As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Omeganauts - calls have ended

• BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    I'll be cheering for you BaconSandwich....unless I end up getting a call...then I'll be the one crushing you.

Duly noted. We have a really amazing bunch cropping up this year, I'll need all the support I can get

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • evan140evan140 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'll probably be the first one out. lol

evan140 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The calls are over! we still have plenty of omegas to identify though :)

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Well, congrats to all. We look forward to watching you compete against each other for our amusement :)

• ChorazinChorazin Lancaster, PARegistered User regular
    Another year of watching the phone, anxious I'll miss the call, and then crushing dissapointment when it never rings. :cry:

Congrats to you lucky fuckers! :D

Twitter//@chorazin
    Google+//http://gplus.to/chorazin
    FitBit//Profile
    3DS Friend Code: 3823 8527 9997
    Wii U NNID Chorazin
  • mishappmishapp CalgaryRegistered User regular
    Congrats to you all. I can't wait to watch the competitions!

• MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    Congratulations, I am pretty sure Nollie was cosplaying as alice so that might win my support, I love that game.

• MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    I echo Chorazin's remarks.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • EmpharaEmphara Registered User regular
    Congrats everyone who's been called so far, I can't wait to watch you all play!! :)

signature.png

it's not explicit, but I'm taking Kiko's reply to him as the word.

• flaznarflaznar Registered User regular
    Freerangekarma FTW!!!!!

• jcuredjcured Registered User regular
    im just really excited to meet everyone and have a blast truely :) winning would be a bonus!

• thePOWblockthePOWblock BrooklynRegistered User regular
    FiascoKnowsNYC checking in!

So...am I the only one who instantly said "Holy Sh*t!" once they realized who was on the phone when they got their call?

-2012 PAX East Omegathon Champ
    -twitter handle: FiascoKnowsNYC
    FiascoKnowsNYC checking in!

So...am I the only one who instantly said "Holy Sh*t!" once they realized who was on the phone when they got their call?

i honestly thought it was like a confirmation fo my mailing address for the 3 day pass haha i was pretty shocked

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    Haha, when I got the call last year, I actually thought Gabe was gonna yell at me - I'd sent him and Tycho a (politely worded, but still) e-mail on a hot-button issue like, weeks before, and I thought it must have offended him. I honestly could not figure out why else he would call. I was totally speechless.

I also got REALLY lucky on the timing. I was on my way home and literally in the ONE SUBWAY STATION where I actually got phone reception when he called.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Pork BunsPork Buns Consumer of Pigs Blue/Orange PortalRegistered User new member
    Hi! I'm excited to get my ass whupped in front of thousands of people by you fine lot. At least I'll look fly getting my ass handed to me.

I've never played Jenga in my life.

Twitter: PorkBuns

Yeah i got lucky too. I was about to hop in the shower. I normally dont pick up for restricted numbers, but because i was in a rush, i picked up without looking at who was calling. Now the rest is history =]

• nollienollie Registered User regular
    Yeah i got lucky too. I was about to hop in the shower. I normally dont pick up for restricted numbers, but because i was in a rush, i picked up without looking at who was calling. Now the rest is history =]

Saaame i usually don't pick up uknown numbers but for some reason I did. And I would have been at work at the time had I not decided to take the day off :)
    MxWood wrote:
    Congratulations, I am pretty sure Nollie was cosplaying as alice so that might win my support, I love that game.
    And i was planning on it! But alas i have gone to the dark side. I'm going to be rocking my sith cosplay instead >:)

Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Good luck to all Omeganauts this year!

PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
  • Pixel BluePixel Blue Registered User regular
    edited March 2013
    -

Pixel Blue on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I am so sad I didn't get a call. I got two calls from Seattle like a week ago but it was telemarketing for a cruise.

#omegaNOT

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    Pixel Blue wrote:
    I lurk waaaay more than I post, 'round these parts, but I'm sophiavolpi on twitter. :D

My hands were shaking for an hour after the phonecall. I can easily see myself going down in the first round and, honestly, I don't think I even mind. Just getting picked at all is so cool I can barely stand it.

I feel the same way! It should be fun :)

Yeah...the only downside to knowing this is that im suddenly really excited for PAX and we're still just under 2 months away lol

• B-NixB-Nix Registered User new member
    edited February 2012
    Allow me to explain.

Today, as I sat at my desk completing mind-numbing corporate mandated training, my cell phone rang. The number was blocked. "Should I answer it?" I asked a coworker. I decided it was almost certainly an automated message trying to get me to sign up for the Triple Play or telling me about a blood drive, but whatever, couldn't hurt. I answer the phone and hear "Hi, this is Gabe from Penny Arcade". Somehow the combination of the fact that I was expecting a robodialer and that the idea that Gabe/Mike would actually be personally calling me is so unbelievable as to be essentially impossible, left me believing initially that this was a recording. Some kind of announcement to all PAX ticketholders or something. Or maybe it was one of those things where you enter a friend's phone number and they get a recorded call. Hell, I remember having a friend called by Optimus Prime. Certainly that was still more likely than Gabe/Mike actually calling me.

All of this occurred in my brain in an instant.

He asked me several questions. Would I like to be an Omeganaut, will I be at PAX for all three days, will I be there Sunday at such and such a time. To each question I answered a very carefully enunciated "Yyyess" because, you know how finicky these voice recognition things can be. Then he asks "Is <sound distinguishable as a mangled version of my name> your real name?" Now I'm like, no way can a robot do that. I say "Yes". He asks me how to pronounce it. At this point most of my brain shut down, but thankfully this verbal exchange (with little variation) is one I've carried out countless times and autopilot kicked in. With a name like mine every introduction goes this way, you get used to it. I could have supplied him with the origin and meaning too if he had asked for it (it has a kickass meaning). I pronounce it for him and I hear Tycho/Jerry (I wonder if this is diagnosable as DID) make a crack along the lines of "Oops we called the wrong guy." This is too much. They are both there and they are on the phone with me and it's real and holy shit! Gabe/Mike told me I have a cool name confirmed my email address and told me they would be in touch by email. I think at this point I managed to come to my senses enough to blurt out "Thanks! That's awesome!" And he said bye and I said bye and I hung up. And then I experienced what might be called mild convulsions for an hour or so while I came to grips with what just occurred.

Did that really just happen? And then, oh my god. In a month or so, I could see on PATV the Penny Arcade guys having that conversation with me. Oh my god, I talked to them like they were a robot. Oh my god, I wasted a call from the Penny Arcade guys.

So uh, yea. I have no idea if you guys will actually see this post but I'm sorry I thought you were a robot. Even though I am sure that I will fail as an Omeganaut spectacularly and immediately (think Nick Arcade contestant), I am deeply honored and awestruck to have been given this opportunity and I wish I had conveyed as much on the phone.

I hope you read and enjoy this. I thought you might find it funny to hear what was going on on the other end of what was likely one of the most underwhelming reactions you've ever had for such a call.

Thank you!

B-Nix on
  • nollienollie Registered User regular
    jcured wrote:
    Pixel Blue wrote:
    I lurk waaaay more than I post, 'round these parts, but I'm sophiavolpi on twitter. :D

My hands were shaking for an hour after the phonecall. I can easily see myself going down in the first round and, honestly, I don't think I even mind. Just getting picked at all is so cool I can barely stand it.

I feel the same way! It should be fun :)

omg i'm the same way. I was shaking so bad trying to explain to my bf that tycho from pa just called me!
    and I third that. I will probably fail miserably but it should be fun :)

Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • RoboshamRobosham Registered User new member
    Really excited to be competing in the Omegathon for the first time. Best of luck to all the other Omeganauts. I promise to give you all the utmost respect and hope that you all consider me to be a better person than you when I claim my rightful place as the Omegaking.

Just curious, is there a page or thread somewhere with information about the omegathon/being a omeganaut?

Gabe and Tycho do not read the forums.

But wow, that's hilarious. Congratulations and welcome to the Omegathon!

Robosham wrote:
    Really excited to be competing in the Omegathon for the first time. Best of luck to all the other Omeganauts. I promise to give you all the utmost respect and hope that you all consider me to be a better person than you when I claim my rightful place as the Omegaking.

Just curious, is there a page or thread somewhere with information about the omegathon/being a omeganaut?

There's some info on the community wiki page, although it could be expanded.
    http://wiki.paxcommunity.net/paxwiki/Omegathon

edited February 2012
    also, from the paxsite FAQ (although it is repeated on the wiki page):

What is The Omegathon?
    The Omegathon is a three-day elimination tournament between randomly selected attendees who compete in games from every category (tabletop, console, PC) culminating in a live championship match on the big stage during PAX closing ceremonies. The final round is always out of left field and is completely insane.

zerzhul on
    I heard via twitter that they release a list of games before omegathon so people can prepare and what not. Is that true? I almost hope not. Just adds to the hecticness of it all imo

They do. Generally everything EXCEPT the final round is revealed a few weeks before the con. The final round is ALWAYS a surprise, though last year they gave us fifteen minutes to get used to the control scheme of Ikaruga (which I'd never played before) before throwing us in the deep end of the pool.

Also, you'll get plenty of e-mail telling you pretty much everything you need to know about being an Omeganaut. The exact instructions sometimes change from one year to the next so you may not find the most up-to-date info on the web.

hmm...good to know. Now i i wont go crazy trying to play every important game that's come out in the past 20 years...plus finish skyward sword and play mass effect 3 when that comes out

• Pork BunsPork Buns Consumer of Pigs Blue/Orange PortalRegistered User new member
    So do finalists get a chance to play again the next year?

I'm fairly certain Mass Effect 3 is going to prevent me from getting any practice in. Or work done.

The winners get their prize and go home - I don't know if they're disqualified from ever competing again, but they don't automatically come back the following year. The team in 2nd place gets to return. This'll be my buddy Ross's third consecutive year - he took 2nd place in 2010 AND 2011. (I don't know what happened to the other 2nd place guy from 2010...did he have to cancel or something?)

• B-NixB-Nix Registered User new member
    @Themiscyra Thanks! I didn't really expect them to see my post, but I was hoping maybe someone would pass it along to them.

How long before the con does the list of Omegathon games get released?

If I'm remembering correctly, it's usually around the same time the schedule goes up. Maybe a week or so afterward. So, early March.