As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Transformers Movie Thread

• ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Bay is going to butcher this movie. :(

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Proto wrote:
    It'll be like: Optimus is a ford and megatron is a vibrator.

DanHibiki on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Proto wrote:
    No he's not. He knows he'd be lynched if he did.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Proto wrote:

This is Michael Bay we're talking about.

Fencingsax on
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    subedii wrote:
    But the best scene would be:

"Megatron must be stopped... no matter the cost..."
    *cue cheesy 80's rock ballad "you've got the touch"*

no...

"Bah weep gra-nah weep ninni bong."
    *cue Weird Al's "Dare to be Stupid"*

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Proto wrote:

Things a Transformers movie needs to be successful:
    Explosions.
    Cheesy dialogue.
    Lots of special effects.
    Lots of huge sets and set pieces.
    Explosions.

Things Michael Bay is well known for in his movies:
    Explosions.
    Cheesy dialogue.
    Lots of special effects.
    Explosions.

I rest my case.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Proto wrote:

Explosions.
    Cheesy dialogue.
    Lots of special effects.
    Explosions.

Explosions.
    Cheesy dialogue.
    Lots of special effects.
    Explosions.

I rest my case.

Yes, but Pearl Harbor was not just Ben's fault.

Fencingsax on
    edited July 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Proto wrote:

Explosions.
    Cheesy dialogue.
    Lots of special effects.
    Explosions.

Explosions.
    Cheesy dialogue.
    Lots of special effects.
    Explosions.

I rest my case.

Pearl Harbor was the scriptwriter's fault more than anything. Cut out the dumb love story, and you've got a movie that involves lots of flying, shooting and bombing. It would've been a modern Tora, Tora, Tora had it not been about Affleck's character and that other guy.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited July 2006
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Proto wrote:

Explosions.
    Cheesy dialogue.
    Lots of special effects.
    Explosions.

Explosions.
    Cheesy dialogue.
    Lots of special effects.
    Explosions.

I rest my case.

Pearl Harbor was the scriptwriter's fault more than anything. Cut out the dumb love story, and you've got a movie that involves lots of flying, shooting and bombing. It would've been a modern Tora, Tora, Tora had it not been about Affleck's character and that other guy.

To add to this, from rumours I've heard, the female Autobot has been cut out. So no robot love story.

... A female robot, with boobs and all. What a stupid concept to begin with.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    To add to this, from rumours I've heard, the female Autobot has been cut out. So no robot love story.

Obviously more stupid than giant robots coming to earth and taking the form of tape recorders? :P

The whole concept's kind of daft when you think about it for 5 seconds, but I just want a fun movie at the end of the day.

subedii on
    edited July 2006
    subedii wrote:
    Richy wrote:

Obviously more stupid than giant robots coming to earth and taking the form of tape recorders? :P

The whole concept's kind of daft when you think about it for 5 seconds, but I just want a fun movie at the end of the day.

Male/Female robots imply that they have sexual reproduction. I mean, think about that. Metallic robot sperms and eggs coming together to create a robot fetus that grows into a full robot over time, in the female robot's belly. Boobs also mean that the female robot can lactate some kind of milk energon, to feed to the newborn robot.

So yes, that is stupider than a robot that turns into a tape recorder.

Alternatively, if we assume Transformers are designed and built (as we've seen many times in the comics and cartoon), that means someone, somewhere, sat down and reflected "Hum, we need a new robot to fight those huge Decepticons. I know, I'll make it a slim, delicate robot with two pointless boobs in front! That's the perfect design to wage a war!"

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • chitowncowboychitowncowboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Everyone looking forward obviously havent heard about the possibility of an 'X-Box 360 Transformer'. =(

chitowncowboy on
    edited July 2006
    Everyone looking forward obviously havent heard about the possibility of an 'X-Box 360 Transformer'. =(
    Bay has stated there won't be any "mass shifting" (Megatron being a pistol that transforms into a giant robot for example) so if there was an Xbox Transformer, it would be tiny. Like one of those bastard minicon things.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Alternatively, if we assume Transformers are designed and built (as we've seen many times in the comics and cartoon), that means someone, somewhere, sat down and reflected "Hum, we need a new robot to fight those huge Decepticons. I know, I'll make it a slim, delicate robot with two pointless boobs in front! That's the perfect design to wage a war!"

I'm sure that design would crop up heavily in Japan. :mrgreen:

subedii on
    edited July 2006
    subedii wrote:
    Richy wrote:

I'm sure that design would crop up heavily in Japan. :mrgreen:
    Actually, the Transformers could be considered a "species", if you're talking about the ones that live on Cybertron. The only reason they look how they do on Earth is to camoflage themselves. So a female robot wouldn't be out of place really.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm afraid I have to reflect the sentiment on Prime being the right type of truck. I mean, it's not like they don't exist anymore or anything. Plus it made more sense for his robot form.

Also, Peter Cullen, Frank Welker, Casey Kasem, and get some guys who can imitate G1 Starscream and Jazz plzkthxbai.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
    edited July 2006
    I don't know if I believe that first picture is actually Prime in truck form. This pic was from that group of "on set" pictures off the Russian website:

transformers_onset_12.jpg

Military vehicle, large and trucklike, so it's a possibility.

And this one was from Comic-Con last year.

transformerscomicon2005-6.jpg

And it's the right kind of truck.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited July 2006
    Proto wrote:

Lets look at his track record.

Under the crap column:
    Two bad boys movies, The Island, Armageddon and Pearl Harbour!

Under the mediocre column:
    The Rock

He likes to make gigantic action films with paper thin plots. And that is exactly what this will be.

Proto on
    edited July 2006
    I don't know if I believe that first picture is actually Prime in truck form. This pic was from that group of "on set" pictures off the Russian website:

transformers_onset_12.jpg

Military vehicle, large and trucklike, so it's a possibility.

That's bonecrusher, check out the closeup of the logo on that same website.

I must say, the vehicles do look pretty cool. and i think they'll still go with a classic look optimus.

Proto on
    edited July 2006
    I actually liked The Island, the non-romance parts of Pearl Harbor, and the first Bad Boys.

Seriously, this is a movie about robots fighting each other on Earth. He could film two kids playing Rock em Sock em Robots for an hour and a half, and it'd still be a passable movie. He'd have to be Uwe Boll-esque in his ignorance to screw this up.

I mean really, what are everyone's expectations for this movie? I want to see robots that transform and fight each other, and that's about it really. As long as it's not embarassingly b-movie, I'm going to be happy.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I mean really, what are everyone's expectations for this movie? I want to see robots that transform and fight each other, and that's about it really. As long as it's not embarassingly b-movie, I'm going to be happy.

aquabat on
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    I think everyone who's expecting a direct shot of childhood bliss in the veins might be dissapointed.

That being said, I personally plan to punch anyone in the ear who I hear bitching about off the wall details that Bay didn't bring to the movie.

"ZOMG OPTIMUS PRIME'S BLASTER GOES PSHAW AND NOT PSHEWW." Hopefully these people will be masturbating their rage so furiously into their livejournals I won't have to go on an ear punching rampage.

Seriously just...Fuck. Is there anything retarded nerds can't try and ruin?

siliconenhanced on
    edited July 2006
    Sex?

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2006
    On my part, I'm not all that worried about Bay directing. I rather enjoyed The Rock and Bad Boyz 2, in a "shut your brian off and sit back" kind of way. I could see myself enjoying a Transformers movie in the same way... God knows the original movie didn't become famous for its storyline or deep phylosophical undertones...

I do hope Bay read the UK G1 Transformers comics. They had some pretty interesting storylines, and good character backgrounds. I do hope that's his inspiration, rather than the US G1 Cartoons.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    A lot of the stuff from the 80s, if we look past our childhood rose coloured geek glasses, was actually a lot of shit. Thankfully, the kids of that day are growing and taking the things we loved back then and putting an awesome updated spin on things.

aquabat on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Sex?
    May I direct you to the forum I modernate?

ViolentChemistry on
    edited July 2006
    I think everyone who's expecting a direct shot of childhood bliss in the veins might be dissapointed.

That being said, I personally plan to punch anyone in the ear who I hear bitching about off the wall details that Bay didn't bring to the movie.

"ZOMG OPTIMUS PRIME'S BLASTER GOES PSHAW AND NOT PSHEWW." Hopefully these people will be masturbating their rage so furiously into their livejournals I won't have to go on an ear punching rampage.

The problem I have with moviemakers changing things is that it's completely unsubstantiated. It's not in the interest of making the movie better, it's in the interest of making the movie different, and usually, dumber.

I don't understand the itch a director or producer has to change fundamental things. Like the type of Truck Optimus is. Trucks like that (I forget the technical name) are all over the road, so why change it? Because you can? The original actors are still alive, so why not give a little nod? Because George Clooney will do it?

Batman Begins proved to me that you can stay true to source material and still make an awesome movie. Converesly, Batman and Robin proved to me that too much change can be a really, REALLY bad thing.

edit: Keep in mind that I realize that in some ways concessions must be made, like Megatron not being a Handgun, for obvious reasons. Those are fine. But if it ain't broke, why fix it?

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

The problem I have with moviemakers changing things is that it's completely unsubstantiated. It's not in the interest of making the movie better, it's in the interest of making the movie different, and usually, dumber.

I don't understand the itch a director or producer has to change fundamental things. Like the type of Truck Optimus is. Trucks like that (I forget the technical name) are all over the road, so why change it? Because you can? The original actors are still alive, so why not give a little nod? Because George Clooney will do it?

Batman Begins proved to me that you can stay true to source material and still make an awesome movie. Converesly, Batman and Robin proved to me that too much change can be a really, REALLY bad thing.
    After reading that article on the wacky adventures of the superman movie production, and the part Bay played in it (so to speak), I'm not that worried about things being wildly changed for no reason.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited July 2006
    WHY wrote:

After reading that article on the wacky adventures of the superman movie production, and the part Bay played in it (so to speak), I'm not that worried about things being wildly changed for no reason.

Explain.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    WHY wrote:

Explain.
    Incredibly long story short, throughout the 90's they really, really screwed around with completely random awful concepts for the Superman movie. Such as him using kryptonian gadgets, lex being an insurance salesman, and Krypton not being destroyed, but rather occupied by robots a la Naboo.

Bay, along with other people like Nick Cage, were rather vocally saying "man, fuck that shit, WHY ARE YOU FUCKING AROUND WITH SUPERMAN LIKE THAT?!"

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited July 2006
    Has anyone else noticed that IMDB doesn't have any cast listed as voices for the Transformers? There's one credit, "Mike Ryan" as "Transformers (voice)" but uh, nothing else.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited July 2006
    Has anyone else noticed that IMDB doesn't have any cast listed as voices for the Transformers? There's one credit, "Mike Ryan" as "Transformers (voice)" but uh, nothing else.

Have they casted voices yet? I remember Don Simpson saying they were going to try to get the original VA's, but I don't know what happened with that.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    The more I think about it, the more I feel that Michael Bay is actually a good choice as director for this movie. I mean he can make a bloody good car chase that man.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    BigDes wrote:
    The more I think about it, the more I feel that Michael Bay is actually a good choice as director for this movie. I mean he can make a bloody good car chase that man.

And now the cars can just fucking tackle each other off of cliffs and/or into buildings and bite motorcycles in half and throw them at each other like molotov cocktails.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    subedii wrote:
    Richy wrote:

Male/Female robots imply that they have sexual reproduction. I mean, think about that. Metallic robot sperms and eggs coming together to create a robot fetus that grows into a full robot over time, in the female robot's belly. Boobs also mean that the female robot can lactate some kind of milk energon, to feed to the newborn robot.

arceecel4oy.jpg

also, as for Bumblebee, from what I've heard elsewear, it seems Volkswagon no longer permits the use of their vehicles likenesses, not even for the toyline.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited July 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    subedii wrote:
    Richy wrote:

arceecel4oy.jpg

also, as for Bumblebee, from what I've heard elsewear, it seems Volkswagon no longer permits the use of their vehicles likenesses, not even for the toyline.

Now that's dumb.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    subedii wrote:
    Richy wrote:

arceecel4oy.jpg

Now that's dumb.

I guess that would explain all the Volkswagons in "Cars" then?

All the "bugs" were actual VW bugs- and Fillmore was a Micro-bus. Plenty of those toys rolling around.

Tach on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Tach wrote:
    Lanz wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    subedii wrote:
    Richy wrote:

arceecel4oy.jpg

Now that's dumb.

I guess that would explain all the Volkswagons in "Cars" then?

All the "bugs" were actual VW bugs- and Fillmore was a Micro-bus. Plenty of those toys rolling around.

I was refering to transformers. It's entirely possible to grant license to one group and not another, for whatever reasons so chosen or legal complications.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
    edited July 2006
    From what I hear VW, Porsche and some other European car manufacturers don't permit their likenesses in "war toys".

So Jazz won't be a 935 :(

hmm. According to wiki, Jazz is going to be a Lamborghini Murcielago in the movie.

Proto on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Lanz wrote:
    I was refering to transformers. It's entirely possible to grant license to one group and not another, for whatever reasons so chosen or legal complications.

Well, alright then.

Tach on