As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Crusader Kings 2 Multiplayer Extravaganza! (Tues/Thurs 10 PM; Save in OP)

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    In the Ireland test game I played last night, England went: Saxon -> Norwegian -> Danish -> the Norwegian heir -> civil war -> Norman at which point I checked who all had claims on the King of England and there were like 15 people.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    The amount of players is likely dependent on exactly how much bandwidth the game uses. We can do some tests after the game launches. If the data is highly compressible we may be able to squeeze more in with a slight latency increase, I'd just write a compressing proxy out to a server that has much higher bandwidth than I do

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    In the Ireland test game I played last night, England went: Saxon -> Norwegian -> Danish -> the Norwegian heir -> civil war -> Norman at which point I checked who all had claims on the King of England and there were like 15 people.

Yeah, damn, that place is nuts. It wasn't until 1084 that I had some peace.

• ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Been having fun with this... considering playing in either Iceland or northern Norway come release.

• Dongs GaloreDongs Galore Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Thanks for recording my interest! I'd love to play with PA guys. Best time for me would probably be after 6 PM CST on any given day, but I'm quite flexible.

If we're reserving nations, I'd quite like to be Wales, but I have no idea what I'm doing so if anyone else wants them I'll defer my claim.

Dongs Galore on
    Phyphor wrote:
    The amount of players is likely dependent on exactly how much bandwidth the game uses. We can do some tests after the game launches. If the data is highly compressible we may be able to squeeze more in with a slight latency increase, I'd just write a compressing proxy out to a server that has much higher bandwidth than I do

Also dependent on how badly bugged multiplayer is on release.

• DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Demiurge wrote:
    Dublin I'll unite Ireland and create the greatest potato kingdom ever.

I'm already Ireland, GTFO unless you want me to crush you.

Also it seems like weekday evenings are the best bet. Is there anyone who can't do 8-12 weekdays besides Vic?

Fine, I'll pick a minor Swedish Noble then.

Edit: I actually had a cool game yesterday as William the Conqueror. I took over every single english province after about 5 years and ended up with 91/10 Demense that gave a relation modifier of -810

So naturally I started giving this shit away to everyone and anyone. First it was people I was related to, anyone in my Dynasty, grown ups, kids, heirless people didn't matter. I eventually stabilise it and everyone fucking loves me, that is, everyone but the French king who declares war after 10 years wanting MY throne.

So I spend the next 4 years playing cat and mouse with my 3000 soldiers because I can't raise anyone in England and have to rely on my Normandy vassals. You'd think I would be pretty boned right? Nope, I assassinate the king and his two year old daughter becomes queen, thanks to a few mercenary bands I'm able to walk around France killing smaller stacks and taking over provinces and eventually her vassals start breaking off and I force her to capitulate and give up all claims to the English throne.

I felt pretty awesome after that.

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    Dongs, you can have Wales (well, Duchy of Gwynedd) but just know it'll be a bit crowded in the British Isles.

Dongs, you can have Wales (well, Duchy of Gwynedd) but just know it'll be a bit crowded in the British Isles.

I suppose I can go for that. It'll be more interesting if there's a lot of people there anyway though, because we'll all end up trying to marry into big mainland families for outside support. It'll be a glorious festival of deceit and diplomacy.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Dram wrote:
    I wish I could take part in this. But being in Australia, it would be impossible to find a decent time to get on with everyone else.

I expect regular progress updates in this thread!
    Zedar wrote:
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'll just pretend I'm playing some random duchy and take credit for any successes they have :)

Or we could quite easily start our own game at a time that better fits European players?

• Kafka87Kafka87 Registered User regular
    Vic wrote:
    Dram wrote:
    I wish I could take part in this. But being in Australia, it would be impossible to find a decent time to get on with everyone else.

I expect regular progress updates in this thread!
    Zedar wrote:
    Yeah I'm in the same boat. I'll just pretend I'm playing some random duchy and take credit for any successes they have :)

Or we could quite easily start our own game at a time that better fits European players?

I'd join in...

steam_sig.png
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    Then it is settled, terrible accents for everybody!

How does 6 PM GMT work for people? Also, is it ok for us to discuss this in this thread?

I can make a European/Australian segment for the OP if you guys need it.

• shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    I'm on the west coast, so any weeknight gaming for me couldn't start earlier than 10pm EST. As for Duchies, I've always been partial to Provence, but if that's a little too close for comfort with carrot/jdarksun I wouldn't mind working with Lombardia. Let me know.

Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
    So we can go 10-12 Eastern weekdays or find something else. Thoughts?

So, help me out here folks with some understanding...

Messin' around on the demo, just looking at all the various areas, I notice that some of the places I might wanna play around in come release are shown as "No Character" currently in the selection screen, but have a ruler of some kind there (and at least a Count or higher) at the start in-game. Indeed, it's like... Nordland and Finnmark that seem to be addled with this (which happen to be the regions that are both Norse and Norwegian). If not, well... Iceland could be fun.

And, just to confirm (sorry, just starting to figure this game out and it's massive with a capital "holy christ what am I doing?!")... you can play wherever you want on the map, correct? My google-fu has yielded confusions and failures, and I'm getting mixed answers so far on if stuff like religion can restrict what you play.

• Brian KrakowBrian Krakow Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Comradebot wrote:

Messin' around on the demo, just looking at all the various areas, I notice that some of the places I might wanna play around in come release are shown as "No Character" currently in the selection screen, but have a ruler of some kind there (and at least a Count or higher) at the start in-game. Indeed, it's like... Nordland and Finnmark that seem to be addled with this (which happen to be the regions that are both Norse and Norwegian). If not, well... Iceland could be fun.

And, just to confirm (sorry, just starting to figure this game out and it's massive with a capital "holy christ what am I doing?!")... you can play wherever you want on the map, correct? My google-fu has yielded confusions and failures, and I'm getting mixed answers so far on if stuff like religion can restrict what you play.

You can play any Christian feudal (i.e., not republics or bishoprics) ruler on the map. The demo tries to restrict you to the four "interesting characters," but if you press play with one of them then click on the territory of another ruler before the loading bar comes up you can play as anyone.

Brian Krakow on
    Comradebot wrote:

You can play any Christian feudal (i.e., not republican) ruler. The demo tries to restrict you to the four "interesting characters," but if you press play with one of them then click on the territory of another ruler before the loading bar comes up you can play as anyone.

Well, there goes my dreams of spreading the glory of the Norse religion across Europe, at least for now. Even as Catholics, Iceland is pretty fucking Viking...

I successfully loaded up as a Muslim ruler though

Yeah I think you're just prevented from playing non-feudal rulers.

• OhtheVogonityOhtheVogonity Registered User regular
    Looks like I've seen this too late. And a service industry schedule won't mesh well with others.

Also, who decided on Valentine's Day as a release date? I know it doesn't really matter, but it strikes me as funny.

Oh freddled gruntbuggly...thy micturations are to me/ As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee
    Yup, just used that trick... loaded up a Swedish follower of the Norse religion by doing so. Interesting...

Ah, interesting. I stand corrected.

It looks like some of the more historically important rulers don't have completely random traits. I was looking at the character I'll be playing (my avatar) and while his traits vary somewhat he always seems to load as a good military leader but a shitty statesman (he apparently was both, historically).

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Looks like I've seen this too late. And a service industry schedule won't mesh well with others.

Also, who decided on Valentine's Day as a release date? I know it doesn't really matter, but it strikes me as funny.
    Same day as the Mass Effect 3 demo, which I will be playing.

Yeah, Boleslaw the Bold is always a kickass general. I think the traits might vary but the base stats and maybe the educations are uniform?

We still have a spot if you can play weekday (late) evenings. Two if the the non-Americans are going to set up a game of their own.

And considering the amount of wife murdering, Valentine's Day is deeply funny.

And considering the amount of wife murdering, Valentine's Day is deeply funny.

This brings back fond memories of the CK portion of the Vermandois LP. Poor crazy romantic Alexander...

edited February 2012
    Well... my crappy little island holding game lasted for 19 years and two months. First ruler... well, I got busted trying to kill a guy I didn't like. Dunno why my heir only lasted two months before BOOM, game over, but whatever.

The annoying thing? I spent the entire game trying to fabricate a claim, nearly two decades of work, and when I finally get it my jackass leader gets himself killed. Bleh.

EDIT: Right, 20 year time limit on the demo, durrrr. Oh well, my brief run as Chief Olaf of the Aland Islands was pretty freakin' fun. I'll most certainly take control of Olaf again come release, and see if I can't turn the lowly House Gren into something half awesome. And maybe see if I can't find a way to stop those stupid Catholics from being all... Catholic.

Comradebot on
    I'd like to change from something swedish to the Duchy of Alania. There's some cool crusading going on in those parts and I want in on it.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    Demiurge wrote:
    I'd like to change from something swedish to the Duchy of Alania. There's some cool crusading going on in those parts and I want in on it.

This is at the other end of the bravery spectrum from me. That area is tough. Granted, with Georgia my Kings kept dying before I could end Gavelkind and I ended up with one territory and one of the big Muslims declaring war on me after my Byzantine alliance expired.

Comradebot wrote:
    Well... my crappy little island holding game lasted for 19 years and two months. First ruler... well, I got busted trying to kill a guy I didn't like. Dunno why my heir only lasted two months before BOOM, game over, but whatever.

The annoying thing? I spent the entire game trying to fabricate a claim, nearly two decades of work, and when I finally get it my jackass leader gets himself killed. Bleh.

EDIT: Right, 20 year time limit on the demo, durrrr. Oh well, my brief run as Chief Olaf of the Aland Islands was pretty freakin' fun. I'll most certainly take control of Olaf again come release, and see if I can't turn the lowly House Gren into something half awesome. And maybe see if I can't find a way to stop those stupid Catholics from being all... Catholic.

Did you want to play? Generalized CK2 discussion should go over in the Paradox thread.

Also: voting time!

Issue 1: Final decision on when we are playing
    Option A - 10 PM - XXXX (probably midnight) Eastern time, at least twice a week on weekdays
    Option B - 8 PM - XXXX (again, probably midnight) Eastern time, at least once a week on weekdays, note that option B means shalmelo can't play

Please indicate preferences as far as days go. M/Tu/W/Th/F. Also indicate if you think ~4 hours/week is not enough and we should play more frequently.

Issue 2a: VOIP
    Option A - Skype
    Option B - Vent

Issue 2b: Is one channel enough or should we have sub channels for the British Isles, the Reconquista, etc.? Y/N on one channel enough.

My votes:
    On 1, Option A, no day preference in particular though I think M/W would be best. I could go more frequent, but I'm a night owl and can sleep late.
    On 2, I have no particular preference, I will go with the majority. I think one channel is fine.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    I have no steady job, so any day works, and I'd rather not shut shalmelo out, so A is fine. I don't have Vent, so I'd rather use Skype. I know I worried about this earlier, but I think we should give the first session a try with one big channel. I mean, this isn't like Borderlands where you might need urgent assistance.

I vote A, Wednesday/Friday would be best but whenever is fine

No preference on 2

A. I can do any weekday. If others want to/can I'd be up for playing more frequently.

Either's fine on 2. I don't have a good microphone, so I'll probably just listen in and type my communications. One channel seems like it would be enough.

Demiurge wrote:

This is at the other end of the bravery spectrum from me. That area is tough. Granted, with Georgia my Kings kept dying before I could end Gavelkind and I ended up with one territory and one of the big Muslims declaring war on me after my Byzantine alliance expired.

I think I can manage it, in my test game I took over 4 muslim provinces that are part of georgia and I would have been able to usurp the throne if my guy hadn't died and left my 1 year old daughter in charge.

DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    Voting: I'm going with A for the timeframe (obv). Two weeknights a week sounds workable. Tuesdays are best for me, but I can make any weeknight other than Friday work (Fridays are catch-up-on-the-DVR nights with my wife).

For VoIP, I like vent, but would be willing to take a crack at Skype if necessary. I think one main channel would be fine for most of the time, but the PA vent does have lots of sub-channels where a few people could move temporarily if something crazy was going down in their region and they needed to talk strategy.

Ok, unless everyone else wants 8-12, which sounds doubtful, it sounds like we're going with option let shalmelo play. So 10-12, twice a week.

No preference on 1 A/B. I would prefer anything other than fridays as a regular schedule

2. I can do either. One channel is fine, people at war / alliance / whatever can probably split off into subchannels if they want to coordinate that stuff

• EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    My work hours mean 10-12 on weekdays is totally doable. And any day is fine, except Friday.

And I also have no preference for comms. Whichever you decide I'll go with.

Should probably get a mic too...

Ok, I think with three vetoes, Fridays are out.