As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twisted Metal] Sweet Tooth valentine

HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
twisted_metal1.jpg

Twisted Metal, the franchise we all played as little kids, comes back next week to PS3. It's been about 11 years since Twisted Metal: Black (the last TM game I played), and this one picks up the same style as that so I'm completely on board. Who's getting it?

Information -

Developer: Eat Sleep Play
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment
Genre: Vehicle combat
Platform: PS3
Release: 14th Febuary 2012 NA, March 7, 2012 EU.
Online Play: 16 Versus
Local Play: 4 Versus
Will also consist of Twisted Metal: Black PS2 Port for Free !

Story -

High up in his penthouse office, a mysterious lunatic holds the infamous Twisted Metal tournament every year. Who is he? Calypso. And his thirst for chaos and destruction can only be quenched with death.
Contestants for Calypso’s Twisted Metal tournament are selected from all over the world to compete for the ultimate prize: Survival. Behind the wheel of the most twisted vehicles imaginable, contestants battle to the death until one, lone victor remains standing. The champion gets one wish granted by Calypso.
But there’s a twist.
This year, instead of offering the champion money, power or fame, rumor has it that Calypso is able to offer more…so much more. However, as contestants step up to prove themselves worthy of the Twisted Metal championship, a mysterious figure is tracking Calypso and preparing to strike back — someone who knows the truth behind where and how Calypso is getting his amazing prizes.

Game modes and weapons -
Deathmatch :
In Death Match, time is not on your side. The first player to score the set amount of points — or the player with the highest score — after a set amount of minutes is the winner of the round. Play for one minute or 90. The game host can set the number of rounds. The only end is death.

2-16 Players
2P Online Splitscreen
4P Splitscreen Offline
2P Splitscreen Offline

Team Deathmatch :
Team Death Match consists of two teams battling to reach a set amount of points OR the most kills after a set amount of time. The game host can set the number of rounds.

2-16 Players
2P Online Splitscreen
4P Splitscreen Offline

Last Man Standing :
In Last Man Standing, each player begins with a finite number of lives. As the battle rages, lives diminish until the last player left alive wins. The game host can set the number of rounds. In the end, only one can claim victory.

2-16 Players
2P Online Splitscreen
4P Splitscreen Offline

Team Last Man Standing: :
In Team Last Man Standing, two to four teams can battle to death. Each team begins a battle with a finite number of lives shared between its team members. The team left alive at the end of the battle is crowned the winner.

2-16 Players
2P Online Splitscreen
4P Splitscreen Offline

Hunted :
In Hunted, one unlucky player is tagged as "prey" while all the other remaining players are tagged "hunters." The hunters must pursue their marked prey until he’s completely massacred.

2-16 Players
2P Online Splitscreen
4P Splitscreen Offline

Hunted Team :
In Team Hunted, each team has a player tagged as "prey." However, all other team members are tagged as "hunters". The hunters must pursue their marked prey until he’s completely massacred.

2-16 Players
2P Online Splitscreen
4P Splitscreen Offline

Nuke :
Nuke is a twisted take on capture the flag. Capture the other team’s leader and drag him back to the missile launcher at your base. Then, by sacrificing the leader into the missile launcher, you can launch a missile directly into the enemy’s statue.
However, the enemy can shoot down the missile in the air. Destroy the enemy's statue, and your team wins.

8-12 Players
2P Online Splitscreen

Weapons -

Shotgun
Missiles
Napalm
Remote Bomb
Ricochet
Sniper Rifle
Super Gun Bullets

And here is the glorious launch trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kLYG0H2xCI

Heisenberg on

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    The fact that David Jaffe seems to be abandoning the Eat Sleep Play boat makes me think this game isn't really going to do that great.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • SkabSkab Registered User regular
    The fact that David Jaffe seems to be abandoning the Eat Sleep Play boat makes me think this game isn't really going to do that great.

Thats not what is happening at all. He will still be there through the end of March working on this.

Also if any of you didn't play the demo of this, you missed out. Game is amazing, and I'm glad I've had it preordered for a while now. <3

steam_sig.png
  • HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
    The demo was great.

• Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    The demo sold me on this. It's the only game that can pull me away from Skyrim. The fact you can use your own music is awesome.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    Day 1

• LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Wait and see.

I haven't really cared much for the TM series after 2, but I was hoping this and Last Guardian could sell me on a PS3. With Last Guardian up in the air, and I'm still uncertain of TM, we'll see. I didn't care much for Black.

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I loved Black. Very much prefer that style over the old. Though I did love me the old games quite a bit with 2 being my favorite of that bunch.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    I was very sad on Friday when I tried to download the demo and found it was no longer available. I enjoyed TM2 a lot, as well as Black.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    it seems real weird that the demo is gone before the game launches. anyway, im excited about this but not excited enough to pick it up day 1 full price. i might get persuaded if word of mouth is really good, but otherwise its on the wait for a price drop pile.

It's depressing how little attention this game is getting on G&T. I fully expected an amazing OP and pages of anticipation.

The game for the record is awesome. In terms of multiplayer competitive depth there has been very vew games anything like it this gen ... Warhawk and Shadowrun come to mind. The demo had some big problems with matchmaking (resolved by the end), but the game itself is a gem ... especially if you are into competitive multiplayer. Multiple weapons, every car handles differently, many different strategies, and bar none some of the best map designs seen in years.

It's a real shame it seems like the game is flying under the radar here. If somebody doesn't volunteer to do an OP I may just have to. This is my most anticipated game of 2012 and I expect to be playing it for months to come.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, demo sold me on the game. Great fun.

I honestly couldn't think of much else to say for the OP. If you come up with something better, Bamelin, let me know and I'll add it.

I don't mind with any of the other cars, but Axel should be Axel and not Sweet Tooth or Grimm strapped to wheels.

Oh no worries Heisenberg I wasn't trying to put you down. Hell I'm glad at least one other person on G&T is looking forward to this as much as I am.

As for an OP, here is a "good start".

The car customization stuff is going to be crazy for this. Can't wait to see what some people come up with.

steam_sig.png
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I find it stupid that they took the demo down. I was gonna get it today and try it out for a last minute decision on a purchase tomorrow, but I guess Sony doesn't want my money.

I'm assuming they took down the demo because it was featured enough that you could potentially play it forever without buying the game ... regardless, for what a fellow forumers two cents is worth, the game is worth the money IF you like multiplayer.

Single player can be finished in a day (from what I've heard), competitive multiplayer will be the legs on this. Shadowrun is STILL played over Live two years later ... I have no doubt the same will be for this.

OP updated.

Much better!

17 different vehicles too all which handle differently and 8 huge maps

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Was the demo one of those timed things? I have it on my PS3 but I haven't tried it yet. Will it not let me play the demo anymore?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    I really loved black as well as the other games so I am thinking about picking this up. I havent played a PS3 game in a long time. I really only have the budget for one game this month and right now it is between this and Crusader Kings 2.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    It was a timed online demo cooljammer.

Bamelin on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    I D/led the demo and I couldn't get 1 fucking online game going.

Not one.

So I'm not sure if I want..

• BladeOfSanjuroBladeOfSanjuro Registered User regular
    The demo was excellent, although with the available vehicles in the demo, Talon(the helicopter) felt a little OP if you knew what you were doing, especially in Nuke mode. The controls for flying with the gatling gun active are very well done. I'm guessing the Rat van(?) is the anti air as it has the player controlled missiles? No one used it in any of the games I played.

Crimson Fury gets ripped through in seconds, I wish it still had the laser that popped people up in the air when you were headed towards them from the original rather than stealing Thumper's flamethrower and making it multidirectional, although the Alt-fire is useful for hit and run. Outlaw seemed to be the monster on the ground for me, and Death Warrant wasn't too bad either.

I'll be picking this up for sure.

steam_sig.png
  • MalickMalick Registered User regular
    I will be playing this for most of the night tonight, PSN: malickai if anyone wants to play.

Welkin7.jpg
    PSN = malickai XBL = gdragonstar Pokemon SS = 3095 7347 2659 Pokemon White = 5028 4446 2386
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    There needs to be more game discussion. Firing this up right now.

• Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    PS3 exclusives really do suffer on this forum don't they? I'll be picking this up asap, just battling my way through Motorstorm Apocalypse at the moment (which, incidentally, is bloody brilliant).

Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    I picked this up and will probably suck for a while, but feel free to add me.

PSN: ConvicNic
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Axen wrote:
    I loved Black. Very much prefer that style over the old. Though I did love me the old games quite a bit with 2 being my favorite of that bunch.

Black was fucked up.

Also, it introduced me to the Rolling Stone's best song, "Paint it Black". Those credits were a nice cap-piece to one amazingly screwed up game.

Not that it having an insanely grim-dark storyline made it bad. It was pretty awesome. Though Sweet Tooths robot was basically unstoppable and incredibly OP.

Archonex on
    Started up the campaign, hard mode is hard. Sweet Tooth's storyline starts out as fucked up as TMB if not moreso.

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Just finished Sweet Tooth's campaign on normal. Once you're used to the controls, this game is awesome.

There are medals, apparently, for completing stages in a certain amount of time. Best I could manage was one gold on the canyon race and bronzes on all the rest.

You also get a free code for Twisted Metal Black in the case too. Which is fun.

• TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I am really enjoying this game but the control scheme seems to be needlessly complicated in spots

for instance, double tap and hold the brake button to reverse? I have never seen that before

why couldn't we just hold the brake button to have it go into reverse?

aside from some very questionable control issues, this game is a must play. It handles the same as TM2 and is balls to the wall insane

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    Axen wrote:

Black was fucked up.

Also, it introduced me to the Rolling Stone's best song, "Paint it Black". Those credits were a nice cap-piece to one amazingly screwed up game.

Not that it having an insanely grim-dark storyline made it bad. It was pretty awesome. Though Sweet Tooths robot was basically unstoppable and incredibly OP.

I went to a Rolling Stone's Concert about 10 years ago, and nearly lost it when they DIDN'T do Paint it Black.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    I love this game. Really like how they did the story mode this time around. (stuff after the credits, btw)

Unlocking Warthog is going to be so brutal. (Gold metal on each map in the story mode on Twisted difficulty.) Also, apparently, my newegg copy doesn't get the Axel preorder. Wish I would have realized this before, I would have got it from elsewhere. :(

Also, don't be fooled by Shadows special weapon rating on the vehicle select screen. Shit hits hard when you have a bit of distance.

steam_sig.png
  • BosskingBossking Commander President Kingdom of CastlefortRegistered User regular
    Matchmaking is so entirely broken in this game. To be honest, I myself haven't played much of this game. When I can pry it away from my girlfriend (a devoted TM fan), I'm going to attempt online, but I've only seen her able to connect to maybe three matches.

What I DID get to play was the Diablo Canyon race in the campaign and oh my god I did not expect that to be so fun. That was simply the perfect way to incorporate racing into TM. Fast and chaotic. I was hoping that would be an online game-type (along withe electric cage match), but it doesn't seem to be the case. Wasted opportunity.

Campaign is great. Love the live-action cutscenes douses in special effects. So damn cheesy, it's great. Calypso...eh. Certainly better than Black's version, and I'm glad he has his TM2 look, but boy, I miss his old personality. TM2's Calypso is probably one of the all-time greatest villains, and this version is just a little too serious for my tastes. And as much as I miss having individual characters for each car, I can understand why they limited it down to 3. Going through identical campaigns for each character wasn't exactly the funnest thing, and it would've been expensive as hell to make live-action cutscenes for each of them. At least this way they get to make a more robust and varied mission list for campaign. Getting gold on Twisted is going to be brutal, though.

• KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Yeah, its really weird that there's modes in single player that could have fitted nicely in multi but weren't used.

I have a feeling they'll be DLC.

• DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tasteticle wrote:
    I am really enjoying this game but the control scheme seems to be needlessly complicated in spots

for instance, double tap and hold the brake button to reverse? I have never seen that before

why couldn't we just hold the brake button to have it go into reverse?

aside from some very questionable control issues, this game is a must play. It handles the same as TM2 and is balls to the wall insane

Bolded for emphasis and truth. I died a couple times in that electric cage match stage because I got stuck on the ice/environment and couldn't figure out how to back up.

Also have you guys experimented with the other modes for special weapons yet, by pressing triangle? It turns Junkyard Dog's special into death incarnate.

DietarySupplement on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There's a fix for the controls. Switch to dual-stick configuration in options.

Looks like matchmaking is having issues though. :(

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //