As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

cool articles

mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Social Entropy++
hi everyone. i hope you all had a good day. this is a thread about cool articles you find on the internet such as :

2012 : WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE DEEP, ELEGANT, OR BEAUTIFUL EXPLANATION?
Edge.org asked 191 famous thinkers "What is Your Favorite Deep, Elegant, or Beautiful Explanation?” Daniel Dennett's choice:

I was told some years ago that the reason why some species of sea turtles migrate all the way across the South Atlantic to lay their eggs on the east coast of South America after mating on the west coast of Africa is that when the behavior started, Gondwanaland was just beginning to break apart (that would be between 130 and 110 million years ago), and these turtles were just swimming across the narrow strait to lay their eggs. Each year the swim was a little longer—maybe an inch or so—but who could notice that? Eventually they were crossing the ocean to lay their eggs, having no idea, of course, why they would do such an extravagant thing.

What is delicious about this example is that it vividly illustrates several important evolutionary themes: the staggering power over millions of years of change so gradual it is essentially unnoticeable, the cluelessness of much animal behavior, even when it is adaptive, and of course the eye-opening perspective that evolution by natural selection can offer to the imagination of the curious naturalist.

but they can be about anything you want. maybe a neat study you didnt think would fit in the science thread or an unexplored cave has been newly discovered, except for political stuff please, i dont want to have to close the thread. thanks and have fun.

mensch-o-matic on

• I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    a bountiful harvest

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    My god Rolo

Thank you for that.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    quote samples would also be a good thing to do

http://www.bloggerbeware.com/2011/05/more-tales-to-give-you-goosebumps.html
    the Werewolf's First Night

How to write your very own Goosebumps short story:

Step 01
    Name your main character (Sex unimportant, must be twelve years old)

Brian is twelve years old.

Step 02
    Quickly introduce, then separate the parents from the protagonist

Brian's parents have signed him up for a day camp that appears to employ no counselors and only a handful of other kids enrolled. So basically they've signed him up to join a gang.

Step 03
    Have protagonist jump to conclusions that eventually turn out to be false

Everyone at this camp is a werewolf.

Step 04
    In stunning twist, have false conclusion bring about the actual conclusion, which must either be as or less credible than the perceived conclusion

No one at this camp is a werewolf. Except for Brian, who is a werewolf.

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    I love the idea for this thread! I use instapaper a lot on my iPad, with the instapaper site and byliner.com

My fave recent article: how your cat is making you crazy
    The parasite, which is excreted by cats in their feces, is called Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii or Toxo for short) and is the microbe that causes toxoplasmosis—the reason pregnant women are told to avoid cats’ litter boxes. Since the 1920s, doctors have recognized that a woman who becomes infected during pregnancy can transmit the disease to the fetus, in some cases resulting in severe brain damage or death. T. gondii is also a major threat to people with weakened immunity: in the early days of the AIDS epidemic, before good antiretroviral drugs were developed, it was to blame for the dementia that afflicted many patients at the disease’s end stage. Healthy children and adults, however, usually experience nothing worse than brief flu-like symptoms before quickly fighting off the protozoan, which thereafter lies dormant inside brain cells—or at least that’s the standard medical wisdom.

But if Flegr is right, the “latent” parasite may be quietly tweaking the connections between our neurons, changing our response to frightening situations, our trust in others, how outgoing we are, and even our preference for certain scents. And that’s not all. He also believes that the organism contributes to car crashes, suicides, and mental disorders such as schizophrenia. When you add up all the different ways it can harm us, says Flegr, “Toxoplasma might even kill as many people as malaria, or at least a million people a year.”

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote:
    I love the idea for this thread! I use instapaper a lot on my iPad, with the instapaper site and byliner.com

The parasite, which is excreted by cats in their feces, is called Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii or Toxo for short) and is the microbe that causes toxoplasmosis—the reason pregnant women are told to avoid cats’ litter boxes. Since the 1920s, doctors have recognized that a woman who becomes infected during pregnancy can transmit the disease to the fetus, in some cases resulting in severe brain damage or death. T. gondii is also a major threat to people with weakened immunity: in the early days of the AIDS epidemic, before good antiretroviral drugs were developed, it was to blame for the dementia that afflicted many patients at the disease’s end stage. Healthy children and adults, however, usually experience nothing worse than brief flu-like symptoms before quickly fighting off the protozoan, which thereafter lies dormant inside brain cells—or at least that’s the standard medical wisdom.

But if Flegr is right, the “latent” parasite may be quietly tweaking the connections between our neurons, changing our response to frightening situations, our trust in others, how outgoing we are, and even our preference for certain scents. And that’s not all. He also believes that the organism contributes to car crashes, suicides, and mental disorders such as schizophrenia. When you add up all the different ways it can harm us, says Flegr, “Toxoplasma might even kill as many people as malaria, or at least a million people a year.”

I just heard about this at work today

it all makes so much sense

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
    One more reason not to trust cats.

BLM - ACAB
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    well mensch if you want to read cool articles i heard that there's this site called reddit where

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    put all cats in sacks

• The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote:

Scientific evidence for the cause of crazy cat ladies?

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    PiptheFair wrote:
    put all cats in sacks

then take them home and love them forever

reposig.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Fandyien wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:
    put all cats in sacks

eeeeeeeeeeeeee yes

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    KITTIES

in under two weeks I will be heading home for spring break

and I will be reunited with my cats

so excited!

• 150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    A rad article about bananas, and the uber-complexity of how bananas are shipped, stored, ripened using organic and synthetic plant hormones, and distributed before they hit grocery stores

http://www.ediblegeography.com/spaces-of-banana-control/

• Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    Guys

I fucking love This American Life.

Like, woah

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote:

Tweak the wording to tell us that it makes people collect more cats and stay in doors all the time until they become the stereotypical crazy cat lady and this is basically an SCP article.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Veretas wrote:
    lostwords wrote:

I just heard about this at work today

it all makes so much sense
    HIDDEN KILLER science stories are the best SCIENCE! stories.

They are coincidentally the only science stuff people want to read about, since longitudinal studies of cancer rates among non-smokers who live around smokers are much more depressing.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    PiptheFair wrote:
    put all cats in sacks

Kits, cats, sacks, wives, how many were going to St. Ives?

BLM - ACAB
  • AeollasAeollas Registered User regular
    Ubik wrote:

This is wonderful

• Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    BYToady wrote:
    lostwords wrote:

Tweak the wording to tell us that it makes people collect more cats and stay in doors all the time until they become the stereotypical crazy cat lady and this is basically an SCP article.

It actually has a mind control effect on rats - rats infected with it are attracted to cats instead of scared of them.

broken image link
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    Guys

I fucking love This American Life.

Like, woah

seriously it's so good

i have the app on my ipad

3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    Fandyien wrote:
    PiptheFair wrote:
    put all cats in sacks

My brother and sister in law are looking after their friends 6 month old kitten for a week

I just played with this kitten for like 2 solid hours. Cutest, most affectionate, easy to please kitty ever.

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    150cc wrote:
    A rad article about bananas, and the uber-complexity of how bananas are shipped, stored, ripened using organic and synthetic plant hormones, and distributed before they hit grocery stores

http://www.ediblegeography.com/spaces-of-banana-control/

ilu, one fiddy. this thing is cool.