As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HDMI/DVI Switcher?

Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..."a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
I watch Netflix on a TV through an HDMI cable, and I have a DVI monitor that I connect to when doing work. Since I'm doing all of this off of a MacBook, I constantly have to switch the cables out.

Is there a switcher I could get so I could just plug both of them in and then switch inputs at will? I found what seemed to be one on Monoprice but it was $60, and I'm just wondering if there's anything else out there. Google hasn't really been helpful.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
oE0mva1.jpg
Mike Danger on

• useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    Typically you are not going to find anything cheaper then Monoprice for things like that.

• HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This with a HDMI -> DVI dongle? It's only $16.50 and an adapter is like $2.50.

Handgimp on
    PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'm a bit unclear here...you have a single source, and two monitors (the TV, and the monitor) that you want to switch between? Like, leave the MacBook hooked up to both at all times, and choose which displays?

I ask mainly because it will affect recommendations. For instance, the device Handgimp linked is (I believe) only able to switch two inputs to a single output, not the other way around. Many of these things are not bidirectional.

EDIT: If so, something like this might work? It does more than you need (since it's a 4x2, and you only need 1x2) but sometimes that's just how it goes. Runs $38 or so. Also there's this, but something about it just looks...sketchy? Only $21, though, and ships through Amazon Prime (and fulfilled by Amazon, so a return would be easy if it doesn't work properly).

mcdermott on
  • HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    I'm a bit unclear here...you have a single source, and two monitors (the TV, and the monitor) that you want to switch between? Like, leave the MacBook hooked up to both at all times, and choose which displays?

I ask mainly because it will affect recommendations. For instance, the device Handgimp linked is (I believe) only able to switch two inputs to a single output, not the other way around. Many of these things are not bidirectional.

EDIT: If so, something like this might work? It does more than you need (since it's a 4x2, and you only need 1x2) but sometimes that's just how it goes. Runs $38 or so. Also there's this, but something about it just looks...sketchy? Only $21, though, and ships through Amazon Prime (and fulfilled by Amazon, so a return would be easy if it doesn't work properly).

Ah shit, you're right. Epic reading comprehension fail on my part. :/

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    The quickest solution is a Matrix Switch which allows you to take any input and send independently to any output. I run a 4x4 for my main living areas and it works great. That gives you flexibility to grow as well.

• Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:

Yeah, this was my thinking.

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg