As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Statutory [Rap]

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I've only heard Common's work with Handsome Boy Modelling School, but it is really good.

I nominate HBMS for best interludes in a rap album.
    EDIT: was thinking of Casual. sorry.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Ooh, what's Lone Wolf and Cub?
    You know the audio sample about how the kids father was the Shogun's decapitator? And even the audio sample about the slit of the throat that makes the sound of the whistling winter wind or whatever? Those are taken from the English dub of the Lone Wolf and Cub live action movies. There are 6 of them, which have (thankfully) been released on DVD in North America. Here's an amazon.com link to the box set which contains all six; they're also available individually.

The live action movies are also based off the manga, which is a very famous and very popular one. If I'm not mistaken Frank Miller has cited it as a big influence, at the very least he wrote the introductions to the original English run of the comic. Here's the amazon.com link to the first of the 28 volume manga, each being about 300 pages. They're incredible. If it wasn't for GZA I never would have figured out about them and followed up on them.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Eh.

I recommend Lupe Fiasco if you havent already heard him. Hes underground here in Chicago. Im not a big fan, but hes supossed to be good.
    Lupe Fiasco is great. His major lable debut was slated to be out by now, but it got leaked on the internet and his label decided to delay it to rework all the tracks. I have the leaked version and it's excellent, and his song "Kick Push" about skateboarding is still one of the coolest, most laid back, most refreshing songs I've heard in a while.

Otherwise all of his stuff that has been released was on mixtapes sold through his little production company, as far as I know. I'm not sure how many mixtapes he has, but that's where he's really made his name so far. I got one of the internet and I was quite pleased with it.

I'm really looking forward to the major label debut. I'm definitely copping when it drops.

Here's a youtube.com for the "Kick Push" video.

• Options
    edited July 2006
    You should give The Tipping Point by The Roots a listen. It's probably my favorite hip-hop album. Also, try Mos Def (his collaboration with Talib Kweli, Blackstar, is wonderful).
    The Tipping Point is viewed by many long time Roots fans as their worst effort. I really like it, but I still don't think it was as good as either Things Fall Apart or Phrenology. I go back and forth between TFA and Phren, which one I think is better, but either way they're both blindingly brilliant, noticeably more complete and mature than like 99% of all rap releases.

Game Theory is coming out soon and has promo copies circulating, apparently. I'm geeked as all fucking git out to cop that thing. ?uestlove has more or less washed his hands of The Tipping Point (it was an attempt to please the label, which didn't work, so they hastily put out two Best Of albums to be free from their contract and work on Game Theory).

Also, I'm bolding this part:

AQUA HAVE YOU REALLY NOT LISTENED TO COMMON? IF THIS IS THE CASE YOU REALLY NEED TO LET ME KNOW ASAP SO WE CAN FIX THIS FUCKED UP, HORRIBLE SITUATION.

• Options
    chitowncowboychitowncowboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Eh.

I recommend Lupe Fiasco if you havent already heard him. Hes underground here in Chicago. Im not a big fan, but hes supossed to be good.
    Lupe Fiasco is great. His major lable debut was slated to be out by now, but it got leaked on the internet and his label decided to delay it to rework all the tracks. I have the leaked version and it's excellent, and his song "Kick Push" about skateboarding is still one of the coolest, most laid back, most refreshing songs I've heard in a while.

Otherwise all of his stuff that has been released was on mixtapes sold through his little production company, as far as I know. I'm not sure how
    many mixtapes he has, but that's where he's really made his name so far. I got one of the internet and I was quite pleased with it.

I'm really looking forward to the major label debut. I'm definitely copping when it drops.

I refuse to believe that is primarily about skateboarding. Its a metaphor for anyone struggling to find a sense of freedom/happyness in an opressive world.

Im digging for that, as its obviously an anthem for successful drug dealers. Not bad though.

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    The Streets and Dizzie Rascal are pretty much the most terrible thing that has happened, ever. Not just the worst thing to happen to rap. Not just the worst thing to have ever happened to music. But the worst thing to have happened to the whole god damned universe. Seriously, after hearing them I'm actually kind of looking forward to heat death or a big crunch as potential highlights of the history of the universe.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I refuse to believe that is primarily about skateboarding. Its a metaphor for anyone struggling to find a sense of freedom/happyness in an opressive world.

Im digging for that, as its obviously an anthem for successful drug dealers. Not bad though.
    Well yeah, it immediately works on a lot of levels which is why it's so clever. It's also just about romance and meeting someone who is as passionate about something as you are. I don't even like skateboarding very much, but the way that song describes it and brings it to life makes it interesting to me all over again. And let's not fool around, for a mainstream rap single (it debuted on TRL) it's like the goddamn 9th Symphony or some shit.

• Options
    Erayc3rErayc3r Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I recomend just about anything on Battle Axe records , more specifically swollen members , I love those guys. Ya also cant go wrong with a little bit of deltron 3030, aesop rocks or dr octagon

Erayc3r on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Fuggit -- let's get this hip hop joint bumping. I'mma post some of my favorite lyrics. If anyone hasn't heard Atmosphere's Lucy Ford EP, y'all are slipping. I don't care what anyone says about anybody, these lyrics are incredible:
    Slug wrote:
    I used to know this woman who had the most beautiful
    tattoos on the top sides of both of her hands
    She was forty-three years old and as far as I know
    had never yet been with a man
    It's not that she wasn't attractive;
    she was beautiful, but it was the way that she interacted
    She was aggresively passive to the point where she
    would've intimidated any man that ever tried to catch it
    on the right hand she had a tattoo of a nude girl
    she claimed it is what God resembled
    but on the left she had a mirrored image of the same female
    and this one she explained looked like the devil
    I remember once watching her touch her own breasts
    how the tattoos smiled as they stared down her stomach
    as if anticipating when they'd be allowed to caress
    the sweet flower that they both seemed to hunger (sweet flower)
    Now maybe I was high but it felt so right
    heaven and hell both take to this woman's womb
    It didn't make sense how she could commence
    touching herself with me wide awake in the same room
    but if I've learned anything in my years (my years)
    I learned I no longer believe in surprise (in surprise)
    but what happened next damn near stold my tears
    the tattoos came alive right in front of my eyes
    they both slowly stood up and climbed off her hands
    and showed me why she never took some time with a man
    they climbed deep inside of this woman's garden
    she closed her eyes and she gently bit her bottom lip
    I stepped I left and I don't regret leaving
    and I'll never forget all the things I saw that evening
    a glimpse of religion a piece of coming closer
    to understanding more about what intrigues me most
    I didn't get turned on I just got turned
    I wasn't as aroused as I was concerned
    for each one of em I've hurt
    and every time I've been burned
    I've got a lot to teach but even more to learn
    so now I keep my eyes open hoping to take in all I can
    about women taking in all she can
    And for as long as I breathe I'll save receipt in my memory
    for that woman with the tattooed hands

(Chorus: repeat 5x till song fades)
    There's good and evil in each individual fire
    Identifies needs and feeds our desire
    As long as we keep our spirit inspired
    She can bite her bottom lip all she wants

• Options
    edited July 2006
    One more, also a relatively brief one, "Up" by Gift of Gab:
    To the ink on the paper from the top of the brain
    Ghetto youth zone rythms that are louder than pain
    From Suedo to Cali it's all the same, people in chains
    Where H2O Children cock it back and take aim
    See, just the other day I was catchin' a cab
    The driver came from his country to America to grab
    A slice of the pie, he said my people haven't seen
    The extremeness of hard times, I said "what you mean?"
    He said it's people in his country that would love to live
    Inside these ghetto's, they live inside of shacks, and the kids
    Don't see any kinds of education, boys and girls
    Starve and die, and no money when your country is third world
    I said "I yearn for change all over the map
    From a system deeply rooted in hate, it sets traps
    Crack, liquor stores, guns, plus our culture was robbed
    And we was sought, self-hated, major belief that God
    Was outside, denied free thought, feelin' the pressure
    Of the hellish eternity visions of, the oppressor
    With the long white beard, lookin' down I keep, hopin' it
    'll change 'til then, please don't expect me to get over it"
    Before I bounced out, I said "Peace, love
    Ain't no reason why nobody need to suffer in pov-
    erty, while others gettin' richer it's the same old song"
    Before I closed the door and bounced I told him "change gon' come"
    See I know they don't tell us that we really of Gods
    Dwellin' in infinity, through the power of now
    I spread the good Karma out, grab a pen a sheet
    And empty out my mind, so the ancestors can speak through me
    I tweak the beats, rock, eat the beats up
    Dwellin' in the Fourth Dimension of spirit I'm Goin' Up
    And it can't stop, don't stop, won't stop, ain't gon' stop
    Aim for the top, straight blowin' up

I might post more as I remember which ones get me really excited. In the meantime, DISCUSS.

• Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    How is it those Lord of the Rings geeks get to 3 pages when Hip Hop is obviously supremely more awesome and we're only at 2 pages?

Laaaame

Because DeaconKnowledge hasn't hit the thread yet.

I've recently been raving about Animal in Man by Dead Prez in the G&T thread. It's a loose take on George Orwell's Animal Farm, but instead it revolves around the roots of revolution instead of communism and fascism. Listen to it, honestly.

Also, it's been REALLY DRY for Hip Hop this summer. Just a bunch of cookie-cutter mainstream bullshit. Fortunately I have my extensive backlog to go back into. I highly recommend, if you haven't gotten them already, to check out Outkast's discography, particularly Southernplayalisticadillacmusik and Aquemini. Also, you may want to check out Mr. Lif for some more current stuff.

I'm not generally into the Mixtape circuit, but one guy you have to check out is Joe Budden. The man speaks to me like no other MC has ever done, plus he's very introspective and self-humiliating, which is a breath of fresh air from a mainstream-ish Hip hop artist.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I'm not generally into the Mixtape circuit, but one guy you have to check out is Joe Budden. The man speaks to me like no other MC has ever done, plus he's very introspective and self-humiliating, which is a breath of fresh air from a mainstream-ish Hip hop artist.
    Does he only have one mixtape out? Or is there one in particular I should look for? I've never listened to shit by that dude, minus one single he had way back when, and I don't remember him particularly catching my attention.

I have a few mixtapes on my hard-drive, but so far every one I've listened to has been pretty disappointing. Even the Little Brother one. It was clearly the laziest stuff they'd put out, without any interesting topics, and the beats were just flat uninspired.

And as far as Outkast goes, I've listened back through their catalogue minus Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik (or whatever it is) and I like it a lot, but I'm not even going to fuck around, I still think The Love Below is the most incredible thing they're put out. I'm convinced the whole album is a concept piece telling the story of the breakdown of the modern family and an attempt to explain the prevalence of single mothers, complete with updated "My Favorite Things". It's blindingly brilliant. I should go find the Amiri Baraka quote that got me started on the whole thing and write something about that.

• Options
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Does he only have one mixtape out? Or is there one in particular I should look for? I've never listened to shit by that dude, minus one single he had way back when, and I don't remember him particularly catching my attention.

Mood Musik Volume 2. Trust me. It made me a Budden fan. The great thing about it is that it's less a mixtape and more an album. Joey put together some good original songs (my personal favorite's being If I die tomorrow, the future and 3 Sides to a story) to show that he can make a solid album.

celery77 wrote:
    I have a few mixtapes on my hard-drive, but so far every one I've listened to has been pretty disappointing. Even the Little Brother one. It was clearly the laziest stuff they'd put out, without any interesting topics, and the beats were just flat uninspired.
    Which LB mixtape? Chitlin Circuit 1.5? I hated that one.

My problem with Little Brother is that they really run together after a while, especially in production. 9th Wonder needs to switch his style up (particularly his drums) if he's going to stay relevant.
    celery77 wrote:
    And as far as Outkast goes, I've listened back through their catalogue minus Southernplayalisticcadillacmuzik (or whatever it is) and I like it a lot, but I'm not even going to fuck around, I still think The Love Below is the most incredible thing they're put out. I'm convinced the whole album is a concept piece telling the story of the breakdown of the modern family and an attempt to explain the prevalence of single mothers, complete with updated "My Favorite Things". It's blindingly brilliant. I should go find the Amiri Baraka quote that got me started on the whole thing and write something about that.

A lot of people don't seem to understand the Love Below. Personally I think it's groundbreaking and really opened people's eyes to what can be done within the boundaries of the genre. My personal Favourites on that album are Prototype, Vibrate, and Pink and Blue. Actually, I love Pink and Blue so much the violin solo at the end is the ringtone on my home phone.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Oh, and I love Marshall Mathers, his whole catalogue. I think Eminem is really really talented actually.
    He has a really annoying voice.

Also, some of his lyrics I've heard on the radio (don't ask, I don't remember) were hilariously bad. Or was it painfully bad? I remember there was at least one song that I just couldn't listen to.

mrflippy on
  • Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    P.O.S, The Roots, Felt (Murs and Slug), Murs, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Mr. Lif, Cannibal Ox, C-Rayz Walz, Rjd2, Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Blackalicious, Jedi Mind Tricks, Madvillain, MF Doom, Gemini and Danger Mouse, Nas, Talib-Kweli, Blackstar, Wu-Tang of course, Ghostface Killah

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Mood Musik Volume 2. Trust me. It made me a Budden fan. The great thing about it is that it's less a mixtape and more an album. Joey put together some good original songs (my personal favorite's being If I die tomorrow, the future and 3 Sides to a story) to show that he can make a solid album.
    I'll definitely try it out.
    Which LB mixtape? Chitlin Circuit 1.5? I hated that one.

My problem with Little Brother is that they really run together after a while, especially in production. 9th Wonder needs to switch his style up if he's going to stay relevant.
    No, I actually really liked Chitlin Circuit 1.5. The "remixes" of the old songs were lame, but the new songs were all really good. The beat on "Starvation" is one of my favorite 9th Wonder has ever done and the lyrics still kept my attention. Plus, one of my favorite lines of recent memory:

"I'll throw your Microsoft ass out of 98 windows"

(can't remember which song though). No, the mixtape that sucked was Separate But Equal, and I guess it's a DJ Drama & 9th Wonder mixtape, so maybe that's why the beats were so lame.

And I feel you that 9th Wonder can get stuck in a rut, but he's still got some incredible beats in him. Have you heard God's Stepson? My friend was talking about how much he loved the Ether beat on there, so I checked it out, and DAMN -- if only 9th would sound like that more often. It's SOOO much better than the original, only problem is that he has to use the vocals with the curse words cut out, so like half the verse is always dropping out. It's bad-ass shit, though.
    A lot of people don't seem to understand the Love Below. Personally I think it's groundbreaking and really opened people's eyes to what can be done within the boundaries of the genre. My personal Favourites on that album are Prototype, Vibrate, and Pink and Blue. Actually, I love Pink and Blue so much the violin solo at the end is the ringtone on my home phone.
    Seriously, though, that album is straight-up slept on. It just went too far outside hip hop and hip hop heads couldn't get into it, and then people outside of hip hop couldn't seem to find all the stuff that's going on with it because they were put off by "The Way You Move" song or whatever. I think it's quietly one of the best albums in a LOOOOONG time, though, and I hope people come to see it eventually.

• Options
    edited July 2006
    mrflippy wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    Oh, and I love Marshall Mathers, his whole catalogue. I think Eminem is really really talented actually.
    He has a really annoying voice.

Also, some of his lyrics I've heard on the radio (don't ask, I don't remember) were hilariously bad. Or was it painfully bad? I remember there was at least one song that I just couldn't listen to.

I wholeheartedly agree. Some Eminem tracks are just unlistenable.

Plus, I used to like Eminem when he was the crazy i'll say anything Em. Ever since he started rolling with G-Unit, his style got lazier and lazier.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    chitowncowboychitowncowboy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Bishop Brigantes About 2 Change isnt bad. Inspirational lyrics, but I dont like the sound at all.

watch the video here

And Kick, Push doesnt seem to be about skateboarding at all, beyond the metaphors on the surface. I get angry everytime someone says "Kick Push, a song about skateboarding" because its not. If someone wants to recieve it that way, thats fine, but its not at the core a song about skateboarding. Skateboarding is just a perpetual simile he uses to tell the story about a person's pursuit of happiness. And drug dealing. :roll:

This is my first Lupe song (Ive heard Diamonds but I quite halfway through) and it seems to me he is trying to play the whole field and appeal to whoever will pick up on what. For the hustlers, this is an ode, for the skaters (albeit an ignorant perception) its for them, for those that keep pushing through the shit its an anthem to their lifestyle. But its not, nor was it meant to be recieved as a song about skateboarding.

chitowncowboy on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    P.O.S, The Roots, Felt (Murs and Slug), Murs, Atmosphere, Sage Francis, Mr. Lif, Cannibal Ox, C-Rayz Walz, Rjd2, Aesop Rock, Brother Ali, Blackalicious, Jedi Mind Tricks, Madvillain, MF Doom, Gemini and Danger Mouse, Nas, Talib-Kweli, Blackstar, Wu-Tang of course, Ghostface Killah

Couple things:

Personally, I feel Atmosphere has the most boring voice outside of Joe Scudda of The Justus League

Cannibal OX needs another Album.

Aesop Rock's style really gets on my nerves. I just can't take him in unless someone else is on the track to even it out. his voice is too aggravating and erratic for me

Jedi Mind Tricks were good until Jus Allah left. Now all Vinnie Paz talks about is how much he hates faggots. Excellent production though.

Madvillain, MF Doom and Viktor Vaughn are all the same person.

OH, also, if you like Wu-Tang, check out Think Differently presents Wu-Tang meets the Indie Culture. Awesome album, which coincidentally contains my favourite Aesop Rock track - Preservation with Del TFH.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    mrflippy wrote:
    Here's what I consider to be the unfuckwittable song by Marshall Mathers (and his lyrics are always nice, you're crazy):
    Eminem wrote:
    Come on, let's cut the bullshit enough
    Let's get it started, let's start addressing this issue and open it up
    Let's take this shit back to the basement
    And we can disscuss statements thats made on this tape
    And its whole origin of the music that we all know and love
    The music that we all enjoy the music you all accuse me of tryna destroy
    Let's rewind it to 89 when I was a boy on the east side of Detroit
    Crossin 8 Mile in the border in the hate territory
    I'd like to share a story, this is my story and cant no body tell it for me
    You will well inform me, I am well aware that I don't belong here
    You've made that perfectly clear, I get my ass kicked damn near everywhere
    From Bel-Air shopping center just for stopping in there
    From the black side all the way to the white side
    Okay there's a bright side a day that I might slide
    You may call it a past I call it haulin my ass
    Through that patch of grass over them railroad tracks
    Oh them railroad tracks, them old railroad tracks
    Them good old notorious oh well known tracks

[Chorus x2]
    Come on lets go back
    Follow the yellow brick road as we go on another episode
    Journey with me as I take you through this nifty little place
    I once used to call home sweet home

[Verse 2- Eminem]
    I roam the streets so much they call me a drifter
    Sometimes I stick up a thumb just to hitch hike
    Just to get picked up to get me a lift to 8 mile and van dike
    And steal a god damn bike from somebody's backyard
    And drop it off at the park that was the half way mark
    To meet Kim had to walk back to her mama's them dramas after dark
    To sneak me in the house when I'm kicked out my mom's
    Thats about the time I first met Proof when poof he'd carry on the set
    Set eyes born in and out some flyers, he was doin some talent shows
    At center line, I had told him to stop by and check this out sometime
    He looked at me like I'm out my mind shook his head like white boys dont know how to rhyme
    I spit out a line and rhymed birthday with first place
    And we both had the same rhymes that sound alike
    We was on the same shit that Big Daddy Kane shit with compound syllables sound combined
    From that day we was down to ride somehow we knew we'd meet again somewhere down the line

[Chorus x2]
    Come on lets go back
    Follow the yellow brick road as we go on another episode
    Journey with me as I take you through this nifty little place
    I once used to call home sweet home

[Verse 3- Eminem]
    My first year in 9th grade, can't forget that day at school
    It was cool till your man MC Sham came through
    And said that Boom was the brain cuz the clan makes troops
    It was rumors but man god damned they flew
    Musta been true because man we done banned they shoes
    I had the new ones the Cool J, Ice land swayed too
    And we just through them in the trash like they yesterday's news
    Guess who came through next, X clam debut
    Professor X and glorious exists in a state of red, black, and green
    With a key sissies now with this bein a new trend
    We don't fit in crackas is out with Cactus albums
    Blackness is in, African symbols and medallions
    Represents black power and we ain't know what it meant
    Me and my man Howard and ??? would go to the mall with 'em
    All over our necks like we're showin 'em off not knowin at all
    We was bein laughed at you ain't even half black
    You ain't supposed to have that homie let me grab that
    And that Flavor Flave clock we gon' have to snatch that
    All I remember is meetin back at Manix's basement
    Sayin how we hate this, our races wit dope the x clan take this
    Which reminds me back in 89 me and Kim broke up for the first time
    She was tryna two time me and there was this black girl
    At our school who thought I was cool cuz I rapped so she was kinda eyein me
    And oh the irony guess what her name was ain't even gon' say it plus
    The same color hair as hers was and blue contacts and a pair of jugs
    The bombest god damn girl in our whole school if I could pull it
    Not only would I become more popular but I would be able to piss Kim off at the same time
    But it backfired I was supposed to dump her but she dumped me for this black guy
    And thats the last I ever seen or heard or spoke to the oh foolish pride girl
    But I've heard people say they heard the tape and it ain't that bad
    But it was I singled out a whole race and for that apologize
    I was wrong cuz no matter what color a girl is she still a (bitch?)
    In case you don't know the story, he got into some shit-talking with Benzino, the owner of The Source magazine, so Benzino started going to great lengths to find dirt on Eminem and eventually found a copy of a cassette he had made in high school where he used the word n**** and then used The Source to publicize this about Eminem in an attempt to smear him. So this song addresses the origins of the tape, appears to be excusing it, discusses his whole background in the process, and then goes on to sincerely apologize for it despite the expectations he builds through the song. Plus it's vocally incredible. The whole second verse is sung in a separate voice, and everything sounds clean and great and good. It's his best work, no doubt.

Also, here's a cool essay about Eminem by some dude that regularly writes for the New Yorker. It's pretty smart, although there are some little things he does in it that annoy me and/or I disagree with. Also, here's his favorite Eminem verse, which is also a favorite of mine, doing shit that other MCs just don't do:
    Eminem wrote:
    Peace to Thirstin Howl, A. L., and Wordsworth
    My mother smoked crack, I had a premature birth
    I’m just a nerd cursed with badly disturbed nerves
    You wanna be the one to step up and get served first?
    Ninety-nine percent of aliens prefer earth
    I come here to rule the planet, starting with your turf
    I hid a secret message inside of a word search
    With smeared letters runnin’ together in blurred spurts
    I hang with male chauvinist pigs and perverts
    Who point water pistols at women and squirt shirts
    Been a bad boy since diapers and Gerber’s
    My first words were bleep bleep and curse curse
    Never had it and I still don’t deserve dirt
    My breath still stinks and I’m on my third Cert
    Yanking out my stitches and hollering “Nurse, nurse,
    You said this shot would numb it, chick it just hurts worse”
    That's enough about Eminem for now.

• Options
    edited July 2006
    Bishop Brigantes About 2 Change isnt bad. Inspirational lyrics, but I dont like the sound at all.

watch the video here

And Kick, Push doesnt seem to be about skateboarding at all, beyond the metaphors on the surface. I get angry everytime someone says "Kick Push, a song about skateboarding" because its not. If someone wants to recieve it that way, thats fine, but its not at the core a song about skateboarding. Skateboarding is just a perpetual simile he uses to tell the story about a person's pursuit of happiness. And drug dealing. :roll:

This is my first Lupe song (Ive heard Diamonds but I quite halfway through) and it seems to me he is trying to play the whole field and appeal to whoever will pick up on what. For the hustlers, this is an ode, for the skaters (albeit an ignorant perception) its for them, for those that keep pushing through the shit its an anthem to their lifestyle. But its not, nor was it meant to be recieved as a song about skateboarding.

Meh, Ghetto Story is his best song anyway.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Personally, I feel Atmosphere has the most boring voice outside of Joe Scudda of The Justus League
    I dunno man, have you listened to any Sage Francis? I want to respect the guy, but his voice is just so goddamn unlistenable at times. I'll listen to his albums a few times and then never go back, because they just don't hold my attention that well.
    Maybe not, Cold Vein is pretty unfuckwittable. If they bring out anything that's not another mega classic, I'll just be disappointed. I'm thinking it'll be best if they just leave it, a la Dr. Octagon, and let us live with Cold Vein forever.
    Ahem - Madvillain is actually MF DOOM and Madlib working together, so techincally it's something different. And is Viktor Vaughan the name he uses for more ambient, less hip hop stuff? I haven't really listened to much of it yet, so I can't say for myself.

• Options
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    I dunno man, have you listened to any Sage Francis? I want to respect the guy, but his voice is just so goddamn unlistenable at times. I'll listen to his albums a few times and then never go back, because they just don't hold my attention that well.
    Maybe not, Cold Vein is pretty unfuckwittable. If they bring out anything that's not another mega classic, I'll just be disappointed. I'm thinking it'll be best if they just leave it, a la Dr. Octagon, and let us live with Cold Vein forever.
    Ahem - Madvillain is actually MF DOOM and Madlib working together, so techincally it's something different. And is Viktor Vaughan the name he uses for more ambient, less hip hop stuff? I haven't really listened to much of it yet, so I can't say for myself.

I heard one Sage Francis track, never again. There are some people who really need to reevaluate their flow.

Well, for Cannibal Ox, I can't say I disagree. Iron Galaxy itself was a trip on so many levels.

On Doom, fair enough. If I could make a distinction though, Viktor Vaughn focuses a bit more on the traditional style of hip hop instead of his erratic off beat half style.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Is it weird that I only really enjoy A Piece of Strange on Rainy days?

Also, The Cunninlynguists need to remaster that album. The music is too loud to the point of drowning them out.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Is it weird that I only really enjoy A Piece of Strange on Rainy days?

Also, The Cunninlynguists need to remaster that album. The music is too loud to the point of drowning them out.
    I don't mind that, actually. I always kind of liked that about it. I thought it was a weird way to do an album, where the vocals are hardly central at all. Too often all you hear is vocals, and I thought that was an interesting twist. Might have something to do with the fallout from Madlib and MF DOOM.

Also, I thought unfuckwittable was pretty self-explanatory. It means you can't fuck with it.

• Options
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:
    Also, I thought unfuckwittable was pretty self-explanatory. It means you can't fuck with it.
    So, nothing to do with fuckwits?

Shouldn't it be unfuckwithable or something?

mrflippy on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2006
    celery77 wrote:

I've been looking forward to it since I saw the video; I'm always surprised when something like that gets picked up by a major label.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Elkamil wrote:
    celery77 wrote:

I've been looking forward to it since I saw the video; I'm always surprised when something like that gets picked up by a major label.

jayz.jpg
    You have this man to thank.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    mrflippy wrote:
    celery77 wrote:
    So, nothing to do with fuckwits?

Shouldn't it be unfuckwithable or something?

Flippy, Flippy. Do not question celery. He ain't nuthin' ta fuck wit'. :P

Oh, and Namey, go swivel on Aqua's cock some more, if only for Cassius feat Ghostface Killah - Thrillah [The Streets remix]. :P

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    wobbegongwobbegong Registered User new member
    edited July 2006
    How about some more from the other side of the pond?

Braintax
    Jehst
    Asaviour
    Tommy Evans
    Skinnyman
    Rodney P
    Ricochet
    klashnekoff
    Foreign beggars...

...and lots more, anyone here get me?

wobbegong on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    wobbegong wrote:
    How about some more from the other side of the pond?

Braintax
    Jehst
    Asaviour
    Tommy Evans
    Skinnyman
    Rodney P
    Ricochet
    klashnekoff
    Foreign beggars...

...and lots more, anyone here get me?

The only foreign artists I really checked out have been The Decepticonz out of new Zealand (Transformers fan, what could i do?) They were terrible.

Unless of course you consider Canada foreign (Which I suppose you would) Then there's also:

Kardinall Offishal
    Kaos
    The Rascalz (Although they only ever had one big single)
    The Dream Warriors (Old, Old, haven't heard about them in at least 10 years)
    Saukrates

Then, Canibus went on a sabbatical to England and worked with some talent there, but outside of James Samuel I never found an interest.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Isn't Buck 65 Canadian? Of course there's always the indomnitable Slick Rick, who I think has actually been deported from the United State at this point. He's not ever allowed to enter the US for the rest of his life last I checked.

But yeah, that would be the most foreign hip hop I listen to besides the Streets.

• Options
    CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Crayon wrote:

Couple things:

Aesop Rock's style really gets on my nerves. I just can't take him in unless someone else is on the track to even it out. his voice is too aggravating and erratic for me

Jedi Mind Tricks were good until Jus Allah left. Now all Vinnie Paz talks about is how much he hates faggots. Excellent production though.

OH, also, if you like Wu-Tang, check out Think Differently presents Wu-Tang meets the Indie Culture. Awesome album, which coincidentally contains my favourite Aesop Rock track - Preservation with Del TFH.

Uhhhh, I fully realize that both MF Doom and Madvillain are the same...but Madvillain has Madlib on it and MF Doom's record don't, which clearly set them apart.

Ace Rock also has possibly one of the most original styles in all of Hip Hop. I fully recognize that a lot don't like his style, but to me...it's a breath of fresh air in the underground community...and that type of vibe was sorely lacking. Just a different cup of tea. He also has some of the single best songs out there, even though his collab songs are amazing to offset his tone...I still think his tracks are gold (9 to 5'ers anthem is one of the greatest songs ever recorded, and the always mentioned daylight).

Cannibal Ox do have another album coming up from what I've heard.

I agree with the JMT comment.

I like Slug, especially his stuff with Murs. I haven't met too many people who dislike him as much as that though, heh.

And about Sage...sometimes it's not all about the Flow (which on Personal Journals he has plenty of)...sometimes it's the words and heart that carry it...and I would say he has plenty of those, I would go so far as to say he has some of the most interesting song lyrics in the underground community.

P.S I hate Lupe Fiasco.

Crayon on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

Couple things:

Uhhhh, I fully realize that both MF Doom and Madvillain are the same...but Madvillain has Madlib on it and MF Doom's record don't, which clearly set them apart.

Ace Rock also has possibly one of the most original styles in all of Hip Hop. I fully recognize that a lot don't like his style, but to me...it's a breath of fresh air in the underground community...and that type of vibe was sorely lacking. Just a different cup of tea. He also has some of the single best songs out there, even though his collab songs are amazing to offset his tone...I still think his tracks are gold (9 to 5'ers anthem is one of the greatest songs ever recorded, and the always mentioned daylight).

Cannibal Ox do have another album coming up from what I've heard.

I agree with the JMT comment.

I like Slug, especially his stuff with Murs. I haven't met too many people who dislike him as much as that though, heh.

P.S I hate Lupe Fiasco.

Yeah, I realize i'm in the minority with Atmosphere. But It just sounds like background noise to me. Slug's vocals don't immerse me in the least.

Lupé Fiasco? Here's my thing with him: he has Kanye West/Beastie Boys syndrome. He makes good tracks, but they all sound the same. I can't tell whether it's the production, his sound or both, but he gets redundant quick. He attacks every bar the same way all the time. Hopefully he'll fix this by the time his album drops.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Hey Cel, I've only just had a chance to listen to some of the songs, but Funky Voltron is fucking cool

aquabat on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I don't care if Talib Kweli went mainstream, The Beautiful Struggle is a good album.

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I don't care if Talib Kweli went mainstream, The Beautiful Struggle is a good album.

I seriously don't understand why so many people don't like it.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • Options
    YosemiteSamYosemiteSam Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

I find expectations can ruin music for me, at least the first few times I listen to it, even if (a) I'm not consciously aware of the expectations or (b) I consciously try to suppress my expectations.

Oh yeah, about The Love Below: they sold over 5 million of the double albums! It's up there in music history with Thriller (even though it's only because sales of a double album count twice, which I think is dumb, but still)! What do you want?

YosemiteSam on
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

I find expectations can ruin music for me, at least the first few times I listen to it, even if (a) I'm not consciously aware of the expectations or (b) I consciously try to suppress my expectations.

Oh yeah, about The Love Below: they sold over 5 million of the double albums! It's up there in music history with Thriller (even though it's only because sales of a double album count twice, which I think is dumb, but still)! What do you want?

Jesus! Thats... wow. I dont really like their new song though, but not because I was expecting another pop classic like 'Hey Ya' but because it doesnt grab me at all.

aquabat on