As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Help Me Identify This Spider-Villain

Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGERRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Graphic Violence
Today I was back at my parent's house, and through a turn of events I happened to be back in my old room, where in the back of the closet, an ancient set of cubby holes quietly reside. While sorting through old things, not much of it mine any longer I spotted some clipped out comic frames that I, as a six or seven year old, meticulously cut from their original story and expertly applied to the back of the lowest cubby hole with ugly scotch tape. I have carefully cut them free, as these are nearly a quarter-century old, and are also awesome.

Spoilered for Larger Than Expected, Seriously, These Are Kind of Mad Huge:
0211121817a.jpg

Mind you, I was SIX. I doubt I was reading these (they were probably too wordy for me at the time), and I didn't give a toss about Spider-Man at the time, but, holy shit, a Dinosaur Man! Who turns boring people into awesome dinosaurs! I was really into my dinosaurs, like any self-respecting midwestern child of the 80's who cared not for sports nor the company of his fellows. There is a deep irony in how appropriate this villain really was for me, and I didn't even care to read it because DINOSAURS.
0211121817.jpg

Awesome. But who was my dino-villain?

That's harder to tell.

First off, this was not out of an actual comic book. I know that much. Very likely this was a two or three page Spider-Man backup that appeared in Ranger Rick magazine or possibly Boy's Life, although I haven't been able to prove that either magazine ever carried Spider-Man as a feature. I've done some research, and although Spider-Man has had many, many animal-themed villains, some of them atrocious and likely one-note characters never seen until the Matt Fraction Stilt Man's Wake issue, I cannot find this fine fellow among them. I have found one called Stegron, but, aside from being Stegosaurus-themed and so obviously not this Triceratops-themed fellow, Stegron also seems to be some kind of dinosaurian version of The Lizard, if that, whereas here we're totally dealing with some kind of magnificent Jack Kirby knock-off that was seriously channeling some He-Man grade chutzpah at the same time.

The flip sides offer slight clues:
0211121818.jpg

For a villain his aims seemed pretty simple. He just wants an army of dinosaurs. He's not out to do anything wrong, Spidey. Why can't you let him, you know, change Mary Jane into an Apatosaurus and be done with it? Plus, a little snark in that upper partial panel. I'm pretty sure the dinovillain is saying 'Spider-Man? We've heard about you!" As though Spider-Man was still a low-grade schlub, and even this unknown dinoguy can look down upon him to show up for spoiling his dino-fun.
0211121816.jpg

So. Anyone got any clues? This is childhood gold for me, and, there's a very strong likelihood that this fellow may have lived and died on these three pages, never to appear again. Granted, his shtick didn't have a whole lot of mileage, but dinofication of the unwilling should've been a fun to trot out every once in a while, especially if he could've played off of one of the other mad science characters always intent on bothering Spider-Man. I am almost certain he was a scientist on the side.

I suppose it would be hard to disprove any suggestions, but, if you have an idea who this fine fellow was, I am all ears.

Linespider5 on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That looks like 70's Spider-Man to me

As to who that is, I thought maybe Stegron at first, but then he does have that giant tail which makes me think maybe something to do with the Scorpion or the Lizard? The Lizard seems more likely.

I'm intrigued, so I'll poke around a bit, see if I can find anything

Iguana? Basilisk? Neither seem right, but they are kind of reptile-y...

• The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    it isn't stegron, but that literally is the same plot as marvel team-up 20 so searching forever will get you that issue and you can plainly see on the cover that stegron is rocking the orange dino look then

7656367.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Unless the internet ID's him, I'm just gonna dub him King Triceratops. I'm pretty sure there's an unwritten comic book rule that you can't have an animal themed costume without referencing that animal in the name.

• MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Wow....I thought I knew 'em all....

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • MaclayMaclay Insquequo Totus Es Unus Here and ThereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Still digging, but I may have found the source:
    His name is Stegron, and in all his mainstream Marvel appearances, he looks the part. Orange skin, spikes down the back, big tail… yet, and I swear I’m remembering this correctly, when I first encountered him in the pages of The Electric Company, he had green skin, no tail, and triceratops horns. I can find nothing to back this up, but I swear that’s how he looked. Which of course makes no sense since he was still Stegron the Dinosaur Man and not Triceraton the Dinosaur Man…

Am I seriously the only one who remembers him looking that way in that appearance? I even know the issue number: Electric Company magazine #113.

The issue in question:
    Summary: Spider-Man Story (The Secret of Stegron)

Also Issue 53
    Story: "Attack of the Dinosaur Man!"

Reprinted In: Electric Company Magazine #126
    Reprinted In: Electric Company Magazine #72

Maclay on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    Google Stegron Paul

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I was about to say how disappointed I am that Stegron hasn't been used outside of a shitty Spectacular Spider-Man arc and the Reptil one-shot but then I remembered he is the bad guy in Captain America and Hawkeye

CYpGAPn.png
    Stegron is pretty cool

He is not as cool as the Lizard in "reptile themed Spidey villain" terms

And he is not as cool as Swarm in "batshit insane Spidey villain" terms

But he is pretty cool

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar

his full name is STEGRON THE DINOSAUR MAN

and he is basically Dino Hulk

are you surprised that I love him a great deal

CYpGAPn.png
    Not one bit

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    i like stegron! i remember him from an essentials volume, he was a fun villain

his spectacular spider-man arc was shitty though

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Damn, you guys

I guess Stegron it is. Every google search I've run on him reveals some kind of bright orange, cretaceous version of Blanka, with some crossovers with The Lizard, Kazar, and sometimes Sauron, but this must've been an earlier phase of his career before he really went all hardcore on it or something. Would be nice to find some earlier corroborating evidence, but...must be him after all.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    he's always been orange! you must've found some weird retelling of his origin, because his very first story had him become the dinosaur man.