As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] 1st Annual PAX Cigar Smoker: The Cult of the Leaf - Friday night at 2 AM!

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    adastra wrote:
    Ahem... brotherhood?? o_O

This sister travels with a herfidor for such occasions. But only if it's gender-inclusive and not an awkward sausagefest.

I have a surplus of unloved cigarillos that could be shared as well.
    So far it's looking like a sausagefest. I imagine we'd still be glad to have you though and remember, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar..

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    adastra wrote:
    Ahem... brotherhood?? o_O

This sister travels with a herfidor for such occasions. But only if it's gender-inclusive and not an awkward sausagefest.

I have a surplus of unloved cigarillos that could be shared as well.
    So far it's looking like a sausagefest. I imagine we'd still be glad to have you though and remember, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar..

Um, yeah... Point of order? No sausage here.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    I could make all sorts of awful jokes.. but I don't care if you're male or female. I just want to hang out with some gamers and smoke some cigars. :)

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
    edited February 2012

Um, yeah... Point of order? No sausage here.
    I'm just saying you're vastly outnumbered.
    EDIT: Regardless, I'm smoking.

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • The AfromanThe Afroman Registered User regular
    Kiashien wrote:
    Any place that serves scotch will be closed at 2 am due to liquor laws. :)

Thats why you bring your own!

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    Google+//http://gplus.to/TheAfroman
    I am still gonna have to adjust to not being able to drink. That's gonna be weird.

edited February 2012
    Kiashien wrote:
    Any place that serves scotch will be closed at 2 am due to liquor laws. :)

Thats why you bring your own!

That would be the kicker. Liquor, outside, is illegal.

Inside any hotel, smoking is going to be illegal in boston proper (Outside a bit, it's feasible they may have a smoking floor, but my god those stink)

After 2 am, booze is illegal on non-private property unless it is a private club (with membership dues and whatnot).

It's one of those icky conundrums.

Side note, I am neither saying we should, or shouldn't, but flasks are something likely to be "ignored" unless people are obviously drunk. I'm also not promising they will be, as again, as noted, illegal to be using. Oddly, not illegal to carry, even full- just illegal to be drinking out of in view of the public.

Kiashien on

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • freekamafreekama Registered User regular
    This sounds like a pretty great idea, not going to lie. I'm more of a cigarillo person then cigar person myself, as long as those are included, so am I. I would love to Join your Cult of the Leaf.

• Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I'm in, would love to enjoy a cigar and chat at 2am

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    I would just like to discourage public discussion of liquor law circumvention in a public forum. Drinking outside in public in Boston is illegal, let's leave the discussion there.

My tally of time preferences thus far is four for 2 am (Streetlight345, BigRed, MASeffect, and adastra), and two for during the day (LexiconGrrl and The Afroman). a fracking toaster suggested reasons why 2 AM is less than ideal, but I'm not sure if that was a vote or just discussion. If I've mischaracterized anyone's vote, please correct me.

I've also been investigating the cigar lounges, and it's not looking super-promising. Generally, most of these sorts of places have very limited space, so if you roll in with more than about half a dozen people, you need to rent a room. Stanza dei Sigar was the only one prepared to quote a price on the phone, and it was $500 for a room that only fits 13 people, which is clearly not going to work. I'll keep working with Cigar Masters and Churchill's Lounge to see if either of them are more reasonable, or could even accommodate a walk-in crowd without a rental cost. But again, my guess is that this is something best left for next year, because we'll want a decent headcount, and may need to collect money to cover the room rental if we went down this path.

I'm in for meeting at 2am. If possible I'd prefer to do it outside, and I've no aversion to standing about while doing it. Maybe find a restaurant with a large outdoor patio? Or simply near the BCEC as previously mentioned.

• patrickcentralpatrickcentral Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I would definitely be interested in meshing my Cigar circle with my PAX circle.

Okay, that came out waaaay nerdier than I anticipated.

2am sounds more like my kind of Cigar time both in how I am at home, and when I am likely to be available. I think an area that is legal to smoke in outdoors is probably ideal for a first swing, save the swanky room for a more organized run next year or at Prime.

patrickcentral on
    You may know me as:
    @patrickcentral / ferroptic / sharktopus
    evidently I need to unify nicknames
  • Pants Man!Pants Man! Registered User new member
    I'm in for having a cigar and chat. My gf, Freekama, just got me some Ashton Cabinets today. Looking forward to having them after PAX

• ubicigarubicigar Registered User regular
    So this is my first PAX East thing, and I'm only attending on Saturday. That said, I have the weekend off and typically work night shifts, so I'll be awake and free all of the days (except Sunday, I picked up a shift that night.) I'm a major cigar smoker, ran a review website that gained a decent following for awhile, and worked on a few blends in my time. Would anybody be down for a cigar swap as well? It's a little early, but I might have a few free "press" samples headed my way around then, and I'd be happy to share. I smoke mostly full-bodied cigars (Diesel, Padilla 1932/Dominus, Opus X, AVO 2010 LE, Tatuaje Monster Series, Don Pepin Garcia Cuban Classics are all examples of what I typically enjoy.) I'm pretty ultra-local, so I can also join in any meetings throughout the weekend, or any time, really.

Assuming we end up doing this at 2 AM, what's the outdoor temperature likely to be?
    Pants Man! wrote:
    :
    *GASP* Not... PANTS MAN!? The Pants Man?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTccvj0gc58
    (Relevant only from 1:25 - 2:15)

Assuming we end up doing this at 2 AM, what's the outdoor temperature likely to be?

Average temps in Boston on April 7th are a high of 53, low of 38. In my experience, a typical day will have its high around 3 PM, and its low around sunrise. So the average temperature at 2 AM is probably going to be in the low 40s. Given the abnormally warm winter, I have strong hopes that it will be warmer than the average (hey, the record high was 90!). No question, if it's colder than average, 2 AM is going to be a no-go, which is why this is all to gauge peoples' leanings. Official decision will await the weather reports.

As long as we're talking about weather, I'll suggest that people plan to overdress for the weather. Remember, if you're going to be standing outside for half an hour smoking a cigar, you're not going to be generating much warmth of your own (like if you were walking around), and a bit of a chill that wouldn't bother you if you were just going to be outside for a couple minutes will start to bother you after half an hour. Last year, the BCEC had a very reasonable coat check policy (like $5 for all my luggage when I had to check out of my hotel on Sunday), so consider bringing extra layers in a bag that you check. Alternatively, I am staying at the Westin this year, so I'd be willing to stash coats and stuff in my room if people come by before 10 AM on Saturday (assuming we do it Saturday. I was unable to get a room at the Westin on Thursday night, so if we do it Friday, I won't have a room at the Westin for Friday morning).

On a different note, in response to ubicigar's discussions of preferred cigar types, let's start talking about that. What do people like? I'm a dark cigar guy. I like maduros (Camacho Triple Maduro is a little pricey, but good, Sancho Panza maduro is often my go-to cheap option), and sometimes other darker cigars (like the Partagas black label). I'm also a sucker for unusual shapes (box press, pyramid, even torpedos). That last part probably marks me as some kind of philistine, but whatever.

KoalaBro2 wrote:
    On a different note, in response to ubicigar's discussions of preferred cigar types, let's start talking about that. What do people like? I'm a dark cigar guy. I like maduros (Camacho Triple Maduro is a little pricey, but good, Sancho Panza maduro is often my go-to cheap option), and sometimes other darker cigars (like the Partagas black label). I'm also a sucker for unusual shapes (box press, pyramid, even torpedos). That last part probably marks me as some kind of philistine, but whatever.

The Camacho Triple Maddy is one of my favorite cigars; it was my first box-purchase, actually. It's a little pricey, I've heard a lot of people say good things about Sancho Panza but it isn't my favorite. In terms of Maduro, the La Herencia Cubana Maduro is fantastic, as is the Casa Magna Oscuro.

• adastraadastra Registered User regular
    Yay, a non-sausagey Cult of the Leaf! And monocles! I step away from the internets for a few days and magic happens. ;)

I'm down with outside, even if it's cold. I don't smoke inside at home, and actually really like going out on a crisp night to smoke. I mean, if it's sleeting or so cold that I have to cover my face, it's not as practical. But I've been sacrificing the appropriate things for good PAX weather.

Personally, I like a mix of things. I tend to buy samplers and smoke my way through them to determine what I don't like. I tend to like things that are moderate in strength. Too mild = meh. Too robust = eek. I've also found that I like things that are an offshoot of flavored cigars - not heavily interested in artificial sugar-dipped stuff (though sometimes I like some little CAO Flavours cigarillos), but do really like the interesting herbal additions to Acids or the mix of tobaccos (including pipe tobacco) in Drew Naturals. Actually just picked up some of the Tabak Especial coffee cigars just to see.

I'd be down with a cigar swap, and I have some things that I could bring to share. I also have a couple of spare, unused small box humidors if anyone wants one - I bought some samplers and already have a humidor, would happily give these away to PAXers who have a use. Otherwise they may become cedar-lined dice boxes. :P

Oh! And if this ends up including any pipe smokers... this is something I've been wanting to try, and I have no clue how to properly pack/light/manage a pipe and wouldn't mind meeting some folks who can help me out with that.

I would gladly take a humidor if they're being offered!

Sadly, I'll be taking a plane from Canada so I don't believe Cubans will be allowed.

I would gladly take a humidor if they're being offered!

If we're driving, I'll definitely have one or more of the spare humis with me - they're decent starter boxes, especially if you grab some humidifying beads for them. :)

Sadly, I'll be taking a plane from Canada so I don't believe Cubans will be allowed.

I was going to post something to the effect of "the government does give a reasonable allowance for personal use, which should be more than adequate for your purposes," however upon further investigation, it appears that this has been rescinded. You are correct, Cuban cigars may no longer be brought to the US, even for personal use. IMHO, no big loss. Most of the Cubans I've had have been mediocre at best (I know, shocking, ordinarily Communist regimes are renowned for the quality of their consumer goods...).
    adastra wrote:
    Oh! And if this ends up including any pipe smokers... this is something I've been wanting to try, and I have no clue how to properly pack/light/manage a pipe and wouldn't mind meeting some folks who can help me out with that.

I do smoke pipes; I've actually been smoking pipes a lot longer than cigars. Personally, I find smoking pipes outside to be not worth it (too hard to light, too much screwing around with all the various tools), but if you want to give it a shot, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

I would agree with that; I'm not sure if it's self-hype, but lots of people in Nicaragua are saying that the fields in Cuba are being overtaxed and not well taken care of, and this is resulting in a lower-quality plant. Personally, I'm inclined to agree; I think Nicaragua, Brazil, Peru, and surprisingly Pennsylvania make the best tobaccos suited to my taste right now, especially the Esteli region of Nicaragua.

KoalaBro2 - I've got something I'll be bringing for you to try. I got it as a throw-in with my latest shipment.

Adastra - For me, flavored cigars will never be something I can do, but Drew Estate is a great company. The owner, Jon, is a really awesome guy, and the natural lines they make aside from Natural (The Liga Privada #9, particularly in the Dirty Rat vitola) are unbelievably good. I'm seeking out some of his new-ish release, the Undercrown. I'll have to see if I have any Padilla Artemises left, those are good, middle-of-the-road cigars.

KoalaBro2 wrote:
    I do smoke pipes; I've actually been smoking pipes a lot longer than cigars. Personally, I find smoking pipes outside to be not worth it (too hard to light, too much screwing around with all the various tools), but if you want to give it a shot, I'd be happy to walk you through it.

Thanks! We'll see... I've been pipe-shopping with the help of a womens' cigar/pipe group and may have something by then. I can imagine that wind would cause trouble! But I also don't have any in-person pipe smoking acquaintances who aren't octogenarians who gave up their hardcore long-term smoking habits due to emphysema. Awwwwkward.
    ubicigar wrote:
    For me, flavored cigars will never be something I can do, but Drew Estate is a great company. The owner, Jon, is a really awesome guy, and the natural lines they make aside from Natural (The Liga Privada #9, particularly in the Dirty Rat vitola) are unbelievably good. I'm seeking out some of his new-ish release, the Undercrown. I'll have to see if I have any Padilla Artemises left, those are good, middle-of-the-road cigars.

Most of the flavored stuff is pretty rank, especially once the candy coating is gone. ;-)

I have an assortment of Drew Estate Naturals that I've barely tapped into, been eyeing the Dark Angel for this weekend. I never got my hands on a LP #9, but have read many rave reviews!

Alright. Excited..
    I'm also a all around smoker. Haven't bought a pipe i liked yet.. But do like smoking it.
    As for my tastes.. I also like dark. (Big fan of Nub Maduros and Rocky Patels) My favorite was from a few years ago.. The Rocky Patel Winter Selects. Oh man those were like heaven. Alas i smoke my last one about 4 months ago and well.. my cigar reserve is small since i moved up north (NY Sucks for tabacco tax) Texas is a good place, and i had a wonderful cigar shop in Austin that was excellent. Now i guess i have to mail order (Cigar international and others) Will pick out some nice stuff to have with me when i head up there.

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
  • cacash10cacash10 Registered User new member
    I am definitely down. However, I am in the military, so my leave is up in the air for now. If I can go, I have a cuban I can bring (They are alright, nothing special) and I plan on bringing a hookah, so if you guys want to
    try that I can bring it too. The tobacco I have for it is from the U.A.E. it is awesome, and much better than what you find in the states. Always up for sharing what I bring. If I can go, I am down for ANY time, just let me know.

Somewhere between -10 and 95 degrees... but likely near to 45-50.

It will be easier to guess when it gets closer- probably about 4 weeks out, this will be a good question to revisit- it still won't be 100%, but us Bostonians will have a decent idea if it's going to be a snowstorm extension BLEEPstorm, or if it's expected to be unseasonably warm. But to put it in perspective... friday (as in 2/10/2012) was 50 degrees here. Saturday, it snowed, and instantly melted, as while the air was cold enough, the ground was not. Now, it's back up to 40ish.

So.. yea. New England Weather.... Don't place any bets on it.

Alright. Excited..
    I'm also a all around smoker. Haven't bought a pipe i liked yet.. But do like smoking it.
    As for my tastes.. I also like dark. (Big fan of Nub Maduros and Rocky Patels) My favorite was from a few years ago.. The Rocky Patel Winter Selects. Oh man those were like heaven. Alas i smoke my last one about 4 months ago and well.. my cigar reserve is small since i moved up north (NY Sucks for tabacco tax) Texas is a good place, and i had a wonderful cigar shop in Austin that was excellent. Now i guess i have to mail order (Cigar international and others) Will pick out some nice stuff to have with me when i head up there.

I'm not 100% sure, but the Rocky Winter Select used a PA Maduro wrapper, similar to Diesel Unholy Cocktail, La Herencia Cubana Oscuro, etc. Rocky also re-did the winter select as the 1961, but the blend has since changed. Have you tried the Nub Double yet? It's a double maduro.

The 1961 is close but not exact, and yes i Love the Nub Double, one of my regulars

XBL//The Afroman
    PSN//The_Afroman
    Twitter//@theafroman
    I like Acid Blondes, and Acid Cold Fusions an unnamed cigar I got a few times (medium flavor) that my local smoke shop just gives me if I ask for it and a peruvian ciguar with a certain sweetness that I got in Vegas.. enough that I bought a case (and sadly gave away)

If anyone has something along those lines, I'd be quite happy to try one. If someone providing something they think I'd like has a specific taste and mentions it ahead of time, I'll try to get it :) I just am not super versed in cigars, due to not smoking them often at all.

• DatixDatix Registered User regular
    I would definitely love to participate in this. I need to get some room in my humidor anyway. I'm big on Padron 64s, Ashton VSGs and other full-flavored sticks. I probably won't be bringing those along to share due to cost, but I have a nice stockpile of San Cristobals in the Francisco vitola I'll happily bring with me. Keeping an eye on this thread, for sure!

Datix - Have you tried the Padron 85th or the Ashton VSG Eclipse vitola? Both are really good, and would probably fall in line with the cigars you like. The Padron 64 maduro is one of my favorite all-time cigars.

Afroman, what games do you play on XBL? For CoD we have a whole group of cigar industry people and people who smoke cigars that play together occasionally.

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'm all over this. Though I probably won't be bringing anything with me across the Canadian/US border, I can certainly swing by some local shop ahead of time - or better, to my mind - I'd happily recompense anyone who wished to share their tastes and cigars with me. I always love trying new things!

Imperfect - What cigars do you like?

• ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I am actually rather inexperienced, frankly. I've been smoking a few years, but terribly infrequently, and I don't even know what I don't know yet, if that phrase means anything to you.

Typically, I get Romeo y Julieta #2s and enjoy them immensely, though anything "dark" with a good whiskey makes for a fine afternoon at the cottage.

There, you have my cigar knowledge in pretty much its entirety. =3

• a fraking toastera fraking toaster W1TRK Registered User regular
    i dont know much about cigars either if it makes ya feel any better.i been smoking various herbal blends for a few years now and just started smoking cigars about a month ago.havent really smoke any fancy cigars but im hoping to learn a few things at the gathering.

• Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    I dont know too much about cigars, but i do enjoy yo smoke them. Ill probably have a cigar with me that i brought back from Costa Rica

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
    edited February 2012
    Just had my first cigar ever last night. Training for this event, you know. The guy at the cigar store sold me a $5.99 'beginner's' cigar that was flavored with blackberry and vanilla. Then sat around on the front porch on a 35 degree evening drinking scotch & having a cigar.

I can live with that.

LexiconGrrl on
    Re: not knowing cigars. The best thing, in my experience, is to go to your local cigar shop and tell the staff you're new to cigars. Ask them to pick out 6-8 cigars for you that represent a spectrum of types, so that you can figure out your tastes. Smoke them over the next two-three weeks (even if you only intend to be a 1/month person, remember, this is for science). Then, go back to your cigar shop, tell them which you liked best, and ask them about it (where was it made, what kind of tobacco is in it, what other cigars, at various price points, are likely to be similar). After that, you're pretty much set for life.

• bradpokeybradpokey Registered User new member
    I'm seriously happy this popped up!
    My wife and I have been looking forward to our weekend date for PAX-East for months now..this just adds to the fun knowing I won't be alone in my cigar cloud.
    Though she doesn't smoke, we will both gladly add to this and meet some new friends. I'm usually a 1 cigar-a-day smoker - a ritual after dinner cigar on my porch in Austin. We'll be staying at the Westin Waterfront and I'll ask the concierge about cigar bars in the area.

Good advice, KoalaBro2 - Just ask a local cigar shop person and they'll usually be glad to help you familiarize yourself with the styles, flavors, brands, etc. I found a good consistent and enjoyable smoke is Perdomo Lot23, but I like to treat myself to something grander every now and then. Favorite in the past has been a Graycliff Chateau Grand Cru. Unfortunately, they're hard to find lately. Amazing with a good Highland Scotch.

Everyone's gonna be smoking fine leaf from humidor stores and I'ma be smoking 7/11 packs of Wildwoods. Like a bau5.