As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Microsoft revises Xbox 360 Warranty

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Jelloblimp wrote: »
    jclast wrote: »
    urahonky wrote: »
    So, if you don't have your receipt (stupid, I know), do you have any way to say "based on X, the earliest I could have purchased this unit is Y?"

I don't have any rings, but I don't know where my receipt is. Or maybe if something goes wrong I could get Circuit City to print out a new one since I used a credit card?

I'd print a new receipt up.

Next time I'm at Circuit City, I'll get them to print me a new receipt to hang on the fridge. It can hang out with my Phantom Hourglass preorder (and Blue Dragon if I can scrape together the funds).
    They can also go by when you registered your 360 on xbox.com (if you did that). Also there is the manufacturing date in the back.

I'm not sure I ever registered my 360. I'll check when I get home.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • RancedRanced Default Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is awesome.

Ranced on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So, if you don't have your receipt (stupid, I know), do you have any way to say "based on X, the earliest I could have purchased this unit is Y?"

I don't have any rings, but I don't know where my receipt is. Or maybe if something goes wrong I could get Circuit City to print out a new one since I used a credit card?
    Are you registered with xbox.com? That may help you out.

I'm pretty sure I have my receipt stashed away, but I made sure to register my box as soon as I got it, and when I called to ask about the extended warranty the CS rep told me she could see all of my info registered.
    Karf wrote:
    This is a good will move.

And it's also the only move they had. There was either do nothing and die or take a hit and live.
    The fact that they're actually reimbursing everyone who's paid for a three-ring repair is ... staggering, really. What did repairs typically cost? Wasn't it $140 or so?

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Daybreak wrote: »
    Fantastic news! And Kudos to MS for doing this.

No not kudos really, this was probably at some lawyers suggestion cause of impending class action lawsuits.

bloodyroarxx on
  • KarfKarf The Past Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    .la1n wrote: »
    I would have appreciated all this a whole heck of a lot more if it had been an announcement that they were going to be sending out new 360s that had necessary hardware modification to prevent the need for a three year warranty, but whatever floats their boat.
    "The wrote:
    As a result of what Microsoft views as an unacceptable number of repairs to Xbox 360 consoles, the company conducted extensive investigations into potential sources of general hardware failures. Having identified a number of factors which can cause general hardware failures indicated by three red flashing lights on the console, Microsoft has made improvements to the console and is enhancing its Xbox 360 warranty policy for existing and new customers.

Karf on
    sig9.gif
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay I'm retarded. How do I check to see if I registered my 360?

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is good news for some, but why not just make it an all-out three year warranty? The DVD drive on my second 360 is almost dead, and it's out of warranty, so I guess I'm not covered by this.

Of course, I guess I could always 'accidentally' block off all the vents and let it run until I get the three red lights..

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Lunker wrote: »

Are you registered with xbox.com? That may help you out.

I'm pretty sure I have my receipt stashed away, but I made sure to register my box as soon as I got it, and when I called to ask about the extended warranty the CS rep told me she could see all of my info registered.
    Karf wrote:
    This is a good will move.

And it's also the only move they had. There was either do nothing and die or take a hit and live.
    The fact that they're actually reimbursing everyone who's paid for a three-ring repair is ... staggering, really. What did repairs typically cost? Wasn't it $140 or so?

Yup, cost of repair was $139.99.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

No not kudos really, this was probably at some lawyers suggestion cause of impending class action lawsuits.

What time do you get up in the morning? 'Cuz I need to have some coffee first, then I'm going to shit in your cereal.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Very impressive. It's good to see that they're really taking responsibility for this. This is how you do PR.

Zek on
  • rchourchou Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    For the past couple of months I've been on the fence; on the one hand, the 360 has great games, on the other, every person I've known who's bought one has had it shit out at one point or another.

this has sold me on gettting a 360.

rchou on
  • DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What time do you get up in the morning? 'Cuz I need to have some coffee first, then I'm going to shit in your cereal.

I dunno, that's a plausable theory. Didn't Sony get class-actioned for chronic PS2 failures?

Anyways, looks like I might get a 360 now. You know, if I get money that doesn't need to go towards such slightly more important things like rent. Also I might want to get a 720p-capable TV first.

Daedalus on
  • DeadlySherpaDeadlySherpa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    gleep-glop wrote: »
    This is good news for some, but why not just make it an all-out three year warranty? The DVD drive on my second 360 is almost dead, and it's out of warranty, so I guess I'm not covered by this.

Of course, I guess I could always 'accidentally' block off all the vents and let it run until I get the three red lights..

... you do realize they just fix the problem, ie. the warped/damaged chipset, not replace your entire console, right? You'd just be out an Xbox for three weeks and still have to fix the drive when you got it back.

This is one of the only moves they could have made to avoid a class action lawsuit, however.

DeadlySherpa on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    It's a plausible theory, but it doesn't change the fact that they still did it like they should have, rather than face the alternative.

It doesn't change the fact that 360 owners no longer have to fear their consoles going kaput, and prospective buyers don't have anything to fear anymore. In short, it doesn't change the fact that it's still the right move.

Recoil42 on
  • JelloblimpJelloblimp Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Okay I'm retarded. How do I check to see if I registered my 360?
    Call phone-support, I am not aware of any web-based support where you can check it.
    (If you try to register it online again you get the error "this serial is already registered" with doesn't help one bit).

Jelloblimp on
    steam_sig.png
  • APZonerunnerAPZonerunner Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Holy shit, this is totally... like...

just

holy shit

APZonerunner on
    APZonerunner | RPG Site | UFFSite | The Gaming Vault
    XBL/PSN/Steam: APZonerunner
  • DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think I might be the only person unhappy about this.

I waited and waited and last week I caved in and bought MS's extended warranty for $50. *sigh*

However, this does show me that MS respects us, the consumers, somewhat.

DesertBox on
    edited July 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

I waited and waited and last week I caved in and bought MS's extended warranty for $50. *sigh*

Call and get it refunded.

BigRed on
  • galenbladegalenblade Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    1up wrote:
    Microsoft says they'll be taking a "$1.05 billion to $1.15 billion pre-tax charge to earnings for the quarter ended June 30, 2007 for anticipated costs under its current and enhanced Xbox 360 policies."

Even for Microsoft, that's a pretty big chunk of change.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3160812

galenblade on
    linksig.jpg
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

The extended warranty should, therefore, add into the three years, right? It won't be a complete waste if you've got a 4-year warranty, total.

Or you could beg them to give you your money back.

mntorankusu on
    edited July 2007
    BigRed wrote: »

Is that an option? I didn't see anything relating to warranty purchases on the press release

DesertBox on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Argh. Damn it.

First I clear my credit card, then Play.com drops the premium to £230, and now this.

It is getting really goddamn difficult to hold off on a 360.

Maybe next paycheque. I can wait 'til then.

Maybe.

japan on
    edited July 2007

Is that an option? I didn't see anything relating to warranty purchases on the press release

Explain the situation to the call center guy and you can probably get it refunded.

BigRed on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

It wouldn't hurt to try. You bought an extended warranty because you thought one year wasn't enough, and then they extended it to three years, so there's definitely grounds for a "hey can I have my money back plz."

mntorankusu on
    edited July 2007

The extended warranty should, therefore, add into the three years, right? It won't be a complete waste if you've got a 4-year warranty, total.

Or you could beg them to give you your money back.

Hmm. I bought 2 years for $50, so it would be 5, if what you're saying is correct. However, my warranty covers other things than 3 red lights, so I dunno if it would really work like that.

DesertBox on
  • gleep-glopgleep-glop Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

... you do realize they just fix the problem, ie. the warped/damaged chipset, not replace your entire console, right? You'd just be out an Xbox for three weeks and still have to fix the drive when you got it back.

This is one of the only moves they could have made to avoid a class action lawsuit, however.

Considering that they replaced the entire console when the DVD drive went out on my first one, no I did not realize that.

gleep-glop on
    Gricon.jpg
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    fuck yeah!

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    japan wrote: »
    Argh. Damn it.

First I clear my credit card, then Play.com drops the premium to £230, and now this.

Maybe.

dead20risingqjpreviewthpw6.jpg

TheSonicRetard on
    edited July 2007

Considering that they replaced the entire console when the DVD drive went out on my first one, no I did not realize that.

Yeah, judging by the people who say they can't play XBLA games on their Xbox 360's when they come back, I'm gonna guess that they DO replace it rather than just fix it.

TheSonicRetard on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    well, soon as I get a 720p TV(no way in hell am I buying a 360 if I'm just gonna run it on Standard def), I guess I'll just build the price of a 360 into it :P

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    edited July 2007
    Argh. Damn it.

Maybe.

snip

I'm not sure if you're making a "JOIN USSSSZZZ..." joke, or trying to tempt me with easily available treats.

Either way, you're a horrible bastard.

japan on
    edited July 2007

Yeah, judging by the people who say they can't play XBLA games on their Xbox 360's when they come back, I'm gonna guess that they DO replace it rather than just fix it.

Only rare occasions is the console actually replaced rather than repaired. Most common being they found a new failure and need to hold the console for investigation and a new one is sent out in its place.
    or if the console is past its 3rd repair a "tech refresh" is done on teh console. which means its basically thrown away and you get a new one.

BigRed on
    edited July 2007
    Argh. Damn it.

Maybe.

snip

I'm not sure if you're making a "JOIN USSSSZZZ..." joke, or trying to tempt me with easily available treats.

Either way, you're a horrible bastard.

Both :D

TheSonicRetard on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    thats really respectable of them

/still not getting one till they move to 65nm and do something about the godawful noise levels

Deusfaux on
    edited July 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »
    thats really respectable of them

/still not getting one till they move to 65nm and do something about the godawful noise levels

65nm has nothing to do with the noise.

The Optical drive is teh loudest part in the console, not the fan.

BigRed on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    This is amazing news. One less thing one the "Microsoft is going to destroy the console market" checklist.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I own a 360 so don't get me wrong this is good news but am I missing something here? Will the 360s still not break just as they have been for random people out there? Will I not still have to go without my console everytime it decides to freak out on me?

Maybe I didn't read well enough in there. Just asking.

.la1n on
    edited July 2007
    Deusfaux wrote: »

Ooh. Ooh. This is good. I can use this.

I just got out of poverty, I need reasons not to end up back in poverty.

japan on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only way MS would even think about doing this is if they can actually fix the problems now. That's part of the reason why this is such big news.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Really great move on Microsoft's part, though it definitely gives us some evidence as to just how bad the system's reliability problems are.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png