As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ed Norton Won't Be in The Avengers

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I agree that batman seems more grounded

I mean he's made a fucking arc reactor that lets him fucking fly.

But yet people are still getting into wars in the marvel verse over oil.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Don't bother discussing comics with Weaver. He literally hates on anything that's DC

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well DC isn't producing as good comics as Marvel are right now

that's not because they have worse character, or wierder characters, or a worse setting or anything though

I mean personally I have always felt Marvel has a more solid core of villains, but that's me

There are differences between Marvel and DC in terms of storytelling/theme/character and so on but neither is better, they are just different.

Solar on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Blake T wrote:

The suit itself is pretty sweet, too.

Iron Man has to keep the arc reactor shit to himself. It's for the best considering militaries would just put them in bombs, which was a direction Stane was going.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Solar wrote:

that's not because they have worse character, or wierder characters, or a worse setting or anything though

I mean personally I have always felt Marvel has a more solid core of villains, but that's me

There are differences between Marvel and DC in terms of storytelling/theme/character and so on but neither is better, they are just different.

The Big Two's universes are more similar then different. Many elements and characters are homages of the other. It's why they get along so well in the cross-overs. Being mainstream super-hero universes they'd have to be. They can't do too much crazy shit like Image or Invincible's universe.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Solar wrote:

The Big Two's universes are more similar then different IMO. Being mainstream super-hero universes they'd have to be. They can't do too much crazy shit like Image or Invincible's universe.

Oh yeah they have a lot of similarities

But they also have a lot of core differences in theme

Like when Peter Parker died fighting the Secret Six, he reminded all the other "heroes" of what was the right thing to do again. He inspired them by dying.

Superman would have fought the Secret Six, won, and inspired them by living.

Marvel =/= DC. Their superheroes are different. Even Batman, who people say is a Marvel character, really isn't.

But we've had this discussion and while I think it is interesting nobody else really cares I think

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Oh yeah they have a lot of similarities

But they also have a lot of core differences in theme

Like when Peter Parker died fighting the Secret Six, he reminded all the other "heroes" of what was the right thing to do again. He inspired them by dying.

Superman would have fought the Secret Six, won, and inspired them by living.

Marvel =/= DC. Their superheroes are different. Even Batman, who people say is a Marvel character, really isn't.

But we've had this discussion and while I think it is interesting nobody else really cares I think

True.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Superman died, though!

And inspired people!

• Options
    He didn't die he went into a healing coma and FUCK YOU MAX LANDIS YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT SUPERMAN

ahem

I see what you are saying and in recent years there has definitely been some crossover between the two in those terms

However, the iconic characters tend to be pretty old and hark back to a time when the two approaches were pretty distinct

And thus it does remain, albeit in a reduced manner

• Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Fuck, Marry, Kill:

Batman, Superman, Keith.

• Options
    Kill Batman because Blank loves Batman

Fuck Keith. I'll try anything once

Marry Superman because he's so dreamy

• Options
    You already got the order right, Chico

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Keith wrote:
    Superman died, though!

Superman didn't die. He fell into a Krytonian coma.
    And inspired people!
    The Superman cult was a nice touch.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    You already got the order right, Chico

Yeah, on Opposite Day.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:

The suit itself is pretty sweet, too.

Iron Man has to keep the arc reactor shit to himself. It's for the best considering militaries would just put them in bombs, which was a direction Stane was going.

Honestly, I do not buy it. He could have built a new one on campus and supplied power to the entire country.

Really though it's a universe with fuckin helicarriers so it's not like they are short on energy.

• Options
    Superboy died and inspired people

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    He didn't die he went into a healing coma and FUCK YOU MAX LANDIS YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT SUPERMAN

ahem

I see what you are saying and in recent years there has definitely been some crossover between the two in those terms

However, the iconic characters tend to be pretty old and hark back to a time when the two approaches were pretty distinct

You're right about the icons. The one exception to that is Wonder Woman. She's changed the most from DC's Trinity.

• Options
    ChicoBlue wrote:
    Fuck, Marry, Kill:

Batman, Superman, Keith.

Kill superman, he'll come back.

Fuck keith

Marry Bruce, dude is rich.

• Options
    Keith wrote:
    Superboy died and inspired people

They can always make another clone.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Solar wrote:

ahem

You're right about the icons. The one exception to that is Wonder Woman. She's changed the most from DC's Trinity.

That's because everybody has a different idea on what Wonder Woman actually is

People know Superman and Batman, they know what they are about and who they are and so on

Wonder Woman is more hazy, in an iconic character kind of sense. Like, sometimes she has a secret identity, sometimes not, her supporting cast is really strange etc. Out of all the iconic characters from the 40's, Wonder Woman has the most problems with identity (not in character, but from a literary point of view I feel).

Solar on
  • Options
    Blake T wrote:
    Honestly, I do not buy it. He could have built a new one on campus and supplied power to the entire country.

The government and corporations would stop him. Too many powerful people benefit from the status quo to let Stark do that.
    Really though it's a universe with fuckin helicarriers so it's not like they are short on energy.

I disagree. There's always someone short on energy. Quite a number of organizations and individuals wouldn't think twice about abusing the arc reactor's power for their own agenda, too.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Solar wrote:
    Solar wrote:

ahem

That's because everybody has a different idea on what Wonder Woman actually is

She's more consistent than her supporting cast or status quo, with exceptions*.
    People know Superman and Batman, they know what they are about and who they are and so on

Wonder Woman is more hazy.

They're hazy on Wonder Woman because DC is hazy on their plans with her. Every so often they hit a good incarnation but it won't last forever. She does need consistency.

* JMS run

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    Xehalus wrote:

That this is actually funny really surprised me

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Xehalus wrote:

There's literally dozens of different videos like that on You Tube by this one guy.

• Options
    Might check them out

ANYWAY I hope DC manages to pull some of their shit together right now because they are actually putting out a few great comics and if they could keep doing that while bringing the not so good comics up to a better standard that would be really cool.

Though the next time someone asks Jim Lee to redesign a costume, someone needs to run into the room and scream "NO!" into everyone's face

I volunteer Spex I think he has the fire in him to really pull it off

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Xehalus wrote:

There's literally dozens of different videos like that on You Tube by this one guy.

They start getting storyline'd up involving a multidimensional bar that all the heroes hang out in. Your mileage may vary.

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Might check them out

ANYWAY I hope DC manages to pull some of their shit together right now because they are actually putting out a few great comics and if they could keep doing that while bringing the not so good comics up to a better standard that would be really cool.

Agreed.
    Though the next time someone asks Jim Lee to redesign a costume, someone needs to run into the room and scream "NO!" into everyone's face

Keep him away from Huntress.
    I volunteer Spex I think he has the fire in him to really pull it off

:lol:

• Options

They start getting storyline'd up involving a multidimensional bar that all the heroes hang out in. Your mileage may vary.

I've watched a season or two. I got hooked temporarily after they made fun of Green Lantern's movie. That was comedy gold. The writing for the series is excellent.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Am I too late for the spider man costume conversation?

I liked Iron Spider. There I said it.

Iron Man + Spider Man = awesome

assuming you ignore civil war and all that junk around it

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote:
    Am I too late for the spider man costume conversation?

I liked Iron Spider. There I said it.

Iron Man + Spider Man = awesome

assuming you ignore civil war and all that junk around it

No matter how good the dude is he's fucked with Spider-man hogging the spotlight.

• Options
    Iron Spider was cool

I like Spider-Man when he uses all manner of super-tech gadgets

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Iron Spider was cool

I'm glad Marvel's finally exploiting his intelligence to full capacity. It's unfortunate they're doing it when I quit comics. :evil:

• Options
    Solar wrote:
    Iron Spider was cool

I'm glad Marvel's finally exploiting his intelligence to full capacity. It's unfortunate they're doing it when I quit comics. :evil:

Well

You could always un-quit

Aint like there are comic police that are going to bust in through the window and tackle you if you amazon the new Spidey trades

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Kill Keith, because I don't want to fornicate with or marry a teenager with braces and I assume all posters look exactly like their avatars
    Marry Superman, although it is Clark Kent that makes me swoon
    Fornicate with Batman, because: sexy mask-and-nothing-else sex

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Yes, let's avoid putting out a potentially world changing (change for the better at least) invention because the US military might weaponize it into a bomb. Because, you know, the US military doesn't already have 20 billion different kinds of bombs, including ones that blow up a LOT bigger than the explosions seen from the Hammeroids in Iron Man 2 :P

Shit, I think I'd actually rather have the military dick wave with a dozen War Machine knockoffs than with nukes.
    Blake T wrote:

The government and corporations would stop him. Too many powerful people benefit from the status quo to let Stark do that.

You mean the same government that Stark was essentially giving the middle finger to in Iron Man 2?

And Stark is ONE of those "powerful people." Stark has the money to ignore financial threats and he has the technology to ignore threats to his person. That's not even getting into the fact he has the controlling stake in one of the biggest companies in the world.

We're not talking about some garage inventor who made a 50 miles per gallon engine who quickly gets bought off by Big Oil so people will still have to buy lots of gas. We're talking about Tony Fucking Stark. A guy who is SO rich, he has a fabrication setup in his home that built the iron man suit in LITERALLY five hours.

EDIT: Well, I take back the five hours thing: that may have just been the gold-titanium shell. Still, an automated shop that produces an armored shell in five hours is nothing to sneeze at.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    One of the big problems with comic book settings, especially Marvel and DC, is the fact that they have all these super geniuses that could easily solve all the worlds problems and it never happens.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    I always just explain it away by assuming that with the super-geniuses, come the super-threats

Yeah, so Reed Richards might be able to cure cancer, but hasn't

However what he has done is cure the five strains of Kree brain-flu or whatever that have been transmitted to Earth

or some sort of hideous super-virus that popped up wherever

So the world stays the same, and the super-scientists/super-problems cancel each other out

yeah it's a bit of a cop-out, but it works for me

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    If they haven't already someone should write a comic where an Ozymandias type character cures cancer, brings about world peace, ends the obesity epidemic, feeds the hungry, gets medicine to everyone who needs it, robs from the rich and gives to the poor to the point that there is no more poor, etc.

This discussion has been closed.