As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Transformers Movie Thread

• StreckStreck Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    reVerse wrote:
    The one and only good thing the cartoons had going for them was Soundwave's voice.
    Dunno if I'd agree that was the only thing, but yeah, Soundwave's voice was freaking awesome. It's one of the very few things that I'd actually care about them keeping for the movie.

Streck on
  • DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    reVerse wrote:
    The one and only good thing the cartoons had going for them was Soundwave's voice.

You. Must. Be. Joking.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • MishraMishra Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    You know what makes me sad. They came to the base because they needed about 100 Air Force personel as extras for the movie the day AFTER I went to Germany for two weeks. What's even sadder they had trouble getting 100 people to show up.

Mishra on
    "Give a man a fire, he's warm for the night. Set a man on fire he's warm for the rest of his life."
    -Terry Pratchett
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Tach wrote:
    I guess that would explain all the Volkswagons in "Cars" then?

All the "bugs" were actual VW bugs- and Fillmore was a Micro-bus. Plenty of those toys rolling around.
    How many of those toys have guns? See, VW is paranoid as fuck because of their previous involvment with things military and the stigma they don't want to draw from people being reminded of it. So veedubs as adorable talking cars in a children's cartoon? A-okay. Veedubs as giant fighting robots? Not okay. At least, from VW's perspective. Kind of wierd that they're letting a Lamborghini in though, given that VW owns Lamborghini (part of the Audi branch) and that Italy wasn't exactly an angel-nation back during the aforementioned time period either.

ViolentChemistry on
  • DreamerdownDreamerdown Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    reVerse wrote:
    The cartoons were terrible. The only reason I was a Transformers fan was because of the awesome comics. The one and only good thing the cartoons had going for them was Soundwave's voice.

I concur. The comics and toys were neat, the cartoons and movie were awful. The highlight for me was the death of OP, and the sour looks on the face of my fellow theatregoers when I actually cheered.

I'd love to be surprised, but many signs point to the possibility that this is going to suck.

I wonder if Soundwave will be a Blu-ray player and if we'll get a 50GB Ravage or Rumble.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

Not all vampires suck blood.
    Not all of them die for love.
    edited July 2006
    reVerse wrote:
    The cartoons were terrible. The only reason I was a Transformers fan was because of the awesome comics. The one and only good thing the cartoons had going for them was Soundwave's voice.

I concur. The comics and toys were neat, the cartoons and movie were awful. The highlight for me was the death of OP, and the sour looks on the face of my fellow theatregoers when I actually cheered.

I'd love to be surprised, but many signs point to the possibility that this is going to suck.

The cartoons were poorly animated for the most part, yes, and there were huge plot holes, but they didn't treat kids like idiots like the cartoons of today do. Transformers and G.I. Joe were the first cartoons I ever watched with subtext.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    edited July 2006
    The cartoons were poorly animated for the most part, yes, and there were huge plot holes, but they didn't treat kids like idiots like the cartoons of today do. Transformers and G.I. Joe were the first cartoons I ever watched with subtext.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I watched them every day when I was young. Hell, I needed something to do before Robotech came on.

The problem is trying to watch them again, decades later. At least I'll always have my Veritechs.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

edited July 2006

Oh, don't get me wrong, I watched them every day when I was young. Hell, I needed something to do before Robotech came on.

The problem is trying to watch them again, decades later. At least I'll always have my Veritechs.

Well, it was marketed at children.

I love the movie, but I can only watch the first half. The second half is ridiculous beyond reproach.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Uh, the move was actually extremely well animated, especially considering it was done in 1986 and marketed only to children as a glorified toy commercial. Did you just totally skip over the Unicron transformation sequences? Maybe miss everything that happened on the planet of Junk? Or the entire Deceptacon attack on Autobot City? We're talking about an anime here, a genre known for its as-cheap-as-physically-possible animation, and it was downright gorgeous.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited July 2006
    Uh, the move was actually extremely well animated, especially considering it was done in 1986 and marketed only to children as a glorified toy commercial. Did you just totally skip over the Unicron transformation sequences? Maybe miss everything that happened on the planet of Junk? Or the entire Deceptacon attack on Autobot City? We're talking about an anime here, a genre known for its as-cheap-as-physically-possible animation, and it was downright gorgeous.

The movie was amazing. The SHOW was not.

Unless of course, you weren't talking to me.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Not to mention the fight between Optimus Prime and Megatron was downright beautiful (hell, that entire sequence with Optimus pwning the Decepticons was pure sex).

Hacksaw on
    edited July 2006
    Hacksaw wrote:
    Not to mention the fight between Optimus Prime and Megatron was downright beautiful (hell, that entire sequence with Optimus pwning the Decepticons was pure sex).

I read in an article somewhere, that that was the point in time where Optimus Prime evolved from a mere saturday morning cartoon figure into a legend. I'm inclined to agree.

I have no idea how Hasbro expected that to happen and then the fans to completely forget Optimus and rally behind the clearly inferior Rodimus Prime.

DeaconKnowledge on
  • aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I could never, ever forget Optimus

Seriously, I havent seen an Optimus toy since I had one when I was 5 or 6 yet I can still remember every hinge, every movement, every detail, every accessorie like it was yesterday. I cant say that about any of my other toys from when I was a kid and I had the lot - Voltron, GI Joe, Turtles, MASK (actually I think I could remember the MASK toy pretty well. I had the Dune Buggy)

aquabat on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Sorry, I was responding to the "...the cartoons and movie were awful" comment dreamerdown made.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
    edited July 2006
    Sorry, I was responding to the "...the cartoons and movie were awful" comment dreamerdown made.

The animation in the film did not bother me so much as I just didn't like the movie's plot, dialogue, or action. I am a cruel and unusual man.

Aquabat: I've got an original OP, in the box, right behind me on a shelf. He's in pretty good condition. I should check to see if all the weapons are present, and then hawk it on eBay when the movie drops.

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

• CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    DodgeBlan wrote:
    One thing they need to get right is the Transformer falling down noise. Whenever transformers fell down in the cartoon I was like "Oooohhh, that musta hurt."

You mean the really dull sounding "Pung" and "Clunk" sounds? Yes. Also, it is mandatory that it has Cullen, Welker and the proper transforming sound. None of this Armada transforming sound crap.[/i]

The original transformation sound would be the dumbest fucking thing ever...and I'm an official "transfan". It just wouldn't work, and would bring the entire movie down.

Edit: And about the male/female point...they are SENTIENT beings. Primus gave them that, so why wouldn't they be attracted to a male/female counterpart? You know, there is a god in the Transformers mythos...

Crayon on
    edited July 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    DodgeBlan wrote:
    One thing they need to get right is the Transformer falling down noise. Whenever transformers fell down in the cartoon I was like "Oooohhh, that musta hurt."

You mean the really dull sounding "Pung" and "Clunk" sounds? Yes. Also, it is mandatory that it has Cullen, Welker and the proper transforming sound. None of this Armada transforming sound crap.[/i]

The original transformation sound would be the dumbest fucking thing ever...and I'm an official "transfan". It just wouldn't work, and would bring the entire movie down.

I disagree. Just splice in some engine and gear noises and it would work perfectly.

DeaconKnowledge on
    edited July 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    DodgeBlan wrote:

I disagree. Just splice in some engine and gear noises and it would work perfectly.

Well...see...that isn't the original anymore, now is it Deacon? :D

Crayon on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Crayon wrote:
    DodgeBlan wrote:

Edit: And about the male/female point...they are SENTIENT beings. Primus gave them that, so why wouldn't they be attracted to a male/female counterpart? You know, there is a god in the Transformers mythos...
    It worked suprisingly well in Beast Wars, if I recall...

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    WHY wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

Well first of all, being SENTIENT is not in any way related to being sexually attracted to someone else.

Next, they were sentient robots. Several times in the comics we see new Transformers being designed and built to measure, then given life using the Matrix. Same with the Dinobots in the cartoon. Never, ever, do we see or is it hinted that new Transformers are produced through anything ressembling sexual reproduction. In fact, we never see anything ressembling or hinting sexuality at all.

And then, all the sudden, comes a thin pink feminine robot with boobs.

And I've never watched Beast Wars.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Personally I'm hoping for something along these lines:

Starscream or some other Decepticon (but in my head its always Starscream) is strafing some people trying to get away from him and the death he's bringing, and he's chasing down some people. Yellow camaro pulls up, doors pop open, and tells them to get in. They do (death by machine vs. talking car - easy choice) and now its a chase between Bumblebee and Starscream. Bumblebee takes a corner, and you see a big rig hauling hell for leather towards the car. At the last moment Bumblebee swerves and the rig transforms into Optimus Prime, with the theme song kicking in at the same moment and Starscream shouting "PRIME?!"

At that point I might cum so hard I'd blow my pants off.

siliconenhanced on
  • EnwolfEnwolf Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Bumblebee needs to be a new bug and Volkswagon can go to hell if there stoping that. really though fuck that optimus redsign.

Enwolf on
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

Well first of all, being SENTIENT is not in any way related to being sexually attracted to someone else.

Next, they were sentient robots. Several times in the comics we see new Transformers being designed and built to measure, then given life using the Matrix. Same with the Dinobots in the cartoon. Never, ever, do we see or is it hinted that new Transformers are produced through anything ressembling sexual reproduction. In fact, we never see anything ressembling or hinting sexuality at all.

Attraction because of finding a counterpart and someone you "connect" with is different than being sexual. I think that there can simply be an attraction based on many levels without the assumption that because of that connection they are sexual beings. I was saying they are cognitive beings capable of saying they like X enough to be close to, nothing about being sexually active.

Edit: Bumblebee won't be a bug sadly, VW are asshats with licensing. It's the same reason that Bumblebee can't be a bug in the alternators line.

Second edit: You're wrong about Beast Wars anyways, it's not the original sound. Beast Wars is a modified transformation sound. Once again, the debate involves using the original sound, not a modified one. I stated that the original G1 sound would be horrible.

Crayon on
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Given how much further along the timeline Beast Wars was from Transformers (time-travel shennanigans aside), I think it's entirely possible that they adapted genders in the meantime. They're already scores smaller and such.

So, how about that Optimus Prime, neh? :P

I'm kinda disappointed with the design (it strikes me as "change for the hell of it", really), and I wasn't too fond of the trailer, and I really don't like Michael Bay... but I'm still hoping for good things from this one. I mean, it's Transformers!

Is there any truth to reports that Robert Zemeckis was interested in directing (and indeed, competing with Bay to do so)? It's something I've been interested in.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

Think of it as asthetics. What's nicer, a 30 inch Apple Cinema Display monitor, or a 20 year old off-white monochrome Apple IIe monitor? Being sentient, one would assume they can appreciate beauty, so why wouldn't they creat each other in a way that was beautiful to them?

And no comments on how it's convenient that what's beautiful to them is also beautiful to nerds who just want to bone Arcee.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Enwolf wrote:
    Bumblebee needs to be a new bug and Volkswagon can go to hell if there stoping that. really though fuck that optimus redsign.

See this is what I'm talking about. What are you getting wrapped around the axle for? Liscensing prevents him from being a VW, so they made him a Camaro. He's still a car, he's still yellow. If he's annoying and a pain in the ass, I'll put a tally in the "Win" column and call it even. Its not like they made him into a flying motorcycle and gave him the attitude of Squall, for fuck's sake.

siliconenhanced on
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

Think of it as asthetics. What's nicer, a 30 inch Apple Cinema Display monitor, or a 20 year old off-white monochrome Apple IIe monitor? Being sentient, one would assume they can appreciate beauty, so why wouldn't they creat each other in a way that was beautiful to them?

And no comments on how it's convenient that what's beautiful to them is also beautiful to nerds who just want to bone Arcee.

You're in a civil war that lasted millions of years and thoroughly devastated your homeworld. Do you build new robots to
    (A) be efficient warriors?
    (B) be asthetically pleasing?

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2006
    Its like Venus in the Turtles live tv show.

A turtle with boobs. Right.

Mei_pieh_chi.jpg

aquabat on
    edited July 2006
    I can buy that Arcee might have a female-sounding voice, after all, if the Transformers were without gender and still had a range of programmed voices, why would we not assume that some would be in the female range?

But the pink paint job in conjunction with the breasts? Fuck no. Those are aesthetically pleasing to humans, not robots who don't breed. There would be no point for them, and if there were, why did we not see them on more of the Autobots and Decepticons in the original series?

Dreamerdown on
    bigifre1vy.jpg

edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

You're in a civil war that lasted millions of years and thoroughly devastated your homeworld. Do you build new robots to
    Oh so now girls with tits can't be efficient warriors? You sexist bastard.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

Even the amazons cut theirs off. At least their right one. Got in the way of the bowstring, you see.

Fencingsax on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Charmy wrote:
    So, how about that Optimus Prime, neh? :P

I'm kinda disappointed with the design (it strikes me as "change for the hell of it", really), and I wasn't too fond of the trailer, and I really don't like Michael Bay... but I'm still hoping for good things from this one. I mean, it's Transformers!

I wouldn't count on that truck being Prime, maybe motormaster?

Seeing as he is the most recognizable transformer, even if they don't stick to the original vehicle mode, they'll at least make him red.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited July 2006
    If we're going down this road, why dont we start questioning why aliens from another planet have vaguely humanoid forms in the first place - ie a head, two arms, two legs, a body, hands

aquabat on
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

If I recall correctly, female archers used to have their breasts cut off to improve balance.

Edit: beat'd and with more accurate reason

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    If we're going down this road, why dont we start questioning why aliens from another planet have vaguely humanoid forms in the first place - ie a head, two arms, two legs, a body, hands

Primus created them in his image. He had a humanoid form, too. But no boobs.

Richy on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Still, what are the odds of an alien having an humanoid form?

aquabat on
  • Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Still, what are the odds of an alien having an humanoid form?

Well, the human form is pretty sturdy, well balanced, and multipurpose. However, I don't think giant robots actually benefit from humanoid bipedal designs. Something to do with physics.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    WHY wrote:
    Crayon wrote:

:shock:

Whoa, totally quoted the wrong thing.

I was referring to the classic transforming sound.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    apparently the cop car (Saleen Mustang) is Brawl.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/31/new-chevy-camaro-to-star-transformers-movie/
    Apparently, "Bumblebee" is going to start out as a 1970s Camaro, and then be rebuilt as a 2008/2009 Camaro. Meanwhile, "Starscream" is going to be an F-22 Raptor, and "Optimus Prime" is going to be a fire truck.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
    edited July 2006
    Proto wrote:
    apparently the cop car (Saleen Mustang) is Brawl.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/05/31/new-chevy-camaro-to-star-transformers-movie/
    Apparently, "Bumblebee" is going to start out as a 1970s Camaro, and then be rebuilt as a 2008/2009 Camaro. Meanwhile, "Starscream" is going to be an F-22 Raptor, and "Optimus Prime" is going to be a fire truck.

A firetruck???

Holy crap, NO!

EDIT:
    Well, given that there are no sources whatsoever in that article, I call bullshit.

Richy on
    sig.gif