As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Bitch and Moan About Cancelled Comics

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I really don't understand you Hughtron.

I mean, would I shed a tear if Wolverine: Origins or Hawkgirl(Which is being cancelled, so that's awesome.) were canceled? No, but if a book is of great quality such as Ant-Man or Blue Beetle or Manhunter and it gets cancelled, it's a sad day. Why should it matter how many books are out there? I mean, if a series is great and gets canceled before it's time it sucks, no matter how many other books are put on the market by Marvel or DC.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007

I mean, would I shed a tear if Wolverine: Origins or Hawkgirl(Which is being cancelled, so that's awesome.) were canceled? No, but if a book is of great quality such as Ant-Man or Blue Beetle or Manhunter and it gets cancelled, it's a sad day. Why should it matter how many books are out there? I mean, if a series is great and gets canceled before it's time it sucks, no matter how many other books are put on the market by Marvel or DC.

he's turning into douglasdanger

not liking any books that people actually read

Garlic Bread on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I made another thread guys, we can talk about it there.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hughtron don't you dare talk shit about The Spirt you fucker; it is so fucking good.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    x-o01.jpg
    Cmon, what can be better than Conan in a symbiotic spacesuit?
    Then Acclaim bought valiant, truned him into a cheapo Ironman, then went bankrupt or something.

I also miss Turok and teh gorgeous Bart Sears art. D:

Shame about Jonah hex.. it was the only DC title besides Hellbazer that I am buying.

JCM on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    I still cry every night at the loss of AZTEK.

It...takes me a while to get over these things.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • MonkeydryeMonkeydrye Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Don't you turds DARE tell me that Hex and ShadowPack are going to be canceled....fuck.

As for my own cancelation woes...I know no one else read it, but I LOVED Heckler.

Monkeydrye on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Monkeydrye wrote: »
    Don't you turds DARE tell me that Hex and ShadowPack are going to be canceled....fuck.

As for my own cancelation woes...I know no one else read it, but I LOVED Heckler.

Well, sales of Jonah Hex and Shadowpact (turd) have been on a steady decline, so it could happen.

Hopefully not of course.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think Jonah Hex will be okay. It's a very niche title being a western, and I think it's still selling better than Blue Beetle or Atom, so they'll probbaly give it more leeway. They probably should have launched it as a Vertigo title though, since it has no real connection to the DCU, with the exception of the upcoming Booster Gold crossover. It would have lived forever with 10-16k sales under that imprint.

Shadowpact's also been slowly leveling out around 20k in sales, which is just enough to keep it alive, but honestly, I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. It still hasn't come close to being as good as DoV was, it hasn't had a regular artist for more than four issues, and it seems to be wandering around with no real main plot to guide it. I once heard it called the Seinfeld of comics, and I think that's apt. It's a book about nothing. The team gets together, they fight stuff, or make quips, and then it's over.

Munch on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Major Bummer
    Chase
    Resurrection Man
    Hard Time
    Captain Carrot & His Amazing Zoo Crew

Jonah Hex is great.
    Shadowpact is crap.

And YES to Heckler (but NO to Vext)

Squashua on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Shadowpact isn't bad, it just has no direction.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    I still say cancelling Rokkin was perhaps one of the greatest sins ever committed in all of comicdom.

rokkinxg3.jpg

Imagine Conan the Barbarian mixed with Dungeons and Dragons, and depicted in an over-the-top, mildly cartoony style. The hero, Arness is a simple man. A former slave whose village was obliterated, he's granted the power to turn his skin to stone by some vaguely defined deity, and uses his powers to crush injustice. Or jerks. Or people he fights in bars. Along for the ride is his platonic pal Evy, a swordswoman with the ability to make copies of herself. Okay, so it's not really like Conan mixed with D&D. It's more like the old Thing cartoon mixed with a transgendered Madrox. Only Arness doesn't yell, "Thing ring do your thing!"

The entire thing has a sort of self-aware absurdity to it. Sure the writing wasn't always on the level of Gaiman, Brubaker, or Moore, but it served the plot well enough. And it only lasted six issues, because you fuckers killed it with your apathy. Hang your heads in shame. And then go scour your local shop's back issues bins for this complete gem of a series.

Munch on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    NextWAVE, you fuckers.

ben0207 on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    NextWAVE wasn't as great as everyone makes it out to be

Garlic Bread on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    damn, maybe i'll have to start picking up hex more often

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »
    NextWAVE wasn't as great as everyone makes it out to be

plus it's not like it was cancelled per se. they just decided to stop doing it

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I thought Nextwave got really good towards the end. I think reading it all in one sitting would be amazing.

august on
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    I thought Nextwave got really good towards the end. I think reading it all in one sitting would be amazing.

that's what I did but it wasn't great like people said

the dialogue was pretty bad

Garlic Bread on
    edited June 2007
    Keith, I'm pretty sure the dialogue was intentionally "bad". It had a sort of "teenagers talking on the internet" quality to it, which I don't think was a mistake.

Munch on
    edited June 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Keith, I'm pretty sure the dialogue was intentionally "bad". It had a sort of "teenagers talking on the internet" quality to it, which I don't think was a mistake.

they all sounded like hot topic kids

Garlic Bread on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It was made for the internet, as far as I'm concerned.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    leave internet culture out of my comics

Garlic Bread on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Addendum:

STOP THROWIN' SNOWBALLS AT MY WINDOWS YOU GODDAMN KIDS

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited June 2007
    It was made for the internet, as far as I'm concerned.

I think that sums up the book perfectly. But it was still one of the most amusing books I'd get every month. Between Immonen's fantastic art and Ellis' penchant for absurdity, I never finished an issue and felt as though I'd wasted my money.

Munch on
    edited June 2007
    It was the most lighthearted thing Ellis did.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    It was the most lighthearted thing Ellis did.

Until he writes a children's novel.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Oh dear God.

Calamity Jane on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well I did my bit and ponied up for the Irredeemable Antman digest, and issues 7 & 8 also.

Why did no-one tell me about this series earlier? Awesome.

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • mattmatt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    desolation jones, allthough it isnt so much as cancelled, its just been left to die. hasnt been a new issue in 6 months.

i swear ellis has ADD or something.

matt on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Keith wrote: »

he's turning into douglasdanger

not liking any books that people actually read

hey man

don't drag me into this lover's spat

just because i do not have a lot of money to allocate to comics doesn't me you should give me shit

i read what i can, i do not have the extra paper to read half as many titles as I would like, so I have to be more choosy.

I was really sad to see Nextwave go on hiatus. It was some kind of crazy Saturday morning cartoon and it was some damn awesome and nutty.

DouglasDanger on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Hayasa wrote: »
    Well I did my bit and ponied up for the Irredeemable Antman digest, and issues 7 & 8 also.

Why did no-one tell me about this series earlier? Awesome.

We...we did. Like, a lot. But good on you for getting with the program. :D

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Zeeb!Zeeb! Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Does anyone know if Pirates of Coney Island was cancelled? There hasn't been a new issue in months.

Zeeb! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Zeeb! wrote: »
    Does anyone know if Pirates of Coney Island was cancelled? There hasn't been a new issue in months.

Vasilis Lolos has a graphic novel coming out from Oni next month, which he drew the entirety of (138 pages!) in like the last two months, so I think he might be a little behind with Pirates. I don't think there's been any official word on it being cancelled, but it hasn't been solicicted yet, so it might have been stealth cancelled.

edit: The Last Call's not out until like September, actually. Here's a stellar 38-page preview though.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • AzraelAzrael Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Azrael. Well, based on quality, yes it should have been cancelled, but O'Neil should have been taken off way before it got there, and the ending pretty well fucked up any chance of him coming back under someone who gave a shit.

And Agent-X. Great stuff, and I thought it was good even without Simone and UDON in the middle. Would have liked to have an ongoing with Hayden and Taskmaster and the rest, with the same sort of lax adherence to Marvel continuity.

Azrael on
  • lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I would have loved to see more Ultimate Daredevils. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one though.

lessthanpi on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If we're gonna talk about canceled Ultimate books, I want more Ultimate Hawk-Owl and Woody. Why there's a Batman in the Ultimate Universe that isn't getting utilized is beyond me. At least get the dude on a team or something.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Is Ant-Man getting a trade? I only read trades...

HadjiQuest on
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    wwtMask wrote: »
    If we're gonna talk about canceled Ultimate books, I want more Ultimate Hawk-Owl and Woody. Why there's a Batman in the Ultimate Universe that isn't getting utilized is beyond me. At least get the dude on a team or something.

He doesn't get utilized because Captain America is his traditional marvel universe counterpart and Ultimate Cap has superpowers, so there's no real point to having him on the team.

Mai-Kero on
    edited July 2007
    Ultimate Adventures was awesome

the idea is terrible (rip off Batman and Robin)

but it was so good

Garlic Bread on
    edited July 2007
    HadjiQuest wrote: »
    Is Ant-Man getting a trade? I only read trades...

A digest-sized trade came out a week or two ago, but for some reason I can't find it on Amazon. Inquire at your local bookstore or comic shop about whether or not they can order it for you. Most will.

Munch on