As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bat-Thread: Bruce Wayne, International Hairy Chested Love God of Mystery

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    everybody underestimates Batman

but to be fair, it's pretty hard to overestimate him

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I think the Court rectifies their mistake though

I mean their strategy in Night of the Owls is KILL EVERYONE THAT KNOWS BATMAN

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    It isn't the costume

look at his fucking neck

Yeah, I guess he does have a... bird neck.

• Options
    I wonder if they're actually going to succeed in killing anybody

just because a century-old society of assassins failing to kill any of the half-dozen people they are trying to kill seems pretty anti-climactic

• Options
    Yeah but we know all of the characters that have their own ongoings are safe

I think the only fatalities will be supporting characters or members of Birds of Prey since it is a team book

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I wonder, with the pennyworth connection being a big part of the backups, maybe alfred will bite it?

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Look, I get what you're saying, but Alfred's invincible. We don't talk about killing Alfred.

• Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Maybe the Owls could cripple Damian and Barbara again.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    Maybe the Owls could cripple Damian and Barbara again.

As long as it involves someone going into a giant mechanical owl and being pooped out in a man sized owl poop pellet I'll buy it.

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Yeah but we know all of the characters that have their own ongoings are safe

I think the only fatalities will be supporting characters or members of Birds of Prey since it is a team book

no

do not hurt anyone in BoP it is too good for that

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    So is the whole Court of Owls thing supposed to be a mystery?

I mean, call me crazy, but maybe
    the centuries old conspiracy of rich people that likes to drug Batman to drive him crazy is run by the centuries old guy that likes to run conspiracies of rich people and drive Batman crazy by drugging him.

Interminable
  • Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So is the whole Court of Owls thing supposed to be a mystery?

I mean, call me crazy, but maybe
    the centuries old conspiracy of rich people that likes to drug Batman to drive him crazy is run by the centuries old guy that likes to run conspiracies of rich people and drive Batman crazy by drugging him.

I don't think it's him.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    Especially considering who is behind Leviathan

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Alfred is behind the Court of Owls and always has been.

• Options
    Owlfred Pennyworth, it's been right in front of Bruce all along.

• Options
    Although I don't really think it's supposed to be a mystery either. A mystery implies suspects and clues. This story doesn't have that. More likely it's just a group of new characters. Unless of course it's the Mayor guy but I'll be really bummed if that's true.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    TexiKen wrote:
    Owlfred Pennyworth, it's been right in front of Bruce all along.

also explains the nefarious court of freds

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I wonder, with the pennyworth connection being a big part of the backups, maybe alfred will bite it?

He'd never stay dead. Would be an interesting direction to go with the franchise until they resurrect him.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    redesigned mr freeze
    1329500309.jpeg

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    It's awkward how the new Freeze is getting introduced in Batwing a week before the annual.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Help, my eyes are bleeding. It's quite painful.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Pretty sure those thigh-canisters would make moving around pretty uncomfortable.

• Options
    ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    "steam scarf"? Did someone actually write that?

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Remind me again why people like Rocafort?

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that is a horrendous redesign

• Options
    JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    I don't think every character needs to have powers.

• Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    I like it, but I also like the very anime-esque take on Red Hood and the Outlaws. It seems like he has his more traditional look in the annual anyway.

• Options
    Mike Mignola made the perfect Mr. Freeze.

That design isn't the perfect anything.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    that is a horrendous redesign

Mr. Freeze saw the Riddler's new mohawk and thought, "Fuck. Yes."

• Options
    I thought part of the point of Mr. Freeze was his humanity.

This guy is basically a straight-up ripoff from Quake 2.

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I mean, I'm trying really hard not be all "Things were better when I was young, now get off my lawn", but man, I really like the Batman:TAS version of Mr. Freeze. I like how the fact that his whole body is covered in the suit parallels his emotional detachment from the world (with the exception of his wife). I like how everything about his appearance is austere and sterile; this dude has a stylish lock of hair on his head and a fashionable jumpsuit-type thing.

• Options
    Dude's a cyborg. Am I right in seeing his left arm has his gun built onto it rather than having a hand?

There's a term I need to come up with. It happens more in videogames, but it has to do with crappy villain design. Somehow everybody is a hairless gothic albino with some degree of form-fitting/bondage gear, some body modification going on, and a very in-your-face lack of humanity to the character. Doesn't matter if the setting is in outer space or ancient greece, the villain looks oddly the same.

This is one of those characters.

• Options
    I don't know why they don't keep the Arkham City design, that was really nice and played into TAS. It's one of the things that's ticked me off about the reboot, purposely changing things that didn't need to be changed just to say it's new (like Nightwing being red instead of blue now or Tim's outfit).

It looks more like nuVulture in ASM than Freeze.

• Options
    Dude's a cyborg. Am I right in seeing his left arm has his gun built onto it rather than having a hand?

There's a term I need to come up with. It happens more in videogames, but it has to do with crappy villain design. Somehow everybody is a hairless gothic albino with some degree of form-fitting/bondage gear, some body modification going on, and a very in-your-face lack of humanity to the character. Doesn't matter if the setting is in outer space or ancient greece, the villain looks oddly the same.

No he's holding it.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    I'll wait for Capullo to draw it before I pass final judgment .

• Options

No he's holding it.

Well then. Double minus points for being extra lazy by completely concealing how the hand would interact with the 'gun.' It looks like it's got a tube you reach into and somewhere in there is a trigger. Maybe.

Now, I might be special or something, and I'm not about to say that maybe the artist should design a working freeze gun, but, maybe the artist should design a working freeze gun? Just have it make sense! Create a place for the power source of whatever-it-is, tubing for the coolant stuff, and make a single, direct barrel that communicate the business end of the weapon and also works with the hand's position for making it believable the thing can be lifted and aimed with actual precision.

Look how front-loaded that thing is. What's with the second barrel? Why is it so much bigger than the first? What's it attaching to? What's the hook for? No, seriously, what's the hook for? You've got it pointed down, son. Is Freeze supposed to climb up a building with it like it's the World's Clunkiest Mountaineering Equipment?

Lest we forget, Freeze wouldn't need to climb if he had his gun. He can grow a pillar of ice by concentrating the blast and rise up as it grows. Wouldn't that be more fun to draw and more interesting than having him claw at some Gotham City fire escape?

I could go on for pages on this.

• Options
    I just want to know why the gun has a hook on the top.

Also, I just realized Mr. Freeze is wearing overalls.

Overalls.

• Options
    Interesting, Munch.

We seem to have formed different opinions about which end of the gun is the top.

• Options
    Well, his bicep is turned inward, as it would be if he was holding something, with the back of his hand facing us. The other possibility is that we're seeing the top of the gun, and those barrels are side-by-side, but if that was the case, his bicep would be turned toward us more.

foH76.png

Of course, the fact that those little doo-dads on his biceps are placed completely differently, doesn't really help to clarify anything.