As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Figures and portraits and illustrations (NSFW)

• wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The last bunch are really cool. Some awesome rendering.

As for the sketches a couple posts up, parts of the faces seem to kinda slide out of place a little bit in most of them. While they are still good, I think you need to spend a few extra minutes laying down some more accurate guidelines. They just seem to be lackin some foundation.

wakkawa on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Sweet lord, Cakemikz, your work is great. Do you have a website for your stuff?

I think I have the same thing going with digital work stopping me from doing actual paint - I have no idea where to start with the stuff, i've never actually painted before and the lack of "undo" scares me off every time. Has moving away from the tablet improved your skill?

Brolo on
  • rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    wakkawa - Thank you, I appreciate the comments. I agree that features are starting to slide in a lot of the drawings, particularly the first two in that last batch of three of the head drawings from the workshop. I love to hear that word; foundation. It truly is the key to good drawings. With only twenty minutes however its a tough decision how much time to put into it, and often times because you are working so quickly some of your original guides will drift. There is a price to pay for correcting some of these issues as well however. It is very easy to stiffen up or sterilize entirely a drawing that you are reworking. It was a nice change of pace to let go a bit and loosen up with it. I hope that I can keep it better under control in the future though. As this next quarter starts in two weeks I will be uploading a lot of drawing work. And I will be keeping everything very structured as I try to prove my worth and attempt to get a drawing on the wall at school.

I am a fan of your work by the way, I love the vibrancy of it and the boobifulness of so much of it. I have saved much of your stuff into a massive inspiration folder that was passed on to me by a friend, and I will likely pass on to another at some point. I look at it when I am having trouble working creatively.

Rolo - Thanks man, I am working on a website right now. But I assure you if I had one you wouldn't see anything there that you have not seen here already. I actually used to be a web designer by profession (though who wasn't?) and I am considering posting the design in this thread but I am not sure if it would be considered appropriate.

Has moving away from the tablet improved my skill? That is a hard question to answer, I have improved since I started painting traditionally but I do not know if you could really pinpoint that as the source of the improvement. More likely the improvement came from just doing more paintings, regardless of the medium. Like I say, I wanted to learn to paint with real paint so that I would have an original when I am done. For an illustrator doing real paintings can be really good, because if you make say, $1000 doing a WoW card game card, you can perhaps later sell your original for another $300 or something like that. Its a lot of extra income, and if you get good you can paint almost as fast as a digital artist. I think that traditional illustrators also tend to be a little more respected in the industry. It may not seem like it on the interweb, but that is because the guys we always hear about are digital artists...guys who are on the computer all the time posting their work browsing forums and promoting themselves through digital means. Traditional painters are not usually as familiar with the inner workings of the internet, and so they dont usually get as much face time on forums like conceptart.org.

rts on
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    wow, those drawings are absolutely amazing. I love the shading and detail. How long have you been illustrating if you don't mind me asking?

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
    edited July 2007
    Mykonos - Thanks man, I started seriously drawing 3 years ago today in fact. I remember because it was the day after the fourth of July, but I was an idiot and left all early because I thought there would be a lot of traffic. There wasn't. (My first day of school at Watts Atelier I mean).

I am visiting my mother right now but I brought a lot of my work along with me and I have been working on this comic. Two of the three panels are taken care of, just the last one to do now and I will upload it. Hopefully you guys wont murder me.

rts on
    edited July 2007
    So, yesterday we finished the workshop with Jeremy Lipking here at Watts Atelier. The first day was an awesome 6 hour demo by Mr. Lipking, but the second and third were working days for the students. I wasn't too happy with my painting from the second day, and I ended up cutting my day a little short when someone spilled terp all over me. But I was decently happy with my painting from the third day, and here it is:

lipkingworkshop1.jpg

Its a bit colorful, especially for something painted in a Lipking workshop, but I don't know whats wrong with me. Thats just how I paint. I wish I had painted it more like this:

http://www.rtschutter.com/work/lipkingworkshop2.jpg

In fact, I am considering printing this out in high quality and keeping it in my car so I can reference it next time I am working on a portrait. To help keep myself in check. In any case, sorry for the lack of updates recently but the new quarter started today (my first class is tomorrow) and I should have plenty of new work to show soon.

rts on
  • thundercakethundercake Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    O_O Beautiful!! I can't see anything to critique really...I'll be checking back :)

thundercake on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The one problem spot im having, is the the brushstrokes of that bright red brown in her hair, to the left of her forhead.

It seems you were trying to put some light there, which is a good idea, but that light could be much more intergrated with the rest of the hair. You can still keep the brushstroke quality, which is maybe what you were going for, but as of right now I dont think they are working for the image.

Greatnation on
    edited July 2007
    thundercake - Thanks man, please do! I think I will upload whatever I do today in my two classes. Unless it is just really bad.

Greatnation - I agree, those three strokes look like ass. I wish that the painting was still wet so I could blend them out, but maybe I will go back in and fix it with a glaze. There are still a few things bothering me in her lips, and her right eye as well.

rts on
  • ikeeeikeee Registered User new member
    edited July 2007
    cakemikz,

Good work... personally I like the vibrant color used in your last image... good work. The only critique I would give is concerning your brush strokes- they don't always look real intentional. Try pulling longer contoured strokes... especially in the hair.

Kudos,

ikeee

ikeee on
  • LlyLly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, how did I miss this thread?!

Some great work going on here mate. Keep it up and keep posting :D

(is jealous!)

Lly on
    edited July 2007
    ikeee - Thanks for the comments, I definately have a long ways to go in my brush handling. I have been reading David Leffel's book recently and he was really emphasizing the important of each stroke, and how its quality contributes to the overall image. I am very familiar with edgework, but there is so much more to think about with transitions in paintings. And there are so many different ways to lay down a stroke that it hurts my mind to think about it.

Lly - Thanks, I plan to keep posting though I am not very good about it sometimes.

Anyways, here is a little of my stuff from the past three days, nothing too exciting but the quarter is only just getting started. We also had 3 hour instructor demos in a couple of my classes on the first day so I didnt end up doing any work for those.

One crappy page of quicksketches from my 'figure quicksketch' class (5 mins each):
    brfigure2.jpg

One 20 minute head layin from my 'head, figure, quicksketch' class:
    chrhead1.jpg

One 20 minute layin from my '20 minute figure layins' class:
    stfigure1.jpg

The next 2 are very light because thats just how I start a long drawing. I thought it might be neat to show sort of a progression on these two though over the next 5 weeks.

The first 3 hours of a 15 hour pose from my 'long pose figure drawing' class:
    chrfigure1.jpg

The first 3 hours of a 15 hour pose from my 'long pose head drawing' class:
    alportrait1.jpg

I collect art as well, and I don't know if its really appropriate but I was thinking of posting some links to some pieces I recently purchased. I collect both fine art and illustrations, mostly from my instructors here at Watts but sometimes from others. I am pretty excited about some of the pieces I picked up recently so I thought it might be neat to share. I will think about it some more before I post them though.

rts on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I think I like the 5 minute stuff the best, just because they seem to show the most understanding, plus they look sweet as usual.

bombardier on
    edited July 2007
    Bombardier - Thanks for the comments, though I am not too sure what you mean by showing the most understanding. I would hope my longer studies would show more understanding!

Not much of an update here but I have started to work on the final versions of these illustrations for the World of Warcraft card game competition that one of my instructors is hosting. I am really struggling with this, mostly with the design of the weapon. It is actually pretty far from the design in the game but when I submitted my sketches that didnt seem to bother the judges. I know they need to be cleaned up quite a bit but I can't decide whether to just clean up what I have down or to redesign them entirely. I am also unsure of what kind of color harmonies I want going on in this thing. I am a pretty colorful painter so I have just pushed it to full color right now but I dont know if I want to tone that back a bit in the final.

Anyways, here is my start on the gnome guy (man what a handsome dude).

gnomecolor1.jpg

rts on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    A fundamental understanding of the basic form and shapes. You simplify things well and get the point across with minimal contour and shading.

bombardier on
  • IZRAIZRA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ah, remarkable work i say. and also makes me yearn for the good ol days of life drawing.

question: where are you studying? you mention max turner , and he was just in san diego for a workshop. I missed it though :/

do continue.

IZRA on
    edited July 2007
    bombardier - Ah I see, well I will upload some newer quicksketches tomorrow night I think. They are improving pretty quickly in my awesome opinion.

IZRA - Thanks chief. The Max Turner workshop in San Diego was at my school Watts Atelier. I think Max Turner liked the school a lot too. Maybe he will come back and do another workshop. If you live in the San Diego area, are interested in fine art, illustration, or concepting then you at least need come to check out the school.

Also, if you are going to the Comicon (which started today) Watts Atelier has a booth there, #5465. I think there will be live drawing demos going on through most of the convention at the booth so drop by and check it out. Erik Gist will probably be manning the booth/doing the drawing. If anyone sees him you should throw a fake punch at him and make an explosion noise with your mouth. He'll know who sent you. Otherwise, come by the school between 6-8pm on August 12th. We have a sketch night one Sunday per month and anyone is welcome. Or just call Jeff to set up an appointment to come check it out. He is probably pretty busy this week with the Comicon going on though.

Ah man, nobody can say I am not doing my part to try to promote the school!

rts on
  • IZRAIZRA Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    see, i had a feeling you studied at Atellier , cause i recognize some of the models. plus the kind of instruction they give is felt on your pieces. yes, i know the school as my Girlfriend studies there.

i will make sure that if i see Gist at the comic con, ill throw that punch... just for kicks XD

IZRA on
    edited July 2007
    That's cool. I wont ask you to reveal your girlfriend's identity over the internet, but tell her if she sees this awesome guy at the school to say hello (myself with Max Turner).

rts on
    edited July 2007
    Alright, here we go. Some stuff from this week. Sorry about some of the crappier photos. I have a really nice camera but man..when it comes to shooting my work I am retarded.

Quicksketch:

3-5mins
    zquicks1.jpg

3-5mins (leftmost and rightmost sketches were done by Lucas)
    zquicks2.jpg

15mins
    zfig1.jpg

2 hour figure in charcoal:

(sorry I took this photo at an angle I guess..you get the idea)
    chfig3.jpg

3 hour texture study in oil:

(Going to finish it up after I get these fake WoW cards done. Also, I can't take credit for anything good in this image, as Lucas worked on it quite a bit.)
    wineglass1.jpg

And updates on the two long figures. Both of which I practically started over on since last week. Had to bump up the contrast on one so you can see something.

alportrait2.jpg

chfig4.jpg

rts on
    edited July 2007
    A couple pages from todays classes.

2 hour figure, with one of the instructors working on it at the end of the class
    shfig1.jpg

A page of lots of 3 and 2 minute quicksketches with a few 5 minutes in there
    zquicks3.jpg

rts on
    edited July 2007
    Looking really good again, Cake.

The more muscle-y ones (http://www.rtschutter.com/work/chfig4.jpg and http://www.rtschutter.com/work/chfig3.jpg ) have kind of an off quality to them, they remind me of Hogarth in that there's lots of musculature on display, but it's lacking the layer of fat and skin that would be normal for someone of that build.

In the top picture in your latest post, the figure's right leg looks a little squashed with the extreme foreshortening, other than I can't see any real problems.

Are the poses in that last pic all done from life? I've tried doing the "lots of studies on one page" thing before because I love how it looks, but I've never gotten anything out of it but a sketchy mess.

Brolo on
    edited July 2007
    Rolo - Thanks, though the muscle-y ones are not all that muscle-y. I mean, he is a very very very lean guy. But he isn't a weight-lifter or anything. Just a really skinny guy who you can see a lot of information on because he has so little bodyfat. In any case, a lot of that information will be much more subtle in the final, but at this phase I just needed to get it down to make sure everything was in the correct place.

Do you mean her right leg or the right leg in the drawing? I know you said figure, but of the two the foreshortening of her left leg bothers me more. And yes, all of the quicksketches were drawn from life. Most of the success of that page is just due to having an awesome model. She took the coolest poses.

rts on
    edited July 2007
    Keep it man, great stuff.

Lly on
    edited July 2007
    Thanks Lly.

Here is what I think will be the final version of my fake World of Warcraft Card Game weapon card for the competition being hosted by one of my instructors and being judged by the actual art directors on the game. The 'Righteous Fury' paladin card is still in the works, though there are only 4 hours left until the deadline so I really need to get my ass moving on it. There is still time to make some corrections to this one though if you guys see anything too serious.

WeaponFinal.jpg

rts on
    edited July 2007
    Alright, and here is my final for the Paladin card.

PaladinFinal.jpg

And both of them shrunk down to around card size:

RyanSchutterFinalsSml.jpg

rts on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There's something overly-cartoonish in the dwarf's face that I don't like. I think it's also the symmetry/plastic-quality of the beard/moustache. The shape of the first guy's mouth also seems a bit bizarre.

The life drawings are fabulous as usual, though.

NightDragon on
    edited July 2007
    I think your coloured pieces are easily the weakest work here. Both the colouring and the composition are fairly weak. The composition of "character torso in the middle of the canvas in a semi-dynamic pose with dramatic lighting" is just really boring to look at.

Lly on
    edited July 2007
    Both pieces look a little rushed, especially the way the lighting still looks so sketchy. For the gnome it takes away from the sharpness of the blades, with the Paladin those light sphere-things lack definition.

Brolo on
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited July 2007
    I have to agree here- while your work from life is uniformly excellent, it seems that in your works purely from imagination lack the same sort of impact, going even back to the monster sketch on the first page. I think some of it might have to do with you're not yet used to dealing with some of the issues of composition and lighting in the purely abstract, without the aid of a model.

A big thing I'm noticing here is a lack of contrast overall, and knowing how to set up your lights to get the form to read clearest- a really imporant factor on work that will ultimately be quite small-scale like this. (Two purely technical hints: 1) When working in photoshop, hit window>documents>new window and make the new window a really tiny size on the edge of your screen, so you can keep an eye on the overall picture's readabllity as you're working on it. Also, make a Hue/Saturation adjustment layer with 0% saturation so you can swtich back and forth from color to black and white, keeping an eye on the tonal values).

For example, take the paladin image. A couple things: for bright, glowy magic, it's just not bright and glowy enough to be really impressive, and the contrast isn't enough to make it read as the most important thing in the picture. Go balls out to make it read. Second, the tone of the body of the dude is pretty close to the background, and on the blue parts of the outfit nearly identical in color. Now, there might not be much you can ultimately do about either of those things, but you can set up a light source that will brighten that edge and strengthen the readability of the silhouette.

Paintover to show what I mean (man it feels wierd doing a paintover for you considering your life drawing stuff stomps my stuff into fine dust)
    cakemikz.jpg

This certainly isn't perfect by any means, and could probably still use a bit of clarification (example, I'm not totally sure what is armor and what isn't in many places on the outfit), but by adding a bit of contrast in a rimlight to punch out the silhouette of the figure versus the background, it becomes easier to pick out the overall shape of the figure more easily. (Sure it's a little cheesy, but shit Hollywood does it all the time).

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited July 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys! I wish I had some of these before I submitted, but thats how it goes I guess.

NightDragon - Haha, well I really wanted to get across the cartoonyness of WoW. A lot of the other participants had their cards rejected for not following the WoW styleguide and I got some really positive comments on the gnome. I wasnt sure how to reduce the plastic quality of the beard and mustache without making it feel like it didnt fit in the illustration though.

Lly - These things are supposed to be printed at like 51x46mm and 59x46mm. Thats not a lot of room for ultra dynamic compositions. I am not too sure what else I should have done. If I look through the cards that have seen print in the actual game the majority aren't even this dynamic. If this was a fullsize illustration maybe I would have taken the dynamics a bit further, but my main concern was making sure they read well at such a small scale. I have to keep in mind what will work for the game, and not necesarily what would most please me. I am trying to show these guys that I am capable of doing work for them. I don't know if that's what I have done, in fact I certainly doubt it. But I can't just do whatever I want, I need to make these images apply to the descriptions I was given and to address their comments as best I can when executing the final. There are only so many ways that you can draw 'a male Draenei paladin berserk with fury, and radiating magical light because he has become so powerful' while keeping it very readable in a tiny box. Sorry to get defensive, but this wasn't the most constructive comment!

Rolo - They were pretty rushed! Though, honestly I am incapable at the moment of taking an illustration much further than this. I just lock up at around this point. Do you still feel the blades are reading poorly in the reduced version? I thought they were fine in the small version. And the orbs, oh man the orbs. I had a good 45 minutes before the deadling when I realized the orbs really needed to be cleaned up. The problem was I didnt know how. In the game they have this sort of hyroglyphic type of thing going on but all of my attempts at getting any kind of indication for that failed miserably. So I just stuck with the spiraly circles look. I wanted them to look like more than just white blurs though.

Angel_of_Bacon - Thanks a lot! This is a big help. I definately wish I had these comments before I submitted. I love the photoshop tricks you mentioned, I wish I had known about them. Unfortunately this is likely to be one of the last things I ever do digitally. The paintover is great. I had rimlights almost everywhere you put them but they were a bit more subtle. I definately wish I had pushed them more now. You are a smart guy to be pushing the silhouette in a small scale illustration like that. One of the art directors on the game was telling me that it is key to push the silhouette in these cards. Thats what I was trying to do but I think I failed on the Paladin card. Your paint-over is better in that sense. You lost some of the color feel which I thought was important, but its just a paint-over and thats to be expected.

Thanks a lot man!

Hopefully my creative work will get to the quality of my work from life, but I guess if worse comes to worst I could just pursue fine art!

Thanks again everybody, but next time comment on the sketches before I do the finals please!! (I don't mean this in a mean jackass sort of way, I mean it seriously because it would be awesomely helpful)

rts on
  • furiousNUfuriousNU Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    cakemikz wrote: »
    Thanks for the comments guys! I wish I had some of these before I submitted, but thats how it goes I guess.

NightDragon - Haha, well I really wanted to get across the cartoonyness of WoW. A lot of the other participants had their cards rejected for not following the WoW styleguide and I got some really positive comments on the gnome. I wasnt sure how to reduce the plastic quality of the beard and mustache without making it feel like it didnt fit in the illustration though.

While I realize my comments are late you may find them useful for future projects:

Unfortunately, the "plastic" look of the bread+mustache makes it look like it's blended into the neck area/part of some sort of weird face mask(and it's still noticeable in the smaller version). The good news is that it isn't difficult to fix. You need to decide whether the bread goes in or in front of the gnome's armor and give the bread a more hairlike texture(I'd say bread in front if you are short on time). For the mustache, lightly define it's "ends". You can accomplish this by making/downloading custom brushes for cs or use a thin hard brush to put in a few hairs here and there and/or maybe some very subtle dodge/burn.

I wish you best of luck in the competition, you have some nice looking pieces.

edit: I just looked at your pally and thought of something else. You could probably highlight the gnome's bread like you did with the back/side of the draenei pally's hair, expect with slightly darker colors.

furiousNU on
    edited August 2007
    furiousNU - Thanks a lot for the comments. I will keep those suggestions in mind for future pieces.

Sorry for not updating in awhile, but I have been pretty busy (drawing). I will shoot some of my recent work and upload it tomorrow. But for now I thought I might just post a couple of painting demos (for the WoW card game) that two of my instructors did at Blizzcon. They were there painting in the Upperdeck booth.

The first is Erik Gist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3nug67ISOA

The second is Lucas Graciano:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuuYKBqHbCs

And here is a photo I found of them online:

IMG_4563.jpg

rts on
    edited October 2007
    20 minute figure lay-in in charcoal.
    sabfigure1.jpg

So, we have started a new quarter at Watts and I am taking 14 classes (plus the additional two workshops on occassion). I am quite busy but I will shoot some of my newest work this week including a WIP of a long drawing of a viking dude.

I also have a new illustration in the works which is just exiting the thumbnail phase now.

rts on
    edited October 2007
    Good to have you back, Cake. I want to see your new stuff.

Brolo on
    edited November 2007
    Alright, here we go. Sorry it took so long...but I evacuated from my house in San Diego and it really made my 14-class schedule even more chaotic. I got around to shooting some work today though. Most of what follows will be from weeks two and three of this quarter so far. I have to go back and find all of the week one stuff and most of the week two stuff to shoot. I wont upload everything I do each week, but one of my instructors has asked me to create a 'drawing diary' of sorts for his own forum. I figure I will just post all of that work here as well.

Week 1:

I will add some work later once I have shot it.

Week 2:

Friday-

2 hours in charcoal
    fri2hour.jpg

Saturday-

4 hours in charcoal
    sat4hour.jpg

Week 3:

Monday-

warm ups - 5 minutes in charcoal (some were from last saturday)
    mon5min.jpg

20 minutes in charcoal
    mon20min.jpg

20 minutes in charcoal
    mon20min2.jpg

2 hours in charcoal
    mon2hour.jpg

Wednesday-

20 minutes in charcoal
    wed20min.jpg

warm ups - 5 minutes in charcoal
    wed5min.jpg

2 hours in charcoal
    wed2hour.jpg

2 hours in charcoal
    wed2hour2.jpg

Friday-

2 hours in charcoal
    fri2hour.jpg

Saturday-

4 hours in charcoal (I may reshoot this to get rid of the grain)
    sat4hour.jpg

Any comments criticisms critiques and/or questions are welcome and appreciated.

rts on
  • RackhamRackham Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Amazing work. Very good stuff

Rackham on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    you've got an awesome handle on the watts figure drawing technique. Expertly rendered, great anatomy, lush and poetic. I wanna see what your personality can bring to the table. You've learned so much, I think you should really start to design your figures. Look at James Jeans figures on his blog, or Alberto Ruiz's scriblettes or stuff out of Sam Weber's sketchbook. You can make pretty drawings forever, and you can enter concept art masturbatory generica, or you can do your own shit- i wanna see your own shit.

(but keep up the studies too! flashy as always man)

Greatnation on
  • Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love your stuff, it's really inspiring! I think I'll go work on my charcoal piece soon

Asamof the Horrible on
  • NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really wish you could videotape your process or something.

...I'm sure it wouldn't be a terrible surprise to me or anything, heheh (I think you mentioned it before) but it would be cool to watch.

NightDragon on