As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East 2012 Fitness Group! [Meetup Friday 4/6 1PM outside the Wyvern Theater]

• BaconSandwichBaconSandwich Registered User regular
    Week 1, 2/07/12: Weight 247.8 (+/- 0 lbs, +/- 0%)
    Week 2, 2/14/12: Weight 244.4 (-3.4 lbs, -1.4%)
    Week 3, 2/21/12:
    Week 4, 2/28/12:
    Week 5, 3/06/12:
    Week 6, 3/13/12:
    Week 7, 3/20/12:
    Week 8, 3/27/12:
    Week 9: 4/05/12 (AT PAX!!!):

(If you realized you're math dumb like me, percentage lost is weight lost divided by original weight, ex. my 3.4 lbs(weigh lost)/247.8(original)x100≈1.4, rounded to the first decimal place.)

So... I got a little points crazy on Fitocracy and tried a seven set deadlift workout that I really shouldn't have. Right now my lower back is screaming at me. It's good sore, like when I started doing squats again, but in the worst place because as a human I use my back for just about every movement. Taking it a little easy to aid in recovery.

PAX East 2010/2011/2012 Omeganaut!
  • vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular

(If you realized you're math dumb like me, percentage lost is weight lost divided by original weight, ex. my 3.4 lbs(weigh lost)/247.8(original)x100≈1.4, rounded to the first decimal place.)

Not ashamed to admit that I did a quick Google search to make sure I was doing my % calculation correct. Glad I wasn't the only one ;)

• TinksterTinkster Registered User regular
    vttym wrote:

Not ashamed to admit that I did a quick Google search to make sure I was doing my % calculation correct. Glad I wasn't the only one ;)

Okay, I feel better >.>

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    Tinkster wrote:
    vttym wrote:

Okay, I feel better >.>

I just left mine off. I'm pissed off at my diet right now anyway.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    So healthwise, I have an update:

Yesterday, February 13th, I had surgery to remove half of my thyroid to get rid of a large mass. I'm sore as frig, but I am dealing with the results by taking painkillers and eating soft foods. After I recover, I plan on working on my couch to 5K stuff and getting myself ready for the Spartan Sprint, which I am now registered for.

edited February 2012
    I just left mine off. I'm pissed off at my diet right now anyway.

But... you lost 6 pounds right? Must be doing something right.

Yesterday, February 13th, I had surgery to remove half of my thyroid to get rid of a large mass. I'm sore as frig, but I am dealing with the results by taking painkillers and eating soft foods. After I recover, I plan on working on my couch to 5K stuff and getting myself ready for the Spartan Sprint, which I am now registered for.

Get better soon! Recover quickly, there's still work to do!

BaconSandwich on
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    So I finally stopped eating junkfood and started working out again. So far so good. Trying to share all my cookie-brigade practice with others to avoid Gaining weight for PAX :P

Heading off to sneak in a quick run before we figure out what to do for Valentine's dinner. Thinking some small steak portion with a nice port/pomegranate reduction ... though we may go for chicken. We'll see. Red mango for dessert!

Anyone got some good, not-too-difficult, low-fat dinner recipes?
    Week 1 - 2/07/12: Weight 148 (+/- 0 lbs, +/- 0%)
    Week 2 - 2/14/12: 143 (-5, - 3.38%)
    Week 3 - 2/21/12:
    Week 4 - 2/28/12:
    Week 5 - 3/06/12:
    Week 6 - 3/13/12:
    Week 7 - 3/20/12:
    Week 8 - 3/27/12:
    Week 9 - 4/05/12:

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    So healthwise, I have an update
    Cancer is terrible no matter how you look at it, but at least it was in a removable organ. Best of luck on your recovery!!

• vttymvttym Ardent Gamer Northern NJRegistered User regular

Get well soon - let your body heal; there's plenty of time to do what you need to after recovery :)

• browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    ishtra wrote:
    Heading off to sneak in a quick run before we figure out what to do for Valentine's dinner. Thinking some small steak portion with a nice port/pomegranate reduction ... though we may go for chicken. We'll see. Red mango for dessert!

if you go for the steak/pom, you'll have a totally red meal with your dessert mango! :) sounds delish!

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI

wishing you a quick recovery, man! LMK if you still need help w/ your trading cards!

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • TinksterTinkster Registered User regular

I'm glad everything went well with the surgery; hope you feel better soon!

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular

Glad to hear everything went well. Hope you are feeling better soon!

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
  • DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    Tinkster wrote:
    vttym wrote:

Okay, I feel better >.>

Totally googled it, making me very aware how much my already minimal math skills have slipped.

Your willpower amazes me. Spartan Sprint looks tough! Get well soon!

5I7JEDi.png
  • TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    Week 1, 2/07/12: Weight 210 (+/- 0 lbs, +/- 0%)
    Week 2, 2/14/12: Weight 206 (-4lbs,-2%)
    Week 3, 2/21/12:
    Week 4, 2/28/12:
    Week 5, 3/06/12:
    Week 6, 3/13/12:
    Week 7, 3/20/12:
    Week 8, 3/27/12:

I rounded that percentage but it's close enough. I like nice solid percentages XD
    For the following weeks is it still going to be percent from original weight or from the weight of the previous week?

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • Dgeorge318Dgeorge318 Registered User regular
    Week 1, 2/07/12: Weight 233.5 (+/- 0 lbs, +/- 0%)
    Week 2, 2/14/12: Weight 228 (-5.5 lbs, -2.35%)
    Week 3, 2/21/12:
    Week 4, 2/28/12:
    Week 5, 3/06/12:
    Week 6, 3/13/12:
    Week 7, 3/20/12:
    Week 8, 3/27/12:

Probably not the best day to check in. I was out running around for my barbershop groups Singing Valentines and then hit the gym up afterwards for a weighin and workout. So clothing changed from my work attire and I hadn't eaten much for the day. Either way. Win.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Spartan Sprint now added to my list of events. It's up there with Run for Your Life and Warrior Dash.

Looking for some Tough Mudder next year, MAYBE!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    edited February 2012
    if you go for the steak/pom, you'll have a totally red meal with your dessert mango! :) sounds delish!
    We ended up switching but was still a nice new recipe; steak with a caramel-brandy au jous/glaze. Paired with some pasta and veggies = yum. We started too late to have time for Red Mango though, so looking forward to that later in the week :)

Skiing this weekend - can't wait to see how fitocracy counts that :P

ishtra on
  • DreamwishDreamwish Registered User regular
    With my knee the way it is, I can't see this really getting much better for a little while.

Week 1, 2/07/12: Weight 252 (+/- 0 lbs, +/- 0%)
    Week 2, 2/14/12: Weight 250 (-2lbs, 0.794%)
    Week 3, 2/21/12:
    Week 4, 2/28/12:
    Week 5, 3/06/12:
    Week 6, 3/13/12:
    Week 7, 3/20/12:
    Week 8, 3/27/12:
    Week 9: 4/05/12:

ishtra wrote:

It's...interesting.

edited February 2012
    For the following weeks is it still going to be percent from original weight or from the weight of the previous week?

It should be total percent lost (from original weight). This is what we'll be able to use to compare ourselves to each other. Pounds is not really a fair comparison b/c some people have much more to lose than others, so it's about what % of your weight you lost (i.e. what's significant for you, at your current weight.)

browncoatbeth on

• adias.angeladias.angel Tech-Savvy Wife Kalamazoo, MIRegistered User regular
    ishtra wrote:

That means you will complete the sports and downhill quests! :D

Prime '12, '13, '14, '15, '19 .. East '12
    edited February 2012
    But... you lost 6 pounds right? Must be doing something right.

It was just water weight* from my cheat weekend. I've been stuck at the same 'actual' weight for almost 2 weeks.

*People normally carry around 5-10 pounds of water weight (known as 'inflammation' in naturopathic circles) that will come off in 2-4 days when starting a diet. Only after that comes off are you actually burning fat reserves. Folks often misunderstand that when they come off a diet and immediately put on weight, that the diet failed. It's actually water weight that's being put back on.

LexiconGrrl on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    I weigh in tomorrow. I am actually convinced I will lose nothing from the past week. If I lose even .5 of a lb, I will be happy. As long as I don't gain any.

I will be pretty bummed if I did gain any.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • nicholas_wrightnicholas_wright Registered User regular
    So... I got a little points crazy on Fitocracy and tried a seven set deadlift workout that I really shouldn't have. Right now my lower back is screaming at me. It's good sore, like when I started doing squats again, but in the worst place because as a human I use my back for just about every movement. Taking it a little easy to aid in recovery.

Are you doing any kind of self-care, like foam rolling, SMR, PNF, or ART? If you really stress body parts and don't do your due diligence, you'll tighten up. I'm often the last person out of my gym because I've got a half hour drive ahead of me and I need to take some time with a rumble roller so I stay mobile; it is a worst abuse of your body to sit down right afterward a workout without a cool-off and mobilization period.

And your mob time gets you points on Fitocracy, look for "foam rolling" in the search bar.

Lastly, Kelly Starrett on taking care of yourself.

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    My PE class doesn't really do much. We're seniors, and PE is an elective, and some people want to play games and have fun, and some want to just be competitive and rough and ruin it for everyone.

So now our PE class is split in two where the competitive people do whatever and then the rest of us can play whatever we want. My friends and I like to play frisbee, and as of recently when I don't have the Frisbee I start doing jumping jacks or quick things like that. Sometimes I take breaks where I do other quick work outs. But today it turned into one big group work out... except it was everyone making me work out. And it just sorta happened because they knew I'm trying to lose weight.

My friend held the frisbees like claws and chased me around trying to smack me so I'd run, and when I fell to the ground exhausted they held a frisbee over my head saying it was Benedict Cumberbatch (one of my favorite actors) and I started doing sit ups jokingly to get it, and as I did more and they pulled it away, I really became competitive to win over the Benedict Cumberbatch Frisbee until I was too tired to do more. I never actually thought that pretending a frisbee was something else would actually make me want to grab it.

Just a random story I wanted to share because I found today amusing

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    Are you doing any kind of self-care, like foam rolling, SMR, PNF, or ART? If you really stress body parts and don't do your due diligence, you'll tighten up. I'm often the last person out of my gym because I've got a half hour drive ahead of me and I need to take some time with a rumble roller so I stay mobile; it is a worst abuse of your body to sit down right afterward a workout without a cool-off and mobilization period.

And your mob time gets you points on Fitocracy, look for "foam rolling" in the search bar.

Lastly, Kelly Starrett on taking care of yourself.

Awesome and awesome. I have not but definitely will do if my university gym has some rolls, also if I have the time. Guess instead of the extra sets I could do some foam rolling

• SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular

You are a trooper! I'll skip the advice part as so many have given great advice, and go right to hoping your recovery is swift and effective.

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • OmgspidersOmgspiders Registered User new member
    Never posted in here before. I mostly hang out on Fitocracy, or /fit/. Last year I decided I wanted to go to Pax Prime, a very long flight from East Tennessee. Once I bought the tickets I thought I'd get fit while I was at it. I only had five months at my disposal, but I dropped from 225 to 160 via moderating my diet and jogging and lifting (a lot). I was actually pretty into it. It was only just too bad I didn't notice this thread until after PAX. I am currently working on getting fit for this years PAX Main as well, while communicating with friends who are going to PAX East with you guys. This year I don't have five months; I have seven. This is going to be fun.

Feel free to add me on Fitocracy, or if you see me at one of the PAX events, say 'Hello'. Good luck everyone, I'm really impressed with these threads. Great motivation. Tonight is lifting night though, so I must be going. Keep at it, and remember that diet is just as important as exercise!

Fitocracy: LargeSpiders
    IRL: Matt

Well, after thinking if fucked up my past WW week, I lost 3.2 lbs. Haha. This is insane. Some sort of voodoo is going on here that I am losing this much. That is my second highest weight loss total so far this year.

Since the start of the year, I have gone from 256 lbs to 240 lbs.

bYf6vNQ.png
    redfield85 wrote:

Congrats! That's awesome!

redfield85 wrote:

Congrats! That's awesome!

I know! I don't think I have ever really committed to losing weight. I joined WW and it just started falling off like nothing. I don't think I have changed how active I am either. I play floor hockey once or twice a week (depending if a league is still going on) and just started up ice hockey again like two weeks ago.

bYf6vNQ.png
  • BinarySamuraiBinarySamurai Code Chef Registered User regular
    I am down 11lbs so far I am hoping to get 20 more before I leave for PAX. So back problems took me away from exercise for a month, but I am getting back into the groove and sticking to my diet. No being worn out this year for me!

• DirewolfDirewolf Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I am down 11lbs so far I am hoping to get 20 more before I leave for PAX. So back problems took me away from exercise for a month, but I am getting back into the groove and sticking to my diet. No being worn out this year for me!

Seriously - not being worn out is one of the biggest pushes for me. Was ridiculously tired from walking all over the BCEC last year. Half my workout is geared to build stamina and strengthen my lower back.

5I7JEDi.png
    Direwolf wrote:
    Seriously - not being worn out is one of the biggest pushes for me. Was ridiculously tired from walking all over the BCEC last year. Half my workout is geared to build stamina and strengthen my lower back.

that's totally a good call ... So much walking.
    That means you will complete the sports and downhill quests! :D
    - Oooh I like it :D I haven't gone since I started fitocracy, so I'm excited to see it.
    Taking it easy today and tomorrow though - last time I ended up doing the treadmill on too steep an incline, and my calves Hated me while wearing ski boots. Excited to get March skiing in Feb though @_@

My biggest push is being able to take my shirt off at the beach. Whomp, whomp.

Just got back from Hockey Giant (a giant ice hockey store) and was looking to get new hockey pants. Largest size I found was 38-42. My jeans are a 42 and they are a little big on me. Those were the only near 42 pants I found and they were like $170. Nooooo thank you. I will wait a few weeks and get a smaller, cheaper pair. Yay motivation! I did buy two sticks for $110 though. Haha.

bYf6vNQ.png
    Direwolf wrote:

I wonder if there's a workout to prevent sore feet? I felt like a cripple by the time the weekend was over.

• SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Direwolf wrote:

I wonder if there's a workout to prevent sore feet? I felt like a cripple by the time the weekend was over.

My plan is that if I get comfortable with running and do some resistive bodyweight exercises that I will be prepared for the walking/general endurance needed for PAX East. It's been a bonus to phase out my reliance on coffee. Hope that helps!

Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png

Have you considered the wonder that is insoles/orthotics? I can do heavy duty walking for 8 hours straight with minimal irritation with a pair of 30 dollar insoles.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    Have you considered the wonder that is insoles/orthotics? I can do heavy duty walking for 8 hours straight with minimal irritation with a pair of 30 dollar insoles.

That's a good idea.

A better idea is losing 50 pounds, ha HA!

I finished all my C25K runs for this week. My next run will have me doing more running than walking (no more even intervals), I hope I don't fail!