As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Diplomacy: Spring map 1911 on page 17. Down to E/F/T for the win

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Who would've ever thought The Balkans would be a trouble spot?

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Sorry, just following my insane Italy strategy that is basically: "You're gonna die anyways, go out with a bang instead of limping out slowly".

I'm actually really curious to see what AH would have done. I imagine I would be fucked.

Assuran on
    Spring 1902 board

game-history-38055-2-O.png

France has hurt my feelings.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Assuran wrote:
    Sorry, just following my insane Italy strategy that is basically: "You're gonna die anyways, go out with a bang instead of limping out slowly".

I'm actually really curious to see what AH would have done. I imagine I would be fucked.

I've been in two games thus far that Italy has won. It is the only power that has won two games that I've been in.

Italy isn't really all that weak, it just requires that you get set with someone in the East real quick. It also requires that there not be a Juggernaut.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    Oh the intrigue! It's positively bamboozling!

• EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    jakobagger wrote:
    On the face of it, looks like a bad day to be Austria.

this is not an issue with simply the face of it. It is certainly a bad day to be Austria.

I really hope he didn't quit. That would be pretty terrible form, especially after only one turn in.

It's the first thing they mention in the guide!
    1. Don’t be a quitter. When you start a new game you are playing with 6 other players who are all investing time and energy into the game the 7 of you are playing. When you put your name down to play the game you are entering in a sort of social contract with the other players to play that game. If you end up doing poorly you may be tempted to drop out. Don’t do it! Dropping out in anger or frustration may mean that another player’s position in the game is affected by your decision not to play any longer. Remember that this is a game with 7 players only one of which can win, which means that 6 players do not win.

edited February 2012
    Cap died to inactivitus in the mini-phalla yesterday as well, so hopefully it's more of a IRL situation came up (and that the IRL isn't anything bad).

Assuran on
  • jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Well, he's still active in my Chaos game, but I suppose that is a lot less time consuming than Diplomacy.

Son of a bitch!

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    I didn't quit!
    AUSTRIA
    Vienna SUPPORT Budapest to Rumania -> Cant support square rum
    Budapest MOVE Rumania -> Destroyed by a gal - bud

I just got face rolled in my first game :D

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Capfalcon wrote:
    I didn't quit!
    AUSTRIA
    Vienna SUPPORT Budapest to Rumania -> Cant support square rum
    Budapest MOVE Rumania -> Destroyed by a gal - bud

I just got face rolled in my first game :D

Austria is the country with the most eliminations. It's a hard one to hang on with.

However, it's one of the easier countries to solo with, since you are so close to the stalemate line.

"We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    GERMANY

Holland SUPPORT Galicia to Budapest -> Cant support square bud

...What?

Fall 1902 positions

game-history-38055-3-O.png

Spring 03 positions

game-history-38055-4-O.png

AH was eliminated by Russia in Fall 1902. Germany NMR's Fall 1902 much to France's delight. Turkey looking for aid and is boxed in.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Whelp. That's what I get for trying to be fancy my first game. Good luck, yall.

Hold that door. I'm right behind you.

Crikey, you two are making me feel rather guilty now!

Fall 03 Board

game-history-38055-5-O.png

Crikey, you two are making me feel rather guilty now!

So, this is the part where you give me back my supply centers and allow me to be an autonomous vassal, right?

Spring 04 Board

game-history-38055-6-O.png

Spring 1905

game-history-38055-8-O.png

Here's the board following the 1904 turn. Germany down to 1, Turkey eliminated. France and England both gain 1 while Italy and Russia sit at 10 centers each.

edited February 2012
    This game has been too quiet! Why is no one posting this time around?

Here is the board following Fall of 1905, builds to follow:
    game-history-38055-11-B.png

Endaro on
    Well, the game is fairly well decided at this point. It's either going to be a Russian or Italian victory. Kinda just waiting for it to play out.

edited February 2012
    Spring 1907

game-history-38055-12-O.png

Assuran on
    Fall 1908

game-history-38055-15-O.png

One thing about these 3 countries being in the lead, makes for a horrible color scheme.
    Looks like a 1970's living room!

After Fall 1909, final map
    game-history-38055-17-B.png

My take on this game:

I started this game talking to Austria-Hungary and asking him what he wanted to do about Trieste/Venice. I gave him 3 options and he agreed to try a Key Lepanto. Having never actually managed to convince an AH to that move, I readily agreed figuring at worst case, I gain Trieste and ally with Russia. I had talked with Russia and we had agreed to attack AH, and given I was making the Key Lepanto opening, it looked really believable during the opening turn. I never really had any intention of working with Turkey and was mainly holding him at arms length until I could move with either AH or Russia into him.

The problem with the Key was that AH went into the Adr sea instead of Alb, so I couldn't aid him into Greece. At this point, I figured my best bet was to hitch my horse with Russia, and we worked a nice 2 country alliance until AH and Turkey were eliminated. At some point, Russia made a half-hearted stab at me, and I took that to mean our alliance had run it's course. I told Russia everything was cool, but had already decided to eliminate him before he could kill me. Given Russia and I had just hit Germany hard that turn, it meant it was a two horse race between me and Russia.

At about that time, France was frantically fending off an E/G after an apparent stab by England (from what France told me). France flat out told me he just wanted to outlast England/Germany and didn't care if I used him to win. I mean, with that offer looking me in the face, I agreed to help him fend off E/G and went about trying to move my fleets around to relieve pressure.

Eventually, Russia didn't figure out he needed to work with England to stop us, so I slowly broke through in the South thanks to a timely Russian NMR (well, at least for me it was timely) while we finally managed to break England in the North.

After about Fall1907 it was mainly mop up, and it could have been quicker had I not screwed up a couple orders.

I would like to thank everyone for playing, and especially thank Endaro for all his work in this game. I considered offering a 2 way draw multiple times, but I know this thread had settled on Solo victories and I wanted to abide by thread rules. If this was a face to face game, I would have offered Endaro a share of the win, he definitely earned it.

If Russia hadn't just totally screwed me, we might have been able to win this.

Also I didn't count on France not being interested in winning at all. I'm happy that at least he didn't outlast me. 2 center England4lyfe!

Nice win, (as the hardest country to win with), IT!
    Any time there's an IT fleet in the Norwegian Sea, you know you're playing well.

Here's my game experience -

"Hi, AU!"
    Silence.
    "Hi, RU!"
    Stabby. Ouch.
    "Hi, IT!"
    Stabby. Ouch.

Sorry if that was too long to read.
    :cry:

• jakobaggerjakobagger LO THY DREAD EMPIRE CHAOS IS RESTORED Registered User regular
    Very impressive, Assuran. This has been fun to follow.

That was a fun game, sorry for the lack of activity at the end, I was off visiting friends.

I think my main mistake was the stab at Italy that just wasn't thought through at all!

Give me a PM if you need a player for another game.

A Glorious Victory! I'm really happy with how that turned out, thanks for the fun game everyone. Congratulations Assuran.

Some interesting turn of events in that game. Italy and I were focused on different things starting out, and I didn't get much of a response from either Germany or Austria I figured I could try the old French/English alliance. I felt bad for Turkey, who gave me many good pieces of advice throughout the game but was sadly too far away for me to be able to help him. Also, unfortunately, England turned out to be a traitorous fiend and within a year I had both England and Germany breathing down my neck! Personally I was a bit shocked that I was able to hold off both of them for so long, with their largely undivided attention, and not lose any supply centers in the process. After a few years I contacted Italy, hoping he would rather have an ally than compete for the scraps. Together we managed to turn things around and we ended up gobbling up the two nations which spent the game trying to eat me! I was a bit shocked England and Russia didn't try to ally together to stop us, but I don't know if it would have mattered in the end.

For my first game, I'm quite happy to walk away with 9 supply centers, 2nd place, and my ultimate goal achieved.

Not pushing it, cuz I'm trying to lower my # of active games, but ready for a rematch whenever, maybe even as TU again!

I suppose I could play another.

• spacemanseanspacemansean Registered User regular
    I want to try this game out in person. I suppose learning online is easier, though? Then I could teach people when the time comes.
    Assuran's talk about openings frightens me, though.

I want to try this game out in person. I suppose learning online is easier, though? Then I could teach people when the time comes.

Well, I've only played one and a half game, and I think I did alright in the one I finished. There are pretty extensive strategy resources online, especially on openings. Diplomacy archive and the Openings Library are some I found pretty useful.

Thanks everyone for the compliments.

Spaceman, the openings in this game are probably the most important part of the game (well, that and timing your stab right if you're going to do it). I would check out those sites jakobagger linked as they are good resources. In most cases you can tell what strategy a country will use by the end of the first year (in some cases the end of the first season). The opening turn is given the most amount of time during face to face games because it's so important.

I was going to sit out the next game if we had enough, since creating an ongoing community was my plan when I started this thread, but now I kinda feel like I should defend my crown, so to speak.

If there is enough interest, however, I'll sit out and watch what happens, and give my commentary as the game progresses from the peanut gallery.

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Heyo,

I am intrigued following the thread, but have no idea how the game is played. I have read the rules, but rules are hardly helpful beyond the mechanics of how to move pieces around. I would be interested in joining a game, when/if there is an opening.

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
    Oh, no! Smoove's on to us!
    Run!

Haven't played this in person in years, since a game with less than 7 players is not as good as a full table.