As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I don't want a pickle

IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirateAnd give me that bootyRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Social Entropy++
2012-Kawasaki_Ninja-650.jpg

Perhaps you like sport bikes?

harley-davidson-forty-eight-large17opt.jpg

Or maybe you prefer good ol' American iron?

Anyways I'm about to get my first motorcycle I'm probably going to get one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G4y7w-Obbw

But I'm also considering a Hyosung GT650R and the Yamaha FZ6R

I'm super excited! But I'm also taking my time to make sure it's right for me, I've set a goal to purchase sometime next month once I've arranged for my M1 license and get some time practicing on a friends bike.

Also obligatory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMbATaj7Il8

PS Blame @redfenix he told me I should make this thread

ipsesignew.jpg
Flickr - PSN ID - IamTetsuo - Steam
IpseDixit on

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I really want a bike

but I'm terrified of riding one.

I'm already scared enough of driving in a car and if you ride a bike you're 6 times more likely to be killed on the road.

• ThreadbareSockThreadbareSock Registered User regular
    I've arranged for my M1 license and get some time practicing on a friends bike.

Take a class. Do it.

Learning from friends increases the likelihood of an accident on a motorcycle considerably. Or maybe it just that professional courses reduce it. Either way. Don't be a squid.

Remember no one can see you. Even when people make eye contact with you, they will not see you. You are like an invisible porcelain deer on a motorcycle, not a badass charging bull.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular

Take a class. Do it.

Learning from friends increases the likelihood of an accident on a motorcycle considerably. Or maybe it just that professional courses reduce it. Either way. Don't be a squid.

For real. Every time I see a guy in a t-shirt on a bike, I wince.

sig.png
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    :o please say you wouldn't ride a bike over the Santa Cruz mountains :o

• Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    I am also considering a bike. I've been driving my car for recreation and that is kind of expensive, and even with fully adjustable dampening for my suspension, even the lightest setting feels like a bouncy race car. I want a bike and a comfy car.

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote:

Gonna ride it right up to your door

Gonna knock and then ride right on in

ipsesignew.jpg
  • Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    Also I'm between a Honda cbr600 and a yzf r6. The yzf feels more comfortable when I lay down on it but the cbr is more comfy at my legs/knees

• IpseDixitIpseDixit Treat me like a pirate And give me that bootyRegistered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:

Take a class. Do it.

I'm actually going to buy most of my gear ahead of time.

And I plan on taking an MSF course shortly after getting my M1

ipsesignew.jpg
    I thought taking the msf course was better before you got your license. You only need your permit to take it and you get to skip the DMV test

IpseDixit wrote:
    Janson wrote:

Gonna ride it right up to your door

Gonna knock and then ride right on in
    Well at the risk of sounding like a mother

Be careful! You are one of our best friends and I am always slightly terrified of motorbikes over those roads!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    when I was a kid my Dad used to take me on rides on the back of his motorcycle

I was terrified

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    when I was a kid my Dad used to take me on rides on the back of his motorcycle

I was terrified

I loved going on them when I was a kid

Then when I was a teenager it was like "Come on dad, just take the car. This is embarrassing"

I thought taking the msf course was better before you got your license. You only need your permit to take it and you get to skip the DMV test

OK yeah I should be more clear here I mean my M1 permit

ipsesignew.jpg
    Also I'm between a Honda cbr600 and a yzf r6. The yzf feels more comfortable when I lay down on it but the cbr is more comfy at my legs/knees

CBR looks better, especially in the Red White and Blue color scheme

ipsesignew.jpg
    old war motorcycles are usually pretty rad

kXO9Ql.jpg

cafe racers arouse me:

mhUlfl.jpg

vTMr9.jpg

Bikes are pretty sexy, though

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    fuckyespickles.tumblr.com

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Hyosung = terrible. They're cheap for a reason, and that reason is they're made from pig iron and cardboard.

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Bikes are pretty sexy, though

A girl on a bike will always make my heart skip a beat.

IpseDixit wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:

Take a class. Do it.

In some states, California at least, you can take an MSF course and be awarded the license at the end of it. You don't even need to own a bike, just a helmet.

But do take as many as you can. MSF has gone down in quality from what I've heard, but its still helpful. The more you take the lower your chance of having an accident. The statistics are pretty clear on that.

IpseDixit wrote:
    Tossrock wrote:

Take a class. Do it.

In some states, California at least, you can take an MSF course and be awarded the license at the end of it. You don't even need to own a bike, just a helmet.

But do take as many as you can. MSF has gone down in quality from what I've heard, but its still helpful. The more you take the lower your chance of having an accident. The statistics are pretty clear on that.

I didn't know this! And I am in California!

OK going to go see when the next MSF course is around here

ipsesignew.jpg
    http://www.ca-msp.org/
    Upon successful completion of the Basic RiderCourse students will receive a DMV DL389 certificate that may waive the riding skills test requirement at the DMV. If you haven't completed the written DMV test you must pass it prior to receiving your license endorsement.

• CalliusCallius Registered User regular
    I have a motorcycle endorsement, but I've never been able to get a bike.

When I finally was in a position to get one money wise... well... Zonky.

tonksigblack.png
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    if i had the money for a bike, i would probably be one of those idiots riding without proper gear, 'cause wind in my haaaaaaaair. if i didn't get myself killed, my brother-in-law the former motorcycle instructor would probably do it for me. motorcycles are pretty nifty, in any case.

lfchwLd.jpg
    Anyone reading dis who wants to learn about motorcycles but doesn't know where to start, I suggest dis book:

qgHMt.jpg

Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well.

The gentleman who wrote it did pretty much all the work in collecting and explaining the behaviors that eventually became the heart of MSF safety courses. The book goes over a lot of things, like what behaviors will statistically make you more likely to be involved in an accident, to the physics of how motorcycles stay erect (and why counter-steering is necessary), to common scenarios you'll encounter and how to deal with them as best you can.

• PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Callius wrote:
    I have a motorcycle endorsement, but I've never been able to get a bike.

When I finally was in a position to get one money wise... well... Zonky.

still on my xbl friends list :(

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    woeyy.jpg
    8->

• nateknatek unh unh Registered User regular
    what does any of this have to do with pickles?

I love pickles

• stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    Tossrock wrote:

Take a class. Do it.

I think the best (worst) is when I see someone wearing a protective jacket, no helmet, jorts and thongs (flip flops).

pooka wrote:
    if i had the money for a bike, i would probably be one of those idiots riding without proper gear, 'cause wind in my haaaaaaaair. if i didn't get myself killed, my brother-in-law the former motorcycle instructor would probably do it for me. motorcycles are pretty nifty, in any case.

I'm lucky in that I think all of the safety stuff is awesome

AllianceSpeedMetalGreenFront_detail.jpg

Want dat helmet

ipsesignew.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I thought that was corn on the side of that helmet

Moriveth wrote:
    I thought that was corn on the side of that helmet

No motorcycle rides for you

ipsesignew.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Look man I'm tired and the green things around those wheels look like cornhusks

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    I could totally go for a pickle right now.

I could go for some corn on the cob

• Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
    fuck, now I wanna walk over to a burger joint and get a burger with pickles and then make some popcorn...

• LabelLabel Registered User regular
    My god i would love to ride a bike. Some nice smallish thing like the black one in the first post, or the green honda further down. No way though, i've had too many times driving in a car that I haven't seen a bike and almost killed someone. I would be so dead.

Some time maybe i'll find my way out to some salt flats or dry lakebed or something with a bike, and just ride for a while.

IpseDixit wrote:
    AllianceSpeedMetalGreenFront_detail.jpg

Want dat helmet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHj1_4NPKgU

I can't deny my appreciation for the look of this helmet, but the chin guard is removable, so it offers much less protection. Something like 40-50% of helmet damage is to the face/chin area. phfuh