As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Favorite Web based comics?

13»

• Options
    Endless_SerpentsEndless_Serpents Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Munch wrote: »
    I didn't really like the end of Anders <3 Maria.
    It felt too neat and tidy. Though, I feel that way about pretty much any story that culminates with key protagonists dying at the very end.
    I would have preferred it if it had a few more chapters after the end, Maria's brother seemed boiling with anger that went unresolved. Anders had yet to really change his ways in my eyes. Stuff like that. The time-skip at the end felt abrupt after such a day to day style plot. I still think its worth the read though.

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    GreyHunter316GreyHunter316 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just found this comic about things heard at the comic shop the creator works at, I am frightened by the fact that I've encountered many of these people or their New York state equivalents.
    http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/

GreyHunter316 on
  • Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Thanks to you guys I spent a few hour reading Anders loves Maria.... There is some good stuff there.

Disco11 on
    PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Just found this comic about things heard at the comic shop the creator works at, I am frightened by the fact that I've encountered many of these people or their New York state equivalents.
    http://ourvaluedcustomers.blogspot.com/

This guy is clearly projecting his own insecurities and denials onto his favorite comic character
    ovc%23223.jpg

Lux on
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Has anyone made a Spidey joke about the title yet?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Turambar wrote: »
    Has anyone made a Spidey joke about the title yet?

Sadly yes my friend. Aren't you glad you're not That Guy. :mrgreen:

Endless_Serpents on
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I stumbled onto the Dresden Codak today. 5 hours just disappeared.

It's gorgeous. The art was crude in the first few pages, though still very good, but soon became beautiful beyond words. And the story is among the most imaginative I've ever read.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I can't believe it, but I've somehow forgotten to mention A Lesson is Learned, But The Damage is Irreversible.

It is the best free comic series ever posted on the internet. I am serious.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was never a fan of Anders loves Maria but that penultimate comic, dang
    "Maria never woke up"

Also also,
    Tina commits suicide. Man, it's amazing how fast ALM went from moderately cute dom-com to soul crushingly bleak tragedy. Though maybe things will be better for Maria Junior?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    So, Power Nap is pretty fucking awesome. In a nutshell, it's about a guy who works for a massive corporation, in a world where everyone takes pills that remove their need to sleep. Unfortunately, he's allergic to said pills, which has -- complications.

Like dragons.

Bj7MV.jpg

In other webcomic news;

Dr. McNinja's in the middle of a time-travel epic. Lumberjacks and ninjas v.s. dinosaurs!

Gastrophobia just returned from a long hiatus, and currently has Phobia dealing with her son's abduction at the hands of Care Bears.

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things is still hilarious.

Unsounded is one of the best fantasy comics on the internet. Gorgeous art, and a pretty good story. A little grim at times, but there's a lot of great humor too.

Alpha Flag is really interesting. Basically, it's about a guy who's somehow externalized a bunch of aspects of himself. Terrific art too, especially in the coloring.

Next Town Over just got creepy. Zombie steampunk horse, people. S'all I'm saying.

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Yeah Power Nap is the newest awesome find for sure. Super slick art, and the facial expressions on the characters are damn near perfect damn near all of the time.

Alpha Flag and Next Town Over are two favorites. (I actually have some fan art popping up in the print version of Next Town Over #3!)

Emily Carroll did another really amazing piece of webcomicing. Seriously she is just all and all awesome. It's been posted whole lots in the SE side of town, but I figure its worth another post. Arguably NSFW for non-sexual nudity.

title.jpg

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    GankGank Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    I'd just recently caught up on months of Dr. McNinja myself and I'm loving the latest arc. Seriously, King Radical is in my "Top50 Villains" list now.

Alpha Flag is fucking great, but damn it for not having more done! PowerNap better have a decent archive gosh darn it, I've got working hours to kill here.

Edit: Damn it!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Lots of neat stuff in webcomics, lately.

Dr. McNinja has returned from the grave, to combat his nemesis, Dr. McLuchador. Meanwhile, King Radical is having trouble of his own.

This arc has really been firing on all cylinders, so if you've ever wanted to jump into McNinja, now's the time.

Gunnerkrigg Court saw Annie visiting a classroom of fairies, leading to a great three-page gag.

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things has shown what happens when a fan-art disease sweeps the office, turning all the tough guys into thin, willowy versions of themselves.

Gastrophobia is kicking off its next arc. This comic's always been great, but the last storyline was a really high point. So, I'm curious to see where McGuire goes with it from here. Additionally, he's funding his new book through Kickstarter, and is about 50% there. So, if you like the comic, maybe throw some money his way.

Friends With Boys seems to be nearing its run, after which it'll be pulled from the internet, and the physical book will go on sale. So, if you want to check out this teen slice of life comic (with ghosts) by Faith Erin Hicks, do so now. It's good enough that I pre-ordered a copy a few weeks ago.

The Adventures of Superhero Girl, also by Hicks, is a pretty great gag comic, with some loose continuity holding everything together. It's got that kind of slacker superhero vibe that I really responded to as a kid, and still enjoy now.

Munch on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    People should read Bad Machinery

It's a comic about a bunch of kids growing up in Yorkshire and it is both hilarious, touching and accurate (I have been a kid growing up in Yorkshire so I know these things).

The art is kind of abstrct, but a lot of fun. You guys should definitely check it out.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    re: manly guys doing manly things

it's actually not a fan art disease...it's worse

the american version of nier (bad game, as far as i know) had a manly protagonist who was saving his daughter

the japanese version of nier has a different character model that's young and effeminate saving his sister

(i like thepunchlineismachismo)

Antimatter on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Also Manly Guys doing Manly Things is a good webcomic

People should take Munch's advice and read it

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I used to really be into Achewood, but lately the creator seems fixated on doing long bouts of non-sequiter weirdness that takes forever to get to the next part of said weirdness. I can tell he's putting a lot of work into it, but...it would be easier to take if he could produce it on an understandable timetable. Or get back to the sort of character interactions that made most people like the strip in the first place.

Then there's Maakies, which is kind of revolting, but I really enjoy it when it updates.

I also like Gunshow Comics quite a bit these days.

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Read Delilah Dirk and Unsounded, everyone

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I really enjoy Romantically Apocalyptic. It started off as a goofy thing with amazing art that updated once every few months, and now it is heading in a different direction.