As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Far Cry 3=Far Cry 1+2?

• bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    ummm.....holy crap guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=J6gnOVJsCsM

wish in-game looked that good 0.o either way super stoked to play this

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Yeah I am linking where this is going. Loving the main villain so far.

steam_sig.png
  • Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Wow. Pre-rendered CG aside, that's a damn good trailer.

• RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    Ugh, is making trailers with dubstep/dubstep like music becoming a thing?

I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    I haven't been here for a while but nobody in SE++ is talking about this so hey! I'm glad you guys seem to mostly like it! :)

sig.gif
  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Raslin wrote:

One can only dream

rRootagea on
  • FireflashFireflash Montreal, QCRegistered User regular
    No because most dubstep is generic wooblebass crap with a bunch of distortion. Tolerable dubstep is few and far between.

PSN: PatParadize
    Battle.net: Fireflash#1425
    Steam Friend code: 45386507
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah I am linking where this is going. Loving the main villain so far.

Yeah, he looks like a pure psychopath. The kind of villian you love to hate, and anticipate your final confrontation.

Hopefully it doesn't turn out to be a lame fight.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Hopefully this one will have a gameworld where everything wasn't trying to kill you. If i'm working for one faction there's no reason for them to be trying to murder me every time we hit a checkpoint. Which was every minute.

Really, Far Cry 2 felt like a game they stopped developing about 90 percent of the way. Almost like a S.T.A.L.K.E.R that lacked depth, really, but had some really nice gems (Lighting half of an enemy base on fire then charging in as they panicked was great.) within the vast depths of crap. Then they never stopped to actually put it through their bug testing division. The FoV thing was fucking atrocious, and required basically altering the core game files to fix.

Archonex on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Raslin wrote:

I'm loading the trailer right now, and as someone who does not like Dubstep at all, this comment worries and sickens me.

But that's how marketing works. Whatever music is biggest in the social scene gets used. Remember when Bioware was on its Nu Metal hard-on?

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Sigh. I was looking forward to this until I saw the trailer; Farcry 1 was fun with some major flaws and Farcry 2 had some great ideas shackled to fatal flaws. I figured, put the the good stuff together and make a pretty great game.

Now I see we get to play as a frat bro lost in the woods. Set un-hype to 300%. Honestly, who the hell thinks a bro would make a good main character? I had some hope for about five seconds when I thought they might make the chick the main character, but nope, bro time. Ugh.

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Okay, trailer watched. Music aside, it had a pretty great style about it. To be honest though, the E3 trailer from last year kicks the shit out of this one.

Also, a problem I have with this one is that the animation on the people - well, mostly the big bad guy - doesn't match the tone or volume of what he's saying. When he screams at the guy to 'pull the trigger' it's like... a very subdued animation. But yeah.

Edit - Watching it a second time, I'm noticing some details I didn't catch; the lens of the camera is kinda dirtied up, and the voice of the person holding the camera at any given time is appropriately distorted.

Henroid on
    Sigh. I was looking forward to this until I saw the trailer; Farcry 1 was fun with some major flaws and Farcry 2 had some great ideas shackled to fatal flaws. I figured, put the the good stuff together and make a pretty great game.

Now I see we get to play as a frat bro lost in the woods. Set un-hype to 300%. Honestly, who the hell thinks a bro would make a good main character? I had some hope for about five seconds when I thought they might make the chick the main character, but nope, bro time. Ugh.

Well, the guy is less 'bro' than his friend was. "I'm on a boat!" bro deserves to get killed. <_<

• KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    I just hope they don't have that always online through uplay crap with the PC version.

Also, they should call it Far Cry 3: Cry Farther.

I don't think Ubisoft has plans to abandon the always-on DRM, which is unfortunate.

I actually still need to play the first two games. I'm mostly interested in the second one, because of all the shit I've heard about it (thanks Idle Thumbs).

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Retired guy who operates a boat out in the middle of nowhere is still a million times better than a random, clueless bro. It takes a stupendous amount of moron to land on an unknown island, get amazed by an AK47 being sold somewhere, and then not immediately think it's a really fucking stupid idea to treat the place like a Florida beach during Spring Break. "Is it real?" Seriously? That's the question you ask while taping your brain-damaged friend? Not "hey, if they're selling AK47s from a wooden stall, may we should try not to be stereotypical loud, annoying American college students so we don't end up in a shallow grave"?

Personally, I hope we find out that those were just the intro guys that get killed off and it segues into meeting the actual main character.

5 bucks says the main story is that guy just trying to find the chick.

Ninja Snarl P on
    Retired guy who operates a boat out in the middle of nowhere is still a million times better than a random, clueless bro. It takes a stupendous amount of moron to land on an unknown island, get amazed by an AK47 being sold somewhere, and then not immediately think it's a really fucking stupid idea to treat the place like a Florida beach during Spring Break. "Is it real?" Seriously? That's the question you ask while taping your brain-damaged friend? Not "hey, if they're selling AK47s from a wooden stall, may we should try not to be stereotypical loud, annoying American college students so we don't end up in a shallow grave"?

Personally, I hope we find out that those were just the intro guys that get killed off and it segues into meeting the actual main character.

5 bucks says the main story is that guy just trying to find the chick.

Probably trying to find the chick, then a way off the island. I think you're being more hard on the guy that you appear to play in the game. I mean yeah he has some college-bro'ness to him, but if you pay attention, he's subtly less idiotic than his friend. Though, the idea that he knows how to throw knives at people perfectly and kill them... that's a bit of a stretch. <_<

• SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Heh.

sig.gif
    edited February 2012
    Oh I think you know as well as I do that, what the main story far cry 3 tells is how one man managed to systematically depopulate an entire island's inhabitants without a word or remorse, unless there happens to be pre-rendered cutscene time.

while on wub wub.

rRootagea on
  • XagarXagar Registered User regular
    Is that what the kids are calling it these days?

There's going to be "wub wub" mods for this fucking game and it's gonna make me rip my hair out.

edited February 2012
    if playerObject.isFiringWeapon: playSound.WubWubWubWub

rRootagea on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    That's just one of the bad guys, there are three islands, each with their own faction from what I recall.

And yes, this lead character is terrible. I'm gonna spend many hours getting him killed in various different ways.

rRootagea wrote:
    if playerObject.isFiringWeapon: playSound.WubWubWubWub

Didn't the combat music in Far Cry 2 start just by virtue of you firing your weapon, even if there's nothing around?

Nope, I'm sure I'd remember that.

• RemingtonRemington Registered User regular
    I've never really understood what people meant when they said they had a "guilty pleasure." I'd always just say "whatever man, if you like it don't feel guilty!"

Then I heard dubstep and now I understand.

edited February 2012
    Saw this on the Idle Thumbs forum just now:
    Before the E3 trailer hit the game was going one direction, then the managing staff was removed and they went in a slightly different direction.

I'm not sure if this was ever reported because it happened before the game was unveiled.

The main character was an ex army doctor on vacation that would crack wise ala Nolan North Nathan Drake looking to get back his girlfriend on a crazy chain of Islands ala Lost.

Still similar, but you can see a shift in these trailers.

Henroid on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Having difficulty imagining a way that trailer could have made me less hyped about this game. Movies like Blair Witch and Cloverfield have conditioned us to expect awful things to happen to protagonists of "this is their footage" stories, but when you're rooting for them to die horribly 40 seconds in, there may be a problem.

I do not believe that young Mr. Trevor Kyle Brockmeister of fraternity Beta Rho Omicron at Chico State would be capable of surviving on a jungle island controlled by heavily-armed rival criminal gangs and warring militia factions; and I furthermore have no interest in helping him do so by accepting him as my alter ego and the vessel for my not-inconsiderable man-shootin' skills for the duration of the game's unquestionably gripping narrative arc.

Gaslight on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    His name is Jason Brody.

Jason Brody.

So bad. That trailer definitely deflated my sails for this game a little. I guess I will have to wait and see more gameplay.

• HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Learning so far that people have issues with guys who look like everyday modern guys in video games. Can't remember but was there a backlash for Nathan Drake when he first came on the scene? What about Gordon Freeman or Kyle Katarn?

Guessing the games main character would appeal more to some of you if he was a 30 something hulk of a man and a ex-special forces?

I have seen "bro culture" and the 3 protagonists in the trailer come off to me as no more than 3 everyday young tourist folk.

steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Learning so far that people have issues with guys who look like everyday modern guys in video games. Can't remember but was there a backlash for Nathan Drake when he first came on the scene? What about Gordon Freeman or Kyle Katarn?

Guessing the games main character would appeal more to some of you if he was a 30 something hulk of a man and a ex-special forces?

I have seen "bro culture" and the 3 protagonists in the trailer come off to me as no more than 3 everyday young tourist folk.

Well, y'know. Nerds are hostile to "bros" and if something is close to it, the fur stands on their back and they hiss with claws stretched out. But I'm with you; I mean, I guess there is some bro-ness to the guys in the trailer, but not enough to actually be like, wearing sunglasses indoors and shit. We're seeing people who are in a relaxed environment, not an office space or whatever other job they may hold where they will show personality-restraint like most everyone does in real life. They're cutting loose, whatever. And the guy who ends up running away in the trailer REALLY FUCKING CHANGES HIS TONE when he realizes he's in some shit.

Edit - Let me put it like this - if during events of the game, when the guy is fighting for his life, he starts to act like / sound like Pauly Shore, fine, yes, he is a 'bro.'

Henroid on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Erm...what exactly is "wubwub"?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Erm...what exactly is "wubwub"?

Exactly.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I had to check urban dictionary. It should have been more obvious given the discussion on dubstep.

But yeah, dubstep. really don't understand it, but whatever.

I did think the trailer was quite good and got me interested in the game; when I never had any interest in the first two games. I'm not exactly sure why dude is trained to kill but I guess maybe that's going to be explained? Hopefully by something better than "learned it from video games"?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular

It's not that he is a normal dude, it's that he seems like a pretty dumb and annoyingly naive normal dude. And if you've seen the gameplay trailer, it doesn't gel at all that a normal guy would be so good with guns and weapons and hunting dudes alive, unless he has a really terrible secret origin as a circus performer or something. Basically the story feels like it will be really poorly tacked on to a game that is all about varied precision combat, and I am not ready to suspend my disbelief that much.

Gordon Freeman was a physicist. Kyle Katarn was a space bad-ass. Nathan Drake is a professional adventurer. Jason Brody is a really annoying tourist who chose to do a kegstand and some shots on the wrong island. There is no way for me to care about or relate to him at all when his own stupidity gets him into this whole thing.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012

I dunno mang, if I go to some exotic tropical island and I see an AK-47 sitting on some dude's table, my first instinct would not be to pick it up, pull the charging handle, and mug for the camera at how awesome I am. And then call the guy a dick when he tells me to piss off. Just sayin'.

Zxerol on
    I'm pretty sure people gave Naughty Dog stick for the whole 'every man' thing they said About Nathan Drake. I mean dude climbs like spiderman and shots like... Shooty man. I know I found that annoying somewhat.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    wtf

i would much rather play as a hardcore bro making bro puns than any normal male protagonist

only better thing would be a female protagonist

obF2Wuw.png
  • UltimanecatUltimanecat Registered User regular
    A commenter on RPS noted how the game has an experience system (I forgot, but yeah, you get XP for pew pewing), so it could make a bit of sense that after escaping by freak accident, your character appears more and more skilled within the narrative as it progresses as well. Or, you know, he could be ex-military (although this is not typically how that type of character is portrayed in these sorts of things).

Still, as it stands the apparent plot they're going for here leaves me pretty underwhelmed. I'm of the general opinion that any movie like this that starts off by giving the ugly Americans vibe instantly gets filed in the "twenty minutes with jerks" trope - which is normally at least sort of acceptable because everybody dies anyway. I don't want to live in a world where we glorify a bunch of backpackers going to war-torn regions in search of extreme tourism and then having to shoot their way out when things understandably go tits up.

SteamID : same as my PA forum name