As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Invincible

• muninnmuninn Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    [spoiler:420aa3ba95] There is no way a person could have survived having such an ammount of blood splattered all over an assilant and surrounding environment, and survive.
    I figured it would happen, since he was such an asshole... it was bound to happen. [/spoiler:420aa3ba95]

muninn on
  • hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    [spoiler:e4b5471822]Plus, wasn't the deformed Angstrom the only one with the dimension powers?[/spoiler:e4b5471822]

Also, I don't want to hear anybody talking smack about Cory Walker. That guy is number one artist all-star 2006. I bought the Spiderman Romance Comic just for his art.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    OK, perfect example of what I mean right here:

http://www.imagecomics.com/iconline.php?title=invincible_001&page=9

I mean, what the F, does she have battle scars or something?

If she's actually meant to have battle scars then I retract that statement.

Just throughout though, I'm not fond of the art style.

Ryan Ottley takes over for Corey Walker after a few issues. You can see samples of his work here. I actually dig both their styles, but I can see why some people might not like the little pointless hatch marks Walker likes puts on the faces of his characters.

Munch on
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited July 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    Regarding Angstrom (in #33):

[spoiler:140e95462c]In the newest issue, Invincible sorta pounds the guy's head into oblivion, until he's standing there covered in Levy's blood, all freaked out because uh, he totally just killed a dude. Of course, we know that there's a whole bunch of Angstroms so maybe we'll see some of the other one's? The one with the deformed head though, yeah, he's totally dead.[/spoiler:140e95462c]

Oh hell, 33 is out already?

Knob on
  • DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    This is so gay.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Daric wrote:
    This is so gay.

nuh uh

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Munch wrote:

Ryan Ottley takes over for Corey Walker after a few issues. You can see samples of his work here. I actually dig both their styles, but I can see why some people might not like the little pointless hatch marks Walker likes puts on the faces of his characters.

Muuuuuuuuch better. Alright, in that case I need to start picking this up and I'll just have to grit my teeth and bear the assault on my eyes through the first seven issues.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Mister LongbaughMister Longbaugh Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I want to get this but I have no money

Mister Longbaugh on
    edited July 2006

You can always read the first issue online at Image's website to see how you like it. It's a nice way to gauge if you need to sell your blood to buy the first few trades or not.

Munch on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited July 2006
    I'd just like to say that Crabtree is one of the funniest guys I've met in the comic industry. He was at the Image booth selling the Invincible trades and hardcovers. Upon asking for a copy of vol. 4 he asked if I'd like him to sign it. Of course, I said yes. Then he asked if I'd like him to draw a doodle. Why the fuck not!? Turns out that he was only offering to draw in the book because then Ottley felt obliged to do a doodle as well. Good times. I managed to get Kirkman and Walker to sign it as well.

[edit] Oh, and you know how William hates being called Bill or Will or anything like that? Yeah, that's totally Kirkman. Don't every call him Bob.

Grifter on
    edited July 2006
    Munch wrote:

You can always read the first issue online at Image's website to see how you like it. It's a nice way to gauge if you need to sell your blood to buy the first few trades or not.

So uh

Where can I sell some blood?

Mister Longbaugh on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    My shop said Hardcover 2 is Thursday!

yaaaaaaaaaayy.

robosagogo on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Wait...theres a new hardcover comming out?

Swweeet. I just finished the first one a few days ago.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2006
    Last week I saw a seller on eBay with the Ultimate Collection Vol 2 for $17. I ordered it (I thought it was already out), and then my boss said it wasn't out yet. I e-mailed the guy, and he said Image sent him copies early and he was sending it to me the next day.

So today, the day it's out in stores, I get it in the mail for half the MSRP. How wicked is that? So wicked. I'm gonna see if my shop has the volume 6 trade when I go today, I doubt they will, though. All they seem to have is Volume 3.

Garlic Bread on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    So I bought the first volume of Invincible because Half-Price Books had it for... er, half-price.

At the risk of starting a riot in here, I don't really see what's so great about it. It's like a mish-mash of every superhero cliche ever.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2006
    So I bought the first volume of Invincible because Half-Price Books had it for... er, half-price.

At the risk of starting a riot in here, I don't really see what's so great about it. It's like a mish-mash of every superhero cliche ever.
    Stay with it. The third trade is where things get awesome.

Although the first two trades are still more fun than you'll find in any of the big two's superhero books lately.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited July 2006
    hughtron wrote:

Although the first two trades are still more fun than you'll find in any of the big two's superhero books lately.
    I don't read much in superhero comics in general.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2006

If by first volume you mean the first trade, I can sort of understand that reaction, as not a whole lot happens in the first few issues. But the first hardcover, which includes trades 1-3, pretty much sets up the series and establishes why it's so cool. So if you got the hardcover and still don't like it it's probably just not for you, but if you just bought the first trade, I'd encourage you to risk the twelve dollars and buy the second one, or just go read it at a bookstore/library and see if you think it's something you'd like.

I think a lot of the series' charm comes from how it plays with the conventions of the superhero genre, typically starting off in a very generic place so you think you know where it's going, only to veer off into something you wouldn't expect.

Munch on
    edited July 2006
    hughtron wrote:

I don't read much in superhero comics in general.
    Fair enough. I seem to recall you enjoying Ultimate Spiderman though, and Invincible often mines similar territory in terms of 'teen superhero dealing with powers and relationships and such'. Your mileage may vary though.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
    edited July 2006
    Sorry, yes, I meant the trade.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited July 2006
    Man, Target, you hate everything.

Garlic Bread on
  • CrayonCrayon Sleeps in the wrong bed. TejasRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Well if you don't like it, that usually just means you aren't cool enough to like it. See, we like it...and you should too.

Anywho, I could kind of see why it would turn off a few folks if they had only read the first trade and gave up...but it really hits its own niche pretty soon if you keep reading.

Crayon on
    edited July 2006
    On another note, I love that the wiki on Invincible gives away what I would assume to be a major plot spoiler within the first paragraph with no warning. Thanks a lot, Wikipedia.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited July 2006
    On another note, I love that the wiki on Invincible gives away what I would assume to be a major plot spoiler within the first paragraph with no warning. Thanks a lot, Wikipedia.
    Oh dude, that sucks. Man. That sucks.

Geeze. That bums me out.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • DakDak Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Edit that shit out of there.

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Maaaannnn. I bought the second hardcover, and it brings up all kinds of things without resolving any of them.

That's not to say that I didn't enjoy it.

Also, it's weird how the book gets all hyper-violent out of nowhere. Poor Allen the Alien.

Do we see more of the kid with the robot chest after high school?

robosagogo on
    edited July 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    Maaaannnn. I bought the second hardcover, and it brings up all kinds of things without resolving any of them.

It's setting up for the future. I didn't enjoy the second volume as much as the first, but it was still kick awesome.

Garlic Bread on
  • Ownage JonesOwnage Jones Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Just read the first issue. SOLD. :)

Also, The Ride was interesting too.

Ownage Jones on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Currently playing: Infamous, Resident Evil 5
    Need to play: Shadow Complex, Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank: ACIT, MW2, Alpha Protocol
  • ParisInFlamesParisInFlames Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Now that I'm all caught up to issue 33, I have to ask. What kind of time in between issues are we typically looking at here? On a scale of monthly to Ultimates where does Invincible lie?

ParisInFlames on
    UnderwaterUmbrellaGirlwider.jpg
    Steam id: skoot LoL id: skoot
    edited July 2006
    Now that I'm all caught up to issue 33, I have to ask. What kind of time in between issues are we typically looking at here? On a scale of monthly to Ultimates where does Invincible lie?
    apart from the last couple of months, it's been very reliable. Monthly, or close enough to it.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • HarrierHarrier The Star Spangled Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Okay, I read the first issue online last night. I think I'm hooked.

How much of this series has been collected into volumes so far?

Harrier on
    I don't wanna kill anybody. I don't like bullies. I don't care where they're from.
    edited July 2006
    Harrier wrote:
    Okay, I read the first issue online last night. I think I'm hooked.

How much of this series has been collected into volumes so far?

There's currently six trades out with a seventh due in September.

Munch on
    edited July 2006
    The first 3 are in the Invincible Ultimate Collection Hardcover Volume 1, and the fourth and fifth are in Volume 2.

get them

Garlic Bread on
  • Cosmic SombreroCosmic Sombrero Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Also, The Ride was interesting too.

I would really, really recommend not getting the ride.

Cosmic Sombrero on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    I went to my shop today expecting to pick up Ultimate Collection Vol. 2. They were sold out. So instead I bought Trade volumes 4,5,and 6. Also issues 31-33. Dammit Kirkman/Ottley, how can this be so good?!

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2006
    you should have gotten the second hard cover instead of the two trades.

Yeah, it would have involved waiting, but it's better.

Garlic Bread on
  • JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I talk about how good this is all the fuck time.

It is about time you all started to believe me.

(I'm getting the first hardcover for a few of bridesmaids, hahaha)

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    yeah, i just got the second hardcover

it's rad

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Jordyn wrote:
    I talk about how good this is all the fuck time.

It is about time you all started to believe me.

(I'm getting the first hardcover for a few of bridesmaids, hahaha)

You're, uh, not still looking for more bridesmaids, are you?

Because I don't have a problem wearing a dress. Really, it's cool.

I think engaging in cheesy sitcom antics is more than worth it to get that. :P

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
    edited July 2006
    I placed an order yesterday at the local comic shop for the 1st hardcover

So hopefully I have the 35 bucks by next wednesday

Mister Longbaugh on