As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Tribes] Ascend. - Updating OP, steamgroup listed for coordinating matches together!

• Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    Do you have to unlock perks once or for each class?

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Nope, just once per perk. Then you can use em on whatever class which is nice.

• CrewMember169CrewMember169 Registered User regular
    "I don't give a shit how it was done in previous TRIBES games"

"You continue to be wrong"

"Your proposed solutions are, however, terrible"

It's pointless to try to have a discussion with an asshole who thinks his ideas are better simply because they are his ideas. I'm out.

• Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    Raider isn't really my thing but spinfusor + eagle pistol is exactly the cheapass advantage I was looking for.

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    I think they need to remove the flag from TDM. One assclown running in circles as a light ruins what should be team deathmatch and turns it into chase the asshole or lose. I mean, that's what rabbit mode is for.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    dispatch.o wrote:
    I think they need to remove the flag from TDM. One assclown running in circles as a light ruins what should be team deathmatch and turns it into chase the asshole or lose. I mean, that's what rabbit mode is for.

Yeah, that's probably a good idea.

• MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Garthor wrote:
    Here, let me restate my argument: Yes, this game has some issues. No, solutions from previous games do not automatically work in the new game. No, those solutions, taken on their own merits, are not good ideas.

They don't automatically work, no. But it's safe to say, that in a Tribes game, certain elements of previous Tribes games wouldn't necessarily fail miserably. Even if porting them 100% over no tweaking whatsoever leads to horrible headaches.

To use an example from another series which is vaguely analogic: Power Managment in Starfleet Command 2 vs Starfleet Command 3.

In Starfleet Command 2 you were constantly short on power, and keeping it managed such that you A : kept moving, B : kept the right shield facings fortified, C : kept throwing ordinance at the other guy, and maybe D : Fucked around with ECM/ECCM took an insane amount of effort. Now, all of this was happening while you and your warp core was being battered down into uselessness (which reduced the amount of power available to you!) Oh, on top of that you ALSO had to position your ship properly etc. You had to cut corners somewhere. It wasn't helped by the very unintuitive UI, which in some cases actively fought against you.

So Taldren, in Starfleet Command 3, said, easily justifiably: "Fuck that. Everything's simplified, from mechanics to interface. Dumping power into various systems using these sliders gives em bonuses."

It didn't work out so well.

Damaging ships was meaningless, a ship at 100% hull was as dangerous as one at 1%, since doing damage didn't reduce the ability of that ship to return fire or otherwise be a threat. Further, subsystem damage was reduced significantly (even though they added subsystem targeting), such that I am able to count, on one hand, the number of times I destroyed, or had destroyed on my vessel, more than two systems/weapons before the entire thing exploded.

As it turns out, the most cantankerous, annoying part of the game gave it a fairly sizable chunk of its strategic depth. This may or may not hold true for Tribes, but it's worth thinking about, instead of reflexively dismissing something because "This is a different game!"

MechMantis on
  • nonoffensivenonoffensive Registered User regular
    Has anyone else been watching any tribes streams? I had some questions about the depth in the game, but the matches between teams are pretty fun to watch. The generator might not be important enough, but when a match takes 15 minutes delaying the other team's ability to get their shrikes out for 1 or 2 minutes can give your team's flag runner the advantage they need. They manage to chase flag runners just fine, even without vehicles. Watching one guy run from 2 or 3 chasers is pretty intense, they have to stay low to hide from snipers, and you've usually got to have 1 or 2 teammates waiting to relay the flag as it gets punted across the map.

Matches are much smaller in scale than previous Tribes games, but it makes the game more approachable and requires skilled teams to have a high level of coordination. Its not the massive sandbox atmosphere I remember, but I find it just as entertaining.

edited February 2012
    Shrikes seem like purely "lol I'm dicking around in an airplane". The most useful thing I've seen them do it ram people in mid air coming towards the flag. I've seen lots of people complain how difficult it is to catch a flag carrier. It does seem that if one hits the flag at the right speed it's pretty much impossible to catch up unless you were already going that way. Good luck hitting a max speed pathfinder with a sniper rifle though. Twice.

SniperGuy on
  • BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    See, I don't see the problems people are talking about.

You don't chase a flag carrier, you intercept them.

Shrikes kill flag carriers by shooting them all the damn time.

There is no reason a flag carrier should get away untagged. I always get a spinfusor hit on the guy if I'm guarding, and then usually a sniper comes in to finish him off.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    Shrikes are fantastic for chasing flag carriers, they're also excellent speed boosts, get to max speed and bail you can hit the flag at 300+ m/s or whatever the speed is measured in.
    In a shrike you can just circle around your flagbase, wait for a flag pickup and kill the flag thief before they hit midfield.
    Also don't catch up, intercept.

^5 Ginger.

• LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    Vehicles are the JarJar binks of Tribes.

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    You are a bad person for saying that.

Vehicles are fucking amazing in D&D, Siege, and oh wait this game doesn't have any modes I like.

Edith Upwards on
    I've not seen anyone effectively pull off the shrike thing but I'll take your word for it. On intercepting though, who is supposed to intercept exactly? The people on offense? The ones on defense are supposed to do what, twiddle their thumbs till the flag comes back? The thunder bomber was awesome. So was the scout. Everything else I am entirely meh on. The tanks are neat, but seem pretty useless in Ascend, just because they're giant slow easy to destroy targets.

Also, air strikes are dumb.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    I have no idea what you people are talking about. Beowulfs are the best thing you can have for flag defense. Just aim at the flag stand and blast any poor bastard trying to dive in.

makosig.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    Wait, how were vehicles "fucking amazing" on maps that took place 99% indoors?

OtakuD00D wrote:
    I have no idea what you people are talking about. Beowulfs are the best thing you can have for flag defense. Just aim at the flag stand and blast any poor bastard trying to dive in.
    You might get a few people with that but your tank isn't going to live long.

ALT POST: I'm sure those vehicles were amazing for the two people who ever actually played those game modes.

RE: SniperGuy's time-traveling post
    Tanks are cheap as shit to buy. If it blows up, you just grab a new one. And hey, you need the generator for that! Hooray, another use for the generator!

SniperGuy wrote:
    I've not seen anyone effectively pull off the shrike thing but I'll take your word for it. On intercepting though, who is supposed to intercept exactly? The people on offense? The ones on defense are supposed to do what, twiddle their thumbs till the flag comes back?

The people on defense go after him. There's no reason to stay at the flag if it is not there.

If you allow the flag carrier to go in the straight line between your base and their base, you have screwed up somewhere. The guy grabbing the flag should always be forced to come laterally or at an oblique angle. You know he's going to his own flagstand. You have more than enough time to either 1) intercept him between where he is and the flagstand, which I do all the time 2) take the enemy flag before he gets there, buying enough time for 1) to occur.

• Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    Defense sticks around and perhaps twiddles their thumbs(unlikely) for a while, because should your flag get returned you want someone there to stop it immediately being taken again. Yes some of your Offense, likely pathfinders, should be intercepting their flag carrier, while the rest might attempt an e-grab and/or try to catch them on the cap.
    Because your flag is gone does not stop people going for your gen or base turrets or radar or deployables or just plain trying to kill people at your base.

Beowulf's are awesome, unless you're sitting at one end of the map, out of Saber Launcher range, using it as artillery then I hate you. If you can pay the slightest attention and actively attempt to dodge incoming fire you can last quite some time, hell i've driven around in circles and survived, and when it finally is too badly damaged to continue, you should have enough credits for at least another 1 perhaps even 2 or 3.

The games I've seen, you've got people at set up at positions around the map, like basketball or something. They are normally at the top of a hill, ready to build speed as soon as they need to. As the flag leaves the stand, the appropriate guards move to intercept. As the game progresses 1 or 2 of them grab a shrike and patrol. Flag carriers that hug the ground can be hit with the shrike's guns, if they leave the ground the shrike runs them down in mid air. Its rare that a single carrier can make it back to base by themselves. Automatic weapons are constantly chipping at their health and sometimes they don't even have time to pass off to a teammate.

I'm not saying you can just grab a shrike and shut down an entire match by yourself, but I've definitely seen people use shrikes this way even in a pub. I definitely wouldn't call it "dicking around in an airplane"

Of course, the recent patch kind of fucked over Shrikes, so you don't see it now.

I don't understand why making a workable air vehicle is apparently so difficult in the Unreal engine.

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Garthor wrote:
    RE: SniperGuy's time-traveling post
    Tanks are cheap as shit to buy. If it blows up, you just grab a new one. And hey, you need the generator for that! Hooray, another use for the generator!

Oh hey look my perk brings them down to 2100 points. I can easily rack that up killing would-be grabbers.

Beowulf's are awesome, unless you're sitting at one end of the map, out of Saber Launcher range, using it as artillery then I hate you.

(VGH)

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    I played one match the other day with some excellent Pathfinder Flag Defence. It was really incredible seeing people knock flags out of each other's hands. The game went 10 minutes until a flag that was grabbed was actually capped.

camo_sig2.png
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Garthor wrote:
    Wait, how were vehicles "fucking amazing" on maps that took place 99% indoors?

Most of the D&D maps I played were big outdoorsy things wit short towers that were entirely incapable of shielding you from bombs, but whatever.

You are 100% correct about Siege, I confused that with flaglock.

Edith Upwards on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well I got the Tribes beta through the FB thing.

It is just awesome. It took me a while to get used to skiing and such again, but I had a blast all evening (completely forgot to eat dinner). Speed, jetpacks, satisfying kills, those edge-of-your-seat moments. Yes, yes this is a game I will be playing a lot, I think.

There are a few issues, which have been discussed, but I will keep my fingers crossed. In the mean time, the game is still mad fun.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • neil5280neil5280 Registered User regular
    I was online tonight. I only saw cannoncore online, joined his game, tried chatting to him a couple times, but he was oblivious. I even got a capture each game to try to get his attention, but no luck.

Anyway, I have now added everyone who put their area as NA - West into both steam and tribes, so I'm looking for you. Also, Dale03 or whatever, your Tribes name is wrong in the spreadsheet. I could not add you. I made a note in the sheet for others.

Night all. See you tomorrow?

• neil5280neil5280 Registered User regular
    Also, can someone invite me to the Steam PA group? Thanks.

• GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Reading over the PA Tribes players list is depressing. No, EU, all NA. Low-5, lone Australian dude. :(

• WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    Glal wrote:
    Reading over the PA Tribes players list is depressing. No, EU, all NA. Low-5, lone Australian dude. :(

Japan here, I'll be more than happy to be in the 300 ping bracket with you :D

WraithXt1.png
    Holy crap, someone needs to tell reddit that tribes uses the metric system

Actually, nobody needs to interact with reddit in any fashion.

Ever.

Rabble rabble a subset of users of a certain website upset me! Rabble rabble rabble.

So, the missile launcher that the doombringer (I think) gets. Useful? Or terrible? I seem to get a few kills with it and when people hear the lockon noise they seem to plummet towards the ground as quickly as possible, but it seems like a spinfusor soldier would cause a lot more havoc.

SniperGuy wrote:
    So, the missile launcher that the doombringer (I think) gets. Useful? Or terrible? I seem to get a few kills with it and when people hear the lockon noise they seem to plummet towards the ground as quickly as possible, but it seems like a spinfusor soldier would cause a lot more havoc.

I vote terrible, its kind of an effective deterrent for vehicles and lights getting massive air, but the missiles aren't very scary. Most of the time when I launch a missile, its just a distraction so I can kill them with the chaingun. I'd love to have an alternate weapon to select from. Keeping people on the ground is a good job for the sentinel.

• VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    I like the missile launcher, I generally get 1-2 flag defends with it, sometimes from what feels like miles away. Also deters the enemy from ever getting vehicles at all, since you'll easily kill them.

I mostly get my shield in place, then go up above to shoot rockets until I see someone go for the generator and then defend it. Lets you stay close to your defenses but affect more of the game.

Vechloran.png
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    SniperGuy wrote:

Terrible, I'm going to cap the flag or get inside before your missile catches me. Shrikes can just run away. And pretty much anything will kill tanks way faster.

Ellthiteren on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    i absolutely love seeing the heavys who just sit around launching missiles at everything, as a light i can smg the frigging missile and laff at the heavy thinking he is doing something

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    Not a big fan of it (missile launcher). Loooong lock-on that's also kind of buggy it seems at the moment. Sometimes it locks on only when people are hitting their thrusters, sometimes it locks on when people are still gliding down, sometimes it just won't lock on at all. Even if you manage to get a missile off it's like shooting a beach ball out of the air since it travels at about .5 mph. Stick with the chaingun.

This discussion has been closed.