As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Transformers Movie Thread

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Rift wrote:
    So you want to be spoon-fed news?

you're a jackass

No, I just don't want to be chastised for missing something that was mentioned on Page 5 paragraph 3 or wherever the hell it is. We don't have a search engine* so give me a fucking break.

But you're right about me being a jackass. ;)

*that works worth a damn--edited for clarification
    I'm sorry we're wasting your precious time by making you read a measly 7 pages.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Proto wrote:
    Hacksaw wrote:
    It's 62 feet long. Megatron's tank is about that size, and I'm guessing Optimus Prime's semi truck is around that size as well. The power of the robots in the movie is probably going to be relative to their size.

The M1 Abrams is 32 feet long, Megatron is probably around that.

A semi is usually 50 feet with the trailer.

It may be a moot point though, I seem to recall Bay saying no large mass shifting (like Soundwave/Megatron). So they'll fudge it a bit for the jets maybe?
    Maybe he'll be a Joint Strike Fighter. I hear those things are relatively short (and they have VTOL capabilities).

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DraXXXenDraXXXen Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Rift wrote:
    how about instead you give me a recap of all the details every few pages. :p Don't have time? Guess who else doesn't.

The irony is the amount of time you have wasted posting replys to your original post is equal to the amount of time it would have taken to read the previous 6 pages.

please Transform into an alternate mode that isn't a jerk-bot.

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Originally Posted by Nelson (Bay site mod)
    Spoke to Bay this morning...

...as I said, he will post later on later regarding the designs (when I say later it could mean tonight or in a couple of days).

Among some of the stuff:

-They (Bay & Co.) are commited to maintaining total secrecy about this project until it hits the screen. We spoke of how there was no surprise factor to Peter Jackson's King Kong. You knew the whole movie ahead of time. There are some in the team who believe the audience's first peak of the robots in their normal mode should be when they sit down to watch the movie in the theater (in other words, no sneak peak of them in their normal mode in the trailers).

-The reasons why they went with a huge long nose truck for OP (BTW, regarding the flames, there is a context for them like Orci pointed out). Bay said they did test with flat noses (FN) for scale purposes, and the FN would only be about 20 to 25 feet tall, so they went with the biggest truck they could find: the Peterbilt. We're talking 40 to 50 foot tall robots here. The physics for these robots have to be real...aka no magically disappearing parts. Also, OP is going to have much more red than what was shown in the supposedly "leaked" photo.

-Regarding the designers... all I can say is he said they all had to be fans of the show in order to get their jobs.

-Regarding the Ludacris rumor...no, he does not have a part in TF.

Interesting. Found that posted on superherohype.com forums. I'll see if i can track down the original post on bay's site.
    Still think the flames are junt on the truck Prime scans to get his alt mode.[/b]

edit: Here is the link to the original post on bays official site
    http://www.shootfortheedit.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=761

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    There are some in the team who believe the audience's first peak of the robots in their normal mode should be when they sit down to watch the movie in the theater (in other words, no sneak peak of them in their normal mode in the trailers).

I actually love that idea. Then when we go to see the movie, everyone will be "Holy shit! It's fucking Megatron!". Can't wait.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:
    There are some in the team who believe the audience's first peak of the robots in their normal mode should be when they sit down to watch the movie in the theater (in other words, no sneak peak of them in their normal mode in the trailers).

I actually love that idea. Then when we go to see the movie, everyone will be "Holy shit! It's fucking Megatron!". Can't wait.

An idea that didn't help Godzilla any.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:

The idea doesn't work when it's the only thing the movie has going for it.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

IMO Godzilla had really neat teasers. I think the Transformers teaser was crap. So it stands to reason that so far Transformers has less going for it than Godzilla did. ;)

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    DeaconKnowledgeDeaconKnowledge Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    Dublo7 wrote:

IMO Godzilla had really neat teasers. I think the Transformers teaser was crap. So it stands to reason that so far Transformers has less going for it than Godzilla did. ;)

I think Godzilla had the most impressive teaser that i've ever seen. Doesn't say much for the outcome of the movie.

DeaconKnowledge on
    My NEW Wii code - 5227 1968 3982 4139. My Wii needs your Miis! Please give generously!
    Animal Crossing - 3566 5318 4585/2492 7891 0383 Deacon/Akisha in Crayon
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Wow the guys on that forum are hardcore fanboys fuckheads

I'll just be happy that Prime is a truck and he's voice by Peter Cullen. Also, his head has to be the same shape as well.

aquabat on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Peter Cullen is in? Fantastic.

I'm fanboy enough for that to be all I need.

Well I lie, but I don't know how they'd do Unicron...and Orson Wells is dead anyway...

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Well, he hasnt signed yet but hopefully Bay wont fuck it up. Im just saying thats all I need

aquabat on
  • Options
    Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Oh, right. Bit of a dyslexic moment there i'm afraid.

On a slightly disturbing note, I seem to remember Wheeljack as being my favorite, and I can't for the life of me remember why.

Can anyone help me on this? Was there something wicked he did?

edit: Sorry, sig fixed now, my bad.

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Lord Of The Pants, please remove all the pointless line breaks in your sig quotes. Your sig is longer than your posts. That's not good.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    On a slightly disturbing note, I seem to remember Wheeljack as being my favorite, and I can't for the life of me remember why.

Thats like with G.I. Joe. I remember Tunnel Rat being my favouorite but I have no idea why.

aquabat on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Starscream was always my favorite, because he was the only transformer I had. It always pissed me off the he was such an inept fuckwit in the show.

It still does. I'm hoping he'll be all hardcore in the movie, though its probably in vain.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Starscream was always my favorite, because he was the only transformer I had. It always pissed me off the he was such an inept fuckwit in the show.

It still does. I'm hoping he'll be all hardcore in the movie, though its probably in vain.

Starscream was never hardcore. He was always a coward, trying to take over the Decepticons, but never making a move unless he was 100% sure he would win. And when things went rough or wrong, he was always the first to apologise to Megatron and beg for mercy.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006

No, he was pretty hardcore in Armada, I thought. He wore the entire anti hero mantle pretty well, considering what a simp he was in the Generation 1 cartoons.

And to head it off at the pass: Armada had its faults, but Starscream's story arc wasn't one of them.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    He was hardcore when he was kicking the shit out my legos and micromachines.

Edit:
    he was pretty hardcore in Armada

I am foraging for clips of said bad assery. Perhaps my lifelong grudge may be put to rest.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    I'd just like to say that when Waspinator was possessed by Starscream, it was so incredibly bad ass.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    He was hardcore when he was kicking the shit out my legos and micromachines.

Edit:
    he was pretty hardcore in Armada

I am foraging for clips of said bad assery. Perhaps my lifelong grudge may be put to rest.

From Wikipedia:
    Like him, this incarnation of Starscream loathed his commander, Megatron, but not out of any desire to take command of the Decepticons - simply because of the sheer mistreatment and contempt Megatron heaped upon him.
    A short time later, Starscream was given ownership of the Star Saber as part of a scheme by Thrust to make him the patsy in his plan to steal the Requiem Blaster from the Autobots, which led to him being abandoned on the battlefield. Surviving to return to the Decepticon base, Starscream went on a rampage with the sword and disowned the Decepticons, siding up with the wary Autobots, not out of any desire to do good, but out of sheer hatred for Megatron. After a clash with Hot Shot and a trip to Mars with Jetfire, Starscream befriended the Autobots' human allies, particularly Alexis, and then gave the Autobots access to the Decepticon base, resulting in a raid that freed all the captive Mini-Cons.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    Starscream is mega-badass.

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    From Wikipedia:
    Starscream's redemptive glory

Ha! Take that all but forgetten playmates!

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006

[quote=DreamWave's More Than Meets The Eye #7]

WHEELJACK
    Primary Function: Mechanical Engineer

Weaknesses
    [Teletran-One Security Recording, Earth Date: 1986]

IRONHIDE: What in the heck--? Aw, not again--that blast came from Wheeljack's lab! C'mon!

RATCHET: Wheeljack! Are you--?

WHEELJACK: Ugh...nothin' to worry about, gang, just a little bug in my neutron detonator shell. Uh, Ratchet--can you pick that up? I think you're standing on my arm.

RATCHET: Sweet Primus![/quote]

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2006

Wheeljack was also my favorite growing up of the original autobots. Something about the fact that he made random inventions which more often then not would just blow up was appealing. Also he had the coolest face mask of them all.

Wheeljack.jpg

Also he recent Alternator toy was very swanky (I love it, though still need to order the stickers to make him look like the orginal color in the show)

wheeljack-head.jpg

DraXXXen on
    donutMachine.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Optimus Prime was always my favorite, although after the movie I was also quite fond of Rodimus Prime. I don't care what anyone says, his vehicle form was awesome. Interestingly enough, I've never liked the villains all that much, but I guess Starscream was kind of cool because he was a jet. Even as a kid I thought it was stupid for Megatron to turn into a gun. He already has a bigass gun on his arm! Oh great, so now Starscream can carry and aim for him. So it's safe to say what's supposed to be the most badass Decepticon is also the most useless. How the hell did he get to be leader?

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    DraXXXen wrote:

Wheeljack was also my favorite growing up of the original autobots. Something about the fact that he made random inventions which more often then not would just blow up was appealing. Also he had the coolest face mask of them all.

Wheeljack's car mode was a Lancia Stratos. That alone makes him badass.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    earthsgreatestpresident.jpg

How awesome would that be?

RidleySaria on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

The Decepticons would fly planes into our buildings. Then transform, and smash more buildings.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2006

The Decepticons would fly planes into our buildings. Then transform, and smash more buildings.
    This war is not about Energon!

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I love the episode where they drink nasty old energon cubes and get drunk and stumble around and can't transform properly.

Yar on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm going to try to find that episode where Decepticons ally with the nation of "Carbombia" and attack ships in exchange for oil.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Knuckle DraggerKnuckle Dragger Explosive Ovine Disposal Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    carbombia001.gif

Knuckle Dragger on
    Let not any one pacify his conscience by the delusion that he can do no harm if he takes no part, and forms no opinion.

- John Stuart Mill
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Haha holy shit that's racist.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Optimus Prime was always my favorite, although after the movie I was also quite fond of Rodimus Prime. I don't care what anyone says, his vehicle form was awesome. Interestingly enough, I've never liked the villains all that much, but I guess Starscream was kind of cool because he was a jet. Even as a kid I thought it was stupid for Megatron to turn into a gun. He already has a bigass gun on his arm! Oh great, so now Starscream can carry and aim for him. So it's safe to say what's supposed to be the most badass Decepticon is also the most useless. How the hell did he get to be leader?

Tactical ability is my guess. However, I have little(read: none) experience with the G1 cartoon, so he might've been a total idiot in it.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    yalborap wrote:

Tactical ability is my guess. However, I have little(read: none) experience with the G1 cartoon, so he might've been a total idiot in it.
    In robot form his gun was huge, a veritable bazooka. In gun form, it was still a huge blast, and meant he could be used as a weapon.

Which is better, a car that drives around, or a gun that can be used to shoot stuff?

Plus he was the most battle-minded of the bunch.

And he actually had the gun's scope on his arm in robot form, which just happened to shoot.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2006
    Megatron was always my favorite, because the toy was so bad-ass. It turned into a gun that looked like a real gun. And it had a scope and shoulder brace and a silencer.

I also liked that it was one of the more complicated Transformers, because it gave you a sense of pride when you learned how to transform it quickly.

I also really liked the Dinobots.

And if Bay fucks this up, I will convince him to join the PA forums, and then I will ban him.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Megatron was always my favorite, because the toy was so bad-ass. It turned into a gun that looked like a real gun. And it had a scope and shoulder brace and a silencer.

I also liked that it was one of the more complicated Transformers, because it gave you a sense of pride when you learned how to transform it quickly.

I also really liked the Dinobots.

And if Bay fucks this up, I will convince him to join the PA forums, and then I will ban him.

I read somewhere that the Dinobots were going to be involved somehow, to provide the plot elements to a second movie.

I hope they use the comic book version of Grimlock. He was just so much more fulfilling when he was a tactical genius who disagreed with Prime on just how to win the war against the Decepticons.

Plus fucking transforming dinosaurs!!!!

Edit: Had to change the faction name.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I hope they use the comic book version of Grimlock. He was just so much more fulfilling when he was a tactical genius who disagreed with Prime on just how to win the war against the Autobots.

I believe I've said it before, but the comic's Grimlock was pure awesome. By far my favourite Transformer.

i.r.t. How Megatron was leader of the Decepticons. For one thing, he created the Decepticons. Plus, he was pretty much the most powerful Transformer ever. He was made of very stern stuff, he could shrug off blows that would cripple or destroy weaker Transformers. He was freakishly strong; in hand-to-hand combat he could defeat all the Dinobots together without breaking the robot equivalent of a sweat. And his cannon could blow up a mountain. And finally, he had charisma. In one issue of the comics, Megatron found himself powerless and alone as other robots took over the Decepticons, and by the end he managed to once again become supreme leader of the Decepticons through sheer strength of character.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I have always been a fan of Grimlock. He is so great.

Does anyone remember the shuttle transformer? It was a shuttle and also had the moving platform that was also a transformer, they were a team sort of. I remember the toy platform being blue and I think it was called Sky Lynx but I am so not sure. I can't even remember if it was deceptecom or autobot.

I was origonally sceptical of a live action Transformers, and even derided a friend who kept bugging me to watch teh teaser. I am starting to get excited, because well I loved The Rock and The Island. But damn, Optimus has to be a red cab over or my childhood will be shot to pieces. Must go rent the Movie DVD now. My husband had tears the last time we watched it.

Mom2Kat on