As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SELECT * FROM posts WHERE tid = 'PA PROGRAMMING THREAD'

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Pft, tuning is for the DBA. If you don't want to give me full access to a DB, well fuck you optimize my shitty view full of joins.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, I've never been required to DB tune at any place I've worked. That's always been the territory of a DBA. At worst, I had to tweak a hint or two, or rebuild an index. As soon as you start talking about execution plans, and result caching, and b-tree balancing and crap, my eyes glaze over. Not my expertise.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Hell I assume the people who wrote the query analyzers know better than I do about tuning so I don't even use hints. I probably wouldn't know where to begin either.

Has absolutely no impact on my ability to understand concepts like pointers, so I guess potato-potahto.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    If I have to optimize a database everybody involved is fucked.

• Options
    Though I guess if I slapped "DB tuning experience, 2 years" in my resume I'd expect to be called on that like in Gilbert's examples.

So help you if you asked me that and I didn't list that though, I'd probably ask you what the hell does that have to do with my qualifications and flip the table when you get belligerent.

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    The takeaways here are don't fudge your resume and don't ask your developers to tune databases.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Thank god I don't deal with high performance databases where this would ever be an issue. 25~ read transactions per second at the absolute most.

bowen on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    The advantage to REST is that you are using standard HTTP verbs as your CRUD

This is literally the first statement about REST that I have actually understood.

"I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    GnomeTank wrote:

This is literally the first statement about REST that I have actually understood.

Hehe, really? REST is really a super simple concept...but yeah, I've seen a lot of documentation about it over complicate the issue. REST is basically the concept that you can access resources (URI's) using verbs (PUT, GET, DELETE, et al) that correspond directly to the operation you are attempting.

So, GET /account/1, in most RESTful systems, would map to "GET Account with ID 1". It starts to get more complicated when you start supporting multiple output formats (GET /account/1.xml, GET /account/1.json), but it's still relatively simple.

Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    The funniest thing about REST, to me, is that it's what finally forced browsers and web servers to support the entire HTTP verb list, rather than just the subset that basic web browsing normally uses.

• Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I was hoping that I was understanding that correctly, and it seems like I was.
    And, so, if you wanted to change the name of Account 1, you get the XML, change the value, and PUT it into /account/1.xml
    The wikipedia article on REST doesn't make any of that clear. It seems to talk about it in a very abstract manner.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    Yep, that's exactly right. If you wanted to delete account 1, you would do DELETE /account/1, if you wanted to see a list of accounts, you could do GET /account. You are pretty much right on track.

• Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    bowen wrote:
    Though I guess if I slapped "DB tuning experience, 2 years" in my resume I'd expect to be called on that like in Gilbert's examples.

So help you if you asked me that and I didn't list that though, I'd probably ask you what the hell does that have to do with my qualifications and flip the table when you get belligerent.

Oh absolutely, if you have no experience, we don't ask you that. We have full access to the database to do whatever we want. We start with what's the difference between an inner join and an outer join, what's bulk, if you to iterate through records what PLSQL features would you use (cursors), if they know materialized views - pros and cons,

Most recent example was 2+ years of sql experience and ask for a simple " SELECT count(*) FROM customers where country = 'Canada'" is basically the right answer and they forgot the FROM. If you use SQL for 2 years, you know you need a FROM keyword.

edit - I may be a little jaded because I've done 20ish interviews over the last week half/two and not a lot are what they say they are.

Gilbert0 on
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote:
    Thank god I don't deal with high performance databases where this would ever be an issue. 25~ read transactions per second at the absolute most.

PS - Our main billing app is 5 TB so performance is key to do 20,000 customers a day.

• Options
    Gilbert0 wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Oh absolutely, if you have no experience, we don't ask you that. We have full access to the database to do whatever we want. We start with what's the difference between an inner join and an outer join, what's bulk, if you to iterate through records what PLSQL features would you use (cursors), if they know materialized views - pros and cons,

Most recent example was 2+ years of sql experience and ask for a simple " SELECT count(*) FROM customers where country = 'Canada'" is basically the right answer and they forgot the FROM. If you use SQL for 2 years, you know you need a FROM keyword.

edit - I may be a little jaded because I've done 20ish interviews over the last week half/two and not a lot are what they say they are.

It's obviously frustrating to you, but I love those kind of guys...means when I go in for an interview, and actually know everything on my resume, at a pretty proficient level, I look good :P

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I'm not understanding jQuery. I'm thinking of just doing my databasery with just plain PHP and (my)SQL

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    what do jquery and databases have to do with each other

• Options
    Jimmy KingJimmy King Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I used to have to pretend I knew how to tune MySQL at my old job. I didn't do a terrible job of it, but mostly I read through a blog from a guy who used to be one of the top level InnoDB performance guys and just did what he said, did what tests he said to determine if I even needed to do stuff, etc. It did handle ~1000 qps without skipping a beat, though. I couldn't do any of it from memory if someone asked me to or even repeat what stuff I looked at at this point.

I just went back and read Gilbert0's post and that is the sort of stuff I did on a regular basis and knew wtf I was doing, though. Although if you asked me in an interview it's entirely likely I'd brainfart and sound like an incompetent liar.

Jimmy King on
  • Options
    Jasconius wrote:
    what do jquery and databases have to do with each other

Well, it is called jQuery...eh? eh?!

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    I have to worry about database performance daily at my job.

But I'm working on centralized eHealth systems and do a lot of query development. And I have a databases specialization marked on my degree... welp. :lol:

I just got access to a hospital's legacy system today that we're sorting out data conversion to the centralized system. Oh god, MUMPS.

And they can't give me read-only access and still have access to the query system so I'm a super user to production. D:

I am worried that I'll kill their system with a malformed query tomorrow or something.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    jackal wrote:
    I am boning up on ICD 10 for work, and I officially love it. While ICD-9 had specific code for bitten by rat, dog and unspecified, ICD 10 has a specific code for "Bitten by dolphin".

I just finished writing a HCPC reference tool

I'm waiting on ICD9/10 because there are so many goddamned ICD codes that the iPhone processor literally has no chance of handling them all in a reasonable speed.

We have a CPT and ICD search mechanism in one of the iPhone/iPad apps that I've created at work and it can definitely handle them if you do enough pre-processing, indices, etc. We have roughly 350,000 'friendly' descriptions for the ICDs that are all searched completely offline.

Keep in mind that the 350k is ICD9 only...I am not looking forward to ICD10.

• Options
    Woot427 wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    jackal wrote:
    I am boning up on ICD 10 for work, and I officially love it. While ICD-9 had specific code for bitten by rat, dog and unspecified, ICD 10 has a specific code for "Bitten by dolphin".

I'm waiting on ICD9/10 because there are so many goddamned ICD codes that the iPhone processor literally has no chance of handling them all in a reasonable speed.

We have a CPT and ICD search mechanism in one of the iPhone/iPad apps that I've created at work and it can definitely handle them if you do enough pre-processing, indices, etc. We have roughly 350,000 'friendly' descriptions for the ICDs that are all searched completely offline.

I've indexed the one searchable field I tested on, and I was getting 3-4 second search times. Passable, most certainly, but not exactly zippy by iPhone standards.

I'm not saying you can't have the whole code database on the iphone and make it work, but certainly you get into more of a query-result UI model rather than what I have with HCPC which basically executes searches per keystroke.

For comparisons sake, what backend are you using for CoreData?

I've noticed that CoreData pounds the shit out of SQLite during searches which is weird because I would have assumed it would try to keep the database in memory when the app is actually running.

• Options
    Woot427Woot427 Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote:
    Woot427 wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    jackal wrote:

I've indexed the one searchable field I tested on, and I was getting 3-4 second search times. Passable, most certainly, but not exactly zippy by iPhone standards.

I'm not saying you can't have the whole code database on the iphone and make it work, but certainly you get into more of a query-result UI model rather than what I have with HCPC which basically executes searches per keystroke.

I've noticed that CoreData pounds the shit out of SQLite during searches which is weird because I would have assumed it would try to keep the database in memory when the app is actually running.

I abandoned SQLite pretty quickly. We have a ton of offline data in addition to the ICDs/CPTs and my experience was that once it got over ~5MB of data it got painfully slow. We actually have a ton of JSON files packaged with the app that are grabbed and parsed when relevant, everything separated a way that makes sure no file is more than 500KB. My searches are currently < 1s.

There was a lot more initial work versus being able to just query, but it works for us.

• Options
    Sounds like you were just opening the SQLite db as a regular I/O stream, rather than memory mapping it. With large SQLite files, it helps to memory map the file and open it that way, speeds up working with large files considerably.

• Options
    Woot427 wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    Woot427 wrote:
    Jasconius wrote:
    jackal wrote:

I abandoned SQLite pretty quickly. We have a ton of offline data in addition to the ICDs/CPTs and my experience was that once it got over ~5MB of data it got painfully slow. We actually have a ton of JSON files packaged with the app that are grabbed and parsed when relevant, everything separated a way that makes sure no file is more than 500KB. My searches are currently < 1s.

There was a lot more initial work versus being able to just query, but it works for us.

See this is what I normally do

But this one time I decided to give CoreData a chance, and I was swiftly punished.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    GnomeTank wrote:
    GnomeTank wrote:

Hehe, really? REST is really a super simple concept...but yeah, I've seen a lot of documentation about it over complicate the issue.

And yet so many people fuck it up by basically doing RPC with URLs and claiming that that is REST.

It took me reading RESTful Web Service Cookbook (warning not actually a cookbook, actually a HOWTO on service design) to get RESTful design even though your description is REST in a nutshell and effectively all it is in its beautiful simplicity.

Also, this >Article< was really useful for getting my head around REST.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    I didn't want to make it sound like I had spent a great deal of time wrestling with it. I probably did a cursory wikipedia and google search and dropped it after a few wtf's. This seems like it is pretty clear cut, but as usual, the proper design is the hard part.

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I think I have some sort of mental block with regard to SQL, because it always takes me a moment to find this thread now.

• Options
    Gilbert0 wrote:
    bowen wrote:

I would be lying if I told you from time to time I didn't forget a FROM.

Or a semicolon (non-database code), or a closing quote.

• Options
    NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    RE REST: Isn't it really just using HTTP verbs the way they're supposed to be used? GET for retrieving data, DELETE for removing it, etc? Are there any frameworks that actually deal with PUT or DELETE? In my (limited) experience, frameworks like ASP.NET MVC and Symfony2 only recognize GET and POST.

---

Quick question about Ruby syntax. I've been reading the official documentation, but some of it is a bit confusing as it never shows a completed class entirely written. So, is something like the following correct?
    def Person
      attr_reader :name, :age

def initialization(name, age)
        @name = name
        @age = age
      end

def to_s
        "{#name}, {#age}"
      end
    end

• Options
    I think to make this thread more contemporary the title needs to be renamed to a Redis query

• Options
    seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I just finished updating my homepage in an effort to make myself marginally more attractive to employers. This involved editing a couple of html files in emacs, and about half way through it occurred to me that perhaps I should move forward a few decades in technology. Anyone want to recommend / provide a crash course in building a non-embarrassing web presence?

Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    RE REST: Isn't it really just using HTTP verbs the way they're supposed to be used? GET for retrieving data, DELETE for removing it, etc? Are there any frameworks that actually deal with PUT or DELETE?

Yeah, put/delete just give a complete crud. A lot of frameworks support them.

• Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote:
    bowen wrote:

Funny story: During my current job search, I have answered the bolded question so many times that my relatively non-technical wife can give a perfect answer.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    seabass wrote:
    I just finished updating my homepage in an effort to make myself marginally more attractive to employers. This involved editing a couple of html files in emacs, and about half way through it occurred to me that perhaps I should move forward a few decades in technology. Anyone want to recommend / provide a crash course in building a non-embarrassing web presence?

1. http://twitter.github.com/bootstrap/
    2. ????
    3. Done in 2 hours.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Man my database knowledge is lacking, the only thing I know about joins is I let the database assume what I want to do, unless I need nulls then I get specific with an outer join.

Man I am going to look like a fool if I'm called on what exactly "experience with T-SQL and SQL/PSM" means. As for cursors... I'd rather get a very specific view/select statement rather than iterate through a large database one record at a time.

How often do I need to iterate through a list hundreds long anyways?

I really should brush up on shit I forgot.

• Options
    everyone should use bootstrap it is the greatest

• Options
    iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    I hope I haven't asked this before, but...

Could someone point me toward a good resource on session-management in PHP/JS? I've got a straight PHP site right now, and I'm basically just relying on PHP to expire stuff in $_SESSION at a certain point in time, but it doesn't feel right at all. I keep thinking there must be a better way to invalidate a user's session, and to keep track of some of their data for said session. This isn't live yet or anything, so I've got plenty of time to do it (hopefully) the right way.

• Options
    You should look at cookies then, ITIE.

• Options
This discussion has been closed.