As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Avengers: AvX CHAMPIONS. "wedabes" declares Captain America.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    They tried that!

She had a solo series that was basically an espionage book

it sold terribly

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    On the plus side Spider-Woman seemed to spearhead the death of motion comics.

• Options
    Yeah Motion Comics were pretty godawful

well actually I think Black Panther was alright(strictly animation wise, the content of the show was garbage) but that is because they had an actual animation studio do the work and at that point why not just make a cartoon

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Blankzilla wrote:
    They tried that!

She had a solo series that was basically an espionage book

it sold terribly

Bendis isn't an espionage guy, he's a noir guy. Give her solo title to Brubaker with a great artist like Epting.

edit: Bendis was writing about 10 books while being Spider-Woman's writer wasn't he? That has to effect its quality.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I am just saying

they have tried your pitch for the character already and it didn't work

Bendis is the only writer who is really interested in her anyways and even he couldn't make it work

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    I am just saying

they have tried your pitch for the character already and it didn't work

That doesn't mean they should give up on her altogether.
    Bendis is the only writer who is really interested in her anyways and even he couldn't make it work

Bendis isn't the only talented writer Marvel has, merely the most politically powerful. Just because he failed doesn't mean others would.

• Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    More Marvel Zombies! It will never end! Ever! That's one of those series and concepts that sales showed don't sell anymore, no matter how wacky and zany Howard the Duck is (which makes me think of that bad Fear Itself mini).

At least Fred Van Lente's three mini-series were good.

I even heard good things about that Marvel Zombies Supreme.

I mean, it's clearly not the sales draw it once was, but I appreciated it being used as a showcase for characters that otherwise couldn't sell by themselves, like Machine Man, the supernatural team from MZ4, Jack of Hearts, and Howard the Duck.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Why isn't Machine Man an Avenger anyway??

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I thought this was only the 5th Zombies mini, then I look it up and it will be the eighth, not counting the Army of Darkness crossover. We've had enough of the zombie and Black Widow minis, if Marvel insists on cutting back minis and basing things around the core brands like Avengers and X-Men, the least they could do is offer minis that are something new or relatively original. Like a series called Agent of Chaos, where John Walker and Julia Carpenter move in together and he has to juggle being Raft warden and being a new stepdad while Julia is all cryptic about what she wants for dinner because she's Madame Web. The cover is Walker holding a prisoner list in one hand and a backpack in his metal one with a "what can I do?" expression like this. James Asmus writes, Juan Bobillo draws, 40,000 instant sales. It would be the spiritual successor to GLA and Damage Control.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    spookymuffinspookymuffin ( ° ʖ ° ) Puyallup WA Registered User regular

He really wouldn't fit in. They just need to bring Nextwave back and let him shine like a diamond again.

PSN: MegaSpooky // 3DS: 3797-6276-7138
    Wii U NNID: MegaSpooky
  • Options

He really wouldn't fit in. They just need to bring Nextwave back and let him shine like a diamond again.

Depends which Machine Man you're talking about. Nextwave version might not, the original should.

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote:
    Yeah Motion Comics were pretty godawful

well actually I think Black Panther was alright(strictly animation wise, the content of the show was garbage) but that is because they had an actual animation studio do the work and at that point why not just make a cartoon

Sadly I think the only motion comic I liked was a fan-made one, the voices were so-so, but otherwise, I always liked this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POXxmaJ_cV8

takes advantage of panel to panel, and the comic medium, instead of just badly animating pages like the official ones did.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I am popping in to say wooooooo to Hickman probably being the new Avengers writer and Age of Ultron not getting caught into the gobbledygook of AvX somehow.

Marvel is going to have a great summer, full of events that will probably be remembered for decades, top tier runs in a lot of its side books, and then just plain fun, solid arcs in the flagship titles.

And I am saying this as a DC guy!

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Is Age of Ultron going to be released as an OGN? Or will it take place in Avengers and New Avengers from September to December?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Is Age of Ultron going to be released as an OGN? Or will it take place in Avengers and New Avengers from September to December?

Ohhhhhhh man.

That is a good question. I'm still thinking it's going to be a limited series either late in the summer or in the fall, right at the end of AvX, in order to more closely capitalize on the movie.

I wonder how this is going to work out for them. Instead of throwing a bunch of low tier tie-in minis out like they've done for previous movies, they're instead
    -Launching 2 Avengers events (AvX & AoU)
    -Launching a new core Avengers title with Astonishing X-Men style light continuity and a AAA creative team
    -Doing at the least a soft relaunch for the main Avengers title coming out of AvX, with a new creative team on board.

That is much better than just releasing a dozen thor and cap minis and forcing a thor line event into an entire line event.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Didn't the solicit for the first A vs. X-men Avengers tie-in say it was the "final" Bendis story? That coupled with the fact that Hitch was reportedly drawing issues as early as last year makes me think it could be an OGN. Also I thought Age of Ultron isn't an "event' so much as a standard miniseries.

wirehead26 on
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Didn't the solicit for the first A vs. X-men Avengers tie-in say it was the "final" Bendis story? That coupled with the fact that Hitch was reportedly drawing issues as early as last year makes me think it could be an OGN. Also I thought Age of Ultron isn't an "event' so much as a standard miniseries.

It's the final story of Bendis on Avengers, the ongoing title, as well as New Avengers, the ongoing title.

But he will still be doing an arc or so of Avengers Assemble, and now it looks like he will be doing this mini that in all likelihood has been entirely finished since December or so and just waiting to go.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    So who's doing the art for Ultron?

Quire.jpg
  • Options

Bryan Hitch.

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote:

Bryan Hitch.
    See I'm not so sure anymore

dude is doing his Image series this Summer too, right?

There is no way in hell he can do two books.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote:
    wirehead26 wrote:

Bryan Hitch.

He's already in the process of drawing the whole thing. Hell he might be done by now.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    wirehead26 wrote:

Bryan Hitch.

The guy who did Ultimates 1 and 2?

I guess that's ok. I'm not a fan of his hyper-real style and it bugs me that he tends to have characters speak with their mouths closed but he's pretty clean and good at conveying action.

nightmarenny on
    Quire.jpg
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:
    wirehead26 wrote:

Bryan Hitch.

He's already in the process of drawing the whole thing. Hell he might be done by now.

He is. Bendis said they wouldn't solicit the series until Hitch was done with the art. Hitch says he turned in his final Marvel project in early January.

He's had probably a little over a year to do what is probably just a 4 or 5 issue series.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    that sounds like Marvel took into account giving that guy a long time to get that done. Is he just a slower artist or was he doing a lot of concurrent projects?

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    His art looks A LOT better when he has a lot of time to work on it.

I'm cautiously excited for Age of Ultron, but I'm really looking forward to the end of the Bendis-era for Marvel. I think he's done a great job, but I want to see what comes next.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    d'oh now I remember the name. he did the norman rockwell homage on the fantastic 4 cover right?

• Options
    d'oh now I remember the name. he did the norman rockwell homage on the fantastic 4 cover right?

Yeah, that was him. He was the artist for that run of Millar's Fantastic Four.

• Options
    UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Marvel why the fuck are you doing this. You were right - no piles of minis for AvX, just everything double-shipping for months and a pile of completely unrelated Avengers minis.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular

comicsssssssssssss

• Options
    What's Hulk Smash Avengers going to be? All 5 issues are coming out in the same month, which is awesome and what the Venom series is doing right now. Are they finally going to realize that Hulk isn't worth all be trouble?

• Options
    Union Jack is on that Spider-Man cover! I <3 Union Jack.

• Options
    What's Hulk Smash Avengers going to be? All 5 issues are coming out in the same month, which is awesome and what the Venom series is doing right now. Are they finally going to realize that Hulk isn't worth all be trouble?

It's just a bunch of self contained retellings of a bunch of famous hulk tales, like first meeting avengers, etc.

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • Options

Garth Ennis doing another Fury MAX series? Oh boy. Well to be fair I was comparing it to the last miniseries.

• Options

• Options
    Wow, they really are limiting the tie-ins for A vs. X-men. All 4 Avengers books, Vs., Legacy, Uncanny X-men, and WatX-men. I guess New Mutants and the main X-men book could still have some tie-in issues by June but still, kudos Marvel. Now why did you have to screw up Fear Itself so bad.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Nine Hulk specific issues! I think that beats the five or six Deadpool had at the height of his popularity a year or two back. Best cover? FF #18.

Way to spoil Age of Apocalypse solicit writer.

I really like Samnee's art, but I don't think he's a good choice for Daredevil. And I thought Casselli would be drawing ends of the Earth completely, as he's had lots of time off to get ready for it. And that goes to a bigger thing I'm wondering about Marvel now, it's like what DC is doing and just throwing out artists on books just to get them on the shelves, with no real pattern to what they're doing. Instead of maybe having two artists rotating arcs it's an artist here, an artists there, then that artist moves over to another Avengers book for no rhyme or reason (Guedes moving to Secret Avengers). Without too much extra effort they can plan ahead and have their cake and eat it too.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Man they weren't kidding about the double ships starting in May. Yeesh.

• Options
    Are they only double shipping in May?

• Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular

oh so apparently the black widow mini is actually set in the movie universe

...what?

huntresssig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.