As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[D&D 4E PbP] Carrion Crown OOC thread ("They're coming to get you, Cranea.")

• Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    Skarsol, Lanlaorn, Steelhawk --> I wants to read about your characters!

Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness

HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    For Your Consideration:

Xen'Kar T'Lassa, Drow Scorpion Wraith (Marauder Ranger)

axayuma-scorpion.jpg?w=640

Background et al.
    "He drew the shadows around him like a cloak, disappearing almost as soon as he’d struck, then striking again from somewhere else. By the time we got to them, the four sentries were dead on the ground, but though we searched for the drow, he had faded into the jungle, waiting..."
    - Excerpt from A Treatise on the Jungle Drow, by Professor Lorrimor*

Xen'Kar is the youngest son of the Matron mother of House T'Lassa. A drow clan that resides on the faraway jungle continent, across the seas. Worshippers of a Scorpion God, Vulkoor and somewhat primitive when compared to the high elves of the Ustalav, the T'Lassa Drow are nonetheless just as aloof, proud and ruthless as any of thier other Drow or Elf cousins. Thier mightiest warriors are known as the Scorpion Wraiths. Warriors who use darkness just as much as thier unique blades and boomarangs The elite even ritually scar patterns across thier bodies with giant scorpion venom as a sign of thier prowess. Xen'Kar still has a lot to learn, but his high birth has granted him access to the Wraiths before his time. Something the other Wraiths are not too pleased about.

Xen'Kar has no idea who this Professor Larrimor is, only that he once visited House T'Lassa for a time, working closely with his Matron Mother in studying the ways of the jungle and always writing in his books and asking questions. When word of his death reached Hous T'Lassa, the Matron Mother was uncharacterisitcally sadded for a time. She decreed (against the urgings of her advisors, no doubt) that an envoy should travel to Ravengro and attend the good professors funeral. Xen'Kar was tasked to make the journey and act as his mothers emmisary. Xen'Kar does not look forwards to such a journey, not caring about the human from across the seas a bit. But it would please his mother, keep a dagger out of his back, and allow him to see the wider world.

Xen'Kar is exotically handsome for an elf. Bald, with coal black skin, deep red eyes and shocking white designs etched into his skin. He wears beautifully worked scorpion chitin armor and carries the exotic weapons of his people on his belt, a pair of long knives and a three pronged boomerang. Xen'Kar is also quite adept at the use of poisons, but keeps that aspect well hidden from these strange people he has met while on his journey.

*The opening quote and character concept stolen shamelessley from the Scorpion Wraith prestige class from 3.5e Eberron book Secrets of Xen'Drik. I love Eberron Drow.

CB Summary
    ====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
    Xen'kar T'Lassa, level 1
    Drow, Ranger
    Build: Marauder Ranger
    Fighting Style: Marauder Fighting Style
    Ranger: Running Attack
    Background: Drow - Outcast (+2 to Dungeoneering)

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 10, Dex 13, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 8.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
    Str 18, Con 10, Dex 11, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 8.

AC: 15 Fort: 15 Reflex: 13 Will: 13
    HP: 22 Surges: 6 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
    Dungeoneering +10, Athletics +8, Nature +8, Stealth +7, Perception +8

UNTRAINED SKILLS
    Acrobatics, Arcana, Bluff -1, Diplomacy -1, Endurance -1, Heal +3, History, Insight +3, Intimidate +1, Religion, Streetwise -1, Thievery

FEATS
    Feat User Choice: Weapon Expertise (Heavy Blade)
    Level 1: Xen'drik Weapon Training

POWERS
    Lolthtouched: Cloud of Darkness
    Ranger at-will 1: Marauder's Rush
    Ranger at-will 1: Throw and Stab
    Ranger encounter 1: Hurling Charge
    Ranger daily 1: Scything Blow

ITEMS
    Adventurer's Kit, Hide Armor, Drow Long Knife (2), Xen'drik Boomerang, Greenblood Oil (heroic tier) (6), Nitharit Poison (heroic tier) (6), Poisoner's Kit
    RITUALS
    Raise Beast Companion
    ====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

I've never heard of the Carrion Crown before, but it sounds cool. And I can post often. I've played in a few games here on the boards and am currently playing in Aegis's Lair Assault game and Sakutians's Lair Assault-y Jabba's Palace game.

Steelhawk on
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Ghost puns The Banette of my existenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Less than a few hours left folks, and I see some very interesting and diverse subs here :D

Ain't gonna lie, sifting through them for the final 6 isn't going to be easy...

Edit: An updated list of subs so far...

Leaders:
    Kledge Black, Human Artificer (Bearrorrist) Post
    Valagard Marnasdóttir, Dwarven cleric (MMAgCh) Post

Controllers:
    Cranea Treesong, Hamadryad Witch (Wizard) (Witch_Hunter_84) Post

Melee Strikers:
    Airyc Smithsson, Half-Orc Bodyguard (Slayer) (DaMoonRulz) Post
    Xen'Kar T'Lassa, Drow Scorpion Wraith (Marauder Ranger) (Steelhawk) Post
    Saladar Zantiesh, Changeling Hexblade (Anialos) Post

Range Strikers:
    Darrius LeCroix, Human Ranger (Bow) (Smoove Operator) Post
    Winterbloom Hoarfrost, Pixie Thief (Crossbow) (skarsol) Post
    Kal Reed, Wild Magic Sorcerer (Faraz) Post

Defenders:
    Drellethenne Y'sthrennelle, Revenant Eladrin Fighter (Grog) Post
    Sohpia Gladewyne, Paladin of Erathis. (Vanir) Post

TiamatZ on
  • skarsolskarsol Registered User regular
    I've been wrestling over a couple different personalities for my submission but I think I've finally settled. Post should be updated in a couple hours.

why are you smelling it?
  • LanlaornLanlaorn Registered User regular
    Skarsol, Lanlaorn, Steelhawk --> I wants to read about your characters!

Sure, if you're interested I actually wrote up the text back on Tuesday and had it saved to drafts here, but a haphazard week conspired against me and while I thought I'd be able to do a last minute submission late tonight, I have since remembered that EST to GMT converts the other way and my slow character mechanics decision making isn't something I can do at work, lol.

I guess I'll try to finish up post deadline tonight but not exactly holding out hope since Witch Hunter's dryad witch is a neat character. Anyway spoiler text for the curious:
    Concept: Vistani heritage Human Wizard who wants to roam the planes the way the Vistani roam the planes, he's already seen the Shadowfell & Feywild and their influence is responsible for his schools of magic. Mechanically a Human Nethermancy/Enchantment Mage going into Planeshifter then Planeshaper

Background
    Leth Plainswalker is a Dead One. Not in any physical sense, that is, he's still a living, breathing human; but his father is a Vistani who decided to settle down in a city and become a merchant. Called "dead" by all their past relations among the Vistani and not quite trusted by their neighbors, Leth's childhood was somewhat isolated. He never really regretted his family's decision, city life suited him just fine, but as he grew he began to yearn for the horizon, the heritage of wanderlust pulsing in his veins. Packing a bag and taking his textbooks Leth bade farewell to a farther and mother who knew too well the siren song of the open road and settled out to see the world, traveling at first from city to city and enrolling for a time at each academy he encountered.

As his magical skill grew he dared to brave more exotic locales, traveling to the Shadowfell and Feywild. His experienced there only excited him further, changing his surname to Planeswalker, Leth vowed to one day see it all, or as much as possible anyway. On one of his longer stays in the Shadowfell, learning nethermancy from the shadow of an academy long lost to the material plane, Leth encountered Professor Lorrimor, exploring the corners of the Shadowfell himself. Feeling as kindred souls the two journeyed together, teacher and student, fellow explorers and scholars. Leth had neglected much of his formal studies beyond the Arcane Sciences, considering most far too dull to bother. Lorrimor opened his eyes; how was he planning to traverse the planes, the very homes of the gods, and know nothing of religion? While spelunking through a massive cave network he explained the vastness there was to explore under the earth as well. And so the two traveled until Lorrimor decided he needed to return home and pen another volume, it would be three times the usual length as it is, he'd already delayed it so often. He invited Leth to come study at his home and Leth promised that he would... in time. He just wanted to cross the rest of this continent off his list, and Lorrimor laughed as he nodded understanding.

The moment came flooding back to Leth as he stood, overwhelmed by regret, holding the posthumously sent letter from the Professor. The courier stood politely by, shivering despite his furs, as the two stood on the precipice of a mountain. Looking at the exact location and time details on the envelope, Leth could only shake his head in amazement. Wordlessly he folded and put away the letter, tipped the courier quite well for the extraordinary service performed and set his sights for Caliphas. Well, time to cross Ustalav off the list

Personality & Mannerisms
    Leth was largely withdrawn and introverted growing up, but has since then learned to be quite affable when engaged in conversation. However he never really learned to carouse or socialize, on his own he would mostly keep to himself and when traveling with the Professor, well, Lorrimor was the life of a party and you only had to allow yourself to be swept along in his wake. He doesn't see any knowledge as taboo and is generally curious, happy to learn anything taught to him. Although settling on a preference for nethermancy has made others somewhat wary of him, this is a position completely lost on one who sees the Shadowfell as just another mystery to experience. Having often been shown hospitality and kindness while traveling he is often charitable to a fault.

About myself:
    I've done a good amount of tabletop RPGing but I'm pretty new to PbP, started after being intrigued by the Exigency setting & system that Edcrab created and my only other PbP experience is his currently running CF game. I've played 4E in the flesh but they were short games and a proper campaign before 5E (or whatever they want to call it) comes out would be nice.

edited February 2012
    Post updated. I actually envisioned her as more melee than ranged, but was going for versatility. :)

skarsol on
    why are you smelling it?
    And submissions are...

CLOSED !

all new submissions will be ignored.

Check back tomorrow (or during this weekend, depending on how busy my weekend schedule is) for chosen submissions.

Good luck!

Oh, FWIW I'm not currently playing any other PBPs and I've not seen this module before.

why are you smelling it?
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Neat submissions all around! I can't wait to get this thing rolling.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    11 person party? It could work.

Welcome everyone to the one (and only)...

Carrion Crown Submission Awards

Seems we only have a few candidates here, but what they make up for quantity, they more than make it up in quality. Some really good subs here people, and i can tell you... it was torture having to sift through these awesome characters. There are some recognizable faces here and there, but other than that, the rest are completely new players and underdogs.

First off, I’d like to thank everyone for their submissions. All of them were awesome to read, but unfortunately, only 6 will make it to the game, so let’s get started…

Normally, I’d list 3 nominees from each respective role, but since some of them barely have even 2 players in their respective roles, I’ll set to announcing the winner in each role instead. I WILL however, post a list of nominees for the 6th spot, since there were 4 that I had to carefully decide upon, since they were the 4 that were just as good as the 5 chosen subs (both mechanically and thematically). As is the tradition, we'll go alphabetically, starting with Controller, Defender, Leader, Striker (Melee) and Striker (Range) rounding it off with the Personal choice.

Now without further ado, let's start with the Controllers.

Controller:
    Not much to say here, other than...
    Cranea Treesong, Hamadryad Witch (Wizard) by Witch_Hunter_84 Congrats!

(Also note the inherent irony in that sentence. I’ll let it sink in)

Defender:
    Was a very tough choice here, but since Vanir never posted a Character Sheet, the winner is...
    Drellethenne Y'sthrennelle, Revenant Eladrin Fighter by Grog Congrats!

Leader:
    Again, not much here to say, other than...
    Valagard Marnasdóttir, Dwarven cleric by MMAgCh Congrats!

Striker (Melee) Nominees:
    Some VERY good strikers here, so I ultimately decided to go on fluff here.
    Airyc Smithsson, Half-Orc Bodyguard (Slayer) by DaMoonRulz Congrats!

Striker (Range) Nominees:
    Just as above, some very good Range Strikers here to choose from. Ultimately, I went with...
    Darrius LeCroix, Human Ranger (Bow) by Smoove Operator Congrats!

Now that we have one for each specified role, the last position will be based on the DM’s preferences.

6th Party Member Nominees:
    These 4 nominees were what I (honestly) consider to be just as good as the previous 5 submissions seen above. As such, I find it only fair to post the nominees 1st, before choosing a final winner, if only to show you guys what a difficult choice it was for me...

1)Kal Reed, Wild Magic Sorcerer by Faraz: I liked the idea of a con artist turned (somewhat) humble after a chance meeting the Professor, not to mention Wild Sorcerers are fun to party with.

2) Xen'Kar T'Lassa, Drow Scorpion Wraith (Marauder Ranger) by Steelhawk: I liked the idea of a jungle born savage going out of his home to witness the horrors of Ustalav; a fish out of water story if you will.

3) Kledge Black, Human Artificer by Bearrorrist: Not only are Artificers cool, but I also found the idea of an Artificer making Industrial Aged (I.E. large, klunky and complex), arcane-driven machinery and doodads to be quite refreshing.

4) Saladar Zantiesh, Changeling Hexblade by Anialos: A travelling adventurer with a thirst for knowledge, adventure and artifacts, while at the same time being able to learn from others AND keep his own knowledge (AKA secrets) to himself. What’s not to like?

In the end though, only one would make it in, so let’s all welcome...
    Kledge Black, Human Artificer by Bearrorrist
    Congrats!

From this moment on, this thread will become our OOC thread. I suggest all players complete/finalize their character sheets, find any pictures for their characters (should the original one not be adequate enough), modify/tweak their characters for optimum party performance (like skills etc.), trim backgrounds and other stuff. I also require a short introduction/description of your character (a few sentences worth) from you all (PM it to me). Check out the opening thread of my Curse of the Crimson Throne or Council of Thieves IC threads, under the Cast section for any examples of what I’m looking for. If you want, you can also PM me a final picture/portrait of your character. Once you’ve agreed on your final picture, I will post a token of your character along with your written description.

And lastly, I require a Treasure List of items for your characters between Level 2 ----> Level 7 (So you’ll have a list with one Level 2 item, one level 3 item, one level 4 item etc.). Once again, PM me.

We'll start our IC thread sometime either tomorrow (19th) or on Monday (20th) the latest (depending on how busy I am this weekend, and how quickly the winners PM me their stuff).

Thank you and good night (or good day, depending on your timezone)!

• Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    All I can say to the irony of my character is we become that which we hunt! Congrats to my fellow acceptees, to those that didn't make it, there will be other games and with submissions like those you're sure to get in them.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • GrogGrog My sword is only steel in a useful shape.Registered User regular
    Hooray! Entry by default! PM on the way.

And man is it hard to find pictures of eladrin that aren't... feminine.

• SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    So close! Have fun everybody!

• AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Gratz everyone!

Aww, not even an honorable mention! :P Grats you guys, have fun. :)

why are you smelling it?
  • BearrorristBearrorrist Registered User regular
    Woohoo. Time to make something that blows up at the wrong time. If anyone finds a picture they think might work better, PM me with it. Also I believe I will redo my Daily, any comments?

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    And if anyone has suggestions for me, I'm open to them. The online character builder won't let me wear a spiked gauntlet and wield an execution axe at the same time. What say you, Tiamat, on the matter?

Edit: I'm watching Thor & Loki:Blood Brothers on Netflix right now, thus explaining the phrasing of the last sentence.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MMAgChMMAgCh remember tomorrow. Registered User regular
    Looks like this is going to be a thing. (PM sent.)

Seeing as how we'll have two leaders, I'm considering swapping out my encounter power, at least, for something more offensive-focused. (To be specific, to one of the Dragon 400 powers that lets the party make attack rolls against the target's lowest defence rather than whatever they normally target.) Thoughts?

edited February 2012
    MMAgCh wrote:
    Seeing as how we'll have two leaders, I'm considering swapping out my encounter power, at least, for something more offensive-focused. (To be specific, to one of the Dragon 400 powers that lets the party make attack rolls against the target's lowest defence rather than whatever they normally target.) Thoughts?

That sounds useful for a party with two fighters in it, especially since one of them's a slayer. That's one of the drawbacks of essentials martial classes, they'll only ever target AC.
    Also I believe I will redo my Daily, any comments?
    Interesting thing about Obedient Servant, it deals damage to "Any marked enemy" as opposed to 'marked by the servant', so it could lay out a fair amount of damage if kept near the tank.

Grog on
    If anyone sees anything that I could rearrange for the sake of the party let me know. Powers-wise, I don't think I have any options that "play nice with others", but I can certainly redo my skills. Right now my party-friendly skills are nature/perception/stealth.

Character Sheet

As an Essentials character I don't have much to choose from, but I'm open to advice on how best to optimize the big lunkhead.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

PM sent.

I swapped a feat around and dropped Heroic Effort for Magic Weapon as an extra at-will. Kledge

DaMoonRulz wrote:
    As an Essentials character I don't have much to choose from, but I'm open to advice on how best to optimize the big lunkhead.

Well you could squeeze out another +1 to hit if you had 20 str and 16 dex without sacrificing damage. Otherwise you're probably better suited with using Axe Expertise and a greataxe, gives you the same outcome as an execution axe, except you're also getting expertise bonus to hit.

That kind of fiddling won't have much bearing at low levels though.

I thought the execution axe had a higher proficiency than the greataxe, but I didn't check. I kept the dex up so that he could still throw things if he was immobilized or slowed at a point where he couldn't move then charge.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

That works too. And with an 18 dex you can go with hide armor for the mobility.

I guess I don't fully get how armor bonuses work.

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Light armour adds your dex/int bonus, so generally if you've got a dex/int of +4 or more it's better to use light armour.

Ahhh, ok. So why does scale armor end up that same as hide armor?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Scale is heavy, so you'd just get the straight +7 armor. Hide armor is light, so you'd get the +3 armor bonus and a +4 dex bonus.

oooOOOOOoooh *insert 'The More You Know' gif*

3basnids3lf9.jpg

OK! You guys sent me everything I needed. IC thread coming up soon...

IC thread is A-Go!

Welcome to Ustalav boys!

TiamatZ wrote:
    Edit 2: I’ll also add a Youtube song to represent what mood/theme is currently evoked in the scene. Tell me what you guys think in the OOC thread.

Is this what you were looking for?

I like the song. Reminded me of this scene.

edited February 2012
    I don't want to be the first one to post.

What are trust points?

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

your gold now DaMoon. LeCroix took the first awkward stab.

Many thanks, friend. Before we all get started do we want to establish whether anyone's heard of each other beforehand?

3basnids3lf9.jpg

I was going to go with: maybe LeCroix is acquainted with Airyc, from their backstories. and maybe LC knows OF Cranea, but obviously never went with Lorrimor to visit her.

Sounds good to me

3basnids3lf9.jpg