As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX Pokemon League 2012: Rivals!

• ShaderShader The Master Ranger Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    DanUNG wrote:
    Propriety wrote:
    A badge afro! Practical AND stylish?! :O

A new leader is up! And that leader is... ME?! :O Whaaaaaat?!

www.paxpokemonleague.net

Good. Hypno and I look forward to destroying you.

Intelligence v. Intelligence? I might wander over to see this one XD

Or, given the likelihood of me finding anything-ask about the results.

Shader on
  • ottoman673ottoman673 Registered User regular
    I need to get back to work on my pokemon team... But i am excited for this!

PAX East 2012 Checklist: [x] 3 Day Pass [x] Time off Work [x] Flight [x] Hotel
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    Shader wrote:
    DanUNG wrote:
    Propriety wrote:
    A badge afro! Practical AND stylish?! :O

A new leader is up! And that leader is... ME?! :O Whaaaaaat?!

www.paxpokemonleague.net

Good. Hypno and I look forward to destroying you.

Intelligence v. Intelligence? I might wander over to see this one XD

Or, given the likelihood of me finding anything-ask about the results.

My victory last year was by chance, really. I was being destroyed by Propriety's Pokemon, and my team of 6 dwindled to 1 while his team of 4 had gone down to 3.

And then, my Hypno came out. And with Hypnosis and a lot of luck, we came out on top. It was an epic and memorable match, and it might have made me a little cocky...

Hypno and I have been hard at work, though. We know we can't rely on luck or the same tactics, so we came up with some new ones. Brace yourself, Propriety.

• MorgansternMorganstern Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    DanUNG wrote:
    Hypno and I have been hard at work, though. We know we can't rely on luck or the same tactics, so we came up with some new ones. Brace yourself, Propriety.

Huh, you two kind of sound like... Rivals!

Morganstern on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    A LEADER HAS DECLARED US RIVALS?! :O

I HAVE A RIVAL. YESSSSS.

Now where is my Rival card....

That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    I became your Rival the minute you turned me down in that Portal 2 line. Your team will fall.

• cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    LMAO. Oh I love you people.

edited February 2012
    We interrupt this Rival heckling for official news:

A new leader is up, and it's another Rival! Read up on Dawn, the Contest Competitor of Sinnoh!

Propriety on
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    First Barry and now Dawn? <gasps> Find a Lucas cosplayer and we'll have all three of the Gen 4 trainers!

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There needs to be a Misty.

To represent the water mons

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited February 2012
    Riokenn wrote:

I know there's a certain Shuckle-user who cosplayed Misty last PAX East...

Volaro on
    edited February 2012
    Wagh, double post. Curses. Don't hurt me.

Volaro on
    Volaro wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:

I know there's a certain Shuckle-user who cosplayed Misty last PAX East...

That would be @Rainbowtunnel! Where is she, anyway? Probably busy putting together some amazing new cosplay....

... or training an invincible army of Shuckle.

edited February 2012
    ... or training an invincible army of Shuckle.

Oh good god! Everyone, get to zee choppah!

Also: a little teaser on http://paxpokemonleague.net/ ... who are these shadowy figures?! HMMmmmmm! Who could they be?!

Propriety on
    You guys need to fear the day I make a Stunfisk team. And then Rainbow and I will unite our armies and it will be awesome.

You'll be unstoppable as long as you got the heart.

Heart, you say? An army of Luvdisc then!

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    I gotta say you guys, the raw enthusiasm that the PPL exudes makes me wish I understood the game better (or, more precisely, cared to; the metagame beyond G/S/D is too much for me). It looks like a lot of fun :)

New leader is up on the website! And this guy is
    Nullzone wrote:
    I gotta say you guys, the raw enthusiasm that the PPL exudes makes me wish I understood the game better (or, more precisely, cared to; the metagame beyond G/S/D is too much for me). It looks like a lot of fun :)

Aww, shucks, thanks! I'm trying my best to get people in the Pokemon League spirit! But don't be scared off, you don't have to understand the metagame at all to challenge leaders! All you need is a copy of Black or White and a team of your favorite pokemon, and you can give it a try! We've got a lot of leaders who are training up teams that are focused on being fun, instead of being crazy strong, so you've got a good chance of earning yourself a few badges!

edited February 2012
    Nullzone wrote:

The very first year PPL was around, my friend used a team of Electric types she literally threw together the day of. And this was before the game bumped up levels to 50. She still managed a good number of badges.

It's a great experience! We want everyone to have fun and not stress about metagame. It's the memories from the battles and interaction with fellow pokefans that make it the experience it is.

You could say it's the heart of our mission!

(PS: Said friend went on to become a Normal type gym leader the next year and everyone came to fear the Skitty known as Sephiroth.)

cocowoushi on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Don't mind me if I start to jot down some notes during the battles.

I don't intend to do anything artistic or anything. :whistle:

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Yes!! Teh heart. We has it. I may just use my shuckle team again - there's no way I can get a real team together in time. @Propriety, I don't know how you balance this and school, I honestly don't. (Last time I checked you were in school, yes? Don't want to be wrong... or worse, a creeper)
    I will be bringing a humanized version of GLaDOS to the table this year! Not sure if I should do Misty again. I grew out my hair and don't want to buy a wig (already got one for GLaDOS), so.... I dunno. I won't be attending Sunday, either. But Thursday/Friday/Saturday will be hit up to the max! And, as usual, I will be most likely spending the biggest chunk of my time with you all. So ready for this to happen!

Looking forward to seeing you again! And gijinka GlaDOS? Awesome. GlaDOS using shuckles? Even more awesome.

• Tichinde925Tichinde925 Registered User regular
    Is there any point in leveling past 50?

IR battles force level 50.

Only to get the moves you want.

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    Not only do I not finish my teams on time, I now have other people breeding my team for me. I'm pretty awful at this.

Gameshark wrote:
    Not only do I not finish my teams on time, I now have other people breeding my team for me. I'm pretty awful at this.
    You make up for it with your charming personality.

I won't be attending Sunday, either.

There'd better be a good reason for this.

• LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    They announced a new leader on the PPL Website. Seems pretty legit.

Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
  • Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    Propriety wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:
    Would it be ok if Trainers were to ask Gym Leaders (Not the elite 4 peeps or the champ) for a good ol fashion 3v3? I know it's a lot of fun, but theres so much to do at PAX I wouldn't want to spend all my time playing the mons.

You can always ask! As Morganstern mentions, gym leaders set the rules for their gym... some might already be doing 3v3, or something EVEN CRAZIER! You never know!
    :sly smile: Hehehhehehe. HAHAHAHA!! :Kosshi gives an odd look and takes a few steps back: What?
    Yes!! Teh heart. We has it. I may just use my shuckle team again - there's no way I can get a real team together in time. @Propriety, I don't know how you balance this and school, I honestly don't. (Last time I checked you were in school, yes? Don't want to be wrong... or worse, a creeper)
    I will be bringing a humanized version of GLaDOS to the table this year! Not sure if I should do Misty again. I grew out my hair and don't want to buy a wig (already got one for GLaDOS), so.... I dunno. I won't be attending Sunday, either. But Thursday/Friday/Saturday will be hit up to the max! And, as usual, I will be most likely spending the biggest chunk of my time with you all. So ready for this to happen!
    GLaDOS-tan?!?!? If I glomp you, will I get sprayed with nuro-toxin? As for Misty, if your hair grew out, couldn't you cosplay her from Gen 2? Thought now that I think about it, I'm not sure a swimsuit is something you'd want to wear at PAX.

• TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular

sounds pretty cool, I almost decided to do a humanized Fact Sphere, but decided to do Miror B instead because he's a cool bro.

Gameshark wrote:
    I'm actually trying to get my friends to do that because I'm terrible XD
    I'm making a brand new team from scratch, and I'm working on something else too at the same time so I can't spend too long trying to hatch a thousand eggs for the right one.
    So I'm trying to at least get my friends to breed me pokemon. So far, I'm hatching sneasal... now I just gotta work on the other 5 when I'm done

Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
    Losar wrote:
    They announced a new leader on the PPL Website. Seems pretty legit.

He's probably the most legit. Don't know anyone more legit than him! :D
    Gameshark wrote:

I have evidence to the contrary, specifically the cleanliness of the floors at PAX. Because... because I heard you wiped the floor with people. A lot of people. Which would make the floors clean.

TERRIFYING.

My team's just about done. I just need to trade-evolve one of my Pokes and test him out before I should be ready. Got my bases covered this year, I hope. No Spore-Sub Breloom to carry me this time.

edited February 2012
    Propriety wrote:
    He's probably the most legit. Don't know anyone more legit than him! :D

I'd go so far as to say that he may be too legit. In fact, he's so legit that if he was ever given the option of quitting, I do not believe he would accept.

Morganstern on
    A new leader is up on http://paxpokemonleague.net/ ! It's Yeager, The Aerial Ace! (This guy's a hoot!)

Propriety wrote:
    A new leader is up on http://paxpokemonleague.net/ ! It's Yeager, The Aerial Ace! (This guy's a hoot!)
    Propriety wrote:
    ! It's Yeager, The Aerial Ace! (This guy's a hoot!)
    Propriety wrote:
    (This guy's a hoot!)

I see what you did there. I wish I could make puns as glorious as yours.

With some practice it's a breeze!

On another note, look at all these gym leaders!

• GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    cocowoushi wrote:
    Gameshark wrote:
    You make up for it with your charming personality.
    You just say that to all the pretty girls, don't you?
    Propriety wrote:
    Gameshark wrote:
    I have evidence to the contrary, specifically the cleanliness of the floors at PAX. Because... because I heard you wiped the floor with people. A lot of people. Which would make the floors clean.

TERRIFYING.
    I meant in terms of this thing called a "heart." Pokemon are used for battling, what is this "friendship" you all speak of? This lady is doing it wrong I tell you.

• Doc RogersDoc Rogers Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    What's the majority of which version most people will be playing? White, black, diamond, platinum? yadda, yadda.

Doc Rogers on