As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Is Battlefield 2 (patch 1.41) horribly unbalanced?

eobeteobet 8-bit childhoodSwedenRegistered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
We all know that BF2 is nooooowhere near realistic. So, the game needs to be balanced in order to be fun.

I haven't played in over a year, but I just tried it and my first impressions is that it's not at all what I remembered, and it's not at all fun.

Aircraft and helicopters rape EVERYTHING, and there is seemingly no way to bring them down.

Am I the only one who has experienced this?

I have Project Reality queued for download right now, perhaps it will help.

Does anyone know of any servers (in the EU) who switch off aircraft & helis, or a mod which does this?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
eobet on

• zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    eobet wrote: »
    Aircraft and helicopters rape EVERYTHING, and there is seemingly no way to bring them down.

That's how it's been for a long time. It's the biggest reason BF2 was never very popular.

zilo on
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    zilo wrote: »

That's how it's been for a long time. It's the biggest reason BF2 was never very popular.

Huh?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Huh?

Compared to BF1942. A lot of people (like myself) bought it, played it off and on for a couple months hoping for the balance problems to get fixed, then quit.

zilo on
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So did Battlefield 2 never move past patch 1.41?

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Helis are easily destroyed with stationary machine guns... or was that changed

I played the shit out of BF2 for a long time... clan matches and leagues and whatnot... it was really fun.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Huh?

Compared to BF1942. A lot of people (like myself) bought it, played it off and on for a couple months hoping for the balance problems to get fixed, then quit.
    Yup, that's basically what I did as well. Which sucks, because when people weren't spamming the aircraft, I had a lot of fun with it. Eventually though, it just got way too stupid.

I'm liking Quake Wars though. Aircraft (and vehicles in general) aren't nearly as overpowered, and there's always a way to bring them down thanks to the "rock-paper-scissors" balance of the game.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • musanmanmusanman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    There are a lot of infantry only servers, or if you play the map Karkland there aren't any aircraft. It sucks to only play a couple maps but it's pretty fun to not get raped by helicopters.

That said, anybody wanna join me or help me out with special forces expansion? I don't have it I just need somebody to play on my account to unlock the sniper rifle (as soon as you log in you get it).

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    heh, I actually just installed this a few days ago, was planning on playing it a bit this weekend. Haven't played in a year and I'm going to a lan party at the end of the month where I'll probably be playing it a lot.

I may just go into the tourney cold turkey because it's people I know and we always go with no aircraft.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I miss this game. The infantry combat was absolutely stellar.

Do you really need the expansion(s) to get the most out of this game at the moment? I haven't touched it in over a year.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
    edited July 2007
    Evangir wrote: »
    I miss this game. The infantry combat was absolutely stellar.

Do you really need the expansion(s) to get the most out of this game at the moment? I haven't touched it in over a year.

I don't have the expansion and I don't think most servers use any of the features. The reason it's handy to have is you get extra weapon unlocks. I love the spec forces sniper rifle L96A1 but I can't unlock it. That's the only reason I'd buy it, I just can't justify $20 for a cooler looking gun in my game.

All that's really necessary is to know SOMEBODY who has it and s/he can login with your account join a server and you get all the unlocks immedietely.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Project Reality makes BF2 more solid and awesome definately. Helicopters and vehicles are'nt quite the superpower they used to be and Infintry combat feels right.

Waka Laka on
  • BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So is there a reason that whenever I install Battlefied 2 and patch the game to 1.41 it goes through the motions of patching, then when I play the game it refuses to acknowledge that it has been patch and promptly kicks me off the server?

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2007
    BigDes wrote: »
    So is there a reason that whenever I install Battlefied 2 and patch the game to 1.41 it goes through the motions of patching, then when I play the game it refuses to acknowledge that it has been patch and promptly kicks me off the server?

are you sure you patched to 1.41? I downloaded the installer and thought I was gravy, but there is another stupid little patch I forgot. If that's not the problem check the box on your filter to make sure you're only getting servers that have the same version as you.

musanman on
    sic2sig.jpg
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    my friend is good in the jet. he'll sometimes get in a jet at the beginning of the round and never leave until the game's over but even then, the helis can take out jets. i've done it myself at least a few times. when my friend (and forum-goer manic205) gets in the pilot seat, its better than top gun, i mean he absolutely rocks, but even when he's tearing it up someone he didnt expect will take him down from the ground. we have a blast in the helis but there are usually anti-air tanks and IGLAs trying to take us down left and right, and a lot of times they succeed if we don't spot them first. hell, even a well used turret from a jeep can tear the helis apart. seems to me they balanced it just fine, or at least, everything they give you is capable of restoring balance if used well.

the only time i really ever complain about battlefield 2 is when the other team tries or succeeds in baseraping an uncappable base (meaning the one base on the map that can't be overtaken by enemy forces so they hover around spawn-killing from the cockpit - my friend and i still wonder why they don't make some balanced maps with an uncappable for each team) as far as i can tell, the best way to fight air is with air... however, that is not always an option.

that's where the M203 grenade launcher comes into play. i've taken down a few helicopters with it and while there is a learning curve, it's certainly not impossible. i really had not understood the complaining about imbalance in bf2 until now... and i'll admit i'm still confused as to what you mean... of course a helicopter versus a human isn't going to be a fair fight.

edit: oh, there is one other thing we complain about. it seems everyone has perfected this spiffy cartwheel into a prone position while shooting directly into the heart or brain with pinpoint accuracy. no measure of jumping around or evasion tactics can elude it. you know what i mean.

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm playing a Oman only map and I love it! If I wanted infantry only I'd be playing CS. The vehicles are what makes BF2 great. The current balance is ok. Aircraft do rape but I rape back by sniping the pilots in the head with the 50cal when they enter their plane/helo. b00m h3@d5h0T!!!

LondonBridge on
  • Stevo 22Stevo 22 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm playing a Oman only map and I love it! If I wanted infantry only I'd be playing CS. The vehicles are what makes BF2 great. The current balance is ok. Aircraft do rape but I rape back by sniping the pilots in the head with the 50cal when they enter their plane/helo. b00m h3@d5h0T!!!

infantry only on battlefield, and counterstrike... you speak of two very different things.

anyway, it's a blast to do the whole class based thing infantry only with a squad and a good commander, but without friendly fire turned on its like grenades rain from the sky. not very fun. i guess there's another gripe i have: excessive claymore use. i mean really, they're unstoppable landmines that you can only hope to avoid if you actually have the lucky glimpse to see them before they explode. nevermind that you can't shoot them out which is utterly ridiculous in my mind. it's when the bastards rig up main roads with tons of them and there's absolutely nothing you can do but spare lives to clear the way that it becomes a gamebreaking problem. :x

Stevo 22 on
    "It's do or die." "Hey, I've died twice."
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Stevo 22 wrote: »
    excessive claymore use. i mean really, they're unstoppable landmines that you can only hope to avoid if you actually have the lucky glimpse to see them before they explode. nevermind that you can't shoot them out which is utterly ridiculous in my mind. it's when the bastards rig up main roads with tons of them and there's absolutely nothing you can do but spare lives to clear the way that it becomes a gamebreaking problem. :x

Now my memory of this game is becoming a little clearer. I remember why I stopped playing.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Project Reality makes BF2 more solid and awesome definately. Helicopters and vehicles are'nt quite the superpower they used to be and Infintry combat feels right.

I just tried Project Reality now... the only thing it made different was some graphics and removed the hit indicator (oh, and some recoil). People still take like five shots to kill.

Bloody disappointing after having played Insurgency for HL2.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?