As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Thinkpads.

XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
My very first computer (which I got in 1999) was a used IBM Thinkpad 600. When it broke in 2000, I asked my father if he could source an IBM service manual so that I could fix it. He did, but I couldn't fix it, and ended up buying a Compaq Presario desktop. For the next nine years, I used desktop computers only.

When I was shipping off to college in 2009, I bought a MacBook Pro out of curiosity. It was a good machine, but a part of me wished I gotten a Thinkpad instead. I would say that over 70% of the students at my university used MacBooks - and while I also saw a lot of HPs and Dells, I didn't see very many people using Thinkpads in particular.

Last summer, I sold my MacBook and got a Lenovo Thinkpad T420. It's still my workhorse machine and is one of the most solid notebooks I've ever had.

Maybe when Ivy Bridge releases in June, I might get my hands on a T430s...

What are your experiences with Thinkpads? Perhaps the best thing about them is their retro 1990s aesthetic.

XX55XX on

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    We got a laptop for use in undergrad and it was a thinkpad.

It was a servicable machine, but pretty shit if you wanted to really do anything on it.

Though I think that was the UTS department limiting us more than anything (like removing the goddamn lisence for windows media player so we couldn't use DVDs on the damn things so I had to waste an afternoon helping the English department download VLC.)

I've always had good luck with Acer. Cheap, reliable machines. I do like the look of thinkpads, though.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    My laptop is a ThinkPad T510. I like it. I've had no problems with it.

Mind you, I don't do any gaming, I use it for work stuff from home and on trips.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i like my mac notebook most of all. of the non-mac notebooks i've used, i thought the thinkpad felt most quality.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    ThinkPads have always been more of a business machine than personal use, hence the lack of ThinkPads on college campuses.

That said, their customer service over the last few years has really seemed to go downhill, and from what I read when I was shopping for a laptop two years ago, the build quality has suffered as well.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    XX55XXXX55XX Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote:
    ThinkPads have always been more of a business machine than personal use, hence the lack of ThinkPads on college campuses.

That said, their customer service over the last few years has really seemed to go downhill, and from what I read when I was shopping for a laptop two years ago, the build quality has suffered as well.

Lenovo's service still sucks (had to deal with them last summer for a custom order), but the build quality has greatly improved since the IBM acquisition, from what I hear. The latest models are all very solid.

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    I got an Ideapad Y560 a couple years ago and this thing has been solid ever since. Use it for programming at school and it runs any games I ask it to, I don't do any shooters or anything on it.

Best laptop I've ever purchased.

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    I've owned a lot of different Thinkpads over the years, but my favorite was probably the 701c.

It had a fold-out butterfly keyboard:

FDEzW.jpg

I eventually sold my 701 on eBay, and kind of regret it now.

These days I just use a Macbook, but Thinkpads were definitely legit back in the day.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    I really hate macs, I just can't get into the aesthetic I guess. I don't like the keyboards or the layout and I hate that windows is trying to ape leopard or whatever it is now.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I've owned a lot of different Thinkpads over the years, but my favorite was probably the 701c.

It had a fold-out butterfly keyboard:

FDEzW.jpg

I eventually sold my 701 on eBay, and kind of regret it now.

These days I just use a Macbook, but Thinkpads were definitely legit back in the day.

I LOVED that notebook. I never owned one, but my uncle had one, and I was so jealous. I am posting on a T410s right now (my work machine) and I love the quality feel and low weight (this is the first laptop I have had at work that I actually bring home on a regular basis).

• Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I love Thinkpads. Very few problems with any of the 25 or so my company had. Nice construction, reliable components, great business support customer support at least(it was two years ago, anyway). The docking stations are all pretty sane.

I like Macs, but they aren't for me. Great construction and styling, enough power and an OS that doesn't get viruses or break much. Pretty much what most people are looking for.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I had a Z61m for several years at work till we went with Dell for laptops and it was a pretty solid machine. Since Lenovo took over I've not tried one. I almost bought an ideapad but it wasn't going to ship till May from their online store so I ended up with an Asus gaming machine instead.

• Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    My work laptop is a sager, which is basically pretty decent for a portable win7 workstation, but the fit and finish is kind of shitty and the trackpad is basically useless. It's good for development work.

I'm pretty sure that a macbook pro with a win7 partition would have been a better machine for most things, though. Probably cheaper, too.

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    A lot of people at work have em and I find them to be massively overpriced for what you get. I mean they are still decent laptops but they have Macintosh levels of silly-stupid markup. And, like the Macs, they just do not deliver a product comesurate with the massive massive cost.

Even Alienware has less of a markup than thinkpads.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    Z61 and R61 thinkpads make up a good chunk of the computers my foremen at work use (probably upwards of 100 out there). They seem quite dependable! They survive in some pretty poor conditions. Construction trailers mostly. I haven't had any new ones to play with though, since our higher end machines are all HPs for some god awful reason.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    A lot of people at work have em and I find them to be massively overpriced for what you get. I mean they are still decent laptops but they have Macintosh levels of silly-stupid markup. And, like the Macs, they just do not deliver a product comesurate with the massive massive cost.

Yeah, they have a ridiculous rep with businesses that has built up over years and years. That's what brand awareness gets you.

Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod

hasn't tom's hardware done cost/ feature/ spec breakdowns of macs and think pads compared to other brands and found them good values for their feature sets? am i misremembering this?

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Irond Will wrote:

hasn't tom's hardware done cost/ feature/ spec breakdowns of macs and think pads compared to other brands and found them good values for their feature sets? am i misremembering this?

All I know is the last 4 times I was considering buying a laptop (over the last 3 years or so) I always checked the comparably loaded Mac and it was at least 1.5x as much and on two occasions (including the most recent) twice as much for the same specs.

edit: Thinkpads were about 1.5x as much as what I ended up buying in each case. The most recent being a fully loaded 14" Alienware with a core i7 a few months ago.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    We use thinkpads at work, bu good god I hate that thing. It may just be all the useless software bogging the thing down, but it's so slow it can barely open a word document. (Seriously, when I open a word doc it freezes for up to 8 minutes)

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    DVG wrote:
    We use thinkpads at work, bu good god I hate that thing. It may just be all the useless software bogging the thing down, but it's so slow it can barely open a word document. (Seriously, when I open a word doc it freezes for up to 8 minutes)

My boss at my last job had a really small (like almost netbook sized) thinkpad with that problem. Turned out they had put such a shitty hard drive in for the system drive that it bogged everything down into uselessness.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Geese_PantsGeese_Pants Registered User regular
    They are pretty solid machines and rather good, always were.

As for the cost, eh... well. Like apple they don't really have a "low end", so you're going to pay more. Unlike apple though they do have a high end, apple has no actual high end laptops.

We use HPs and toughbooks and a few thinkpads at work. High end HPs with quadro GPUs, fancy RAM, dreamcolor IPS panels, for CAD/CAM work easily cost over 5 grand when you start upgrading them, and they do get higher (we've got some over 7 grand) so when you think about it thinkpads aren't all that bad for a "professional" machine. When people look at apple thinkpads and compare them to other consumer laptops there is always a "holy crap" moment because you are paying more for the same but getting a better built product. If you want sticker shock though look into actual mobile workstations.

Also thinkpads are the business/executive notebook out there. Kinda how macs are the hipster/blogger laptop. There is a reputation that goes with that, if you're an executive and serious about business, you get a thinkpad end of story. For us it's HP elitebooks for the normal people, macbooks for the graphics department, toughbooks for the field people, high end HP workstation laptops for the IT folks and like the CEO and head of legal have thinkbooks.

A lot of people swear by their keyboards as well and they are good. Where other companies keep tossing snazier and snazier shit at things and changing things up, thinkpads have stuck with what works, an understated look, 16:10 resolution if you want it, and a keyboard that is top notch. Those things matter and people will pay out the ass for them.

These are our higher ends we use

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4673/hp-elitebook-8760w-color-so-dreamy

That configuration is a little over 6 grand and they get higher. They are nice, but we all threw a collective shit fit when they went from 1200p to 1080p, 16:9 resolution can suck my balls. If they made a 16:10 version of it and charged even slightly less than a grand more for it we'd be all over that in an instant. Pretty decent mobile workstations though, amazing build quality, and the premium support on them is amazing.

For personal laptops though I prefer ASUS. I've always loved their products and the quality is great. Their support sucks ass though. But ASUS has always been a brand for tech heads and people who fix things on their own. if my work laptop breaks I'll just drop my daily back up image on another one, and HP will take care of overnight shipping both ways, it's back two days later.

• Options
    fshavlakfshavlak Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I've had a T61p since the fall of 2007, and it's been either my only computer or my primary work computer ever since. Unbelievably solid laptop. It doesn't feel like it's ready to fall apart like you'll see with other laptops after 6 months or so. I'd buy again, but I have friends that have had bad Lenovo experiences. As far as useless factory software goes, one of the first things I did with it was format and install Windows from scratch (Vista, back then. Now it spends most of its time running Ubuntu).

fshavlak on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Thinkpads come with a fucking shit-ton of bloatware, and the positioning of their function key is ten kinds of retarded.

Function key doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal, but trust me, if you're used to your control key being there like it has been for decades, having a different key there basically ruins your entire computer using experience.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote:
    Thinkpads come with a fucking shit-ton of bloatware, and the positioning of their function key is ten kinds of retarded.

Function key doesn't seem like it would be that big of a deal, but trust me, if you're used to your control key being there like it has been for decades, having a different key there basically ruins your entire computer using experience.

Indeed. It's like how Macs make the Home and End keys fucking useless.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Thanatos wrote:

I'm pretty sure they expect them to be for business users where the IT department will build a corporate image for them.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote:

Indeed. It's like how Macs make the Home and End keys fucking useless.

the windows key is a goddamned productivity-killing blight.

oh - hey! - who has priority now?!

Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    EgoEgo Registered User regular
    I haven't used thinkpads much since lenovo took them over, but I really loved the classic ones in the 90s. The 701 which has already been mentioned was pretty much a work of art. Stands out with designs like the powerbook 150, in my mind.

These days I pretty much pick between two brands when it comes to laptops: hp (preferably business) and Acer. Acer just about always wins the bang-for-the-buck stuff on the low to mid range, even though their customer support is really awful. Reliability can vary by model, but again, they're budget laptops. HP stuff comparatively is cheaper than Sony, much cheaper than Apple, and still really well engineered. I've loved their recent aluminum-bodied stuff enough to buy one of the dv7 series.

Erik
  • Options
    HPs high end business line is utterly fucking amazing. Oddly enough, I'd give a close second to dell. But that's only their top end models. They also cost a kidney.

I've got an ASUS G73 and a zenbook for my personal stuff along with a voodoo envy 133. ASUS is great for home stuff, well made and not badly priced.

Lately though I've been mobiling on my Transformer prime 201, waiting for the 701.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Save one guy, my entire office is on relatively low-end Dells at this point (I do the purchasing).

I find them to be eminently reliable, and have a minimum of bloatware. Their customer service leaves something to be desired, but honestly, I don't really need it often enough to worry about it.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote:
    Save one guy, my entire office is on relatively low-end Dells at this point (I do the purchasing).

I find them to be eminently reliable, and have a minimum of bloatware. Their customer service leaves something to be desired, but honestly, I don't really need it often enough to worry about it.

Do you guys have a corporate image? That might be why. The last place I worked at had over 1k people in the main office and far more globally. We used Dells and while reliable, we had corporate images for the 3 desktops and 3 laptop models we gave full support to. As the IT officer there none of that was stock and all custom built, which helped a lot when dealing with them. It's much the same where I'm at now. The only things that aren't IT customs is if you chose an iphone and ipad over blackberry/android products, and with that we tell you full in advance "yeah, that's on you but don't expect much help when it panics". Oddly enough, the android and BB devices have less issues. We just don't have enough control over them to back them with anything other than "trust in Steve Jobs".

Ultrabooks are shaping up to be a headache I do not want. Since the first couple dozen requests we've had for them are for field works and boils down to "my laptop is to heavy and I hate working in the field with it" and I'll be damned I've I'm going to start issuing ultrabooks instead of toughbooks to field workers.

Also Dells gold customer service is on site next day or they pay shipping both ways 3 day swap out, that's not bad. Only Dell and HP have that level in the US. Granted it costs a bit, but it's worth it. With either company we can get the part within a day regardless and my techs are fast enough to do the swap, run the tests, and get it out to the end user within 10 mins of that finishing, so it's not bad at all.

The only better support we have is all the HP UX servers. But at the cost of those, I wouldn't expect anything less than a blowjob from them.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    XX55XX wrote:
    What are your experiences with Thinkpads? Perhaps the best thing about them is their retro 1990s aesthetic.

I get exactly what you're saying. Even though we use Dells here, the first thing I think of visually when I think laptop is a black Thinkpad looking thing.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg