As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gagging problem, chronic

zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
I keep gagging. It feels like my throat wants to throw up but my stomach doesn't. You know that feeling when you're in the dentist chair and you've got gunk in the back of your sinuses, but you can't spit or swallow so you have to gag? It's like that, except it comes randomly without warning and it's lasted for years. I'm used to that and I can live with that, but recently it's been getting worse. In the last month or so, I've gone from gagging randomly twice a day, to multiple times an hour. It's affecting my ability and desire to eat and work out. And it's just generally unpleasant.

I tried to google-fu the problem, and heard that sometimes the problem may be caused by allergies causing mucus (and I generally have to gag after trying to either spit or swallow). So I've started taking Allegra, but it hasn't seemed to have an effect. Other recommendations include eating a lot of soups and using vaporizers or hot cloths on the chest. I think these remedies are more focused towards people who've got temporary mucus problems from colds and not a chronic problem. Plus, it's not like I can eat nothing but soup my whole life. I currently can't go to the doctor because I'm without health insurance and not financially stable. I didn't expect the problem to deteriorate this badly this quickly. I also currently have had a cold for the last two days (I blame on my impacted eating and working out), which is making everything that much worse.

If anyone knows what this is our how to treat it, I would be grateful.

zerg rush on

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    There are plenty of clinics for people with little to no money. Go to one before permanent damage occurs.

Esh on
  • KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    zerg rush wrote:
    I keep gagging. It feels like my throat wants to throw up but my stomach doesn't. You know that feeling when you're in the dentist chair and you've got gunk in the back of your sinuses, but you can't spit or swallow so you have to gag? It's like that, except it comes randomly without warning and it's lasted for years. I'm used to that and I can live with that, but recently it's been getting worse. In the last month or so, I've gone from gagging randomly twice a day, to multiple times an hour. It's affecting my ability and desire to eat and work out. And it's just generally unpleasant.

I tried to google-fu the problem, and heard that sometimes the problem may be caused by allergies causing mucus (and I generally have to gag after trying to either spit or swallow). So I've started taking Allegra, but it hasn't seemed to have an effect. Other recommendations include eating a lot of soups and using vaporizers or hot cloths on the chest. I think these remedies are more focused towards people who've got temporary mucus problems from colds and not a chronic problem. Plus, it's not like I can eat nothing but soup my whole life. I currently can't go to the doctor because I'm without health insurance and not financially stable. I didn't expect the problem to deteriorate this badly this quickly. I also currently have had a cold for the last two days (I blame on my impacted eating and working out), which is making everything that much worse.

If anyone knows what this is our how to treat it, I would be grateful.

See a doctor. It could be life-threatening, but might not.

For instance, I have Gilbert's Syndrome. This means I am prone to bouts of extreme nausea- for which the cure is to force down food and deal with it. "cure" being relative, it doesn't solve the underlying syndrome, but it means I stop being nauseous. Over time, this has made my gag reflex worse and worse, to the point that moderate coughing makes me start gagging.

You could have any number of issues though- anything from severe acid reflux to a severe sinus infection with an exaggerated gag reflex to swollen bits of your throat that are enhancing your gag reflex to straight-up cancer. The last is less likely, but the point is, you need a doctor. The possibilities are mind boggling, and very few can be diagnosed without a doctor. Most turn into "well, damn, you just have to drink more water, and try to control your throat better." but plenty are much worse.

As for advice on how to see said doctor.. That's hard. I live in MA, and here.. it'd be get the cheapo health insurance and go.

But no matter where you are, you need to go. Even if you can never pay the bill, because what you're describing can be a "Well without treatment or at least knowledge of it I'm dead in a year" sort of thing. Wish I could give happier advice, but it really can be that serious- medicine runs in my family, and my mom's a nurse, my aunt's a nurse, my cousin's a nurse... I studied a bunch of unnecessary bio... I'm not a doctor, bit it really super falls into that category of "really, you must. Preferably not in the ER."

Sorry... Maybe you can find a free clinic like Esh suggested?

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    I guess I'll try that.

It's just that I've lived with it for years with it very slowly getting worse, so it seems like it should be benign. It's just that there's been such a sudden jump recently it surprised me.

• KiashienKiashien Medford, MARegistered User regular
    zerg rush wrote:
    I guess I'll try that.

It's just that I've lived with it for years with it very slowly getting worse, so it seems like it should be benign. It's just that there's been such a sudden jump recently it surprised me.

One thing I was reminded from my diabetic cat... Small things slowly building can be extremely serious.

At least this way you'll know if it's that serious or not.

The pirate hat riding bobcat compels you...

Relevant info: #PAX East: 3 Coin Lunch organizer. 2012 Trading card available. Pokecrawl Assistant 2012. Pokecrawl attendee 2011. Cult of the Leaf attendee 2012.
  • TheInspectorTheInspector Registered User regular
    I have the exact same problem. I went on some antibiotics which didn't work. It's at its worst after eating/drinking dairy, first thing in the morning and during exercise.

Drink water when you start to feel it build up, and look for lozenges designed for this (I think they contain glycerine).

But yeah, get checked by a doctor, just in case.

xbox360/WiiU: AnEvilHypnotist