As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Holy fuck we're buying a house

UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIREBUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
edited February 2012 in Social Entropy++
so in a period of about 24 hours, my wife and I went from "starting to look for a house to buy" to "holy shit we're putting in an offer" to "holy fuck it's accepted we're buying a house."

I'm kinda freaking out a little, but it's cool. Check out my (in 3 months) first house SE++:

Y43WF.jpg
front view: yeah, it's a house.

Nfcrm.jpgUek62.jpg
I'm basically gonna live in that kitchen. It's got a dining nook, that opens into a full dining room in sort of an L shape.

yNS0B.jpg
that dining room there.

U5Y8s.jpg
that living room is half the size of our current apartment. and goddamn hardwood floors.

6rZza.jpg
the master bedroom: our furniture will not be as fancy. I love the corner windows though, light from 2 sides.

RUI2S.jpg
shit yes it has a sun porch (and a ridiculously landscaped fenced back yard that isn't in any of the pictures). Is there a better place to sip beverages on a summer evening? I highly doubt it.

9aDdb.jpg
bigass family room with a woodstove in the basement. so excited.

Also 2 other bedrooms in the basement and whatever. holy fuck I'm excited/overwhelmed.

Marvel at what will be mine (well, the bank's) SE++, and share with me your stories of home ownership.

UnbrokenEva on

• KadithKadith Registered User regular
    can I sleep on your couch?

zkHcp.jpg
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I need to get me one of these

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    remember, 15 year mortgages are much better than 30 year

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    Kadith: our current couch is a kinda ratty thing our dogs sleep on.

we are going from a 1.5 bedroom apartment into that thing. holy shit we are going to need so much furniture.

• UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    we are going to have all of the house parties.

but not too crazy now, we're gonna own that shit. in fact, why don't we just have a nice dinner party.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Congrats, Fearghaill

I will crash there at some point (when your wife is away and you are feeling lonely)

she does work a lot of night shifts.

Don't worry I can share with the dogs

zkHcp.jpg
  • NoisymunkNoisymunk Registered User regular
    Looks nice! Congratulations!

Did you have it inspected by a trusted home inspector?

We purchased a home in Connecticut in 2003, just before the bubble burst. It was a bit of a mistake, but we were young and desperate to move out of the awful rental where we had been living for a year. We lived in that house for about 4 years before a work opportunity had us relocating to DC, and then Hawaii, and then back to DC. We've been reluctant landlords ever since. Now, we're back in New England, but still renting that house out and living in a nicer rental. Can't sell it, we'd take a huge loss.

The saving grace is that our tenants have been trustworthy and paid their rent on time.

brDe918.jpg
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Nice!

Rachel and I were going to look to buy a house or a condo but our financials aren't quite there yet

We've got an appointment with a good home inspector tomorrow - all of this is conditional on stuff like that. The house only went on the market yesterday, which is partly why this is so overwhelming. We both loved it, but we had to move very fast as there were 2-3 other people making offers on it as well.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Fearghaill wrote:

And I work a lot of night shafts

Fearghaill wrote:
    We've got an appointment with a good home inspector tomorrow - all of this is conditional on stuff like that. The house only went on the market yesterday, which is partly why this is so overwhelming. We both loved it, but we had to move very fast as there were 2-3 other people making offers on it as well.

Excellent, make sure you ask a lot of questions.

brDe918.jpg
    seriously my day yesterday was: go to work, get a text at lunchtime from my wife who saw the house and was flipping the hell out, try to get another showing in the evening for me to see it but it was booked solid with other people, get in to see it this morning, write up the offer at 11, our agent met theirs with it at 11:30, pace back and forth until 1:30 when we found out ours was accepted.

literally 24 hours from my wife seeing the house to us finding out we could buy it.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    make sure they check for transients living in the attic

it is a 6 minute walk from my wife's work, about the same from a grocery store and a good bus stop on a line that goes all the way to my work with no transfers. good neighbourhood with good schools, etc

make sure they check for transients living in the attic

We're going to bring our dogs for the inspection, they are highly trained at sniffing out transients.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    can i live in your basement and scare your children

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    good luck! (with the home inspection, i mean.) i hope it works out perfectly.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    how about you pretend live in the basement to scare our pretend children?

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Keith wrote:
    Fearghaill wrote:

Really, Keith?

I see a maple leaf pillow, is this in Canada? If so, totally get Mike Holmes to do your inspection!

brDe918.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    congratulations dude!
    and thanks for giving me the layout of the place, now i don't have to case it

the inspector we've hired is one that my mother talked about a lot when she sold real estate. She either loved or hated him depending on if she was representing the buyer or the seller. Which I think is a good sign.

Antimatter wrote:
    congratulations dude!
    and thanks for giving me the layout of the place, now i don't have to case it

please, real estate photos are always carefully cropped to make rooms look bigger, and brighter, and to hide things like cracks, water damage, and deadly traps.

Keith wrote:
    Fearghaill wrote:

Really, Keith?

Look, I never claimed to be clever

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    It doesn't really look like much from the outside but damn does the interior look nice.

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote:

TOO LATE i already pretend flew them away into my pretend insidious vacation basement

Seriously though I'm super happy for you guys, Fearghaill. You're awesome and it sounds like everything about this place is great for you

Lasbrook wrote:
    It doesn't really look like much from the outside but damn does the interior look nice.

now apply this sentence to a vagina

zkHcp.jpg
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    That looks a lovely house!

Fearghaill wrote:

TOO LATE i already pretend flew them away into my pretend insidious vacation basement

that's okay, I never liked them much.
    Lasbrook wrote:

The front doesn't look great, but god damn is the back yard well maintained. It's going to be a shame letting our dogs loose to pee on everything.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Now get a pool.

And put this in it.

RQetr.jpg

b1ehrMM.gif
    Trippy: I want one. or two.

man that little kid is pervin' like crazy

zkHcp.jpg
    my brother is getting a pool

I have to show him this

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    dats a nice house

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I used to want to get a house, but now not so much. We had a house for a little while in Ellensburg. And man, houses are a lot of fuckin' work.

BLM - ACAB
    when i grow up i'm going to have 7 houses

one for each day of the week

zkHcp.jpg