As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune: 23 Months Later

meatflowermeatflower Registered User regular
I'm considering buying a Zune but before taking the plunge I'd like to sample the masses of good ol' G&T.

Currently I own an aging 3G iPod which I use for music (and that's really all the 3G does anyway). The problem is that the battery is down to the point where it will last about an hour on a full charge. Yes I could replace it, but ever since selling my PSP for a DS I've lost all mobile video capabilities and the 5G iPod's screen size is not gonna cut it after using the PSP. In comes the Zune. The screen looks great and the rest of the unit doesn't look too shabby either (I know some people hate it).

I'd still be using it mostly for music. I read this review at Ars Technica from last November. From what I gathered they were happy with the hardware but the software was buggy and not very user friendly. My question to the G&T populace:

Has Microsoft improved the Zune's software in the past 6 months? Do you own a Zune? Do you like it? Even if the software is still buggy and not user friendly, is it enough of an annoyance that you would have rather gotten a 5G iPod?

Also, I have a ton of music I've ripped from all my old CD's and easily imported into iTunes. Will the Zune software take issue with these non-DRM'd mp3's? I ripped all the stuff with EAC (Exact Audio Copy) and then converted to MP3 with LAME. They're just straight mp3 files so it doesn't seem like it should be a problem. They also have no DRM or other proof of ownership built in so I can see how it may be an issue.

What about ripping my own DVD's? Will that be a problem?

Thanks.

To the mods: I did a search and found a few threads of varying ages on the subject. I thought it would be better to create my own thread to get answers to my own specific questions rather than hijack an old thread.

archer_sig-2.jpg
meatflower on

• Options
    Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm also very curious about this. I have a Nano for walking to class and such, but at some point I'm going to want to upgrade to a full iPod or a Zune for video capabilities. I know the Zune does .wmv, but does it do anything else? What about the iPod? It would be awesome if either did xvid, but I have a feeling neither does. I think I may wait until the new iPod comes out, since it has been a while since the 5G was released.

Mace1370 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Unless Apple significantly changes the next iPod I probably still won't be interested. They'll probably keep the same form factor and the screen will still be small.

Now if it looked like the iPhone without the whole phone part....I'd be all over that.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If you want video, why not get a PDA?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Because I wouldn't use the PIM features? Why pay for something that I'm not going to use? Also the storage issue. Can't really get 30 gigabyte SD cards.

meatflower on
    archer_sig-2.jpg
  • Options
    bombcarbombcar Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Have you considered a PSP instead? It's a good video player, I hear.

Rumor has it that after the iPhone hype dies down a bit (Sept/Oct), new video iPods that are basically iPhones without the phone will be coming.

bombcar on
  • Options
    SushisourceSushisource Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    bombcar wrote: »
    Have you considered a PSP instead? It's a good video player, I hear.

Rumor has it that after the iPhone hype dies down a bit (Sept/Oct), new video iPods that are basically iPhones without the phone will be coming.

Come on man.
    meatflower wrote: »
    but ever since selling my PSP for a DS

Sushisource on
    Some drugee on Kavinsky's 1986
    kavinskysig.gif
  • Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    i have a zune. I like it.

My only problem is that its a bit too large to go running with.

aesir on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love my Zune. I mainly use it in the car (that's pretty much the only place I listen to music) but it's great to have when flying or anything else like that. The only gripe I have with it is the software, which so far there isn't an alternative to but once you get used to it, it's functional.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The Zune software has definitely been improved. I even use it as my main music player on my PC.
    I love my Zune and I have no regrets about buying it at all. The sound quality (along with my new Ultimate Ears) is freaking amazing.
    DVD Ripping to Zune is pretty easy. It's just a matter of getting some capable software like Xilisoft or Cucusoft.
    The Zune can play ALL Non-DRM mp3s. Don't worry, I'm sure your mp3 collection will work on the Zune.

Aesir, you shouldn't be running with Hard Drive mp3 players anyway. You'll end up breaking the thing.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    The Zune software has definitely been improved. I even use it as my main music player on my PC.

And you shouldn't be running with Hard Drive mp3 players anyway. You'll end up breaking the thing.

Is it still a resource hog? Because that and the fact that it was ALWAYS running in the background were my main problems (I haven't reinstalled the program on this new computer yet so it's been awhile since I've used it or added new music to my Zune, heh).

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Darmak wrote: »

And you shouldn't be running with Hard Drive mp3 players anyway. You'll end up breaking the thing.

Is it still a resource hog? Because that and the fact that it was ALWAYS running in the background were my main problems (I haven't reinstalled the program on this new computer yet so it's been awhile since I've used it or added new music to my Zune, heh).
    At the moment, the Zune software is taking up about 100 meg of Memory. It's not a problem.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    @ Mace1370 - It does .WMV and .MP4. I use .MP4 personally and you can get software that rips straight from a DVD and encodes it .mp4 and converts it to the zune's resolution. I have a bunch of seasons on mine and I love it.

Zune software is better than it was but some things like putting video on the zune still take longer than seems necessary.

My greatest praise for the zune is that the thing is built like a rock. I skate with mine and I have fallen with it in my pocket plenty of times. I've also landed directly on the zune multiple times to no ill effect to the insides, buttons, or screen. The case is marred a bit but it doesn't suprise me. After getting my iphone I questioned selling my zune but I've decided to keep it.

Shogun on
  • Options
    Captain VashCaptain Vash Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm a Zune fan. I finally broke down and got one despite all the negatives I've heard and I'm impressed with the ease of use, ease of interface, and I like the form factor.

Also, widescreen videos on the go? ++

Captain Vash on
    twitterforweb.Stuckens.1,1,500,f4f4f4,0,c4c4c4,000000.png
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I find it hilarious how biased against the Zune, Engadget are.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I find the software is alright. Nothing amazing though.

My #1 beef is currently the lack of native podcast support. Well, it can play podcasts fine (since they're just mp3s), but I wish the software were able to listen to feeds, auto-download podcasts, etc. Currently, I'm stuck with using some third party program called FeedMyZune which is barely usable (and riddled with bugs). Sadly, it's the only program I've found that works under Vista, unless someone knows a better solution.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    Re: nholderRe: nholder Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Girlfriend has a Zune, thus I am forced to have both the Zune software AND iTunes. For the first few months, the Zune software ran like complete shit. The new update fixed that, and compared to before hand, runs like a dream.

No need to worry about that, and I would definately recommend buying a Zune. Easy to use, very functional, and 6 months later it still holds its battery like new.

Re: nholder on
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yea, the software is much improve now. I remember at first being seriously pissed at how slow and much of resource hog it was, but now it loads quite painlessly. I like my zune, and I just recently bought the zune pass, which is pretty awesome. For fifteen dollars a month you can pretty much download anything of the marketplace. Of course, if you stop paying those fifteen dollars, the music won't play in your zune, so it's more like renting it than buying it, but still I like it. Only bad thing is when you run into a cd that you can't download, only buy, like Red Hot Chili Pepper's Stadium Arcadium

noir_blood on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    So am I the only person around here that absolutely does not want video in my pocket?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd rather buy a single album a month than that.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ihdihd Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    apotheos wrote: »
    So am I the only person around here that absolutely does not want video in my pocket?

Probably.

I've got a Zune, and though I use it mostly for music, it's handy to have videos to watch while on long commutes, while waiting for people, or while eating lunch.

ihd on
  • Options
    NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Your not alone. I just don't see the point. I like my video BIG. Been saving up for one of those LED engine Samsung sets. Watching video on a portable screen just seems to defeat the purpose of video.

Namrok on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My iPod broke last month, so I've been considering a Zune, because, really, who the hell is the video iPod trying to fool?

I was going to wait for the second generation Zune, though, which is expected to drop before the end of the year (as well as some kind of solid state Zune "nano")

Of course, now that I found out about club.live.com, I might just get MSoft to send me a free Zune...

Evander on
  • Options
    edited July 2007

I have no special urge to HAVE video in my pocket, but if it end up that something that I want otherwise also has video, I'm not going to turn it down because of it.

And if I'm going to be stuck with video, I might as well have decent video, if all other features I care about are the same.

Evander on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    How big is the Zune compared to an iPod Mini? That's what I have right now, and anything physically bigger I consider to be a brick. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    How big is the Zune compared to an iPod Mini? That's what I have right now, and anything physically bigger I consider to be a brick. :P

Are you some kind of magical pixie-faerie? The iPod Mini is like the size of my pinky.

In all seriousness, though, the Zune is maybe a little bit bigger than a video ipod.

Evander on
  • Options
    The Crowing OneThe Crowing One Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    One thing to keep in mind: Repair bills at this moment are TERRIBLE.

I dropped my Zune six months ago. Splat. Cracked LCD. My first thought was "crap, there goes 30-50 bucks for a new screen... looks like I'll have to hold off on *whatever useless 360 game I was going to blow the cash on.*"

Nope. LCD replacement? $180.

5G Ipod? $30.

If you DO get one, make sure to get a wicked sturdy case.

Oh, and Zune=x10,000 better if you use a 360 for anything media related.

The Crowing One on
    3rddocbottom.jpg
  • Options
    TxdoHawkTxdoHawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Nope, me as well. I bought a Zune mainly because of price and the slick interface.

TxdoHawk on
    TuxedoHawk.png
  • Options
    skydoggskydogg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My girlfriend and I bought zunes the week they were launched. Yeah, the software sucked. It's better now, but not exactly best of breed. I prefer Rhapsody personally. Haven't used iTunes much.

The main reason I bought a zune was for the subscription service. As you probably know, Apple doesn't offer a subscription service (yet). Now, I realize that the subscription thing isn't for everyone; and I'm constantly amazed at how much of a polarizing subject it can be. :) The subscription stuff works great. No random DRM/licensing issues for me, unlike when I tried to use Rhapsody To Go on my Creative Zen Micro.

Video is cool. I didn't really care originally, but now I rip dvd's from netflix to watch in the carpool and on the eliptical machine.

All in all, I'm pleased with the zune. And the battery is still going strong.

skydogg on
    skydogg.png
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Not really a necessity for me. What I need/want is an MP3 player with enough storage to hold my entire library + some room to expand. Right now I have about 13GB of music + podcasts on my 4th gen 20GB iPod, and I absolutely cannot stand not having my entire library with me. I have a Sansa e250(2GB + 1GB micro sd card) that I use for working out and it can be amazingly frustrating at the gym when I feel like listening to a certain artist and I don't have them on the sansa(other than that I *love* the sansa). So that means I want minimum 30GB in a player. Find me a 30GB+ player that's come out in the past year that doesn't have video capability? It's not that I want video specifically, but when I go to upgrade, the requirements I have for music demand a player that can also display video.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    zilozilo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

I thought I'd never use my iPod's video stuff until I missed an episode of The Office one week and picked it up on iTunes to watch on the train ride to work. Now I have more video than music on there. I wouldn't mind the Zune's bigger screen but I'm kinda stuck, having hitched my wagon to Apple's engine long, long ago.

zilo on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I have a Halo Zune... gave my 10gig iPod to a friend.

Zune Pass = WIN... I download anything and everything... complete Asia collection... *click*... awesome world and folk music *click*... all the Coltrane your ears can understand ... *click*

The selection is quite extensive and as a bonus the 360 can stream every bit of the subscription music... so music in the living room is a thousand times better for me.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    ScottieBoyScottieBoy Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    All this Zune talk has me wanting one. I need something bad because I can only stuff so many CDs into a car holder before my entire music selection is nothing but scratched discs.

I'm just wondering, can it play songs purchased form the iTunes store?

ScottieBoy on
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I replaced my 3G iPod with a Zune and I couldn't be happier. The software after the updates is no longer a huge resource hog, and I use it as my primary music player on my laptop as well. You just have to get used to the software because it is different from iTunes.

I use the video all the time on my commute on the train to work. It does only accept WMV and MP4 but that hasn't really bothered me since I have WinAvi Video Converter. The screen is large but don't expect to read any subtitles on it.

I love the fact that it has an FM tuner for those times you just don't feel like listening to anything you have. Along with that, just customizing the wallpaper of the Zune is a nice feature. I like seeing Jessica Alba as my background as I go through my music. It makes me feel all fuzzy.

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Are you some kind of magical pixie-faerie? The iPod Mini is like the size of my pinky.

Are you the guy that designed the original xbox controller?

Echo on
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I find it hilarious how biased against the Zune, Engadget are.
    It's ridiculous. I try to avoid Engadget at all time as all it seems they do is linkwhore with lame commentary and pictures and/or lame bias.
    Echo wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »

Are you the guy that designed the original xbox controller?
    Haha, on a completely unrelated thing, I never had problems with the big controller and I don't have large hands.. but the other day I was using my old Xbox and after having used the X360 controllers for so long I can't believe I ever used the XB ones. D:

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ScottieBoy wrote: »
    All this Zune talk has me wanting one. I need something bad because I can only stuff so many CDs into a car holder before my entire music selection is nothing but scratched discs.

I'm just wondering, can it play songs purchased form the iTunes store?

This would seem like an obvious "no" but there is that DRM free stuff that you can purchase that the Zune will play.

For the most part: no

The standard burn to CD rip back method works for stripping DRM

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Namrok wrote: »

Your not alone. I just don't see the point. I like my video BIG. Been saving up for one of those LED engine Samsung sets. Watching video on a portable screen just seems to defeat the purpose of video.

Yeah, video big is obviously ideal, but the Zune/iPod/iPhone isn't trying to replace your 60" DLP TV. It's trying to offer acceptable video quality on the go. So you can watch movies while on the train/bus/can/in line for something/while eating lunch/whatever else. If the device is light enough with a nice enough screen then huzzah.

For instance, the PSP is too big for this. The iPhone however is a great size for a portable video player with a pretty awesome screen.

DVG on
    Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My 5G ipod is on its way out. The battery lasts about an hour or so, and the HDD is so messed up that playing all songs on shuffle is basically like russian roulette. If you get to a bad track the ipod locks up for several minutes and it is a pain in the ass. I have my eyes on a white zune now. Is there really NO alternative software? I liked using Winamp to manage my ipod. Winamp is basically the coolest.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    My 5G ipod is on its way out. The battery lasts about an hour or so, and the HDD is so messed up that playing all songs on shuffle is basically like russian roulette. If you get to a bad track the ipod locks up for several minutes and it is a pain in the ass. I have my eyes on a white zune now. Is there really NO alternative software? I liked using Winamp to manage my ipod. Winamp is basically the buggiest.

setrajonas on
This discussion has been closed.