As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The thread of happiness, positivity, gratitude and griping about stuff

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Buttlord wrote:
    Fearghaill wrote:
    Buttlord: Ignore him.

Like I'm about to ignore you re: this issue. I can't make you be smarter about choosing your battles, but there's no point wasting my time/effort just because you're intent on wasting yours. Good luck!

Like I said

It's not about convincing the other dude

It's about fighting the normalization of this shit on reddit as a whole

Yeah if you just things like that slide then it becomes somehow acceptable as "just how things are here"

Gotta fight it every step of the way

It doesn't matter if you can't argue this guy into realising what he is

It's about making it clear to everyone that this shit does not fly

Solar on
  • Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    Bingo

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    It already is clear to everyone that child molestation is bad though. Buttlord may as well be crusading to convince people that fire is hot.

If arguing with a pedophile on reddit is all that stands between someone rejecting paedophilia and them thinking that sex with kids is okay... I don't want to live in a world where that could be true.

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    "oh shit this Lord of Butts is totally right! Sexually touching kids is wrong! That pedophile guy made a compelling argument, thank god someone was here on reddit to talk some sense into me."

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Fearghaill wrote:
    It already is clear to everyone that child molestation is bad though. Buttlord may as well be crusading to convince people that fire is hot.

If arguing with a pedophile on reddit is all that stands between someone rejecting paedophilia and them thinking that sex with kids is okay... I don't want to live in a world where that could be true.

You haven't been on reddit lately have you

The idea that sexualizing kids is A-OK has spread like wildfire and it's disgusting

Buttlord on
  • Options
    this is the textbook goddamn definition of Quixotic. You have created this insurmountable foe that does not exist.

I mean, the pedocreep exists but you've admitted it's not about him. The danger that he might by virtue of debating on reddit convince others that what he does is okay, that's the imaginary giant.

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    The point is that Reddit is still a place people think they can openly discuss molesting kids. It is up to the community to make it clear that it is not.

Of course my solution was to never go to Reddit ever but recent events compelled me to see how much of it was hyperbole. Turns out none of it.

I would be perfectly okay if the servers for Reddit were destroyed in a fire.

• Options
    Buttlord wrote:
    Fearghaill wrote:

The idea that sexualizing kids is A-OK has spread like wildfire and it's disgusting

you're right, I haven't!

do you really, honestly think that an increased number of pedophiles is due to people who had previously thought sexualizing kids was not okay being tricked into thinking it is?

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Buttlord wrote:
    Fearghaill wrote:

Is this actually something that's been around a lot? I dropped a lot of the popular subreddits (AmA, for example, so I never would have seen the post you linked) so I haven't seen too much of it- most of the negative comments I've seen about the admin's recent stuff were just complaining either that it took too long or that it was too limited.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    isn't it just a little more likely that people who were already into that sort of thing are just talking about it more as they had an environment in which they felt they could?

Not that that isn't a bad thing for people who want their reddit free of pedo-talk, but there's a big difference between thinking you're preventing people from becoming pedophiles and just wanting to push the pedophiles that already exist back into their holes.

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I like this argument about arguing.

Proceed.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    everyone in this discussion, myself included:

Don_Quixote_6.jpg

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote:
    isn't it just a little more likely that people who were already into that sort of thing are just talking about it more as they had an environment in which they felt they could?

Not that that isn't a bad thing for people who want their reddit free of pedo-talk, but there's a big difference between thinking you're preventing people from becoming pedophiles and just wanting to push the pedophiles that already exist back into their holes.
    It's a little of column A and a little of column B really

Also no fighting the normalization of "kids are hot" is not tilting at windmills

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    Damn sexy kids.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    hey tonkka what is good

• Options
    It's all good.

Except the being at work part, but whatever.

Supwitchoo?

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    just made a motherfucking PIZZA, yeah!

and later i am going to drink myself retarded and act a fool on tinychat.

• Options
    it's more that I think you're delusional to think that it's being normalized, rather than just being discussed in the open by people who already felt it's okay but would otherwise discuss it in private had the site policy prohibited the sexualization of minors sooner.

• Options
    just made a motherfucking PIZZA, yeah!

and later i am going to drink myself retarded and act a fool on tinychat.

Well then, I will tune in.

• Options
    i am definitely going to get naked and try to make out with the camera

• Options
    edited February 2012
    and fuck it, if you're right then good luck. I don't believe you arguing with a pedophile is going to be the thing that saves anyone from a life of kid-fetishizing, but if the changes in site policy to crack down on that shit aren't enough to stop it, you might as well try your best, right?

That or shut down reddit. I'd be totally okay with that, as it would get rid of the /beatingwomen/ and /mensrights/ subreddits and other noxious shit on there at the same time.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    To be honest, if Buttlord is prepared to take time out of his day and spend it on telling a reprehensible excuse for a human being that he is exactly that, in order to try and make the world just a tiny bit of a better place by attempting to improve the state of discourse on a public forum which I feel has a net negative effect on reality, then I salute him.

• Options
    Solar - there's an argument to be made (weakly, as I have no intention of going to reddit, let alone that thread, so I'm drawing on years of experience with internet arguing) that continuing to argue with someone just gives them more time in the spotlight, and can be counter-productive. Feeding the troll, as it were.

• Options
    IRONY.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    There's also probably an argument to be made that to accept that normalises it in discourse as well

But this discussion is duuuumb so let's stop

Solar on
  • Options
    in closing: fuck reddit.

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Happiness is a warm boner

• Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Oh no, I meant

hot penis is a warm boner

• Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Hey guys let's talk about something happy and positive before the thread is locked!

There's a place in this city that makes banana pudding milkshakes!
    They're pretty good but I still get Oreo.

• Options
    Fearghaill wrote:
    in closing: fuck reddit.

sexxy

• Options
    Happy, positive things eh?

Life is going pretty well for me right now I guess

I take that as a win, given how I often feel!

• Options
    happy things: in the next 3 months I'm buying a house and going to PAX East

• Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    Holy shit you can see edits now

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    also happy: I carried 3 weeks of vacation into last year, left over from 2010. I tried to use some of it up in addition to my entitlement for 2011, but apparently failed as I carried 4 weeks of vacation into 2012. So apparently I need to try even harder to be at work less.

• Options
    Happy thing: Me and the wife are going to able to head to charleston, sc in aabout s week. We've got a sweet ass hotel right on the harbor. Really looking forward to it

• Options
    Happy thing: Me and the wife are going to able to head to charleston, sc in aabout s week. We've got a sweet ass hotel right on the harbor. Really looking forward to it

what hotel and what room number

Just in case there's an emergency

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Fearghaill wrote:
    it's more that I think you're delusional to think that it's being normalized, rather than just being discussed in the open by people who already felt it's okay but would otherwise discuss it in private had the site policy prohibited the sexualization of minors sooner.

Why can't it be both

I mean

The second part can cause the first

In fact it does

Buttlord on
  • Options
    Keith wrote:

"honey, why is there a 10 year old ginger standing on our balcony?"

• Options
    Keith wrote:

"honey, why is there a 10 year old ginger standing on our balcony?"

"Because I told him I would do something and then rescinded the offer. He's come to collect."

• Options
    at which point I grab you by the arm and we escape by rainbow and live happily ever after

This discussion has been closed.