As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] PAX East 2012 Costumes

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    Lols, mandatory weapons policy blurb, tango? /:)

I can't wait to see some of these awesome cosplays. It seems like there should be a meetup at some point for all of us. *shrugs* Ah well.

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • LinkSmashLinkSmash Registered User regular
    What if...the "weapon" is attached to your costume like it's something that's part of a holster and it can't be removed otherwise, like it's not complete as in it's not a whole piece gun, just made to look as such?

• TangoTango Registered User regular
    LinkSmash wrote:
    What if...the "weapon" is attached to your costume like it's something that's part of a holster and it can't be removed otherwise, like it's not complete as in it's not a whole piece gun, just made to look as such?

Well, let's see, here:

"A COSTUME WEAPON IS NOT PERMITTED AT PAX IF:
    - It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)"

Note that I don't specify whether it's in or out of a holster, or attached to a holster, or anything like that. ;-) Therefore, I'm sorry, that wouldn't be okay.

@KellyShepard087 - I think a cosplayers' meetup would be a great idea! I always miss all these neat costumes that I only see pics of later. (No, I wouldn't be attending so I could try and throw people out for policy violations! ;) )

Cool. I had a good idea! Lols.

I wouldnt know where to start to organize something like that. Maybe just a pre designated area/time(s)?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    I...I can't help it.

I must....pony.

So, a Princess Luna is also in my future.

Tango wrote:
    LinkSmash wrote:

Well, let's see, here:

"A COSTUME WEAPON IS NOT PERMITTED AT PAX IF:
    - It looks like a real firearm at "second glance." (Yes, even if it's a kid's toy.)"

Note that I don't specify whether it's in or out of a holster, or attached to a holster, or anything like that. ;-) Therefore, I'm sorry, that wouldn't be okay.

@KellyShepard087 - I think a cosplayers' meetup would be a great idea! I always miss all these neat costumes that I only see pics of later. (No, I wouldn't be attending so I could try and throw people out for policy violations! ;) )

Ah alright....so something extremely whacky then...like the Earthworm Jim gun would be alright?

Yep, that'd be fine. (Also, I think if you did an Earthworm Jim cosplay you might just be my favouritest person ever.)

• NewbieniceNewbienice Registered User new member
    Whiterun Guard Costume
    Most sincere apologies for bathroom mirror pic, but no one was around to help photograph.
    Currently held together with scotch tape, and cloth not adjusted fully, but here is the work in progress. I have buckles and snaps on the way, so it will actually be adjustable and useful.
    I would be wearing a matching yellow sleeveless shirt, it wouldn't be noticeable.
    Shield is also close to completion, it needs to be painted.
    Okqcd.png
    Click for full size.

• RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    February break is in a week. I'll finally have enough of a break from work to put together the Medic costume and Medigun. Progress since last update: Bought a flashlight to make the gun light up.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
    I thought about that for my foam guns, but bbeing my firsts, I decided to stay simplistic.

Progress update: The third, and last, cosplay, my Mass Effect1 crew uniform is all finished. Except the harness which I'm working on now and is half done. I will Post pics as soon as I finish it.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    @manaheim: def keep us posted on where you'll be at PAX! For any of us trying to put together a cosplay portfolio of sorts, this is a great oppportunity!

@KellyShepard087: I would love to be a part of organizing a meet up on any of the days! The first day in particular would be nice because idk about anyone else, but it's always kind of awkward walking in first thing in the morning and being the only one in line wearing a crazy ass elaborate costume haha! I would feel more comfortable meeting up with fellow cosplayers ^_^

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
    Maybe a Friday lunch? I know that Thursday is pretty full with pre-pax events. I saw at Prime that the lobby just before entering the Expo hall was large and mostly empty as people flooded the hall. Is there somewhere like that at East? Just a spot for us to gather, maybe get a few group photos?

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    Friday lunch would probably make for a good meetup. There was a huge room at last year's PAX East, next to the queuing room, that was mostly empty and used only be a few food vendors. If the room's still unused, we could try for there.

I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    Regiment wrote:
    Friday lunch would probably make for a good meetup. There was a huge room at last year's PAX East, next to the queuing room, that was mostly empty and used only be a few food vendors. If the room's still unused, we could try for there.

This sounds like a great idea! I'd be great to do a cosplay meetup.... I just had the weirdest idea to bring several Twister boards, lie them around, and have a collective game of Twister in our costumes. Not saying that as a serious idea, but it's fun to think about.

It's a good idea, but bear in mind that the layout of PAX East in the BCEC is subject to change year by year - maybe this year PA decided it'd be a good idea to turn that room into a GIGANTIC BALL POOL,* for example. Having said that, I think Friday lunch is pretty good timing because, at that time, most people seem to be in the areas they want to spend a good chunk of Friday daytime in. :)

* - This is a lie, but it'd be awesome if it was the truth...

• nevermore13nevermore13 Registered User regular
    Have not checked in for awhile and may not be able to cosplay due to certain constraints, but in case I do I was hoping for some advice. I'm looking for a cheap but very comfortable robe (bathrobe type) that I would be able to die and paint. Anyone have suggestions?

Bathrobe would be the main part of my CTS costume, along with poster tube and hat as mentioned I believe first page of the thread.

• KoalaBro2KoalaBro2 Registered User regular
    Tango wrote:
    It's a good idea, but bear in mind that the layout of PAX East in the BCEC is subject to change year by year - maybe this year PA decided it'd be a good idea to turn that room into a GIGANTIC BALL POOL,* for example. Having said that, I think Friday lunch is pretty good timing because, at that time, most people seem to be in the areas they want to spend a good chunk of Friday daytime in. :)

I hear BYOC is on the main floor this year, so that probably accounts for at least *some* of the giant open space from last year.

Tango wrote:

Lunch sounds great! Is there anything anybody wants thats quick, easy, inexpensive? (Like a Qdoba or Chipotle) :)

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    KoalaBro2 wrote:
    I hear BYOC is on the main floor this year, so that probably accounts for at least *some* of the giant open space from last year.
    There have been some changes, yes. I shall let the individuals whose job it is to officially disseminate that info take the lead on announcing those, though. :)

@KellyShepard - If you're asking what sort of stuff will be in that food area, I have no idea. One place that did occur to me is near the Dance Central stage - a pre-made crowd to see the costumes, plus opportunities for lols in terms of dancing cosplayers? ;)

Tango wrote:
    @KellyShepard - If you're asking what sort of stuff will be in that food area, I have no idea. One place that did occur to me is near the Dance Central stage - a pre-made crowd to see the costumes, plus opportunities for lols in terms of dancing cosplayers? ;)
    Haha! Dancing Cosplayers sounds amazing.
    Did anyone here see the boba-fet/Spartan dance off at the HaloFest VIP party last year. That was epic win.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    DC was awesome last East. Watching the creeper try to manage was hilarious!

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I already know that once I get my costume together, I want to dance to "Sexy and I Know It" by LMFAO.

Tango wrote:
    Yep, that'd be fine. (Also, I think if you did an Earthworm Jim cosplay you might just be my favouritest person ever.)

Then it will be a challenge I must achieve!!!!

• TrustTrust Registered User regular
    Turns out, might not be able to do the 11th doctor as I can't find a jacket that fits :(

However, I do now have a fairly complete/accurate Big Boss/Naked Snake from MGS3 costume.

Win some, lose some...

We Stand Ready
  • Sparda117Sparda117 Registered User new member
    Hey, I just started looking into this and I'm wondering if there is a post / consolidated list that has what everyone is doing since I guess the point of the original post was to help get a bunch of different costumes or minimize repeats. Also, I might try and dress up as Dirk the Daring from a really old arcade game my friend recently showed to me.

You mean Dragon's Lair? That is a great idea!

Also, maybe RainbowTunnel would be amenable to keeping the OP of this thread updated with a list of who intends to cosplay as who?

• MissMoogleMissMoogle Registered User regular
    Tango wrote:

Lunch sounds great! Is there anything anybody wants thats quick, easy, inexpensive? (Like a Qdoba or Chipotle) :)

Oh oh! I vote Qdoba!
    But seriously...I will def attend this cosplayers lunch once we have locked down a time and place.
    Regiment wrote:

This sounds like a great idea! I'd be great to do a cosplay meetup.... I just had the weirdest idea to bring several Twister boards, lie them around, and have a collective game of Twister in our costumes. Not saying that as a serious idea, but it's fun to think about.

YES YES YES AND YES! :D
    I think putting all cosplayers in a ridiculous situation such as twister would result in a photo op of epic proportions haha

Xbox: totobomb
    PSN: totobomb

Add me! :)

www.facebook.com/msmooglecosplay
    Tango wrote:

Also, maybe RainbowTunnel would be amenable to keeping the OP of this thread updated with a list of who intends to cosplay as who?

I hadn't thought of that. Sounds like something I should work on! I'll get right to it.
    MissMoogle wrote:
    I just had the weirdest idea to bring several Twister boards, lie them around, and have a collective game of Twister in our costumes. Not saying that as a serious idea, but it's fun to think about.
    YES YES YES AND YES! :D
    I think putting all cosplayers in a ridiculous situation such as twister would result in a photo op of epic proportions haha

Well if we could amass four or so Twister boards, we should totally do this! I don't have one, unfortunately, but maybe other people would be willing to bring theirs?

• SvKSvK Registered User regular
    I hope all your costumes are flexible and durable, or Twister will be tragic.

• Ghostbusters of NHGhostbusters of NH Registered User regular
    ed8d010386c230abb50fddfba412b0d5.jpg

Be sure to look for us again! I love all the pictures we see from this show, this is without a doubt my most favorite event I do all year!

• feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    I have to do some creative thinking for it, but I think I may add in a third costume: the boy from Limbo. I'd really like to do it with glowing eyes and the rest of me in black.

• That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I got bottom paged so I am going to ask again. Where do you guys get your scifi costume stuff? I am toying with the idea of assembling a starfleet uniform, but I can't find any place that has the DS9/First Contact costume. I am really not one for needle and thread, so I would like to find at least the jacket part.

Have you tried any trekkie forums? They might be a bbetter resource than here for star trek specific cosplay ideas/resources.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
  • JerYnkFanJerYnkFan Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote:
    I got bottom paged so I am going to ask again. Where do you guys get your scifi costume stuff? I am toying with the idea of assembling a starfleet uniform, but I can't find any place that has the DS9/First Contact costume. I am really not one for needle and thread, so I would like to find at least the jacket part.

Try the 1701st website

• deadmeatdeadmeat Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I constructed an elaborate Cl4p-Tp (claptrap) costume for last year's pax east and will be bringing it out of retirement.
    Pix behind the spoiler.
    0225011352.jpg
    0225011926.jpg
    0228011912.jpg
    0228012223.jpg
    imag0004ky.jpg
    imag0023s.jpg
    @ the hotel
    imag0014xk.jpg
    The view from inside
    19599510150122072844081.jpg
    @ pax on the DNF stage with the guys from gearbox.

deadmeat on
  • VolaroVolaro The Iron Gentleman Registered User regular
    Anyone know the best way to make a hanging sign for me to wear? Looking to make a text box for my Pokemon trainer costume. I'm figuring just some cardboard and paint will do, but I'm not sure how big would be a good size for easily readable text from a distance.

• MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    Tango wrote:

I suddenly want to cosplay just for an excuse to get a burrito... That plus watching trigun made me wish I was.

• SkrepoSkrepo Registered User regular
    I'll be going as the 11th Doctor again this year. I'm also working on a cardboard Tardis that might be done in time.

Volaro wrote:
    Anyone know the best way to make a hanging sign for me to wear? Looking to make a text box for my Pokemon trainer costume. I'm figuring just some cardboard and paint will do, but I'm not sure how big would be a good size for easily readable text from a distance.

Just remember to use tape for straight lines and stencils for the letters! Seeing clean-cut text in real life from a game with super blocky font is always the best. As for size, I'd say I have no idea. It's always better to err on the side of bigger rather than smaller, though!

• aerynkellyaerynkelly nothing to see here, move along Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Tango wrote:

I hadn't thought of that. Sounds like something I should work on! I'll get right to it.

Here's some help for you:
    human GLaDOS - RainbowTunnel
    MJ & K'Dash - VideoGameStupid
    Sheik & Lucca - aikoe
    Lando Society - zerzhul
    Moira Brown or Fawkes - tvethiopia
    Cardboard Tube Samurai - nevermore13
    Lookouts/Daughts of the Eyerwood - adastra
    Protoman - Onmitsu
    Adam Jensen? - Imperfected
    Lilith - MidnyghtChilde
    Blue Power Ranger - PinkRanger
    tobli & scrafty & susano - BigDumbHippy
    Big Sister & Kokiri Link - LittleLink
    Alice - nollie, kelsah
    Sev? - RCJ306
    Steve - spiderz13, ChaosLight
    BLU Scout & Malik Al-Sayf - p00t1s
    Lara Croft & Sam Byrne - LadySnip3r
    RED Medic - Regiment
    Tasteless & Jason and Ethan Mars - University Ogre
    Doctor Who cast - ArcadiaExeter
    Leliana - aerynkelly
    11th Dr - Randomfool, Trust
    Dr Wily or Megaman - Lucid_Seraph
    Yellow bird & Cave Johnson - feitocomfruta
    Captain Harlock - Cyant
    Doctor Light - ChimneyImp
    4th Dr - Xerlith
    Jace & Elspeth - ishtra
    Silver & Miror B - TheAsianKnight
    Hawke? - Wikal
    Chomper - Wolfiee
    Nathan Drake - CARTER-A259
    Kelly's Spartan suit & Shepard & ME Alliance casual uniform - KellyShepard087
    Idris - kiki_lou
    Jeanne - TurnedtoGold
    Eldar Farseer - TheRussianFunk
    Superhero villians - RedBerries
    Okamiden & Kumatora - Lokiale
    Ezio - Mikimo
    Ghost (MW2) & Mr Benson or Thomas Bangaltar? - SlayerPath
    MiB or convicts from Dead Rising - General Pengwin
    Arkham City Riddler - MrDapper
    Bigby - GameShark
    Lone Wanderer & Lilith - Loweryi
    Fionna? - Rayze