As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Transformers Movie Thread

• Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    jesus, i always loved shockwave. sycophantic yet badass, evil and purple. what's not to adore?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    aquabataquabat Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I never trusted Megatron because he looked like he had a mullet

Megatron-06.jpg

A mega mullet

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Megatron was always my favorite, because the toy was so bad-ass. It turned into a gun that looked like a real gun. And it had a scope and shoulder brace and a silencer.

I also liked that it was one of the more complicated Transformers, because it gave you a sense of pride when you learned how to transform it quickly.

Linked for H-Scroll

aquabat on
  • Options
    CrimsonKingCrimsonKing Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:
    Megatron was always my favorite, because the toy was so bad-ass. It turned into a gun that looked like a real gun. And it had a scope and shoulder brace and a silencer.

I also liked that it was one of the more complicated Transformers, because it gave you a sense of pride when you learned how to transform it quickly.

Linked for H-Scroll

WANT

CrimsonKing on
    This sig was too tall - Elki.
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

Linked for H-Scroll

WANT

Can you imagine someone trying to sell that now a days? Holy mother of pearl.

Still, bad ass.

Re: Grimlock.

I knew he was something special when I was reading a Transformers comic and Grimlock was left in charge after Prime dissapeared. Something along the lines of "Prime know Grimlock not always agree, but Prime know one thing about Grimlock. Grimlock know how to kill Decepticons."

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

Linked for H-Scroll

Wow. Megatron is packing heat in his robot form and his alternate form he IS the heat.

I have to admit, that's awesome.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    I hope they use the comic book version of Grimlock. He was just so much more fulfilling when he was a tactical genius who disagreed with Prime on just how to win the war against the Autobots.

I believe I've said it before, but the comic's Grimlock was pure awesome. By far my favourite Transformer.

i.r.t. How Megatron was leader of the Decepticons. For one thing, he created the Decepticons. Plus, he was pretty much the most powerful Transformer ever. He was made of very stern stuff, he could shrug off blows that would cripple or destroy weaker Transformers. He was freakishly strong; in hand-to-hand combat he could defeat all the Dinobots together without breaking the robot equivalent of a sweat. And his cannon could blow up a mountain. And finally, he had charisma. In one issue of the comics, Megatron found himself powerless and alone as other robots took over the Decepticons, and by the end he managed to once again become supreme leader of the Decepticons through sheer strength of character.

In DreamWave's pre-Earth-era G1 comics, Megatron turned into a tank. There goes that line of inquiry.

Other neat things Megatron did when he wasn't hampered by the cartoon writers:

-Rebuilt Starscream into a perfectly-loyal servant. (Eventually, of course, Starscream's true personality came to the fore, but it rocked all the same.)
    -Defeated the Predacons (even after they merged to form Predaking), probably the strongest G1 gestalt group, alone.
    -Joined forces with Galvatron, his even more powerful future self. (Twice.) (Also note that this list doesn't even include Galvatron's non-cartoon accomplishments, which under Simon Furman's UK run were vast.)
    -Turned a crushing defeat at the hands (okay, claw-and-cannon) of Omega Supreme into a political victory and wrested total control of the Decepticons back from Shockwave.
    -Became the most accomplished pit fighter in the history of Cybertron.
    -Killed two Primes (though they were in different universes by different Megatrons in this case).
    -Killed Fortress Maximus (thought admittedly he was damaged).
    -Took over Cybertron with a fleet of three million drone warriors.
    -Defeated Grimlock, Jazz, and Bumblebee--and their Pretender shells--almost single-handedly.

The only real reason for Megatron's estoteric Earth form was that he was a ground-based Decepticon in the first wave of Transformers toys--all the ground-based 'cons turned into innocuous (or, in Megatron's case, not a threat in and of themselves) objects--cassette deck, tapes, camera, etc. The original concept was Robots In Disguise, and while jets can fly overhead and no one can see if they have pilots or not, a tank rolling down the street is just a little bit too much of a disturbance to go unnoticed. The most militaristic first-wave Autobot was Hound, and the gun in the back of his jeep mode wasn't always there.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    I dont think they'll put Grimlock and the dinobots into the movie. It'd be too hard to mix themes like that unforunately

Man, I know its a few years away but even if the movie is shit it'll have the best extras on the DVD

aquabat on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    I dont think they'll put Grimlock and the dinobots into the movie. It'd be too hard to mix themes like that unforunately

Man, I know its a few years away but even if the movie is shit it'll have the best extras on the DVD

No, I'm not expecting to see Grimlock, Snarl, Swoop, Slag, or Sludge in any real capacity, but as a springboard to the next movie? Wouldn't surprise me.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:

No, I'm not expecting to see Grimlock, Snarl, Swoop, Slag, or Sludge in any real capacity, but as a springboard to the next movie? Wouldn't surprise me.

Well, it's been pretty much confirmed that the Dinobots won't be in the movie. I mean, even if you disregard the rumours, just based on the official numbers of Transformers in the movie, it's clear the Dinobots aren't in.

Whether they'll be included in the sequel is completely hypothetical, and the first and most important question is whether or not there will be a sequel. It's way too early to tell. If they are included, I hope they find a good explaination for them. I mean, the Arch didn't crash into prehistorical times, the odds of finding complete fossils of five dinosaurs lying around the crash site are pretty much zero, and Marvel's Savage Land... well, let's just keep away from that one.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

Linked for H-Scroll

WANT
    check the "Finish" image. Does he have a cannon in his pants?

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Like I said, I think it'll be mixing styles too much for the Dinobots to be implemented in this movie or any sequel. I dont think robotic dinosaurs fit into the world of Transformers The Movie. I think you'd be more likely to see the Destructicons in there though.

aquabat on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:
    ElJeffe wrote:

Linked for H-Scroll

WANT

Hacksaw on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Well, it's been pretty much confirmed that the Dinobots won't be in the movie. I mean, even if you disregard the rumours, just based on the official numbers of Transformers in the movie, it's clear the Dinobots aren't in.

Whether they'll be included in the sequel is completely hypothetical, and the first and most important question is whether or not there will be a sequel. It's way too early to tell. If they are included, I hope they find a good explaination for them. I mean, the Arch didn't crash into prehistorical times, the odds of finding complete fossils of five dinosaurs lying around the crash site are pretty much zero, and Marvel's Savage Land... well, let's just keep away from that one.

Since we've got almost nine pages of speculation on a movie that we have exactly one two minute trailer, some interviews, and some pics of, I don't think that it'll be a bad thing to ruminate on any sequels.

Yeah, the entire Savage World thing is out of place, but if they do include the Dinobots, I'm sure they'll retcon it to something else. I mean look at the orgins of the Venom organism in the Spider Man movie vs. the comic book.

I think its really going to depend on the type of movie they end up making. If its an actual "robots in disguise" type movie, with the war between the Autobots and the Decepticons fought through proxies moreso than actual open conflict in cities and whatnot, the Dinobots might not have such a place there.

However, if the war is open with ferocious levels of fighting, I could see where the Dinobots would come into play. Since they were the equivalent of the Autobot's Special Forces team, I could see easily where they might require new, unique forms. Its one thing to be concerned about a robotic tyranosaurus coming down mainstreet when you're trying to keep the open warfare on the lowdown. However, if Podunk is kids and screaming mothers running in the opposite direction, while the librarian and the sheriff are burning in the middle of Main Street, I can see where having a robotic tyranosaurus who has two goals in life (A: Fuckstart Decepticon face B: Refer to self in third person at all costs) ripping shit up could come in handy.

And hell, if they just have Grimlock arrive from Cybertron, I'd be happy as fuck. Hopefully they won't fall into the X Men trap if they do turn this into a sequel.

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2006
    I just had this image of two-story robots, fighting in the middle of a downtown metropolis with all the momentum a two-ton car would carry with it.

I cannot fucking wait for this movie.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123023092

Thar be video there. No Transformers there, but lots of army guys running around

aquabat on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I just had this image of two-story robots, fighting in the middle of a downtown metropolis with all the momentum a two-ton car would carry with it. And then Spider-man came flying in to try and stop both of them.

Fix'd

subedii on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Complete fossils of five dinosaurs lying around?

Sounds like the sort of thing you'd find a museum.

[spoiler:73606eb883]Yes, yes, those aren't real fossils, shut up[/spoiler:73606eb883]

Garthor on
  • Options
    Saiyan ChampionSaiyan Champion Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Re: Grimlock.

I knew he was something special when I was reading a Transformers comic and Grimlock was left in charge after Prime dissapeared. Something along the lines of "Prime know Grimlock not always agree, but Prime know one thing about Grimlock. Grimlock know how to kill Decepticons."

See, this is why I fucking love Grimlock.

Saiyan Champion on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    aquabat wrote:

Thar be video there. No Transformers there, but lots of army guys running around

"This part of the movie is set in the Middle-East."

You know, I was just wondering the other day, "what could destabilize the Middle-East more than it currently is"? And, well, two armies of giant alien robots fighting there is pretty much the only thing left.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

You know, I was just wondering the other day, "what could destabilize the Middle-East more than it currently is"? And, well, two armies of giant alien robots fighting there is pretty much the only thing left.
    Heh, I'd imagine that would do quite a bit to stabilize the region. You know, give them a common enemy or something.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Coldred wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Heh, I'd imagine that would do quite a bit to stabilize the region. You know, give them a common enemy or something.

They already do that.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Dublo7 wrote:
    Crayon wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    I can't believe that truck with flames on it will be Optimus Prime. Through all incarnations of the character, Optimus has had a red body. They can't possibly screw that up.

Laser Optimus...which is possibly one of the best TF's ever made...in toy form.

Edit: So if Bonecrusher is in the film...does that mean we'll be able to see...you know...

[spoiler:fa2e4cad58]DEVASTATOR[/spoiler:fa2e4cad58]
    That would be damn awsome. Then Metroplex comes along and they have a big massive brawl.

Metroplex would fuck him up. He's a damn city. But anyway.....this film makes me very happy. In my special place.

Karl on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Coldred wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Personally, I can see the Decepticons taking the form of American war vehicles (such as the already confirmed tank and Raptor) then blowing a bunch of civillian villages to kingdom come. Then while the whole region destabilizes into all out war, the Decepticons then steal all the oil while everyone else is focused on killing each other.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    Coldred wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Personally, I can see the Decepticons taking the form of American war vehicles (such as the already confirmed tank and Raptor) then blowing a bunch of civillian villages to kingdom come. Then while the whole region destabilizes into all out war, the Decepticons then steal all the energon while everyone else is focused on killing each other.

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    Coldred wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Personally, I can see the Decepticons taking the form of American war vehicles (such as the already confirmed tank and Raptor) then blowing a bunch of civillian villages to kingdom come. Then while the whole region destabilizes into all out war, the Decepticons then steal all the energon while everyone else is focused on killing each other.

In the G1 comics, they got energon from oil somehow. The Autobots had an ally who was an oil tycoon, who provided them loads of oil for free. Because if there's one thing oil company execs are known for, it's their unbridled generosity and unequalled kindness.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ColdredColdred Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    In the G1 comics, they got energon from oil somehow. The Autobots had an ally who was an oil tycoon, who provided them loads of oil for free. Because if there's one thing oil company execs are known for, it's their unbridled generosity and unequalled kindness.
    Combine that with the "Carbombya" thing and Transformers takes on a whole new sinister undertone.

Coldred on
    sig1-1.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    subedii wrote:
    I just had this image of two-story robots, fighting in the middle of a downtown metropolis with all the momentum a two-ton car would carry with it. And then Spider-man came flying in to try and stop both of them.

Fix'd

Please, please don't mention issue #3.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Richy wrote:
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    Coldred wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Anything that provided energy could be turned into the cubes. The cubes were just their super efficient storage mediums.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    BYToady wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    Coldred wrote:
    Richy wrote:
    aquabat wrote:

Anything that provided energy could be turned into the cubes. The cubes were just their super efficient storage mediums.
    And super volatile. Seriously, the stuff was like nitroglycerine, you'd think that a highly advanced race of giant robots could figure out a way to store it in a container that wouldn't explode violently at the slightest jolt.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    When your skin is made of titanium, you don't mind the occasional explosion.

I bet they threw cubes at each other in highschool like in any other food fight.

BYToady on
    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    BYToady wrote:
    When your skin is made of titanium, you don't mind the occasional explosion.

I bet they threw cubes at each other in highschool like in any other food fight.

I just imagined a Transformer getting one in the face and it blowing up, revealing a mechanical skeleton underneath, then him laughing "OH YOU!" and hurling a cube himself

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    My screenwriting teacher wrote The Transformers animated movie. Did people generally like that?

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited July 2006
    My screenwriting teacher wrote The Transformers animated movie. Did people generally like that?
    Your teacher has a very dark, twisted and murderous mind.
    [spoiler:03fd1997d5]Dare to be stupid![/spoiler:03fd1997d5]

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006

Your teacher taught a lot of kids about the pain of life.

aquabat on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Your teacher gave me nightmares for years. Fucking Optimus Prime turning black and gray and his head falling to the side.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Zodiac BraveZodiac Brave Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    So... no? ;)

Zodiac Brave on
  • Options
    SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    So, supposedly they're going for the long-nosed semi-truck because they want to make Optimus Prime huge (they're not doing the "something really big from something really small," ie. Megatron from a gun and Soundwave from a tape recorder). Apparently using the original design didn't give them the height they wanted.

What I'm wondering though, is if they're going to make Megatron a tank, won't that make him significantly shorter then Prime? Granted, he can still be dangerous and lethal, but coming out shorter then the Autobot leader kinda makes him look less imposing.

SpeedySwaf on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    SpeedySwaf wrote:
    So, supposedly they're going for the long-nosed semi-truck because they want to make Optimus Prime huge (they're not doing the "something really big from something really small," ie. Megatron from a gun and Soundwave from a tape recorder). Apparently using the original design didn't give them the height they wanted.

What I'm wondering though, is if they're going to make Megatron a tank, won't that make him significantly shorter then Prime? Granted, he can still be dangerous and lethal, but coming out shorter then the Autobot leader kinda makes him look less imposing.

Is there any confirmation that he definitely is a tank though?

aquabat on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    SpeedySwaf wrote:

Depends on the tank. Depending on its design, they might be able to buy some extra height by combining the clamshell trick with a few others.

Now, me, if I was trying to make Optimus Prime, I'd just give him something to attach to his vehicle mode that'd provide the height and some extra things adde don.

yalborap on