As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(¯`º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º SPARKLE MOTION [CHAT]!!!! º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º´¯)

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Inquisitor wrote:
    The combat of gw2 does still seem very WoWish to me.

It is by far my largest concern with the game still.

I dunno, it's a hotkey game but you're always moving, proximity to enemies is important for control, players can combine skills with one another (firing arrows through a wall of fire).

I mean you don't have to say WoW, you can pick any MMO and your post means the same thing.

that's because they all play like WoW.

MMOs before WoW played like WoW!

well, yeah. But as the most well-known example, it's now naming that type of gameplay. S'how these things work.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    And then we find out that GW2 is really WoW. And it is WoW all the way down.

If this happened...

if I downloaded the game and played it and after I made a character and tried one dynamic event it confronted me and with vicious teeth sandwiched between curled lips peeled the mask from its face and underneath was WoW...I would kill myself.

It would be incredible to watch this happen. Thrall comes out and tells you for the whole game you will be running Molten Core every single day of your life. AND YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO QUIT.

I would never play another MMO again. Even when we had brain computer interfaces and MMOs became reality simulators I would still shun them.

You didn't realize you are actually in hell. This is the elevator trip down.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WoW Virus has infected the internet code! Every computer in the world with internet access can only run WoW!

then I would abandon the internet, and become a healthier, happier, more succesful person who got laid more.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    mmo's before wow were awful

except for UO

exp loss after a death? no respecs? SO MUCH FUN

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Gooey I will not let you join my guild.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote:
    mmo's before wow were awful

except for UO

exp loss after a death? no respecs? SO MUCH FUN

I cant get no respec! </dangerfield>

• Options
    Man Star Trek really likes the blue light spikes.

• Options
    jousting show is boring

• Options
    I swear when I hear about GW2 it just sounds like DAoC's combat. Outside you were constantly interrupted if you were hit while casting. DAoC had pretty amazing combat for the time.

But this is rose colored glasses speak.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    seriously i imagine the design meetings for wow were something along the lines of

"So, let's make an MMO that is actually fun to play. Any objections? Rodney, I see your hand is raised. Get out, and shave your neck. Also try breathing through your nose every once in a while."

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    I liked DAoC but I didn't level up enough to do PvP.

• Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    Gooey I will not let you join my guild.

T_T

why you gotta do a thing sarks

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Gooey wrote:
    seriously i imagine the design meetings for wow were something along the lines of

"So, let's make an MMO that is actually fun to play. Any objections? Rodney, I see your hand is raised. Get out, and shave your neck. Also try breathing through your nose every once in a while."

Yet, we got WoW.

• Options
    You are unclean.

• Options
    if I make an MMO

then a bullet, arrow, stabbing or railgun sabot round would be a bullet, arrow, stabbing or railgun sabot round and could kill you even if a level 1 player did it

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Guild Wars, more like Guild WoWs

• Options
    look i am not saying that wow is a good game

i am just saying it is a slightly less worse game than every other mmo ever

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    oh and there would be tits

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    if I make an MMO

then a bullet, arrow, stabbing or railgun sabot round would be a bullet, arrow, stabbing or railgun sabot round and could kill you even if a level 1 player did it

permadeath as well, to truly mimic real life

can't make another character unless you're buddhist

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote:

When did you play it? The best pvp groups were 20-25 and then the normal pvp from 45-50. And they added the whole get to level 20 through a command thing ages ago.

The pvp was an experience I haven't really seen replicated since. The pve was poop from a butt.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    those are the two things I am going to include: it being possible for a level 1 player to kill a high level one, and tits

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    a certain i dont know what

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Kant was so obsessed with unity, even though (perhaps because?) he understood he could never perceive the whole...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

When did you play it? The best pvp groups were 20-25 and then the normal pvp from 45-50. And they added the whole get to level 20 through a command thing ages ago.

The pvp was an experience I haven't really seen replicated since. The pve was poop from a butt.

I played in like 2002/2003. And yeah, level 20 was what I was quoted but I was only playing the game with my guild while we were waiting for Shadowbane's beta to start so I quit DAoC before I hit 20.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Real death in an MMO.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Wolfenstein is a pretty OK game. Getting around the hub is annoying because of the Nazis, and there isn't enough ammo for the two energy weapons. Other than that, it hits all the standard FPS game shit that I enjoy.

• Options
    you die in the game, YOU DIE IN REAL LIFE

DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNN :whistle:

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Real death in an MMO.

if you die in our game we stop sending you the antidote

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Real death in an MMO.

A good way to get rid of all the WoWheads.

• Options
    Gooey wrote:
    look i am not saying that wow is a good game

i am just saying it is a slightly less worse game than every other mmo ever

You said they set out to make a fun game!

They failed!

Hisss!

• Options
    edited February 2012
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Real death in an MMO.

if you die in our game we stop sending you the antidote

I laughed.

edit: I feel like a dick for just "I laughed."

So, I have no idea how perma death would work in a MMO that doesn't have mods blocking accounts 24/7.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    Though I will admit I had a lot of fun leveling up with my guildies in a group. Have a ton of fun just talking and hanging out while pulling and kill the same mobs. The game was a good time chat room at those times.

Didn't hurt I had good guildies and a couple have become real life friends. Niche game and all meant small community so shaming of assholes and such was successful.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    DAoC was where I learned about ding.

• Options
    scaledphpserver683filen.jpg

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I'd get into Eve and high-level alliance politics if I didn't know that real life politics involves way more beer and gets you laid way more often

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

I played in like 2002/2003. And yeah, level 20 was what I was quoted but I was only playing the game with my guild while we were waiting for Shadowbane's beta to start so I quit DAoC before I hit 20.

I was n the Shadowbane beta. That game was poop from the butt. Great idea though, just poor execution. I liked the idea though.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
  • Options
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:
    Sarksus wrote:

I was n the Shadowbane beta. That game was poop from the butt. Great idea though, just poor execution. I liked the idea though.

what kind of poops from butts are only lacking in execution, instead of just being all poop

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    scaledphpserver683filen.jpg

I don't understand the reference but, going by the nerd aura surrounding this picture and text, this is great.

• Options
    I lurk in the PA EVE game thread. I haven't played since 2006. Still kinda like it/ interested.

It's so pretty now! Just the players are mostly dicks and the game play is watching a spreadsheet of what you might be able to do in a years time.

Don't get me started.

This discussion has been closed.