As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Your IQ

Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Not sure if this is the right forum for this, if not feel free to burn my ass.

Anyway, what's your IQ? http://uk.tickle.com/test/iq.html According to that, mine's 131. Yeah, I know that IQ can be a flawed way of measuring intelligence and all, but I'm just curious as to what the great minds of PA can do.

Muramasa18 on

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    I'm everything between 110 and 154, depending on how much thinking I felt like doing for a particular test.

It's a shitty way to measure intelligence anyway.

Echo on
  • Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Echo wrote: »
    I'm everything between 110 and 154, depending on how much thinking I felt like doing for a particular test.

It's a shitty way to measure intelligence anyway.

Especially via informal internet test.

Whichever test they gave me when I was a kid, to get into the "gifted and talented" program claimed I had a 162, which is pretty good I guess, but I don't put much stock in it.

Vincent Grayson on
  • FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My IQ is roughly equivalent to my postcount

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    My IQ is roughly equivalent to my postcount

33,120?

Echo on
  • AgemAgem Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Internet IQ tests are wildly inaccurate and stupid. Depending on which test I took, I've seen an 80 point gap in results. And I'm sure that whichever the ones which were close to being correct (I know my IQ, but don't care to post it here any more than I would SAT scores or something) were were so close by coincidence. They're all crap.

Also, one time I took an IQ test and purposely answered every question wrong - meaning my score on the test was 0 - and it still gave me an IQ of like 85 or something. Yeah, if someone can't answer even one of your stupid shape-matching questions they probably have an IQ way the hell lower than 85. That's not even retarded.

Agem on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    IQs are fun numbers, but that test is absolute shit. I administer and interpret these things for a living; if you want a decent test, look to the WAIS for adults and the WISC for anybody from age 6 to age 18. Either of those, or the RIAS.

Seriously, lock this thread, that test is ridiculously insipid.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ah! I'm all over this thread.

That test gave me 136. The one my username is based on was a proper MENSA test I did when I was an annyoing smatr-arsed child. I doubt I'd do so well nowadays.

Also, my username annoys me and I wish I could change it but apparently I can't.

Edit: yeah, also IQ tests are stupid anyway.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    Well, we can discuss actual IQ tests and why this one was retarded.

I got a 140, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any questions. I'm also pretty sure that that number has little to do with my actual IQ. I like tests like that, though. They're fun. I just don't pretend that I'm gaining anything meaningful from them.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited July 2007
    Paul_IQ164 wrote: »
    Also, my username annoys me and I wish I could change it but apparently I can't.

If you ask Tube or Ramius, they could probably change it for you. It does instill me with a deep desire to punch you in the face and steal your lunch money.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »

I got a 140, but I'm pretty sure I didn't miss any questions. I'm also pretty sure that that number has little to do with my actual IQ. I like tests like that, though. They're fun. I just don't pretend that I'm gaining anything meaningful from them.
    Sorry ElJeffe, the 140 that test determines your entire future. You may as well just stop trying in life now because everything from this point on has already been decided.

Agem on
    edited July 2007
    Agem wrote: »

Sorry ElJeffe, the 140 that test determines your entire future. You may as well just stop trying in life now because everything from this point on has already been decided.

As long as it's decided that I'm going to be rich and famous, I can live with that.

ElJeffe on
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah yeah I know they're a bad way to measure intelligence, no need to get grumpy about it guys.

I also know a free internet IQ test doesn't mean anything. I'm just doing something to fill in my boredom.

Muramasa18 on
    edited July 2007

As long as it's decided that I'm going to be rich and famous, I can live with that.

Well, 140 is well above the average, IIRC, so you should be destined for better things than stolen cars being abandoned in your driveway.

Vincent Grayson on
  • 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Got 140 too and I was only unsure with one question.

12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You know, I've never ever taken one. Part of me is curious, but part of me expects any value between 80-150 and I then I wonder what it'd actually tell me.

If the result was really low it could prove interesting.

"My, my, Ed, you have such an interesting grasp of the arts-"
    "I've got an IQ of 57! HA! Take that, you pretentious prick! You've been talking to a moron!"

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited July 2007
    12gauge wrote: »

Was it the "Bob likes 400 but doesn't like 300" one? That was the one I sorta-kinda guessed on. I went with 1200, because it seemed more like the ones he liked, but I couldn't pin down what, exactly, made it work.

ElJeffe on
    edited July 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    You know, I've never ever taken one. Part of me is curious, but part of me expects any value between 80-150 and I then I wonder what it'd actually tell me.

"I've got an IQ of 57! HA! Take that, you pretentious prick! You've been talking to a moron!"
    70 or so is considered clinically retarded

I don't think you'd get that far before they noticed

Agem on
    edited July 2007

Was it the "Bob likes 400 but doesn't like 300" one? That was the one I sorta-kinda guessed on. I went with 1200, because it seemed more like the ones he liked, but I couldn't pin down what, exactly, made it work.

I went with 1000, it seemed clear that he liked multiples of 4, but not 3.

edit: Maybe not, now I can't remember. Oh well, LOLSTUPID.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited July 2007
    Well, 140 is well above the average, IIRC, so you should be destined for better things than stolen cars being abandoned in your driveway.

Or perhaps the test is a big, fat liar.

ElJeffe on
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I believe everyone I've ever met has gotten exactly 140 on internet IQ tests.

Octoparrot on
  • Paul_IQ164Paul_IQ164 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I thought he liked square numbers only. Can't really remember.

Paul_IQ164 on
    But obviously to make that into a viable anecdote you have to tart it up a bit.
    Tetris: 337214-901184
    Puzzle League: 073119-160185
    edited July 2007

But 3600 was a multiple of 3, and 3700 wasn't.

ElJeffe on
    edited July 2007

I'm talking me. Taking a test. Getting a result that is in no way indicative of my cognitive abilities.

Unless the stress and morale loss melts brains if you screw up in exam conditions and score low D:

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Man, I did the entire test in the OP, and when I finished, it just gave me a full-screen ad. I went back and clicked the Finish button again, and it sent me back to the start. Fuck. I'm sure I got them all right, too.
    Paul_IQ164 wrote: »
    I thought he liked square numbers only. Can't really remember.

This is correct.

His Corkiness on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The thing with IQ tests is that I get distracted very easily.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Though it has to be said, I just did the one at http://www.iqtest.com/ and got exactly the same, 131.

Muramasa18 on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love that when you're finished they try and sell you something for 20 pounds that has your official IQ number in it. What would you even use that for? I'd love to go into an interview with that document, slam it on the table, and exclaim that I am way overqualified for their position due to my weighty intellect.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited July 2007
    Man, I did the entire test in the OP, and when I finished, it just gave me a full-screen ad. I went back and clicked the Finish button again, and it sent me back to the start. Fuck. I'm sure I got them all right, too.

They force you to sit through 3 or 4 full-screen ads before they relent and tell you your score.

ElJeffe on
    edited July 2007

I'm talking me. Taking a test. Getting a result that is in no way indicative of my cognitive abilities.

Unless the stress and morale loss melts brains if you screw up in exam conditions and score low D:
    You're not going to get a result that is in no way indicative of your cognitive abilities. IQ isn't the end-all metric to intelligence some people think it is, but there's a strong correlation between being someone most people would consider smart and getting a higher score, or being someone most people would consider stupid and getting a lower score.

I also can't imagine why someone would be stressed about an IQ test. I guess if they think they're smart but are really insecure about it? Or maybe they really, really want to make the cut for MENSA?

Really, the only benefits to getting a high score on an IQ test (not to being smart, but specifically taking a test and getting a high number) are access to clubs like MENSA, maybe some advanced classes in grade school, and maybe a self-esteem boost if it means a lot to you for some reason.

Agem on
  • Dance CommanderDance Commander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Missed the two big buttons that said "Skip this ad?"
    Poor measure of intelligence indeed. I wouldn't even call this an IQ test, since much of it is subjective and if you're familiar with common sayings you'll pick up a lot of the questions without using your brain at all.

Dance Commander on
    edited July 2007

They force you to sit through 3 or 4 full-screen ads before they relent and tell you your score.

Ah. Wish I'd bothered to think of that before doing the exact same thing. That kind of action shaves twenty points off my potential IQ, I'm sure... fortunately I use a browser with a back function. 140! I don't believe that.

Slow Ed is slooooooow edit:
    You're not going to get a result that is in no way indicative of your cognitive abilities...

I'm just famously bad at exams. Really. I'm a local legend about these parts! I could manage to fail remedial English if I put my mind to it...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    An "average" IQ is centere at ~100 in the majority of tests. There are the odd non-standard drawing, speed, and input task tests that average at about 90 nowadays. Ideally though, it all follows the bell curve.

Much to the contrary of most people in this thread, though, IQ tests are not bunk. The simple ones are bunk, but the full scale tests are quite useful and moderately accurate. I test kids, primarily looking for ADD, and the good ones take into account things like attention and selective learning when calculating the overall IQ, so that you can't come out with the classic condition that most people complain about: "Well, my IQ is probably higher, I just wasn't paying attention/didn't care enough to bother with it." That's bullshit whenever somebody says that.

The way they buff these things are with a mixture of observation and multiple tests over similar traits of intelligence. One thing is pretty consistent though, and that's that verbal, written, and language intelligence are the best predictors of actual intelligence. High overall IQ scores correlate directly with language skills, but not necessarily with math, perception, or speed skills. You can also translate language skills into music skills with fairly consistent results.

Visual-motor integration is also a good predictor of IQ, though not as consistently as language, which is likely due to the myriad of neuromuscular problems or autoimmune problems that can interfere with fine motor performance. A good measure of this aspect of intelligence is the Beery VMI (visual-motor integration!), which tasks children with reproducing, as close as is humanly possible, a series of fairly simple shapes and figures. It's a drawing test, basically, but its rigorous scoring methodology makes it very accurate and useful.

Seriously, any questions about IQ tests, I'm right here. The biggest problem with the tests is that age is a deciding factor in score. It's still used, but has been normalized more carefully since the days of Piaget and the earliest people that dealt with the concept of an IQ number.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

3600 = 60 x 60
    100 = 10 x 10
    400 = 20 x 20

Therefore he likes 900 (aka 30 x 30)

And yes, breaking apart the test... it's pretty bad. 136 seems to be very, very prevalent from the test, just based on a simple google search.

Pjstelford on
    edited July 2007
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    3600 = 60 x 60
    100 = 10 x 10
    400 = 20 x 20

I feel really stupid for not getting that.

ElJeffe on
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    IQs are fun numbers, but that test is absolute shit. I administer and interpret these things for a living; if you want a decent test, look to the WAIS for adults and the WISC for anybody from age 6 to age 18. Either of those, or the RIAS.

Seriously, lock this thread, that test is ridiculously insipid.

Ah, the good old Wechsler, I've taken 3 of them. Two WISC's and one with the WAIS-III when I was 20. I don't have any first hand experience with the RIAS. I wasn't really keen on taking the WAIS-III, but I had to because the anal people at Mensa had some problems with the way my WISC's were proctored, so I had to take another test that met their criteria, before they let me in back in 2002.

Although, I must say, that I haven't really gotten a whole lot out of my membership, outside of an awesome low interest credit-card. But some of the get togethers are rather fun, of course the goings-on in Mid-America Mensa might just be banal and quaint compared to those in more populated areas.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    So I'm taking the test right now, and one of the questions is "Inept is the opposite of what?"

The answer is "skillful," except they only spelled it with one "L."

The creators of this test are inept.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Gnasty wrote: »
    So I'm taking the test right now, and one of the questions is "Inept is the opposite of what?"

The answer is "skillful," except they only spelled it with one "L."

The creators of this test are British.
    Fixed.

His Corkiness on
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

140 is genius level according to the IQ people. 'Course this test seems to be handing that number out like Pez, inevitably because they're trying to con you into paying them to give you a report to show all your friends that you were smart enough to get conned into paying money for a number.

Senjutsu on
    edited July 2007
    Pjstelford wrote: »

3600 = 60 x 60
    100 = 10 x 10
    400 = 20 x 20

And yes, breaking apart the test... it's pretty bad. 136 seems to be very, very prevalent from the test, just based on a simple google search.

Yeah, I definitely missed that one, but got 140, so I guess the rest of you must missed one I got right or something. I wonder what the max is on that test.

Vincent Grayson on
    edited July 2007
    Well, they do ask for your age and gender- something tells me that's more likely to do with marketing and information-gathering than being integral to any test. Although getting that question wrong in a real IQ test would be... different.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png