As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Black Prism/Blinding Knife Discussion

Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
So there is this guy named Brent Weeks, and he writes a really good fantasy book. It's called:

388px-TheBlackPrism_cover.jpg

I mean it's a really good book. So good, that there is going to be more. In fact, the sequel, The Blinding Knife is going to be coming out in a few months. Excerpts from the sequel have been posted on the author's site. Anyways what is this book about and what makes it so special? It follows Gavin Guile, who is the prism, the most powerful person in the world. Really there is nothing you can say after that, that won't spoil it. The book is written really well, like Patrick Rothfuss well, and the twists approach the ASOIF level. The world is extremely well fleshed out, and revolves around a color-based magic system. One might be skeptical hearing that, especially if you suffered through Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker. But rest assured everything in this book has a purpose and if you are even remotely interested in fantasy and politics oh god go get this book and start reading.

If you really need to know more you can read this very spoiler-lite wikipedia background section:
he Black Prism is set in a pre-industrial fantasy milieu, albeit more advanced than most, with gunpowder weapons and widespread use of simple machines such as pulleys and gears. The story takes place in "The Seven Satrapies, 7 semi-autonomous countries surrounding a large sea, each ruled by a leader known as a satrap. Each satrapy has considerable independence, but is under the loose control of a federalist central government. The government has three branches - The White, the Colors, and the Prism, and is located at the Chromeria - also the seat of education and regulation for the color magic on which the series is based. The seven satraps owe allegiance to the Prism, who is the representative of the god Orholam, on earth. Though the Prism is technically the ruler of the seven satrapies, he has the least official governing power of the three branches. Prisms typically die (or "start to lose their colors") after their 7th, 14th or 21st year serving. Only one person a generation is supposed to have this power, however the two Guile brothers, Gavin and Dazen, both claim to be Prism. Since both demonstrated the same abilities, neither was less legitimate. Gavin was older, and thus considered Prism by default, and used this status to claim that Dazen was a fraud. As Gavin was not the nicest person, this did not sit well with those who would rather Dazen be Prism--or Dazen himself, for that matter. A devastating war resulted, culminating in a pitched battle in the satrapy of Tyrea. At this battle, Sundered Rock, Gavin defeated and killed Dazen, stopping the war. Tyrea was devastated, with almost all the men killed and its fertile farmland destroyed.

This thread is to encourage people looking for good fantasy to read this and for those who have read it to discuss it. Since the book and series (Lightbringer I guess he is calling it) are so new please keep everything in spoiler tags for now.

Discussion and spoilers
I really need to get the next book because I want to see Kerris and Daven's next conversation so bad. Also is anyone else hoping Kip stops oscillating from self-esteem issues to blind-revenge mode soon? I hope the whole next book is not Daven never finding out about the dagger.

Lady Eri on

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i read his previous series, and while it was good trashy fun i wouldnt exactly categorise it as serious fantasy... are his new ones notably better?

obF2Wuw.png
  • Lady EriLady Eri Registered User regular
    i read his previous series, and while it was good trashy fun i wouldnt exactly categorise it as serious fantasy... are his new ones notably better?

I can not speak to his old series, but this one is pretty solid. World is built with Wheel of Time detail, but written with ASOIF twists. If I had to choose a prose it most resembles Name of the Wind.

• zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I read the first one of the previous series and jumped ship midway through Shadow's Edge. "Good trashy fun" is like, way too kind.
    Something pretty amazing needs to happen for me to pick up another book of him again.

Edit: If this was a thread on the new series only....then sry, I haven't read those. Maybe he's really, really, really improved.

zeeny on
  • Tiger BurningTiger Burning Dig if you will, the pictureRegistered User, SolidSaints Tube regular
    edited February 2012
    I read the first book of the previous series and agree that it was pretty awful. Lazily crafted, with too much 'telling' and too little 'showing'. Still, fantasy beggars can't be fantasy choosers, I suppose. The name "Gavin Guile" does not inspire confidence, however.

Tiger Burning on
    Ain't no particular sign I'm more compatible with
    edited February 2012
    I really havent read his other series, but there is a lot of depth in this. Keep in mind nobody really wants to read GRRM's Wild Cards but they are still there. Search the forums with the book title in quotation marks. There are no bad comments I assure you. So in the interest of not muddling the topic further lets concentrate on the series at hand. Which I promise you is gold.

Lady Eri on
  • JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    Unlike apparently everyone in this thread, I've actually read both of them.

The Way of Shadows is not very seriously written. The main reason to keep reading was to find out what new crazy thing was going to happen in the next chapter, because there always was something to qualify. He basically threw a bunch of fantasy stuff into a pot and stirred it a lot. I liked it a lot, but not as a serious read.

The Black Prism is a lot more focused. It's got a pretty unique magic system, and it feels a lot more character-driven than the event-driven style of his first series. There's a pretty large amount of backstory that's doled out over the course of the book and some very decent worldbuilding. It's got at least one great plot twist that I didn't see coming at all. I think it deserves a second chance from a lot of you who are dismissing his earlier work.

bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
    See I am not crazy!!!!!1

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i like those exclamation marks

obF2Wuw.png
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Brent Weeks writes balls to the wall crazy action, and is enormous fun. I couldn't put any of them down. I think his world building is very interesting.

The Night Angel series is pretty... I don't know, strange maybe? It's a bit grimdark, but sort of upbeat. It begs for more stuff set in the same universe because there are loads of plot threads that start but are unfinished at the end of the book. I loved it, but highbrow it is not. It is in no way subtle about anything it does, you know the bad guys are bad because of the sledgehammer-like literary devices, like, the fact that they hit poor people with sledgehammers.

The Black Prism was really good too - certainly a more complex book than the Night Angel trilogy. But suffered from the self-loathing fat teen angst which continues throughout the whole thing.

I didn't know the next book was only months away, I am pumped as hell.

EDIT: I don't know if it's GRRM level stuff, and I haven't read Rothfuss. I mean, it's so radically different it's sort of incommensurate. It's like comparing Drive to ...I don't know, Taken, or The Matrix or something.

Also, @Lady Eri didn't you say something similarly hyperbolic about the Acts of Caine series?

EDIT2: I recommend all of these to every fantasy inclined person I know. Amusingly, a bunch of people also have them recommended by the bookstore employees ("Seriously dude, try this. TRY IT!" is what I often hear reported.)

EDIT3: I just saw a "book trailer" linked from Brent Week's site. What the hell is a "book trailer"? That was lame.

Anyway, the thing that is most interesting to me about the book is:
    The wights. I want to know much more about wights.

Apothe0sis on
  • PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Book trailers are everywhere these days. Every book has one.

I've yet to see one that didn't make me cringe.

A minute ago I didn't know book trailers exist and I felt so much better;o/

• themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Bought based on OP.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Bought based on OP.
    :^:

Book trailers are everywhere these days. Every book has one.

I've yet to see one that didn't make me cringe.

They make no sense. NO SENSE.

Also this trailer seemed odd given that at no point was the main character a buff black guy, but was instead a fat white guy with floppy hair.

• NoughtNought Registered User regular
    i like those exclamation marks

"Five exclamation marks. Clearly the product of a madman".

On fire
    Island. Being on fire.
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    I like to see good things said about Black Prism. I haven't read it (it's sitting on a shelf around here somewhere), but I enjoyed the other books by Weeks (as pulpy fun, I won't call them quality fiction) and like hearing that this one is better.

Maybe I'll read it at some point before the next one comes out.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I appreciate that he fully fleshes out the mechanics of how magic functions within his novels.

I have no idea what Acts of Caine are....
    I talk about Fringe a lot, but not really anything else.

edited February 2012
    Lady Eri wrote:

Then I apologise, I have you confused with someone else.

I haven't read the Acts of Caine series, but I hear they are quite good. Even if its fans exalt it with such an offputting po-faced earnestness.

EDIT: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/137613/acts-of-caine-the-best-damned-fantasy-youve-never-read - apparently I am a sexist who can't tell female posters apart.

Apothe0sis on
    In other news, this has inspired me to reread the Black Prism, so this thread is a great success.

Apothe0sis wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

I haven't read the Acts of Caine series, but I hear they are quite good. Even if its fans exalt it with such an offputting po-faced earnestness.

EDIT: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/137613/acts-of-caine-the-best-damned-fantasy-youve-never-read - apparently I am a sexist who can't tell female posters apart.

The Acts of Caine are what the Hunger games wanted to be.

Apothe0sis wrote:
    The wights are a very interesting part, are they really insane, or only some of them? And what's the deal with Kerris' brother?

I also have a theory that the real Gavin is going to die as the prism at the 21 year mark and then Daven will begin his first year for reals. Though it depends, I suppose, how long they plan to stretch out the books if its a couple months or years timeframe or longer.

Lady Eri wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    The wights are a very interesting part, are they really insane, or only some of them? And what's the deal with Kerris' brother?

I also have a theory that the real Gavin is going to die as the prism at the 21 year mark and then Daven will begin his first year for reals. Though it depends, I suppose, how long they plan to stretch out the books if its a couple months or years timeframe or longer.
    I don't even care if the wights are insane or not, the idea that some of them are not is obviously hugely interesting - I'd be satisfied with more about how their halo breaking effects them. Like, the blues try to remake themselves entirely of luxin motivated by a strangely twisted rationality, what do all of the others do? What about polychromat wights? More information about the different properties of the drafters in general would be interesting - like, like, the blues are rational and calm, reds are fiesty, oranges are social and slippery etc... I eat that kind of categorization up.

I'm not sure about the two-prism problem. It is almost certainly a product of my... anti-religious leanings, but my immediate thought was the religion is a fraud, and that the theology is part pious fraud part social/political control scheme. The reason there can be two prisms is the theology that explains their origins is wrong. I also suspect that the Blinding Knife is the tool that the White uses to control the Prisms, and the reasons Prisms start losing their colours rather than a spontaneous degeneration.

Obviously, I am concerned about Gavin losing the ability to bend a particular colour, and I am hoping that this gets fixed before too long. I really do not care for power loss stories as a whole, I find them frustrating.

I am also noting that Superviolet drafters are considered the weakest drafters. This I believe will become a plot point (i.e. that they are actually crazy powerful in another way) for three reasons - 1. Gavin and Liv's conversation wherein he demonstrates to Liv the subtleties and uses of the Superviolet, it's made an explicit point between them, 2. Liv's angst over being being merely a superviolet and her low status and power, combined with her defection to the forces of Omnichrome who can clearly teach people a thing or two about drafting 3. Ultraviolet light has the shortest wavelength and is the most energetic of the near-visible spectrum.

Please remember that I am only just getting around to rereading the book, so my ideas may well be contradicted by the text due to hazy memory. Has it been confirmed that Kip is also a Prism yet? Because that's my probably only too obvious prediction.

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Lady Eri wrote:
    I really havent read his other series, but there is a lot of depth in this. Keep in mind nobody really wants to read GRRM's Wild Cards but they are still there. Search the forums with the book title in quotation marks. There are no bad comments I assure you. So in the interest of not muddling the topic further lets concentrate on the series at hand. Which I promise you is gold.

Night Angel is very good. Highly recommended. However, it isn't for everyone.

Lady Eri wrote:

I agree. Reading the tvtropes for Night Angel confuses and enrages me wherein people did not get it.

Apothe0sis wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

I agree. Reading the tvtropes for Night Angel confuses and enrages me wherein people did not get it.

If the movies are ever made they're going to need to tone it down a lot. Would be better off being an mini-series for each novel on Starz or HBO.

edited February 2012
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

If the movies are ever made they're going to need to tone it down a lot. Would be better off being an mini-series for each novel on Starz or HBO.

It's begging the be continued though, like, the whole thing about:
    Vi and the Chantry

But yes, in a hypothetical series/movie:
    The krul, ferali and ferozi alone would be impossible to get onto the screen without creating worse controversy than The Human Centipede

Apothe0sis on
    edited February 2012
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

Vi and the Chantry

The krul, ferali and ferozi alone would be impossible to get onto the screen without creating worse controversy than The Human Centipede

Actually I was concerned about the human morality issues
    the raping of Jarl in the beginning, prostitution being front & center, women from the conquered Cenaria lining up to the Sa'kage to be prostitutes in lines that go for as far as the eye can see to survive in the new status quo, Vi's fanservice, the Sa'Kage being amoral criminal overlords. There's plenty more I'm forgetting. It's got to rival Game of Thrones or surpass that with violence & sexuality. Which is not going to fly with a big budget movie.

Harry Dresden on
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

Vi and the Chantry

Actually I was concerned about the human morality issues
    the raping of Jarl in the beginning, prostitution being front & center, women from the conquered nation lining up to the Sa'kage to be prostitutes in lines that go for as far as the eye can see to survive in the new status quo, Vi's fanservice, the Sa'Kage being amoral criminal overlords. There's plenty more I'm forgetting. It's got to rival Game of Thrones if not surpass that with violence & sexuality. Which is not going to fly with a big budget movie.
    Weeeelll, all of the man-rape happens off screen, the results of Doll Girl's beating would probably be difficult. But yes, you are correct about it not being movie workable

edited February 2012
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Weeeelll, all of the man-rape happens off screen, the results of Doll Girl's beating would probably be difficult. But yes, you are correct about it not being movie workable
    You're right it did happen off-screen. But Azoth did hear the sounds while it was going on. Which might even make it worse for viewers.

Doll Girl's appearance will be difficult to execute, too. I wonder whether her scarring would effect how many actresses that would be lining up for the part. I expect an unknown or lesser known actress would be fine with it. Anybody else is going to want changes so they can have some beauty. The studio might want to lessen the scars to appeal to viewers, as well. I can't even remember any big budget movies with a lead actress that has a role which is terribly scarred.

Harry Dresden on
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    I'd probably say that the Black Prism was pretty good, it's certainly not top tier stuff. As someone said earlier, fantasy beggars can't be fantasy choosers.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
    edited February 2012
    tbloxham wrote:
    I'd probably say that the Black Prism was pretty good, it's certainly not top tier stuff. As someone said earlier, fantasy beggars can't be fantasy choosers.

Fantasy has plenty of good material to read in the genre.

Harry Dresden on
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:

I don't even care if the wights are insane or not, the idea that some of them are not is obviously hugely interesting - I'd be satisfied with more about how their halo breaking effects them. Like, the blues try to remake themselves entirely of luxin motivated by a strangely twisted rationality, what do all of the others do? What about polychromat wights? More information about the different properties of the drafters in general would be interesting - like, like, the blues are rational and calm, reds are fiesty, oranges are social and slippery etc... I eat that kind of categorization up.

I'm not sure about the two-prism problem. It is almost certainly a product of my... anti-religious leanings, but my immediate thought was the religion is a fraud, and that the theology is part pious fraud part social/political control scheme. The reason there can be two prisms is the theology that explains their origins is wrong. I also suspect that the Blinding Knife is the tool that the White uses to control the Prisms, and the reasons Prisms start losing their colours rather than a spontaneous degeneration.

Obviously, I am concerned about Gavin losing the ability to bend a particular colour, and I am hoping that this gets fixed before too long. I really do not care for power loss stories as a whole, I find them frustrating.

I am also noting that Superviolet drafters are considered the weakest drafters. This I believe will become a plot point (i.e. that they are actually crazy powerful in another way) for three reasons - 1. Gavin and Liv's conversation wherein he demonstrates to Liv the subtleties and uses of the Superviolet, it's made an explicit point between them, 2. Liv's angst over being being merely a superviolet and her low status and power, combined with her defection to the forces of Omnichrome who can clearly teach people a thing or two about drafting 3. Ultraviolet light has the shortest wavelength and is the most energetic of the near-visible spectrum.

Please remember that I am only just getting around to rereading the book, so my ideas may well be contradicted by the text due to hazy memory. Has it been confirmed that Kip is also a Prism yet? Because that's my probably only too obvious prediction.
    I think it's almost certain Kip is a prism. I never really thought about the whole thing being actually bogus though and the knife a tool to artificially get rid of Prisms.

• OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    I do enjoy the reveal that fake-Gavin has been trolling Gavin for fucking years.

• schussschuss Registered User regular
    I wouldn't call Warbreaker "suffering". I thought it was a good book.

• Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    tbloxham wrote:

People keep talking like the two series are bad or sub par. They really arent.

They are better than Okay, but definately not Great. They are still Good.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
    tbloxham wrote:

People keep talking like the two series are bad or sub par. They really arent.

They are better than Okay, but definately not Great. They are still Good.

Agreed.

• valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    zeeny wrote:
    Apothe0sis wrote:
    Lady Eri wrote:

The Acts of Caine are what the Hunger games wanted to be.

Heh. I like that description. Also Acts of Caine get the :^: from me. I'm a fan.

I will check this out based on the OP. sounds right up my alley given the authors referenced

valiance on
    I agree that it is too good to call the series great, but the first book was definitely good, and if the second keeps up the quality and tempo I could see this developing a pretty big cult following.

Though color magic like this would not translate well to the TV/movie screen.

Lady Eri wrote: »
    I agree that it is too good to call the series great, but the first book was definitely good, and if the second keeps up the quality and tempo I could see this developing a pretty big cult following.

Though color magic like this would not translate well to the TV/movie screen.

How does the magic work exactly? Why do you think it would be difficult to adapt?