As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Last Story: Out now in the other part of the world! The packaging is class!

• ZephiranZephiran Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote:
    It makes me wonder how the Wii U is going to handle virtual console games over HDMI, which run at 240P. So it will probably do some kind of scaling, looking like one of those Wii2HDMI adaptors.

Well, lord knows. It should have enough juice under the hood to scale most games, but I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Alright and in this next scene all the animals have AIDS.

I got a little excited when I saw your ship.
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Zephiran wrote:
    eobet wrote:
    God damn, with Xenoblade and now this, it's rather sad that the Wii U won't upscale any games.

Well, there are always those Wii2HDMI adapters, but considering I can get a component cable for a quarter of the price of on HD adapter, their pricing seems a bit steep. They're supposed to work alright, but I'm not sure if the device itself actually does any HD scaling.

Awesome. I had no idea these types of devices existed. However, the reviews for them (that I found so far) are atrocious, as they only seem to compare it to component cables and only verbally describe the picture quality with no image comparisons at all. I know these can't increase the resolution of the source output (480p) but can it at least pixel double it, so all edges can be sharp instead of blurry, despite the lower resolution?

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
    edited February 2012
    eobet wrote:
    Zephiran wrote:
    eobet wrote:
    God damn, with Xenoblade and now this, it's rather sad that the Wii U won't upscale any games.

Well, there are always those Wii2HDMI adapters, but considering I can get a component cable for a quarter of the price of on HD adapter, their pricing seems a bit steep. They're supposed to work alright, but I'm not sure if the device itself actually does any HD scaling.

Awesome. I had no idea these types of devices existed. However, the reviews for them (that I found so far) are atrocious, as they only seem to compare it to component cables and only verbally describe the picture quality with no image comparisons at all. I know these can't increase the resolution of the source output (480p) but can it at least pixel double it, so all edges can be sharp instead of blurry, despite the lower resolution?

Well, my general understanding of the device is that it's more intended for a certain sub-group of people who have a TV that is too "modern" to do Wii games justice - essentially, they've got a screen that just makes a big mess of everything that isn't plugged into the HDMI socket. It seems it's in those instances where the thing comes most in handy, but obviously people with a different setup may benefit from it as well.

Take a look at this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOQ1rr8yqO0

It's filmed with a camera, but it's a full length user review with some shots of both component and HD Adapter TV pictures. It's not really as useful as it could be, but it gives at least a general impression.
    Notice the XENOBLADE and the FINNISH SWEARWORDS.

Zephiran on

• RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    The dude comments that the Wii2HDMI fucked with his colors, so he switched back to Component.

• RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    I will give basically any RPG where you can dress them up a chance, it's my one weakness.

it's half the reason why that boring grindathon RoF was tolerable

• Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I've played some absolutely bad rpgs that had fully customizable appearance to completion and beyond, sometimes sacrificing stats and survivability for looks.

Xenoblade, not a bad RPG in the slightest, had me in Dunban's regular dress uniform for a long time despite it being almost immediately outdated. I know some people who played the entire game looking like that.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    So..any word on whether or not the Limited Edition is worth it?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Depends on your definition of worth. For £38/€59 excl. shipping (that's £8/€14 more than the standard edition) you get this:

The-Last-Story-Limited-Edition-Contents.jpg

(not the full soundtrack fyi)

TheLastStorysteelbookblog.jpg

The steelbook is shinier than the Wii case cover, but it does have a reversible cover. The Xenoblade limited edition has more overall value as it includes a CCPro, but I already have one, so yep, preordering the limited edition for the steelbook.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    I did preorder the limited edition but I must have left it too late as my order was cancelled today. So I'm having to stick with the normal edition, which I was planning to get before I found (or someone linked to) a place selling the LE cheaper than where I usually shop online.

my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
    Lucky, lucky old Germans.

V0Gug2h.png
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Limited Edition preordered from Zavvi. It feels strange ordering an import from a UK store, but I suppose that's what you get for studying abroad.

Shit that steelbook is sexy. I almost don't give a shit about the soundtrack, just gimme dat shiny.

Also, just so you know, I'm calling dibs on Syrenne when multiplaying. Maybe Mirania.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Honestly, I hate steelbooks, but damn if that isn't nice.

Might ask my buddy to get me the Limited if he can find a decent price on it.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    I ordered the Limited because I figured if I'm paying to import it, I might as well go all the way.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    edited February 2012
    I ordered the Limited Edition through a linear combination of ooh shiny and shut up and take my money!

Totally an impulse buy based on the fantastic experience I had in Xenoblade Chronicles. After that, I'll import every last damn JRPG on the Wii if it makes Ninty listen.

EDIT: The XenoChron Collector's Edition red controller was entirely worth the premium.

Huggles on
    Huggles wrote:
    The XenoChron Collector's Edition red controller was entirely worth the premium.

But goddamnit colour matching it with your other Wii paraphernalia is so fucking hard.

*anal retentive tantrum*

edited February 2012
    I've got a white wiimote, the gold one that came with Skyward Sword, a red classic controller and a black charging station with black rechargable batteries.

My Wii setup looks like the forecourt outside Honest Joe's Used Car Sales.

Huggles on
    ITT first world problems

V0Gug2h.png
    I considered getting a 25th Mario Anniversary Red Wii for the red CCPro that came with Xenoblade, but then I figured I'd just buy the regular version of Xenoblade and forego those plans entirely.

Now I'm kind of looking at getting the Goldeneye LE Golden CCPro to go with my Skyward Sword Wiimote, but those are fuckhard to come by these days.

Maybe I should just give my Wii to someone else and buy one of those black Sports Resort+ versions before all of those vanish from store shelves too. It'd go with my black CCPro and induction charging stand, and it'd be the easiest to come by.

But goddamnit if The Last Story LE package won't be mine.

• FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Glad I didn't import then!

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
    If we're lucky, we'll get that awesome limited-edition tin thing like Europe.

Ferquin N.C. Root
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Wouldn't that have meant we would also get some sort of limited edition for Xenoblade? I think they will just give us the game and we should be grateful that they decided to bring it over here.

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited February 2012
    I'm grateful. It'd be just extra neat if they threw us a bone for LE's too.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
    Different publishers.

V0Gug2h.png
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    Eh, I'll stick with my import Limited Edition pre-order.

25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
    It'd be funny if Xseed changes the British voices to American voices.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I would love us to get that LE version. Can't wait for this. :D

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    Woke up, checked email. "Your order for 'The Last Story' has been despatched and will be with you shortly." Me: Awesome.

Browse internet for a bit. "Xseed localizing The Last Story in NA for 2012".

Well, shit. Guess it really doesn't matter.

Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
    Shiiii I got an email saying I can pick it up right now.

V0Gug2h.png
    Guess I'll wait for the US version then. <3 XSEED

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Who's got two thumbs and a copy of The Last Story's Limited Edition? This forum user.

Anyways, haven't found the time to play it yet, but I thought it interesting that the steelbook has got place for two discs. I can only assume this is so you can keep the game and soundtrack CD in the same place.

Oh man, XSEED are some trolls aren't they?

Nevertheless, good on you North American PA:ers! Most of you probably preordered the European version already, but I'd say this was the most desirable outcome anyway. Now, time to start hyping this game some more!

I was this close to ordering the Euro version. But I need some time to get through some games I already have anyway, AND as I posted earlier, <3 XSEED.

I'm pretty anxious to see the first week sales figures for the game later on, I hope it gets lots of love. France is supposedly full of entrenched Sakaguchi-philes, maybe it can get some real French-style romance there?

What's this? Order dispatched? <3 Zavvi.

• WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    So, here I am, playing the tutorial, when I go into the options menu to fiddle with the camera controls (I prefer my Y Axis inverted, thank you very much).

Turns out you can play around with everybody's colour schemes right from the word go. And you can save up to 10 custom-made colour schemes, which you can, if you like, apply to whichever character you like if you prefer a more uniform look. Sadly you can't save 10 colour schemes per character, but eh.

Yeah, in case it wasn't obvious already, I too like dressing up my characters in RPGs.