As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Canadian Dinner - Pre Pax!

degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geekRegistered User regular
edited August 2006 in PAX Archive
So... is anyone working on this? I have yet to see a thread/discussion about this. Cause, like it's only 6 weeks before PAX.

Just putting it out there... you know... :)

degreesplatinum on

• Options
    TrillianTrillian Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    well I'm down

Trillian on

They cast a shadow like a sundial in the morning light. It was half past 10.
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited July 2006
    Not sure if any on my crew will be able to commit to this. We're arrive later wednesday night, and being touristy all thursday, which means we most likely won't be near the hotel or convention centre that night.
    And well, Friday I intend to be in line for most / all day. Eating is sort of secondary.

Plus it was sounding to me like a lot of the West Coast folks aren't coming early.

Might be a big hassle to organize, with not so great attendance. That said, if someone does sort of plan it, Let me knwo when and where, and I'll try to come out.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    My crew is rolling in Friday morning, so we won't be able to.

Azio on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'd say a pre-PAX breakfast is in order, as my crew won't be in until around ninish on the 24th.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Azio wrote:
    My crew is rolling in Friday morning, so we won't be able to.

Same as my crew.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Then we shall have Pre-PAX Breakfast/lunch/brunch/food

Is anyone going down the night before???

Trillian on

• Options
    cSpoogecSpooge Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:

i'm driving to Van City (from calgary) on the thursday and staying overnight at my uncles to save money... I think im going to head down to seattle so i can make it there for 12 or 1 pm.

cSpooge on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    cSpooge wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

i'm driving to Van City (from calgary) on the thursday and staying overnight at my uncles to save money... I think im going to head down to seattle so i can make it there for 12 or 1 pm.

hmmmmmm

if you're driving to Seattle by yourself it'd be easier and cheaper to take the bus. Come with us on thursday! :D

Trillian on

• Options
    edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    cSpooge wrote:
    Trillian wrote:

hmmmmmm

if you're driving to Seattle by yourself it'd be easier and cheaper to take the bus. Come with us on thursday! :D

nah 2 of my friends are coming with me... and I WILL NEVER TAKE A BUS AGAIN... i took a bus for 19 hours to winnipeg WORST experience ever.

cSpooge on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Jesus christ. I looked up Calgary in Google Maps.

There's like 10 rail lines in town, but none of them go more than 50 miles outside the city. What the fuck kind of infrastructure is that? What was Calgary? A mining town or something?

Edit: Oil

Edit2:

Air Canada, if bought right now, is $ 1230.72 but wait!. That's for three people, includes all fees, and doesn't factor in any Air Canada miles you can beg/borrow(/steal?) from friends/relatives.

Individually, this breaks down as... 410.24. Goddamn.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Well, if this gets enough interest from the canucks, I could set something up.

degreesplatinum on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    Jesus christ. I looked up Calgary in Google Maps.

There's like 10 rail lines in town, but none of them go more than 50 miles outside the city. What the fuck kind of infrastructure is that? What was Calgary? A mining town or something?

Edit: Oil

Edit2:

Air Canada, if bought right now, is $ 1230.72 but wait!. That's for three people, includes all fees, and doesn't factor in any Air Canada miles you can beg/borrow(/steal?) from friends/relatives.

Individually, this breaks down as... 410.24. Goddamn.

Calgary is an oil town, and most of the train tracks in the city are LRT line (subway system). As for real rail lines, there are a couple that go through. CPs main office is in downtown Calgary. Yeah its fucking expensive in Calgary atm.... housing prices have almost doubled in the last year and everything is getting fuck tonne expensive because of the high oil prices (i think there is something like 50 or 60 oil companies in calgary).

cSpooge on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2006
    You guys do know that a Pre-PAX dinner is being worked on for all pre-paxers on thursday night. The restaurant is going to be announced tomorrow now that the survey is closed (I just noticed that myself or I would have said something before yesterday), I suppose if you don't like the choice you don't have to go but you should know about this.
    Link go here now
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1073822641&start=25

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2006
    Pre-PAX dinner: Thursday night

Canadian Food Outing: Friday afternoon pre-PAX

Canadian Dinner: Possibly Friday Night

Sound like a plan?

Trillian on

• Options
    edited July 2006
    Trillian wrote:
    Pre-PAX dinner: Thursday night

Canadian Food Outing: Friday afternoon pre-PAX

Canadian Dinner: Possibly Friday Night

Sound like a plan?

works for me... we should all meet up and go for lunch at like 12 or 1 on the friday.

cSpooge on
  • Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    That sounds like a plan.

KetBra on
    KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    but.... the line up?

degreesplatinum on
  • Options
    eclypsedeclypsed Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    I'm in on this if it goes down!

We got two cars (ok.. one is a truck) from Calgary heading direct to Bellevue. We cross at Abbotsford and go down through Sumas, much better then the hellish Vancouver crossing. Busing down would definitely suck like dude said, wouldn't recommend, but we find its a fun 12 hour drive if you just book it hardcore.

eclypsed on
    dynsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Lucky Bastard, only have a fun 12 hour drive. My crew is driving from Saskatoon, and stopping in Edmonton to pick up some more friends. Last year, with stops, and a brief period of driving the wrong direction It took us about 20ish hours of driving. That's a fun road trip. ^^

Unknown User on
  • Options
    eclypsedeclypsed Registered User regular
    edited July 2006
    Well you certainly aren't taking the MOST direct route then. :)

eclypsed on
    dynsig.png
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Indeed. I've got a car full (5 of us) and were coming down from the Okanagan, going to the PNE/Vancouver Fair on wed before PAX, then heading to PAX thursday.

Will be in thursday afternoon so we have time to determine how far our hotel is from the center and buy food cuz our hotel has a fridge and stove.

Therefore all Canadian eating plans that take place after like 6 on thursday are good...

And I have to agree the best crossing is Sumas, I used to live in abby, and it's never that busy unlike Everywhere further towards Vancouver, so if you are coming from Abby and all points north or east of there, it's better to cross at Sumas, than go further into the lower mainland.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited July 2006
    Indeed. I've got a car full (5 of us) and were coming down from the Okanagan, going to the PNE/Vancouver Fair on wed before PAX, then heading to PAX thursday.

Will be in thursday afternoon so we have time to determine how far our hotel is from the center and buy food cuz our hotel has a fridge and stove.

Therefore all Canadian eating plans that take place after like 6 on thursday are good...

And I have to agree the best crossing is Sumas, I used to live in abby, and it's never that busy unlike Everywhere further towards Vancouver, so if you are coming from Abby and all points north or east of there, it's better to cross at Sumas, than go further into the lower mainland.

You know, next year you guys need to consolidate into the West Canadian Supertrip or something, it would only make sense.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    QuizMasterQuizMaster Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:

You know, next year you guys need to consolidate into the West Canadian Supertrip or something, it would only make sense.

That's what was said last year.

QuizMaster on
  • Options
    ctishmanctishman Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Well if you fuckers would actually do it, we'd quit bugging you.

ctishman on
    WCTT_banner.gif
    Get the PAX 2008 Countdown widget and while away your sad, pathetic life watching it tick down the hours to PAX '08!
    http://homepage.mac.com/ctishman
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    ctishman wrote:
    Well if you fuckers would actually do it, we'd quit bugging you.

Yeah, we can't do it, we're not in canada.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Well we here in Canada are far too lazy to organize such an event cuz it's harder than you'd think. It's our laziness crossed with our need to save money and not drive very far due to outrageous gas prices.

As we do pay more for gas than then you do. In BC we're paying on average (this is the last months price trend and I am factoring in US$/G) $3.70-$3.75 per gallon, whereas in Washington state the average gas price is around $3.00 per gallon.

And it's always like that : we're almost always paying around 20% more for gas... so we're often more inclined to pay for a plane ticket and use public transit to get places :p

Anyway. Whether or not we have a 'super trip' still has nothing to do with Fooding plans which is what this thread if for.

I want more info on the Canadian fooding! I must know how much more money I need to spend on said fooding by having an idea of where we shall eat, or if we are at least just meeting at a specific time to decide things in person on the evening of the 24 or morning of the 25.

I know I won't go to a lunch as the door open at 2 and I know form past experience that the line up even for prereg still starts around 10am if not before. It did last year and the year before. A breakfast somewhere Friday would be good to me, like a 9am fooding somewhere with french toast or something.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    if there's a meal gathering in Abbotsford before crossing the border, I recommend the Smitty's on Sumas Way.

and with the hassle I'm having trying to plan things right now, you can be sure that there will be a Western Canada trip next year.

b0wser on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    b0wser wrote:
    if there's a meal gathering in Abbotsford before crossing the border, I recommend the Smitty's on Sumas Way.

and with the hassle I'm having trying to plan things right now, you can be sure that there will be a Western Canada trip next year.

THANK YOU!

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited August 2006
    Moe_Fwacky wrote:
    b0wser wrote:

THANK YOU!

good luck to whoever's organizing the Western Canada Supertrip

degreesplatinum on