As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wiz-War Tournament] Game 2 - This war is over (stever777 WINS)

ObiFettObiFett Use the ForceAs You WishRegistered User regular
edited March 2012 in Critical Failures
Game 2

Welcome to the maze.
The Game has started. Get your counter-spell orders in now.

READ. THE. RULES.

And the FAQ.

Some changes to the above to make it playable over a forum
Counter-Spells - Because no one wants to have to wait for everyone to say whether or not they will counter any given spell by another player, all players will instead queue up their counter/reaction spells with conditions. For example, if I had a Full Shield (Counter any spell targeting me) in my hand I could queue it up by saying "Cast only if someone targets me with an attack that does damage" or "Cast if someone targets me with any spell" or "Cast if someone targets me with [specific spell]". These conditions can be as specific, multi-tiered, and creative as you want them to be. These should be PM'd to me once you get your starting hand/draw new cards and can be changed whenever and as often as you like. If you don't set anything up for your counter-spells, they just simply won't get played when its not your turn.

Turns - Turns will also be PM'd to me. You will have 24 hours after the previous player turn is posted for you to PM me your turn (this may change based on various factors or majority player demand). Your PM will contain the exact movement and timing of all the castings of your spells. Because there are counter-spells, however, if something gets countered in the middle of your turn, then it gets countered and your turn will continue on. In order to account for this, you can put conditionals in your turn order. For example, "Move down, Cast Lightning Bolt targeting Red Wizard. If lightning bolt is countered, then transform into Gnome and move Up, Up. If lightning bolt is not countered, then cast Fire Wall on right side of A-4 and move Up, Up." These can be as complicated or as simple as you want/need them to be.

Communication - All communication should be done in this thread. No PMs. Absolutely no sharing direct information about your cards.

READ. THE. RULES.
If you need clarification on any rules or cards, send me a PM.

The Current Maze Status:
Game2-23.png

Tayrun (Stunned 1 turn)
VP - 1
Life - 13
Cards in Hand- 5
Sustained Spells/Held Items:
Blue Treasure
WizardBlade - While carrying this item you may use this sword to channel energy into a magical attack that targets an object or wizard. You may discard 1 magic card to deal magical damage equal to the discarded magic card's energy value. Wizardblade deals 1 crack per point of damage you inflict (rather than 1 crack per 3 points)
PowerStone - Magic Stone : While carrying this item, you increase the energy value of all Magic cards you play to boost your speed or spells by 1. If you suffer any fire damage, all magic stones you are carrying are destroyed.

stever777 WINS
VP - 2
Life - 8
Cards in Hand- 4
Create Door
Null Powder | Item | Any | Permanent | While carrying this item you may discard this item as a counter spell to cancel a LOS spell targeting you. OR While carrying this item, you may discard this item during your turn to end a non-instant spell.
Brainstone | Item | Self | Permanent | Magic Stone : While carrying this item your maximum hand size is increased by 2. First time you cast or acquire Brainstone, immediately draw two cards. If you lose the Brainstone, immediately discard two cards. If you suffer any fire damage, all magic stones you are carrying are destroyed

jdarksun
VP - 0
Life - 6
Cards in Hand - 5
Rosebush
Blue Treasure
Speedstone | Item | Self | Permanent | Magic Stone : While carrying this item, you increase your base move by 1. If you suffer any fire damage, all magic stones you are carrying are destroyed.

Bedlam
VP - 1
Life - 13
Cards in Hand- 3

Good Luck!

ObiFett on

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Does the lightning mean anything? I notice only blue and red have it.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    The boards are double sided and the lightning is how you differentiate between which side is the old version and the new version of the board. Purely cosmetic.

Ah. slight complaint that it makes it a bit harder to see where the doors are but I think I can manage.

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Reading the rules!

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote:
    Reading the rules!

Ditto.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Note: as we discovered in game 1, your board is missing its portals. Imagine there is a set of portals connecting A2 with J7 and another connecting A7 with J2. They will magically appear sometime soon.

This map should now be updated with portals. If you don't see it, just refresh the page.

I think I'm ready to get my a** kicked. :whistle:

Definetly ready. Even though it looks like I go last so theres plenty of time to plot.

Just waiting on Tayrun and (I think) jdarksun to ready up.

Just realized that maybe I wasn't totally clear, but you control the wizard that is the same color as your name in the OP.

ObiFett wrote:
    The boards are double sided and the lightning is how you differentiate between which side is the old version and the new version of the board. Purely cosmetic.
    re-reading the rules it seems like you're supposed to use the same side for all four sectors.

edited February 2012
    Too late. :-) Honestly I can't see it making that much of a difference balance-wise and this way we get very different boards across all games.

ObiFett on
    edited February 2012
    Double post, stupid phone.

ObiFett on
    BANZAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

edited February 2012
    Teleportation sickness did a number on the four wizards brought in to the maze. After recovering, each wizard takes a moment to check out their surroundings before making any movements.

Finally, Tayrun makes a move. Tayrun summons a Powerstone in one hand, to give more energy for future spells, and the mighty Wizardblade in the other hand. Time to do some damage. Tayrun boosts and heads towards the nearest non-red area seen. With an enemy treasure conveniently around the corner, Tayrun doesn't hesitate and picks up the green treasure.

actual orders:
    I'd like to equip the powerstone and the wizardblade,
    then use Glue(3) for 4 energy (3+powerstone) to speedily run to green's nearest treasure chest and pick it up.
    Then draw 2 cards please.

updated map and players:
    Game2-2.png

Player Status and Turn Order:
    Tayrun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 4
    WizardBlade - While carrying this item you may use this sword to channel energy into a magical attack that targets an object or wizard. You may discard 1 magic card to deal magical damage equal to the discarded magic card's energy value. Wizardblade deals 1 crack per point of damage you inflict (rather than 1 crack per 3 points)
    PowerStone - Magic Stone : While carrying this item, you increase the energy value of all Magic cards you play to boost your speed or spells by 1. If you suffer any fire damage, all magic stones you are carrying are destroyed.
    Green Treasure (doesnt count against hand size)

stever777 <- Current Turn
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5

jdarksun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5

Bedlam
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5

stever777 feels an immense surge of creation energy. That originator of that much creation energy either needs to be avoided or stopped before they get too powerful. But which one to do...

ObiFett on
    What are the stats on those? (Should they be in the item list?)

edited February 2012
    Held items and non-map changing maintained spells are listed in the player status list. Stats for those two are in particular are listed under Tayrun's name in the player status.

Dropped items and map changing spells are listed in that box next to the map.

ObiFett on
    Thanks; missed that change.

edited February 2012
    Question: Can wizards move past one another?

*ring ring* The answer is yes.

Bedlam on
    Orders in.

edited February 2012
    stever777 senses the massive surge of creation energy head north. "Might as well check out what was left behind", he thinks as creates a Spellstone, hoping for inspiration at some point. He decides to boost and heads towards the energy source's original location. Walls, walls and more walls are all he comes across. Sick of walls, stever777 concentrates and makes himself immaterial long enough to pass through one wall. And jackpot! stever777 finds and picks up a Red Treasure.

actual orders:
    Spellstone equip.
    Energy (5) speed boost.
    Move to J4.
    Pass Through Wall to enter J5.
    Pick up treasure.
    Draw 3 cards.

updated map and players:
    Game2-3.png

Tayrun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 4
    Green Treasure

stever777
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5
    Spellstone - Magic Stone : While carrying this item, you may draw 1 extra card each turn, although you still may not exceed your maximum hand size. If you suffer any fire damage, all magic stones you are carrying are destroyed.
    Red Treasure

jdarksun <- Current Turn
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5

Bedlam
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5

jdarksun senses danger right outside the nearby green door. Fight or flight...

ObiFett on
    Bottom of page 10 says squares can be diagnally adjacent. Which is weird because thats not how I learned it in other games.

That's a misprint.
    http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/767353/adjacency
    This is, unfortunately, a rules-editing error on my part. Diagonal is NEVER adjacent. This will be in the FFG FAQ on the next rev (very soon).

You do have LOS to that door, yes. (Checked by a line drawn from the dot in your location to the center of the door; that line doesn't intersect with a wall or column.)

You'd be adjacent if you moved one space down, then.

SHOULD HAVE GONE WITH MY GUTS!

jdarksun wrote:
    So I have LOS but I'm not adjacent?

Yes.

edited February 2012
    jdarksun chooses flight and boosts. He springs to the door and locks it. With magic. Then jdarksun runs through the nearby portal hoping to escape this crazy maze. He is greeted with only more of the same stone floor and walls, except this time everything is giving off a feint blue hue. Exploring further reveals a blue treasure that he picks up.

actual orders:
    1) Time Passes

2) Move and Cast
    * Discard Energy (4) for Speed Boost (3 + 4 = 7).
    * Move south one square to D7 (6 moves remain).
    * Play Seal Door on the door that separates D6 from D7.
    * Move north five squares to I2 (1 move remains).
    * Move west one square to I1 (0 moves remain).

3) Discard and Draw
    * Draw two cards.

updated map and players:
    Game2-4.png

Tayrun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 4
    Green Treasure

stever777
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5
    Spellstone - Magic Stone : While carrying this item, you may draw 1 extra card each turn, although you still may not exceed your maximum hand size. If you suffer any fire damage, all magic stones you are carrying are destroyed.
    Red Treasure

jdarksun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand - 5
    Seal Door
    Blue Treasure

Bedlam <- Current Turn
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5

Bedlam has now heard three separate shouts for joy as other entities have discovered something awesome. He feels a little left out and goes searching for the awesome...

ObiFett on
    Orders in.

edited February 2012
    He got three, check out what he is holding:

ObiFett on
    Its all in what you do with them. ;-)

After looking at your cards, you have some pretty good ones. They just will have to be used creatively.

And the game is far from over.

jdarksun wrote: »
    Turn sent to ObiFett.

Oh yeah. That portal-thingy kinda connects us, doesn't it? :zzz:

edited February 2012
    Bedlam wanders around a bit and finds nothing awesome. He is sad

actual orders:
    Move up, right, and down ending movement in square C3
    Draw two cards
    End turn twiddling fingers, and being slightly depressed

updated map and players:
    Game2-5.png

Tayrun <- Current Turn
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 4
    Green Treasure

stever777
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5
    Red Treasure

jdarksun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand - 5
    Seal Door
    Blue Treasure

Bedlam
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 7

Tayrun is amazed that no one has reacted to his giant burst of magical energy. I guess its time to return this treasure...

ObiFett on
    edited February 2012
    Orders in. Also, I'm male. Sorry to disappoint.

Tayrun on
    I think I assumed/knew that, but your avatar had me subconsciously typing in third person like you were a female.

sorry!

It's cool. I'm trying not to think too hard about why I decided to keep that avatar.

edited February 2012
    Tayrun boosts, aided by his powerstone, as close to where he needed to drop off his treasure. Unable to make it as quickly as possible, Tayrun , drop some Tacks and a raging battlecry to slow down any pursuers.

actual orders:
    I'd like to use Pick Lock to boost up to 7 energy.
    Heading to G8.
    drop the Handful of Tacks.
    Head back to my home square.
    Then let out a raging battlecry.

updated map and players:
    Game2-6.png

Tayrun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 4
    Green Treasure

stever777 <- Current Turn
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5
    Red Treasure

jdarksun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand - 5
    Seal Door
    Blue Treasure

Bedlam
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 7

stever777 wonders how he is going to get this treasure back to his zone...

ObiFett on
    Orders in.

stever777 boosts and heads back to his zone only to hear the sounds of an intruder on the other side of a wall. In his zone! How dare he/she/it! He creates a door, summons a large rock and opens the door just enough to throw the rock at the intruder. The Green Wizard barely got turned around before the Large Rock hit him square in the jaw and fell to the floor. "Get off my lawn!", stever777 yells as he shuts the door.

actual orders:
    Energy (6) speed boost.
    Move to I3.
    Create Door on I3's western wall
    Create and throw Large Rock thru the door at jdarksun.
    Large Rock | Item | LOS | Permanent | While carrying may throw for 2 damage, drops in target square after being hit
    Close door.
    Draw 3 cards.

updated map and players:
    Game2-7.png

Tayrun
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 4
    Green Treasure

stever777
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 5
    Create Door
    Red Treasure

jdarksun <- Current Turn
    VP - 0
    Life - 13
    Cards in Hand - 5
    Seal Door
    Blue Treasure

Bedlam
    VP - 0
    Life - 15
    Cards in Hand- 7

jdarksun jaw is clearly broken. "BGHAS ASAHEF ASHADF", he screams at the wizard behind the door

100% ready to put in orders as soon as we get jdark's results back :D