As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Penny Arcade Report

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited February 2012 in The Penny Arcade Hub
http://penny-arcade.com/report/

It's here! There's an inbuilt comments system so we won't be making Hub threads about new PA Report content. This thread is for you to discuss the launch, talk about the report in general or whatever. Enjoy.

Tube on

• LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    First interview is great. Shame that Kotaku cropped the picture mere hours after the launch though.

Lepwave on
    XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    I understand not doing it with the comic, but will we be seeing the comment system moving to PATV as well?

• TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    I am pretty stoked this is here. I was just about to necropost the original announcement thread the other day asking for an update. I've only read a couple of the articles so far, but it looks like they're starting strong, with a Valve related double feature. Also kind of a bizarre contest. Who is doing the photos and graphics for the articles? I don't recognize the name, but I'm impressed so far.

steam_sig.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    Xaviar wrote:
    I understand not doing it with the comic, but will we be seeing the comment system moving to PATV as well?

Not imminently.

• IgortIgort Registered User regular
    Really glad this exists. I was pretty tired with most other gaming news sites, and this one seems like it's aiming for something much better. It's interesting and exciting...

Also the Gabe Newell interview is fantastic. Some real interesting stuff here.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Mr. Newell looks good with the beard.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    It would be interesting if the vanilla folks could cook up a way to have the comments on the articles show up in the forums as well, in their own subforum, without the ability to create new threads... just indexed by article title. So one wouldn't have to go back to the article page to continue in its discussion.

Anyhow, it looks good so far. I'm intrigued.

• DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    That Tevis Thompson article on Zelda is fucking fantastic. I know it's not necessarily PAR content, but I wouldn't have found it without The Cut.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    This looks awesome. I have RSS feeds of other sites (game and otherwise) that just amount to hitting spacebar to skim headlines. The actual things that are interesting are few and usually amount to actual news (<x> game is coming out on <date>).

By comparison, at least based on one day of material, I could see myself visiting The PA Report* every day and actually reading the articles (both original and linked). And further, it can help me find other interesting writers I would like to read regularly. So everybody wins. And as a bonus, no one stops getting copies of the next AAA title because they gave the last one a 92 instead of a 95.

* Stupid question I already know the answer to: is the 't' silent as in 'Colbert Report' or pronounced as in 'Colbert Report Special Report'?

• Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I like that the built in comment system uses my forum account.

I love the layout of the new site.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Great launch. I want to live in the Valve offices.

• fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    i'm getting alt text popping up when i hold my mouse cursor over each of the article titles. i'm using Chrome on a Win 7 machine. was this intentional? it seems to distract from the "regular" title text (which is done with classy CSS i might add).

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    ooh shiny!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    The site design is beautiful.

YL9WnCY.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Site looks amazing. Would love to see a more Flipboard-friendly RSS feed, but that's an incredibly minor detail.

Kuchera's review of Dear Esther was awesome, and the photos from Valve's offices were great (though higher-res ones would be even better.)

All in all, a great launch, looking forward to visiting on a regular basis.

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    Great article/reviews so far.

• BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Fantastic so far. One thing that would be nice to see (and this goes for the main PA site too) is a mobile-friendly version.

Brym on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Awesome site, great layout. Haven't read too much yet.

That being said, in IE I am seeing text cut off, and The Cut is overwriting Gabe's post. I tried reloading with ctrl+f5, but the same deal.

Also, with the top rotation, will the Above-PAR content (HAH!) overwhelm the other things, like PATV or Trenches?

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • OptionOption Registered User new member
    I can't tell you how excited I am for this endeavor. The thought that someone outside of my basement actually thinks there is a place for journalism in gaming journalism gives me hope to see one of the many facets of the gaming universe continue to evolve. We live in truly exciting times and this sort of professional look at what is truly the newest heavy weight in the entertainment industry is the sort of progress that is needed for the world to wake up and see that games are every bit important to our society as language.

Thank you.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    Awesome site, great layout. Haven't read too much yet.

That being said, in IE I am seeing text cut off, and The Cut is overwriting Gabe's post. I tried reloading with ctrl+f5, but the same deal.

Also, with the top rotation, will the Above-PAR content (HAH!) overwhelm the other things, like PATV or Trenches?

There's your problem right there.

• MortalToasterMortalToaster Registered User regular
    Props to Ben Kuchera and the team for this site, it's incredibly well done. Does anyone know of a greasemonkey or stylish script that inverts the colors? I have a hard time reading light text on a dark background

• FugaFuga Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I am so interested in this.

wow that came off really sarcastic

Fuga on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Props to Ben Kuchera and the team for this site, it's incredibly well done. Does anyone know of a greasemonkey or stylish script that inverts the colors? I have a hard time reading light text on a dark background

You can just tell your browser to use the colors of your choosing on all websites. I don't know how you do it in Chrome, but in Firefox you go Tools > Options > Content > Colors and uncheck "Allow pages to choose their own colors"

• UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    Scrolling down and seeing my avatar next to the comment box took me aback at first. Then I was impressed.

Nice work, everyone involved.

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Reading Mike's post really turned up my interest in PAR - The Cut sounds like a fantastic feature, so far with great execution.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    The comments seem kind of cramped and it's slightly glitchy in Opera near the top (stuff popping up and down when I hover over the top navigation bar) but otherwise this is nice and slick. Not very pleased with the highlighting of that shitty Mass Effect article as something that has made "The Cut" but whatever.

• TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I found a bug on Firefox with jailed users posting comments to the articles.

image.png

Aside from that, I think this is awesome. Great articles so far!

Edit: I understand it's going to look weird (I use Ye Olde Style on Stylish) but I replicated the bug with Stylished turned off in case that's a concern.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    My one little hang up is about the boxes: If PAR is getting its own box under the news post, can the top box just be for everything else?

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    I dig the new site! Bookmarked.

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:
    image.png

Edit: I understand it's going to look weird (I use Ye Olde Style on Stylish) but I replicated the bug with Stylished turned off in case that's a concern.
    That's not a bug, it's a commentary on how massively I'm jailed.

• AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    I'm in love with the idea behind this project. There are few games journalism outlets I respect. Having read two of the articles from The Cut as well as the Gabe Newell interview, I'm thinking the PAR will definitely go on that short list.

And, as others have stated, the layout is fantastic.

Beemo_Controller.png
  • jkeyjkey Registered User regular
    I'm loving everything about it so far, suggestion: add a light skin as an option - I prefer reading black text on a light background. PA as a whole is really smashing it. It's amazing how far this company has grown whilst remaining humble, it inspires me :)

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    That Vita article. Yeesh. I know the PA guys say they aren't for sale (and I believe them) and that the Vita is a probably a very nice piece of tech, but that whole thing read like a paid advert or a press release.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:

image.png

The same thing happens on the mobile site for the forums.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Just discovered the comment vote up/down feature. Great addition!

• The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    This is really incredible site design. I'm very impressed.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    Xaviar wrote:

This is slightly off topic, but do you mind saying why you understand? I've always thought a comment system for the comics would be fantastic.

Also, loving PAReport, I personally have no interest in Valve, but it's high quality and I'm excited for new subjects.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Peewi wrote:
    TehSpectre wrote:

image.png

The same thing happens on the mobile site for the forums.

I see the same thing on Chrome on the PAR comments. Not using any mods to change appearances.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    This turned out a lot cooler than I thought it would. Glad I'm not the only one that thinks the Vita is the best thing since sliced bread.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • AncillasAncillas Registered User new member
    I rarely visit the forums, but I created an account just to share how great I think the PAR is. I listen to a lot of podcasts, and games journalism is a topic that is visited often. I'm excited to see such strong support for more in-depth coverage of the gaming industry. I hope that it works out as planned.