As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

KOEI Warriors games

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Man anime is terrible. Only good one ever was Cowboy Bebop.

I need a proper new Samurai Warriors in my life.

Are you the magic man?
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Renzo wrote:
    I can't get past the character designs and powers. So pretty much everything.

Yea. It's one of those series that you either love or hate... because of the art. As I understand the series it's pretty much a buddy/road adventures kind of comic. where roads is the sea. a bit hard on the Nakama thing too.
    Frei wrote:
    Man anime is terrible. Only good one ever was Cowboy Bebop.

I need a proper new Samurai Warriors in my life.

I do too. Shame they put the last one on the Wii... and if they make another one it won't be on the 360. :(

Also there's are plenty of good (where I'm guessing good is not "wacky" to you?) anime out there beyond Cowboy Bebop, heh. Ghost in the Shell. Maybe Darker than Black?

Man, A musou title based off the Ghost in the Shell universe... if they did Fist of the North star, anything is possible... yes?

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    So, hey, Warriors Orochi 3 has an official site now. All it says is "3.20.2012" in regards to a release date (Which I'm guessing is for NA) and there's a Rating Pending thing from the ESRB which means NA version as far as I can tell. I'm pretty sure this is confirmation of a localization.

Just saying.

Edit: Oh, it's more official now. Both PS3 and 360 obv, but there's not going to be English Voice-Overs. Hrm..

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • TheGingerTheGinger Registered User regular
    I do have a soft spot for dynasty warriors, how many times you would here "DONT ATTACK LU BU" but you give it a go anyway just because you were playing co-op drunkenly with a friend.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    So. Dynasty warriors next. I fucking want this. So bad. Online empires mode sounds amazing.

Also no English voices is the best thing I've heard all year so far. Gods damn English va in musou games is so bad.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    Also no English voices is the best thing I've heard all year so far. Gods damn English va in musou games is so bad.

It's supposed to be bad. More accurately, it's supposed to be cheesy and overblown. If they're not overacting are they even really acting at all? Besides, with the era of having the Japanese audio as free dlc I would have thought the issue conclusively settled.

Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    Oh God... I got Dynasty Warriors in from Gamefly. At first I was like "This is stupid. People are stupid." But then... It just clicked. I have played the game roughly 8-9 hours a day since Tuesday (I'm off from work for a surgery). My eyes hurt I've been playing it so long.

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    Xtreme Legends 7 is awessssssome. I'm typically a "deep" game kind of guy but goddamn if slaughtering tons of fools and having a bunch of ridiculous shit happening isn't just a ton of fun.

I do enjoy the Empires games more, though. Wish they'd do more of those/flesh them out more.

Are you the magic man?
    After I finish DW7 (which I'm so very close now... just need to buy a few more weapons) I'd like to play another Warriors-ish game. Which one would you guys say is the best? I thought Fist of the North Star was fucking awesome too (I'm sure that's a Warrior game... haven't actually checked).

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I was about to suggest DW7 Xtreme Legends but say the 360 bit in your sig. Fist of the North Star or Warriors: Legends of Troy might be worth looking into but personally I'd just wait for Warriors Orochi 3 in March.

I think I'll start XL after I've wrapped up Kingdoms of Amalur. I think I've had enough of a break now, after finishing DW7. I should really try to find Strikeforce somewhere as well. I only had like the two online trophies left but I just couldn't be bothered.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    I was about to suggest DW7 Xtreme Legends but say the 360 bit in your sig. Fist of the North Star or Warriors: Legends of Troy might be worth looking into but personally I'd just wait for Warriors Orochi 3 in March.

I think I'll start XL after I've wrapped up Kingdoms of Amalur. I think I've had enough of a break now, after finishing DW7. I should really try to find Strikeforce somewhere as well. I only had like the two online trophies left but I just couldn't be bothered.

Is DW7 Xtreme only on PS3? I own one of those as well. :P

Yeah, I guess 360 sales weren't good enough to justify porting it over so it stayed PS3 exclusive. I knew you had a PS3 but I just figured you'd want to transfer your progress over. Apparently a completed DW7 save will only save you a couple of hours if you go for the platinum anyway, so starting with the defaults should be fine.

Yeah, I guess 360 sales weren't good enough to justify porting it over so it stayed PS3 exclusive. I knew you had a PS3 but I just figured you'd want to transfer your progress over. Apparently a completed DW7 save will only save you a couple of hours if you go for the platinum anyway, so starting with the defaults should be fine.

Ahh, boo. Looks like I need to get my PS3 fixed then, huh? :P

Ughhh.. I wanted to get the "Get all weapons" achievement for DW7... Except the final one is gained from answering all of the scholar questions! I answered like 30+ and I'm only at like 8% answered. I don't know if I can do it...

• blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    It takes a long ass time.

edited February 2012
    blaze_zero wrote:
    It takes a long ass time.

400 to 500 questions? DAMN YOU KOEI!

e: Even WITH the answers that will take forever.

urahonky on
    Just spent the past hour tapping A just to get the quizzes. Got the achievement but no weapon... So I went back to the main menu to see if it gave it to me there only to find out it didn't save. Why is there no autosave when leaving a town!?

• SquigieSquigie Registered User regular
    I finally got Utage a few days ago. Oh your god, it is so awesome! How awesome? So awesome! There's improvements in pretty much every aspect, especially the grindy parts, though I do sorely miss being able to understand the dialogue.

Kojuro is even more wonderful than I expected. I love every thing about him, from his character and animations to his "combos in your combos" perk and the joy that is slaughter mode. I have an urge to write romantic fan fiction staring him and a new, original character who bears no resemblance to myself, Subaru Marinosuke.

There is much to enjoy with the others as well. Matsunaga requires a bit of setup and room, but is rather abusable. Masamune's Phantom Dive is addictive. Mitsunari's new move adds a lot to his early game before he gets his bread and butter specials. Though both are speedsters wielding a nodachi in an iaido style, Kenshin plays very differently from Mitsunari. Muneshige is quite fun for a burly, sluggish character, and has a few tricks to gain speed. Sorin plays a lot like Tadakatsu, bludgeoning though everything, only with far more singing.

Unification mode has a few new features that add some nice variety. On your first turn you can attack any territory; on subsequent turns you can attack any territory adjacent to that one. It alleviates the issue of starting each campaign playing the same stages. Sengoku Dream Chance has you bet on who will be your last opponent; you can win big, or all three of your picks can be knocked out on turn two. In addition to The Last Stand there are several other optional random event stages, and the Sekigahara, Osaka Summer, and Honoji stages appear as an occasional grand finale.

In other, not as awesome, news, Warriors Orochi 3 will be download-only on PS3 in NA. It seems SCEA has an inconsistently-applied rule about localized games lacking English voices, though it may possibly be cheaper as a result.

Warning: the preceding post may be more sarcastic than it appears. Proceed at own risk. Individual results may vary. Offers not valid in Canada or where prohibited by fraud statutes.
    I have a vita now. DW Next shall be bought tomorrow.

My body is ready.

steam_sig.png
    Next is actually really good. I kind of expected a lot of compromising, but there isn't -that- much, really, and the majority of the Touch/Sixaxis/Etc. stuff isn't too bad.

Except Duels. Duels are the fucking worst thing.

Duels really can't be much worse then they usually are. Corner trap then mash charge attack erry day.

Though I kind of wish they had done a Strikeforce game instead. Zany dbz dynasty warriors was pretty great.

steam_sig.png
    Duels are touch-screen based. Basically, you flick the screen to attack or press the screen to guard break. If there's a deadlock (usually after you parry, which is indicated by a red line with "Flick!" above it going a certain direction), there's a bunch of spots that come up that you press to fill up the bar. It wouldn't be so bad if some of the enemies took arbitrarily small amounts of damage from hits whereas you take about 5-7 before kicking it. (Considering that if you get deflected, they'll follow it up with a Guard Break which seems to do 1.5-2x damage, that's about 3 hits at once). At least when you lose, you just restart at the start of the duel, rather than the battle. (Which says to me they realized how shitty it was but kept it because it was too late. Rather have it be un-loseable instead of having a bunch of people ragging on the game for screwing you out of an entire mission because of a shitty duel system.)

Wait wait... There's a DBZ Dynasty Warriors?

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Wait wait... There's a DBZ Dynasty Warriors?

WHAT?!

3basnids3lf9.jpg

Not exactly. It's still Dynasty Warriors. You can just go all uber and glow/fly and shoot fireballs and fight giant dragons and yellow turban tanks and holy shit that game was ridiculous.

steam_sig.png
    edited February 2012
    Take my money KOEI!!

(Which is why I loved Fist of the North Star!)

e: Moved that bitch to the top of my Gamefly queue.

urahonky on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Squigie wrote: »
    I finally got Utage a few days ago. Oh your god, it is so awesome! How awesome? So awesome! There's improvements in pretty much every aspect, especially the grindy parts, though I do sorely miss being able to understand the dialogue.

Kojuro is even more wonderful than I expected. I love every thing about him, from his character and animations to his "combos in your combos" perk and the joy that is slaughter mode. I have an urge to write romantic fan fiction staring him and a new, original character who bears no resemblance to myself, Subaru Marinosuke.

There is much to enjoy with the others as well. Matsunaga requires a bit of setup and room, but is rather abusable. Masamune's Phantom Dive is addictive. Mitsunari's new move adds a lot to his early game before he gets his bread and butter specials. Though both are speedsters wielding a nodachi in an iaido style, Kenshin plays very differently from Mitsunari. Muneshige is quite fun for a burly, sluggish character, and has a few tricks to gain speed. Sorin plays a lot like Tadakatsu, bludgeoning though everything, only with far more singing.

Unification mode has a few new features that add some nice variety. On your first turn you can attack any territory; on subsequent turns you can attack any territory adjacent to that one. It alleviates the issue of starting each campaign playing the same stages. Sengoku Dream Chance has you bet on who will be your last opponent; you can win big, or all three of your picks can be knocked out on turn two. In addition to The Last Stand there are several other optional random event stages, and the Sekigahara, Osaka Summer, and Honoji stages appear as an occasional grand finale.

In other, not as awesome, news, Warriors Orochi 3 will be download-only on PS3 in NA. It seems SCEA has an inconsistently-applied rule about localized games lacking English voices, though it may possibly be cheaper as a result.

Fuuuuuck, I've been wanting to import this already even without hearing about how awesome it is

Squigie wrote: »
    Yeah Darth Mogs and I talked about this in the PS Store thread. It's not inconsistent by the way. The Yakuza's get a pass because they're exclusive. I mean, it's still dumb as it hands Microsoft a retail exclusive on a silver platter but they're still consistent.
    Not exactly. It's still Dynasty Warriors. You can just go all uber and glow/fly and shoot fireballs and fight giant dragons and yellow turban tanks and holy shit that game was ridiculous.

Man, I REALLY need to find a copy of Strikeforce and platinum it. I did everything but the couple of online things because I just couldn't be bothered. But now it's sitting on my trophy list at 93%, taunting me.

And yeah, it was a pretty bizarre game. I wouldn't mind another one, preferably with more map variety. DW Next has full maps doesn't it? Not broken down into small areas like the PSP ones and Strikeforce? If so, then I guess a Strikeforce 2 would just have full maps anyway.

Actually, I believe they made a Strikeforce 2 already that included some of the characters from 7. Or all of them, I dunno, I just remember Cai Wenji being in it. It was on PSP, so...But I get where you're coming from.

Also DW Next Maps are indeed full maps. Some of them aren't -huge-, but they're not little single-area maps that connect.

So dw next. I like it. I like that my troops managed to capture a base without me. That was fantastic. I also found the duels pretty fun. The only gimmick I didn't really like was the shaking the vita for a speed musou. After disabling motion controls and just using the triggers all was well.

Even the duels felt cool to me. Though definitely looks like they could wear thin.

steam_sig.png
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    I really, really did not like Strikeforce. I only had the demo, though. It's very different from the other DW-style games. Too many projectiles, too difficult, guys don't die fast enough. It's an entirely different game, and not one I like, apparently.

uyvfOQy.png
    Reynolds wrote: »
    I really, really did not like Strikeforce. I only had the demo, though. It's very different from the other DW-style games. Too many projectiles, too difficult, guys don't die fast enough. It's an entirely different game, and not one I like, apparently.

Honestly, that's kind of how I felt, but then I got a copy of the PS3 up-port and it honestly works on some level. The demo is really poor at showing off the game, unfortunately, since it uses things that you kind of have to ease into and have decent items/effects for which the demo doesn't really supply.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Strikeforce was probably one of my favourite DWs ever. And yes, the demo was awful.

Hmm...well, if I see it for cheap, I might pick it up then...

uyvfOQy.png
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Actually, I believe they made a Strikeforce 2 already that included some of the characters from 7. Or all of them, I dunno, I just remember Cai Wenji being in it. It was on PSP, so...But I get where you're coming from.

Also DW Next Maps are indeed full maps. Some of them aren't -huge-, but they're not little single-area maps that connect.
    Yeah I vaguely remember hearing about a Strikeforce 2 but since Wiki made no mention of it, I assume it was just my imagination. There were an absurd amount of Warriors games thrown onto the PSP.

Nice to hear about DW Next, the cut-up maps were the main reason why I completely avoided all the PSP Warriors games. A proper handheld Warriors game sounds pretty tempting.

Anyway, I gave up and ordered Strikeforce just now. It'll take a week to get here from the UK but if anyone wants to do some online stuff on PS3, I'll be interested. I only just remembered how shitty the trophy list is though. They put god damn quotation marks around the fucking title, so whenever I sort alphabetically, it goes straight to the top. It's so annoying and stupid looking. Koei are such idiots.

Okay, so, I have a question about Dynasty Warriors Next's trophies. When it says, basically, "Become Sworn Siblings with every officer" and "Marry Every Officer" do they mean actually playing Conquest enough times as both Male and Female rulers to get everyone bonded up that high twice?

Because if so, fuck that noise. I like Next, but its Conquest Mode is entirely too shallow to be enjoyable for that amount of time.

• supermechakuposupermechakupo Registered User regular
    Darth_Mogs wrote: »
    Okay, so, I have a question about Dynasty Warriors Next's trophies. When it says, basically, "Become Sworn Siblings with every officer" and "Marry Every Officer" do they mean actually playing Conquest enough times as both Male and Female rulers to get everyone bonded up that high twice?

Because if so, fuck that noise. I like Next, but its Conquest Mode is entirely too shallow to be enjoyable for that amount of time.

That definitely sounds like something they would come up with for a trophy. Also, whoever came up with the idea for unlocking items in Coalition mode needs to be shot.

I'd really like to punch whoever came up with the 1000 battle trophy in DW7 XL. Who honestly thought that was a good idea?

$50 is way too much to pay for a download-only version of Warriors Orochi 3. I could maybe justify it for the disc, especially if I could just wait for a sale. Stuff on PSN hardly ever goes on sale, and it's not like I can find a used copy...

uyvfOQy.png