As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

X-Men Thread: Regenesis is here, Phil Collins or Peter Gabriel?

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote:
    I have to agree with Tex, Gen Hope this past week was *really* good. It's making me both look forward to AvX and wishing I could follow the kids to Avengers Academy.

The Gen Hope kids are going to Academy? Would have figured they 'd go to WatXM school.

Nope, them and a pile of others as of the May solicits. Christos Gage is going to have to include a dramatis personae at this rate.

huntresssig.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Either that or kill a bunch of them off

NOT COOL

huntresssig.jpg
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    The Initiative had a pretty large cast and Gage did a pretty good job with that, but yeah, I'd like to see some more students at the Jean Grey School. Maybe after AvX undoes No More Mutants that will happen.

• wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I need to get caught back up with Avengers: Academy. I've only read the first collection so far.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Arivia wrote:
    NOT COOL

:rotate:

What does it say about me that the rotate smiley is and always has been by far my favourite smiley

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    8->

<3

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    :winky:

:ar!

The rotate smiley is my favourite too Solar but suggesting killing off Laurie and Teon and everyone is just no!

huntresssig.jpg
    oh hey I would NEVER sanction killing of Lauren or Teon!

Especially not Lauren because she is super-cool and man that crazy bird/fish/snake thing she turns into when she goes really fast is the greatest thing

I am just saying, if we needed to lose, say, Finesse to get Laurie, I would be cool with that

Though really I would like to see the lights say "shove it up your arse Cyclops, and you Hope, I hope the Phoenix eats your soul"

And then go to Wolverine's school

But at the same time, I have been saying there should be more X-Men/everything else integration for a while

and this is a nice way to do that. It could go both ways too, young kids with non-mutant based powers going to the JGSfHL (nice acronym there)

• GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    See, I am the exact opposite.

The more X-Men stuff I read, the more convinced I am everybody is better off when the mutants are their own little "pocket universe" as much as possible.

• HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    I'd love to see an Avengers Academy / Jean Grey School exchange student program start up.

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Though really I would like to see the lights say "shove it up your arse Cyclops, and you Hope, I hope the Phoenix eats your soul"

And then go to Wolverine's school

But at the same time, I have been saying there should be more X-Men/everything else integration for a while

and this is a nice way to do that. It could go both ways too, young kids with non-mutant based powers going to the JGSfHL (nice acronym there)

Is that an acronym or a sneeze?

Instead of graduating the students Gesundheit.

• ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    In other news, the X-Men twitter is fucking hilarious. The twitters take place along-side releases of the Wolverine side of the comics.

Every single one of Kid Gladiators posts probably tops the whole lot of them out in the funniness department. For those wondering, Kid Gladiator is an "exchange student" (Read: Forced on them by the Shi'ar empire.) who's basically what'd happen if you mixed an Ork from Warhammer 40K with Superman.

Some choice quotes.
    Kitty Pryde @JGSHeadmistress Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

You know, I used to hate the whole "butterflies in your stomach" feeling but this is WAY worse.
    Kid Gladiator @KidGladiator1 Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

I just punched to death 2000 Brood creatures, all within Ms. Pryde's mammary glands!

There will never be a greater day than this so long as I live!
    Kitty Pryde @JGSHeadmistress Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

WHAT IS GOING ON?!? I would explain more, but... I'm not going to.

Quentin Quire @QQuire Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Wolverine refuses to relinquish control of the spaceship's MP3 player. If I have to listen to anymore Hank Williams, I am going to die.
    Quentin Quire @QQuire Close

Also, pretty sure I'm the first person to ever tweet from space. Suck it, earthlings!

Attention all Brood creatures inside @JGSHeadmistress! Meet me inside her pancreas ASAP. I have a present for each of you.

Brood pouring in by the thousands. Now this will be fun. I expect serious collateral damage. A human can live without its pancreas, right?

The lead-up to the punch-line of the FOODBLIMP gag is pretty impressive, too. Here's the link to the twitters conglomerated together if anyone's interested in following it.

https://twitter.com/#!/Marvel/jean-grey-school

Archonex on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Yessss, SUFFER, Quentin Quire.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    fuck Iceman's twitter is IceIceBobby FUCK

CYpGAPn.png
    Blankzilla wrote:

Cool twitter though

As I have said, I like them all, and I think it's a really cool way to add some more depth to the setting, characters and so on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    Blankzilla wrote:

Cool twitter though

As I have said, I like them all, and I think it's a really cool way to add some more depth to the setting, characters and so on
    Oh no it is a goddamn amazing pun and dead on for Iceman

but it is also a fucking pun

CYpGAPn.png
    punning is a time-honoured tradition which Iceman clearly respects

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    puns are the most amazing things available in language!

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    You know who loved puns? Shakespeare.

I have been re-reading the first issues of Wolverine and the X-Men and yeah this is a fantastic comic. It cannot be re-iterated enough.

One thing I love about it is how interesting the various characters are. We have Bobby, who is going to "step up," and I'm excited for how that goes. We have Evan who has my full sympathy and whose character arc is really drawing me in. We don't really know much about Kid Gladiator, and I want to find out. What is going to happen with Idie? What is the future of the school?

It has loads of questions being dangled in front of us, and I am certainly drawn in because I want answers. Great stuff.

• TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    I have been re-reading the first issues of Wolverine and the X-Men and yeah this is a fantastic comic. It cannot be re-iterated enough.

I've started referring to my toilet as the Danger Room

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    Solar wrote:

One thing I love about it is how interesting the various characters are. We have Bobby, who is going to "step up," and I'm excited for how that goes. We have Evan who has my full sympathy and whose character arc is really drawing me in. We don't really know much about Kid Gladiator, and I want to find out. What is going to happen with Idie? What is the future of the school?

It has loads of questions being dangled in front of us, and I am certainly drawn in because I want answers. Great stuff.

Evan wasn't in the first issue!

huntresssig.jpg
    Arivia wrote:
    Solar wrote:

Evan wasn't in the first issue!

Well no that is why I said issues!

But even then that is actually cool because it a) shows a level of connection between the books that I like and b) means that the books are constantly evolving and so on in terms of characters and sub-plots. It doesn't feel stale at any point, it's all fresh and fun stuff.

Remember the ending to Detective Comics #1 last year? Well the same thing happens in Uncanny X-Force #22. Got to say, it still doesn't work when a better writer does it.

Wait, same process, same part of the body and all that?

huntresssig.jpg
    Arivia wrote: »
    Wait, same process, same part of the body and all that?
    Weapon III, who has skin that he can stretch and control and so on, was tasked back in the day to steal some stuff from the otherworld. But he was followed by someone else in the program acting on other orders, to sabotage the mission. That was Weapon XIII, Fantomex.

Anyway so Weapon III gets caught by the Captain Britain Corps and his punishment for killing so many while trying to steal the whatever is to be skinned alive. Later on Fantomex nicked his skin as well. But anyway, now he's the Skinless Man and he can do the same with his muscles and so on, he ambushed Betsy and Fantomex and in retribution for what Fantomex did to him he has just skinned his face off. What happens next I dunno. Last page and all that.

I thought it was much better than Detective Comics #1 though

So anyone have any idea who those two random kids are that showed up with Gen Hope in Legacy #262?

huntresssig.jpg
    Dust is the one in the Burkha, Surge is the other maybe?

That ending is totally going to show that Wolverine is wrong. And Rogue had a really good point about being a teacher well before Wolverine decided to get all pissy at Cyclops.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    more fire to the bendis taking over the x-men books
    http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/02/24/brian-bendis-to-take-over-the-x-men-books/
    I would have to assume he'd be taking Uncanny.
    Kinda uneasy right now for the most likely giant creator switches after AvX

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I think a Bendis X-Men book could work, as I liked his Ultimate X-Men run. But Uncanny needs to be in Gillen's hands, because he's actually doing the thing the book requires, having the team actually out there saving the world. No sitting around tables eating necessary, or back and forth banter. And Aaron's work right now is good, no need to change it. Instead of messing with those books, just put him on one book elsewhere, Astonishing, Legacy, or X-Men (or cancel them).

I mean really, there's only one thing to change right now in the X-franchise, and that's getting Land as far away from the books as possible. They threw stuff at the wall and it stuck this time, after years of mediocre stories post House of M, no need to change all that now just because the top dog wants to go play in someone's backyard.

edited February 2012
    Yeah I can't really think of an X-book I'm writing that I really want Bendis on

I don't think he would do a good job with the Extinction Team at all. Bendis doesn't like high-powered, serious superheroes, and it shows.

He could be on the regular X-Men book? Maybe? I dunno, that news doesn't exactly make me happy. Bendis should stick to noir, street level solo books, and USM.

Solar on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    They can give Brian the "main" X-men book very easily. Just please keep Gillen on Uncanny and Aaron on WatX-men.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    They can give Brian the "main" X-men book very easily. Just please keep Gillen on Uncanny and Aaron on WatX-men.

And Remender on X-Force, though I don't see that changing any time soon

of course, this is a rumour from Bleeding Cool. It could end up being entirely untrue.