As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

can we have 'online' symbols next to mods' names at the bottom of the index

OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
because going to 'forum leaders' and trying to figure out which mods are in which forums and additionally which ones are online is a bit of a pain

Orikaeshigitae on

• Options
    SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That is a good idea.

Seg on
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Thirded. I miss the old "who's online" page that had all the mods and admins listed in their own little category at the very top of the list.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I previously suggested this. :P

Thanatos on
  • Options
    FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've been wanting something like this too

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I endorse this idea.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

nuh-uh

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

nuh-uh
    Would it be possible to stick an online indicator next to the moderators' names at the bottom of the various forum pages? Like, in the little box that says "Moderators?"

Also, could we move that box to the top of the page, rather than the bottom?

Thanatos on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    lies

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2007
    I took a look at it. There is no way I can see to accomplish this through the standard templates and plugins system. The closest I could get would be to indicate whether or not the moderators of that forum are currently browsing that forum. And I would have to incur an additional query for that, which I'm not too keen on.

It looks promising if I were to modify the getimodcache code to pull the invisible, lastvisit, and lastactivity fields, then I could probably use a plugin (hooked to forumdisplay_moderator) to call fetch_online_status passing in the $moderator variable. But since that requires a patch to the code, it requires extra work which I cannot do right now. Which is why I'm documenting the process, so I can refresh my memory later.

Ramius on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    awesome! thanks, ramius "the man" ramius

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    Any chance of tying it in to that query you had disable for a bit the other day; where the forums check to see if someone is a mod?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited July 2007
    showthread is a totally different execution stream from forumdisplay.

Within showthread, the user data is already populated with online-statuses, but the "who is a moderator of this forum" info was not being populated. So the plugin I wrote for that went and got the moderator information. I'm actually not positive yet if that one results in a query. I believe that in most cases it is able to pull it out of the cache. I really need to instument that some time, to be sure.

Within forumdisplay, we already know who is a moderator (it is shown at the bottom of the page), but we don't know their online status. The fetch_online_status function is also of no help because the $moderators data structure does not carry the required data fields.

But thanks for asking, because talking about it here made me realize that storing the online-status within the moderators cache will not be helpful, because something as variable as online-status isn't something that is really cachable. I'll have to find a different plan of attack.

*The table where the online-status fields reside is already being queried when the moderator cache is being filled, but only a couple select fields are being pulled, and the online-status field is not one of them.

Ramius on