As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Looking for a mouse for gaming

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Seriously. I can't imagine the people who play with their DPI maxxed up to like 5600+. With it set that high, I would think your heartbeat would be causing your cursor to jump all overthr place.

I am at 4000 right now and have used 5600 dpi mice before. I love it because you can do some really smooth and fine movements in photoshop or gaming. Also you move the mouse around a lot less so if I need to slam the cursor from the left side of my left monitor to the right side of my right monitor, I literally just have slide an inch.

I keep mine high for the same reason, but about 3200-4000 is the most I can deal with. 5600 is just way to sensitive to make any precise motions for me. 3200-4000 seems like a nice sweet spot where you barely have to move the mouse for nice sweeping motions, but it's still relatively precise.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Any decent Bluetooth mice? All I can find these days are notebook-sized mice.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Any decent Bluetooth mice? All I can find these days are notebook-sized mice.

Full sized BT mice are a rare thing these days. Everyone's mainly using RF. the best one I know of is the Razer Orochi. It's not full sized, but it's a tad bigger than most tiny laptop mice, and it's built for gaming, which is also rare in a Bluetooth mouse. It's also got a detachable USB cable if you want to do the charge&play thing, or if you want to use it on a PC without Bluetooth.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:
    I'm about 2 months in with my Deathadder and my thoughts are that while I'm generally happy with it, I would suggest people should look for something else.

What I mean is the mouse itself is a joy to use; the thumb buttons are in the perfect place, it polls well and it's size and weight are fantastic for my palm-grip. I really unhappy with the clicky scroll wheel though. It makes scrolling through my weapon inventory in all games (mount and blade, counter strike, bulletstorm, bioshock 2) an absolute pain and in fact I don't use it at all as it randomly jumps around or doesn't register. I have compromised around it, but I honestly believe that you could find a similar mouse for a similar price that wouldn't have the same issue

I'm pretty sure the clicky versus non-clicky scroll wheel is a preference thing. I've never had an issue using it to scroll through stuff and hate non-clicky scroll wheels.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    I'm also onboard with clicky wheels. The stiffer and clickier the better. I can't stand smooth, fast scroll wheels.

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    I see that this thread is old enough that in my earlier post I recommended the deathadder, but not the mamba (which I'd yet to own.)

So I'll chime in and say that the mamba is my favourite mouse of all time, and cast my vote for that if you want a wireless gaming mouse without the downsides of wireless and don't need a huge number of buttons. And if you can shell out the cash, because it's really not a cheap mouse.

I'm curious what, if anyone here happens to own one, folks think about the logitech performance mx (basically a rehash of the revolution, but I never owned one of those so can't comment.) It has much better battery life than the mamba, and it (effectively, though not technically) has the wired/wireless thing going on. It's also much heavier and it's just a bit too big for my claw grip to feel quite right. Still, it seems very usable and I'm pretty happy with it as the mouse for my laptop though I'd never use it as my primary gaming mouse.

Erik
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I'm also onboard with clicky wheels. The stiffer and clickier the better. I can't stand smooth, fast scroll wheels.

The G-500 does BOTH.
    Clicky for games, loose for scrolling loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong documents.

I love it.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    yea, ireally like my g500

camo_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    At the moment, I'm kinda torn between these two:

Logitech g9x
    20090318_1412461_1680583034_o.png

Steelseries Sensei
    steelseries-sensei-pro-grade-laser-mouse-552-1m.jpg

I hate that there's nowhere you can go retail and look at mice. I want to feel it's shape in my hand, maybe test drive it first, see how it responds, but I can't find anything but low-end shit at any stores anymore.

• RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Seriously. I can't imagine the people who play with their DPI maxxed up to like 5600+. With it set that high, I would think your heartbeat would be causing your cursor to jump all overthr place.

I am at 4000 right now and have used 5600 dpi mice before. I love it because you can do some really smooth and fine movements in photoshop or gaming. Also you move the mouse around a lot less so if I need to slam the cursor from the left side of my left monitor to the right side of my right monitor, I literally just have slide an inch.

I keep mine high for the same reason, but about 3200-4000 is the most I can deal with. 5600 is just way to sensitive to make any precise motions for me. 3200-4000 seems like a nice sweet spot where you barely have to move the mouse for nice sweeping motions, but it's still relatively precise.

Hmm. I typically use 3200 on my Roccat, but I will switch to 6000 occasionally. It's far more sensitive, sure, but you get used to it very quickly.

Also, can anyone recommend a good quality cloth mat? Currently using a Roccat Sota and while it's a very good mat, I just prefer the cloth type.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
    I like my Razer Goliathus a lot. It's one of the huge ones that goes under the keyboard and mouse. They make smaller ones for just the mouse, but those are still very large. It's nicely padded and works smoothly with every mouse I've tried.

My wife likes her Razer Kabuto a lot. It's smaller and very thin/floppy, but it was also cheap and works as well as you could ask for.

I've also used a SteelSeries one that was fine, too, but I don't recall which one.

Of course, most cloth mats that cost more than about 15 bucks are all going to work perfectly fine, so find one that you like the look and size of and go to town.

• TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah I've got a razer goliathus that I got as a hand me down from a mate and I'm very pleased with it

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I've got a Razer Naga. It's pretty much the best computer-related $80 I've ever spent.

• ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Not a cloth pad, but perhaps it'll be useful to someone else: I've got a RatzPad, and I really like it. It hasn't shown any wear yet in the 6 months or so I've had it. The wrist cutout is really comfortable for me (perhaps because I have really large hands and it lets more of my hand sit on the mouse), and the size is perfect.

I am about this close [......] to clicking "buy" on that Sensei...

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    I've got a Razer Orochi, and it is the best mobile mouse I've ever owned.

If you're like me and you game with a laptop (or just need a good mobile BT mouse) look at the Orochi.

919UOwT.png
  • b1rdmanb1rdman Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:
    At the moment, I'm kinda torn between these two:

Logitech g9x
    20090318_1412461_1680583034_o.png

Steelseries Sensei
    steelseries-sensei-pro-grade-laser-mouse-552-1m.jpg

I hate that there's nowhere you can go retail and look at mice. I want to feel it's shape in my hand, maybe test drive it first, see how it responds, but I can't find anything but low-end shit at any stores anymore.

That steel series is pure sex. I'm still using an old intellimouse and it looks just like it. I want that one now. I like its simplicity.

And also, I feel the same way about the lack of anything but low end mice at retail outlets. I have a microcenter near me which I think would carry what I'm looking for, but its a drive and its almost in the heart of boston, so not always worth the drive/traffic to me.

steam_sig.png
    3DS: 1118-0304-5441 | PSN: b1rdman385 | steam:b1rdman385 | BattleTag(Diablo 3): Marticus#1981 | NNID: b1rdman
  • ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    After going through three Razer Copperheads (the mouse feels fantastic and works well, but they do break) I got a cyborg rat 5. It may look silly but it works fantastic. Adjusted to my hand, weighted for the heft I prefer, and the button placement is perfect. I hated that Razer put DPI controls where my pinky always was. Sure you could change what the button did but man that drove me nuts in TF2. Also the thumb shelf on all the cyborgs is just the best thing ever.

I bought the Sensei. Will give a review in 5-8 business days free super saver shipping.

Houn wrote:
    I bought the Sensei. Will give a review in 5-8 business days free super saver shipping.

It's a really nice mouse. It skews a bit closer to the Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer design than even the Razer Mamba and Deathadder do. Which is fine, because that's just a great mouse design. Let us know what you think after you try it out for a while. I'd snap another one up in heartbeat if they ever made a wireless version.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Gentlemen, PSA: take some time and look all over your mouse. I just had to scrape off what I assume was nine months worth of dead skin cells.

I rock a Deathadder and a Steelseries plastic pad, and 1800 dpi is all I can manage, and it goes up to 3200 dpi. :^: ly

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    I have one of these:

razer-naga-molten-special-edition-gallery1.jpg

And absolutely love it. Razer Molten. 5600 DPI, and I can map pretty much everything to my mouse. I was not so keen on the buttons at first, but once i got comfortable with it I started to really fall in love with it. It's great to be able to weapon swap in FPS games at the click of my thumb or use skills in an MMO the same way, it even comes with a macro program to program the buttons any way you want.

I'm a bit of a Razer fanboy though, i've been using their mice to great success for many years now. Had the Lachesis (Older model of it.) before this one.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    edited February 2012
    Configuring Sensei Now...

This has long been a pet peeve of mine:
    How does one set up the side buttons on a mouse to still be buttons and usable, but NOT be browser forward/back?

*edit*
    I set them to just be Keypad+ and Keypad-, which are simple enough to assign actions to in-game. More importantly, to assign Vent PTT to without my browser jumping pages every time I talk.

Initial Report:
    Sweet. Baby. Jesus.
    This mouse is sex.

Houn on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Houn wrote:

How does one set up the side buttons on a mouse to still be buttons and usable, but NOT be browser forward/back?
    *edit*
    I set them to just be Keypad+ and Keypad-, which are simple enough to assign actions to in-game. More importantly, to assign Vent PTT to without my browser jumping pages every time I talk.

Initial Report:
    Sweet. Baby. Jesus.
    This mouse is sex.

Does that thing have a clicky or smooth scrollwheel?

I don't understand why the manufacturers never specify that.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote:
    Houn wrote:

*edit*

Initial Report:
    Sweet. Baby. Jesus.
    This mouse is sex.

Does that thing have a clicky or smooth scrollwheel?

I don't understand why the manufacturers never specify that.

You know, I've actually never seen a mouse with a smooth/non-clicky scroll wheel, outside of a few old $20 optical mice from Staples in the early 2000s, and the dual-mode wheel on Logitech mice.

But to the point, until @Houn chimes in, I'm pretty sure the Sensei is clicky, as the other Steel Series I've spent time with have all been.

Clicky, with a good grip to it and well defined click points.

Yeah, I'm super-happy with this mouse.

• Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    has anybody had success doing self-maintenance on their Razer DA 3.5G? I've got a sticky thumb button that was a fairly integral part of my gaming habits, and I was wondering if others have opened this puppy up to realign/clean the button sensors.

Joe K on
    I fixed a jumping scrollwheel on my DA (not 3G) for a good few months with some superglue. It's not hard to take apart and put back together.

Now, if the problem is in the switch itself, there may be nothing you can do for it; I've never had any luck cleaning/repairing switches, and usually end up replacing them if I can find a compatible part.

• EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Did the same thing as Houn with mine, not sure if mine was 3.5g or not (my cats long since destroyed my deathadder. I hate my cats so much.) Easy enough to open up/clean up and do a bit of work on but I didn't touch any of the physical switches aside from cleaning gunk out.

Ego on
    Erik
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    I've had a deathadder for a few years now, and it's starting to get really squirrily on me. It'll randomly input from the back button and the wheel, and the left mouse responds only half the time. So I'm replacing it. I think it's one of the best mice I've had, and I might get a new one, but I had enough annoyances with it that I'm not going to rush out and get a new one. I'm extremely iffy on razer in general after a few terrible experiences, but I'll cut them some slack on mice.

Anyway, for people praising the mamba, is there a corded option with it? I'll never try a wireless mouse again, my last one was a shitshow. Has anyone tried the imperator?

I'm looking through the steelseries mice, but I'd prefer to have more of an ergonomic finger-mousing deal. Would those be ok or are they more for palm control? What about the Ikari? I'd also prefer to have at least 1800 dpi but the Ikari maxes out at 1600?

The Mamba runs wired or wireless. Both mode work identically well, and short of your battery dying there is no way you'd know you're on a wireless mouse. It's basically a Deathadder with the option to run wireless.

The Steelseries Sensei is easily claw-gripped. I tend to sit somewhere between a claw and a palm grip, and it feels just fine to me.

This isn't a keyboard thread, but it should be. I picked up a Steelseries 6GV2 keyboard yesterday. Coming from an MS Natural, it's hard to get used to the straight layout again, and the smaller right shift key is a bit irritating, but the key motion is silky smooth. Oddly, I haven't played a single game on it yet, though, so I'll have to get back to you all on that.

• PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    The Mamba runs wired or wireless. Both mode work identically well, and short of your battery dying there is no way you'd know you're on a wireless mouse. It's basically a Deathadder with the option to run wireless.

If I'd only ever use it wired, is there any reason not to get a deathadder over a mamba?

If I'd only ever use it wired, is there any reason not to get a deathadder over a mamba?

Nope. If you hate wireless, just get a Deathadder.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    For a while, the Mamba was the only one with the newest and highest DPI sensor but now that Razer has brought the other models up to date, there is no reason other than ergonomics, button placement, and price.

• InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    So, I've finally had it with Razer's shit.

The first mouse of theirs I bought, the Lachesis, developed fucking horrible problems with its sensor. Any movement towards or away from the surface moves the mouse pointer diagonally, and with the DPI set to any level usable for gaming this means you're constantly putting rounds over your enemies' right shoulders as they kill you.

Being assured that this was a rare problem, I bought a Deathadder 3.5G. Guess what, it's started to go crazy after a year or so of use, transposing buttons. Scroll down? Nah, we're scrolling you up twice. Left click? Nah, that was totally the RMB you pressed.

I've ignored it for a while now, but it's now at the point where the wheel is unusable. So, I need a new mouse, and I'm fucked if I'm giving Razer any more of my money.

I palm grip with the ball of my hand on the mouse mat, so I'm after a fairly sizeable mouse.

I've had a bit of a play with a RAT 7 and I love the finger shelves, but it's not particularly comfy, and the whole thing seems a bit shaky.

The G500 looks like a good pick, but I've heard it has positive acceleration which is an instant deal breaker. The G400 doesn't have that problem I hear.

Guide me with your wisdom.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Insanity wrote: »
    The first mouse of theirs I bought, the Lachesis, developed fucking horrible problems with its sensor. Any movement towards or away from the surface moves the mouse pointer diagonally
    Known problem with the sensor.
    I've had a bit of a play with a RAT 7 and I love the finger shelves, but it's not particularly comfy, and the whole thing seems a bit shaky.
    It also has the same problem as the Lachesis. It uses the same sensor and everything.
    The G500 looks like a good pick, but I've heard it has positive acceleration which is an instant deal breaker.
    I haven't had any noticeable issues with positive accel on the G500, and from what I've read if you're using a cloth mat you might get negative acceleration.

I wonder if it's from having a mouse pad that isn't perfectly flat/rigid. The sensor used in the G500/G9x/Xai (and some other mice) is sensitive enough to detect a cloth mouse pad deforming under weight (which is way more noticeable if you set it to 5700 DPI), and hard plastic surfaces are not perfectly flat and may flex (like my older Ratpadz XT would).

I use a glass mouse pad, FWIW.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    Even on my hard mat, the Lachesis has a huge lift-off distance and z-axis problems. If it's the same sensor as the RAT then I'll give that a miss too.

It's a pain really, the deathadder on a qpad ct works perfectly for me, I just don't want to have to replace it every year when it breaks again.

gBpkw.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    I have no weird problems with my G500

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
    I cannot stress enough how happy I am with my Sensei.