As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Starbound] Terraria in space, or something.

EchoEcho ski-bapba-dapModerator mod
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
Starbound.png

So. Yeah. This came out of the blue. I think the artist from Terraria is involved, but otherwise it's a different team.

What it is:

Start with "Terraria-ish".

Then add a space station HQ, procedurally generated planets, planets having procedural/random content, NPCs to find (that might have quests for you), departments in the space station to unlock and improve...

And then you can claim a planet. Then you can terraform it. Change the weather. Build shit.

Yes, you can pilot this.

mech.gif

I'll just steal some bits from their About page:
A story within a sandbox

Starbound begins with you fleeing your homeworld in a space shuttle, just as it’s destroyed by an unknown enemy. With nothing to guide it, the escape pod shoots into space without direction, becoming hopelessly lost in a sea of stars. As luck would have it, the space shuttle makes contact with an abandoned space station and an adventure begins that will take you hurtling across the universe. Starbound contains both quests and story driven missions, buried inside its vast sandbox universe.

The Space Station

The space station in Starbound is sprawling and full of potential. Throughout your travels you’ll find ways to upgrade and repair it, restoring it to its former glory. You’ll need to find a crew, conduct research, catch rare creatures, and unlock its multitude of facilities. From a factory capable of producing mechs to labs where captured enemies can be studied and trained, the space station contains everything you need to explore the universe.

Endless Planets to visit

Planets in Starbound are entirely procedurally generated and filled to the brim with unique content. We went into the planet generation with one simple goal: no two planets should be the same. By procedurally generating even the smallest details, we’re doing just that. Not only is the terrain of the planet procedurally generated, but the weather, the gravity, the difficulty level, the plant life, the behaviour and appearance of alien creatures, and much more all contain random or procedurally generated elements.

Wiki with more information

Echo on

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Wow, this looks like Terraria: The Actually Fun Edition. I'm pretty excited.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I never got into Terraria because the landscapes were kind of dull and climbing the 'tech tree' felt really daunting. I hope this is more exciting from the beginning.

It is promising a lot though, so I'll believe it when I see it.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Looked at the screenshots and I'm in love already.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    This sounds like exactly what I've been wanting from the Terraria formula. I'm so into this already.

EDIT: The screenshot of the arctic planet features what looks like one of the player characters walking hand-in-hand with a penguin. Day one.

BloodySloth on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    This sounds like exactly what I've been wanting from the Terraria formula. I'm so into this already.

EDIT: The screenshot of the arctic planet features what looks like one of the player characters walking hand-in-hand with a penguin. Day one.
    Oh man, and the penguins have a king, with a crown?! yessss

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    This game looks like Terraria if Terraria had original, interesting ideas

Consider me sold

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2012
    This does look pretty awesome.

I wish their staff page didn't make it look so much like a mod project. That and the lack of release date that I saw, makes me really hope this doesn't vanish. =(

Morkath on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    They probably know they have my money, but I'd like to be sure, and the only way I know to be sure is to give them my money.

An endless cycle that has no end until this ginormous pile of cash goes somewhere.

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    I... I want, nay, NEED this.

Badly.

In ways I can't think of because I'm too busy needing it.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Here's a wiki (added to OP) that gets spoonfed some occasional info. Mostly dev quotes at the moment.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:

What? You must not have been doing it right, if that's possible. Terraria is awesome.

Anyway you had me sold at Terrria in space. I'm really getting into space sci-fi stuff lately. My nerdiness is expanding.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

What? You must not have been doing it right, if that's possible. Terraria is awesome.

Anyway you had me sold at Terrria in space. I'm really getting into space sci-fi stuff lately. My nerdiness is expanding.

Yeah, the anti-Terraria crap in here is pretty ridiculous. I'm surprised.

Anyway, YES WILL BUY THIS.

• Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    basically what i want from this is.... terraria and space station 13 have a baby.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    1726009-shut_up_and_take_my_money_super.jpg

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

Terraria is awesome. But it did lack in motivation for building structures though.

All you really needed was a grid of boxes for NPCs and you were covered.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    When I saw this in the Terraria thread my jaw hit the floor. I really hope they deliver on all the goals they're setting for this game.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    When I saw this in the Terraria thread my jaw hit the floor. I really hope they deliver on all the goals they're setting for this game.

Yeah. I really like Terraria and all, but it's still mainly a sandbox game where you can't really figure out goals without reading a wiki to figure out what you can do. (And still way more of a game than Minecraft.)

• Options
    NezerNezer Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Weeeeelll, I spent 9 bucks on Terraria and played it for nearly 100 hours. So, take my money?

Nezer on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Echo wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

Yeah. I really like Terraria and all, but it's still mainly a sandbox game where you can't really figure out goals without reading a wiki to figure out what you can do. (And still way more of a game than Minecraft.)

I don't have a problem with Terraria necessarily. It's sandboxy, in a limited space (but that's perfectly okay) with limited goals. And they extend it now and then and it's neat. Actually, I do have a problem with it - as it stands, not all combat styles are equally viable.

• Options
    AtheraalAtheraal Registered User regular

Oh man, and the penguins have a king, with a crown?! yessss

penguin1.gif

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I love everything about this except for the character sprites. Which is weird considering the lead guy was Terraria's art guy and that game nailed it.

• Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    I'm conflicted over the art as well and had posted about it in the Terraria thread. At first I thought the sprites were just plain bad. Oddly enough, now that I've read the description for the new game and I want it so desperately, the art doesn't look as bad. I'm not sure what that means.

• Options
    I like the character sprites in this. Looks way more varied, and kinda makes me think about Cave Story.

• Options
    Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    It means we are all suckers for a new game. Exact same excitement for Terraria when it was close to release, mixed with a smattering of PBat rage.

VRXwDW7.png
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    I wish I had a large catapult that I could stuff with money and then shoot at these people. I feel that is the only way to truly convey how much I want this game and how willing I am to give these people my monies.

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    If there isn't a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (or stars or universe, to avoid potential legal trouble) item in this then they're missing an amazing opportunity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Axen wrote:
    I wish I had a large catapult that I could stuff with money and then shoot at these people. I feel that is the only way to truly convey how much I want this game and how willing I am to give these people my monies.

Just to be clear it's not from the makers of Terraria, only their art guy is crossing over to work on this game too.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    I look at this (based on the artwork) and I can't help but think of Tiny Tower, and the grip that game had on my life.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Tiny Tower? I've heard of that.

Is it anything like SimTower? I use to play that all the time.

I miss all those sim games.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    Tiny Tower? I've heard of that.

Is it anything like SimTower? I use to play that all the time.

I miss all those sim games.

tiny tower is an iphone game that is basically a produce crap that takes 3,6,12,4000 hours to make, and when you get enough money from selling crap you can build another floor, the key difference is its a time dependent game and only 1 store/residency per level.

now mega mall story by kairosoft is a very close representation to sim tower with a kairosoft spin on it.

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    Yes, please.

PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Bullio wrote:
    If there isn't a "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" (or stars or universe, to avoid potential legal trouble) item in this then they're missing an amazing opportunity.

There is actually going to be an in-game, editable resource, where people can log their discoveries. Which leads me to believe that while the game is procedurally generated, it's going to do so more along the lines of Inside a Star-Filled Sky or Noctis (if any of you guys are familiar with that). In other words, while content is procedurally generated, we'll all be playing with the same seed, exploring the same universe. This may sound limiting at first, but if you consider the games that I've mentioned, they are practically infinite, when you get to the edge of known space, the game just hits that seed and keeps generating new content. This is a neat system and I hope I have it figured right as what they are doing with this game.

But yeah, if they don't give the HHGttG a nod with that resource, they are missing a golden opportunity.

Also, all my dicks. money, etc.

Drake on
  • Options
    Drake ChambersDrake Chambers Lay out my formal shorts. Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    Bullio wrote:

There is actually going to be an in-game, editable resource, where people can log their discoveries. Which leads me to believe that while the game is procedurally generated, it's going to do so more along the lines of Inside a Star-Filled Sky or Noctis (if any of you guys are familiar with that). In other words, while content is procedurally generated, we'll all be playing with the same seed, exploring the same universe. This may sound limiting at first, but if you consider the games that I've mentioned, they are practically infinite, when you get to the edge of known space, the game just hits that seed and keeps generating new content. This is a neat system and I hope I have it figured right as what they are doing with this game.

But yeah, if they don't give the HHGttG a nod with that resource, they are missing a golden opportunity.

Also, all my dicks. money, etc.

My understanding was that everyone's universe would essentially be unique, but that when you discovered a new procedurally-generated planet the game would provide you the planet's seed in the form of coordinates. If another player enters those coordinates (in a nav computer, for example) their game would generate the same planet.

End result is would basically be the same though.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    I must be in the minority in that I hated the terraria sprites personally.

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Forums are live. Enter if you dare.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    Well now, brown cow. This does look interesting.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    Been following this since the site went live. Release date is "end of summer" at this point. There's quite an awesome dev Q&A linked in the FAQ page on the site that you might want to take a look at. Also Blue's sticky post in the general discussion forum.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Seeing as I always pretended each of the worlds I played in Terraria were another planet / dimension my character was visiting (building a metal brick 'portal station' in each) this is basically what I want from Terraria.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Already impressed by the variety of penguin-based NPCs they've shown.

penguin1.pnglizards.pngdeer.png

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    Forums are live. Enter if you dare.

Fool me once.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
This discussion has been closed.