As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] Lay off the DLC arguments. USE SPOILER TAGS

• SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    In my ongoing saga of trying to get Shadowbroker installed following the directions by tech support to uninstall ME2 and Origin completely manually by deleting directories (including where the save files are, luckily I was smart enough to look in there first and back those ups elsewhere) and deleting some registry keys, reinstalling Origin, redownloading and reinstalling ME2, aaaaaaand... the executable still doesn't get past the integrity check it wasn't getting past yesterday. What a giant waste of time.

steam_sig.png
  • SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Hewn wrote:
    Sorry if this was asked in the other thread...

But how reliable is Best Buy with pre-orders? I was able to pre-order the CE from their website, with in-store pickup, last week when it was out of stock elsewhere. Then it immediately went out of stock again, to the cue of internet folks saying they did the same thing during Christmas and lots of people had orders cancelled the day before release.

I'm aware nobody can know for sure, but I want to know if my searching for a CE should go from "relaxed" to "panic panic".
    They totally screwed me with my CE of Dragon Age 2, had to get EA to fix it on their end.

steam_sig.png
  • jeddy leejeddy lee Registered User regular
    After spending all weekend kicking ass in multiplayer, I think I'm going to give it a rest till release. I'm having a blast with it, but I'm starting to feel the repetition. I don't won't to burn out on multi before the game comes out because of only one enemy faction and two locations.

Backlog Challenge: 0%
    0/8

PS2
    FF X replay

PS3
    God of War 1&2 HD
    Rachet and Clank Future
    MGS 4
    Prince of Persia

Bayonetta
    Fable 3

DS
    FF: 4 heroes of light
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Apparently someone just posted a list of all the war assets you can acquire in ME3 to get the different endings, it's a lot. Hundreds. Several of which date back to minor ME1 quests.

So those of you who thought you were safe not collecting the Matriarch's writings and scanning for minerals... live in fear!

• LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Awesome OP!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    From the previous thread:
    htm wrote:
    Someone figure out the face code for this

haleshep1.jpg

I NEEDS IT

I present to you...

753.QGG.G11.W8Q.TA1.65P.9EG.411.PA6.5J7.267.116

Hale Shepard

I think I got pretty close. Whoever made that picture either modded in violet eyes or else needs to color calibrate their machine. Otherwise, there should be an uncanny resemblance between that code and the Shep in the pic.

Someone test it out and let me know what you think.

No, the violet eyes are in the game. The problem is, they are not selectable in ME2. The only way to get them legitamently is to import a ME1 Shepard :(

My Shepard has them, which is also why I can't change her face in ME2 (because they get removed :(). Crossing my fingers they are back in ME3 (in fact, I should look in the demo...)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    Apparently someone just posted a list of all the war assets you can acquire in ME3 to get the different endings, it's a lot. Hundreds. Several of which date back to minor ME1 quests.

So those of you who thought you were safe not collecting the Matriarch's writings and scanning for minerals... live in fear!

AHAHAHAHA I knew all that OCD collecting would pay off one day!

tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    evilthecat wrote:

So I got *every* ME1 thingy, but does that really all carry over? Should I be building up my resources in ME2 at all? I'm sitting at like 20k each (except Eezo which is 10k).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

Yeah. That was the stuff that was actually posted in the last thread.

I read halfway through it but then stopped because I didn't want to know that shit. Luckily I only skimmed so I don't really remember any of it.

Really, if you want your first ME3 playthrough to be as fresh as possible you best watch out.

Dragkonias on
    Warlock82 wrote:
    evilthecat wrote:

So I got *every* ME1 thingy, but does that really all carry over? Should I be building up my resources in ME2 at all? I'm sitting at like 20k each (except Eezo which is 10k).

I can't imagine the mining carrying over as we already recieved a reward for that.
    I could see the dogtags making a difference (moral, perhaps). Not sure about the writings.

Come to think of it, there's this batarian attack on an alliance base and they fire off 2 missiles at a neighbouring planet (me2). You get to choose to save people or infrastructure. Silly me, looks like I won't have an additional base to start counter-reaper sorties from >.<

Let's see what else could be of use...

That Ish sidemission would perhaps give you a covert way into omega to retake it.
    Keeping that anti-human politician alive could swing either way.
    oh no, what if that thresher maw on tuchanka is the one from the rite? aaaaaaah!

I'm going to avoid that list as I don't want to feel gimped in anyway.

Yeah, no way you have enough to upgrade everything. Some upgrades cost 25k each.

Yeah, no way you have enough to upgrade everything. Some upgrades cost 25k each.

This is after buying everything. Also I think my numbers are off. Maybe it was 2mil? I don't remember how many zeroes there were :P

• WappaduWappadu Registered User regular
    I came late to the multiplayer demo party. It's been frustrating trying to play with a friend and join the same public game, but at the same time when we make our own it typically doesn't fill up. Any tips or easy changes to the setup that I haven't seen along the lines of a "join as group" option?

Oh, you mean stockpiling for the Alliance War effort. :D

I didn't look at the list, but I doubt that's the case. Plus there are going to be a few big paragon/renegade decisions that are supposed to bite you in the ass. Not make things impossible, just more difficult to accomplish.

• ZyrxilZyrxil Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote:
    cptrugged wrote:
    All I know is that they better account for the content of the Shadow Broker DLC
    If Liara goes back to cold fish on me I'm gonna be pissed. One of the best things about that DLC was that it actually got you back on the Liara track. (if you paragon interrupt that is)

One thing I noticed was that Shadow Broker and Arrival offer very few actual choices. This is because the DLC is designed so ME3 can assume they happened either way with no major story ramifications! I dawned upon this realization when I was arguing with one of my friends who says "Paid DLC is dumb I shouldn't have to pay for things that are integral to the plot." Well, you're not paying for things that are necessary for the plot, you're paying for backstory, like an interactive novel, since it will happen no matter what.

So, what I'm saying is, I think they'll be accounting for the content of the Shadow Broker DLC.

Well it is dumb. So what if it's backstory? It's backstory that they -assume- will be played in ME3, which is no different than if they sliced out the entire loyalty quest for Garrus and made you pay for it. Liara is not a throwaway character in the story.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm not looking at any lists. I'm just going to get my ME2 save ready and get as much stuff done as possible and hope. Might play through twice before the 6th if possible just to get a level 30 shep and all that.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Except it isn't really a big deal.

ME3 for people who played LotSB:

Liara: "Hey, Shepard, remember that time we teamed up and stopped the Shadow Broker?"
    Shepard: "Yeah, that was awesome."

ME3 for people who didn't play LotSB:

Liara: "Hey, Shepard, remember that time we teamed up and stopped the Shadow Broker?"

If you want to know how awesome it was...I guess you have to stop being cheap or something.

• SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Also, I am convinced that everyone we like is going to die horribly in this game. Also, is there a mod to make planet scanning less tedious?

SniperGuy on
    jdarksun wrote:
    That list in question - how big of a spoiler would you guys say it is? I'd like to know what I should have done in ME1 and ME2, but I don't want to know anything about ME3.

It pretty much gives you the point values of everything you can do in ME1, ME2, and ME3.

And spoils pass/fail events in ME3.

So yeah, it is big.

Dragkonias wrote:

If you want to know how awesome it was...I guess you have to stop being cheap or something.

LotSB didn't add a decision, though.
    The other DLC (Overlord, Kasumi) both added stuff that could tip stuff in me3.
    I don't like the idea of being forced to take an outcome because bioware/ea/whoever is greedy.

edited February 2012
    Yeah. They're greedy...greedy for releasing a quality product that people actually wanted that you are in no way forced to buy if you don't want it.

I'm not saying they did it out of the kindness of their hearts or anything, but you guys say a lot of silly stuff.

Dragkonias on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Maz- wrote:
    HOLY SHIT KROGAN SOLDIER

It was the first alien I unlocked (after two great Silver games, thanks Athracht!) and since I've been playing Human Soldier all the time, I had loads of points to spend.

So I spec him and hop into some random Bronze game to try him out..and who is that game with me? Two other Krogan Soldiers and some Turian.

It was absolutely hilarious. All the time you would just hear "WUAAAAH..AAAAAH...AAAAAAARGH..WUAAAAAAH..JAAAAAAH!" while some Cerberus fools were being headbutted and pimpslapped around.
    Between waves me and the other 2 Krogans would gather and spam the basic melee attack, screaming and headbutting all day err' day.

I think I found my favorite class once the game is released <3
    The best part about the Krogan is that they're surprisingly versatile. They can carry guns the size of Mars and still spam Carnage for great crowd control. 200% recharge speed with the Mantis is just sick and 56% with the Widow? Egads. Also, since the Krogan has such stupidly strong melee you don't need a backup gun. Your skull is your backup gun. The 30%DR and massive shields and health are just gravy. Krogan Soldier might just be one of the best Gold Tier classes if used creatively.

wWuzwvJ.png
    edited February 2012
    I'm pretty much going to make a Krogan Sentinel with maxed out Tech Armor and the strongest AR/Shotgun I can get. Fuck cooldowns.

Silly bitches, your bullets cannot harm me.

Dragkonias on
    Dragkonias wrote:

*shrug* Mass Effect 2 refers to events of Mass Effect: Galaxies (the shitty iPhone game) even if you didn't play/link it (which from what I understand doesn't even apparently do anything).

Heck the first novel gives you Saren and Anderson's complete backstory.

You have to buy that too.

• Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Is the Hornet any good? right now I mainly use the Shuriken as my go to SMG.

Bless your heart.
    What does Tech Armor do, anyway?

In ME3? Damage reduction at the cost of power cooldown speed. But you can get bonuses to counter act that.

The hornet SMG is okay, but it jumps all over the place, I prefer the locust even if it has been nerfed.

Dragkonias wrote:
    Yeah. They're greedy...greedy for releasing a quality product that people actually wanted that you are in no way forced to buy if you don't want it.

I'm not saying they did it out of the kindness of their hearts or anything, but you guys say a lot of silly stuff.

There's a difference between saying "we value the playthrough of our DLC at $8 because it gives you something to do, look at, explore, etc" and "we want $8 dollars regardless of what you want to do with the DLC oh but later on we might release something that will let you preset some variables. That'll be $15, please". Why EA/Bioware go to such lengths to be assholes is beyond me.

I suppose I can just wait for Gibbed to sort it out free of charge, though, so it's all ok!

jdarksun wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:
    That list in question - how big of a spoiler would you guys say it is? I'd like to know what I should have done in ME1 and ME2, but I don't want to know anything about ME3.
    It pretty much gives you the point values of everything you can do in ME1, ME2, and ME3.

So yeah, it is big.
    Anybody willing to strip out the ME3 stuff and just post the ME1 & 2 point values?

I would very much like to see that. I'm curious what all imports this time around. I'm also slightly curious how well it handles all of ME2's bugs (esp. ME1 import bugs), though I doubt this list will given any insights on that other than maybe ignoring those particular quests.

I do think it would be funny if you see Conrad again and they make some joke about him halucinating about holding a gun to his face or something :P

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    The first alien I wanted to unlock will be the last one I actually get: The Quarian Engineer. Got all the others already. Personal ranking:

1. Salarian Infiltrator - With cloak and energy drain plus a heavy pistol centurions and nemesi become a joke. Only problem is being outnumbered, but then you can drop a mine and cloak behind enemy lines
    2. Krogan Soldier - Fortification + Rage + Highest health and shields of any race = Near invulnerability. Chargin Enemies is extremely satisfying
    3. Turian Sentinel - Can take on all enemies with Sentinel armor, Warp/Overload for defenses and stability bonus for the assault rifle makes him good at long range
    4. Asari Adept - Too broken, don't think it's fun anymore to play as her
    5. Drell Vanguard - The only class I'd actually say is pretty worthless

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    evilthecat wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

There's a difference between saying "we value the playthrough of our DLC at $8 because it gives you something to do, look at, explore, etc" and "we want $8 dollars regardless of what you want to do with the DLC oh but later on we might release something that will let you preset some variables. That'll be $15, please". Why EA/Bioware go to such lengths to be assholes is beyond me.

What exactly are you talking about here, aside from demonizing any kind of dlc?

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    Looking at keybindings I couldn't help but see the controls for getting into an
    Atlas
    . If we get to romp around in one of those in MP for something that could be hilariously fun. Watch it be in SP only though (Everyone grabbing one to fight an incoming Giant Squid Reaper thing would be cool..Or a thresher maw.)

Bless your heart.
    evilthecat wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

I suppose I can just wait for Gibbed to sort it out free of charge, though, so it's all ok!

They can value their product at whatever price they see fit, and as a consumer you can choose whether or not you purchase said product.

That how commerce works. These products don't appear out of thin air.

evilthecat wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

I'm not demonising DLC, I'm pointing my finger at the big mean faceless corporation and crying my eyes out.
    Dragkonias thinks capitalism is great and probably bleeds red white and republican, Zyrxil thinks DLC is dumb and Chaoshat thinks DLC doesn't include plot points (which it obviously does).
    Pick something mildly related to DLC and go nuts!

• Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    I'm shocked you put AA so low on that list. It's the ultimate assist class.

And it's not broken until you're sailing through gold. ;)

I put it so low because I'm ranking them by how much I like playing as them. If I were to rank them by usefullness:

1. Asari Adept - Stasis Bubble + Sniper Rifle/Warp. Enough said.
    2. Salarian Infiltrator - Excellent "Medic"
    3. Turian Sentinel - Jack of all Trades, good at dealing with everything
    4. Krogan Soldier - Best tank in the game
    5. Drell Vanguard - What can he do?

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

No, I'm actually pretty unpatrioitic(I don't stand for the flag or anything...complete badass). I'm also all for turning the White House black(again...badass).

I just don't think its unreasonable for people to demand compensation for...or *shock* try to profit from things they create.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

jdarksun wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:
    jdarksun wrote:

So yeah, it is big.
    Anybody willing to strip out the ME3 stuff and just post the ME1 & 2 point values?

Do not click this if you do not want to see spoilers.
    Rachni Queen Saved: 100
    Wrex Dead: 25
    Wrex Alive: 30
    Ashley Alive: 25
    Kaiden Alive: 25
    Kirrahe Alive: 20
    Destiny Ascension Saved: 70

Jack Alive: 25
    Jacob Alive: 25
    Miranda Alive: 25
    Samara Alive: 25
    Mordin Alive: 25
    Kasumi Alive and Loyal: 25
    Zaeed Alive and Loyal: 25
    Chambers Alive: 10
    Chakwas Alive: 10
    Conrad Alive: 1

David Archer remained at Overlord: 25
    Base Kept: 110
    Base Destroyed: 100

There are consequences to other actions, but they don't have point values attached and it's not entirely clear what they involve.

Dragkonias wrote:
    No, I'm actually pretty unpatrioitic(I don't stand for the flag or anything...complete badass). I'm also all for turning the White House black(again...badass).

I just don't think its unreasonable for people to demand compensation for...or *shock* try to profit from things they create.

riiiiight but when they demand an amount disproportionate for the service or product rendered then one could ... COULD ... describe said person/group/entity as greedy.

On a sidenote ... Obama was black? really?

• PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    evilthecat wrote:
    evilthecat wrote:
    Dragkonias wrote:

I'm not demonising DLC, I'm pointing my finger at the big mean faceless corporation and crying my eyes out.
    Dragkonias thinks capitalism is great and probably bleeds red white and republican, Zyrxil thinks DLC is dumb and Chaoshat thinks DLC doesn't include plot points (which it obviously does).
    Pick something mildly related to DLC and go nuts!

I feel sorry for all these people whose Internets do not contain the Mass Effect wiki. Without forking over their hard owned monies, they'll never know what happened in that DLC.