As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(¯`º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º SPARKLE MOTION [CHAT]!!!! º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º´¯)

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    why does the sheer scale of the ocean disturb you so profoundly, Jacob?

I think because upsizing something kind of everyday to an astronomic scale really drives home the size of things in a way that just thinking about "millions of miles" does not. there is crazy, genuinely huge stuff in the universe - stars bigger than our solar system, walls of galaxies - but thinking about it doesn't weird me out because my brain has long since shifted gears.

imagine flying straight towards jupiter

Jupiter going from a tiny cream-coloured dot, to the size of a coin

to eventually filling your entire vision

and then you start to descend into the planet, swallowing you whole

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    i read a story in the scary stories book about a bride who went dancing at her wedding and died because the wedding dress had been taken from a corpse and was laced with poisonous preservatives which she absorbed through her skin

i was... nine, i think

I remember that one. I remember how awful I felt after I read it.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

not our ocean, he was talking about an ocean where saturn could float around in

i know, "the ocean" is referring to the ocean that he described. it seems to awaken in him a primordial terror.

that it doesn't in you is just because you're not fathoming just how big such an ocean would be.

i am fathoming it.

the thought does not awaken any primordial terror. the simple fact of a thing being enormous is not terrifying to me. it would awe me, and being stuck in a boat in the middle of such an ocean would make me extremely unhappy, but the thought of it existing does not freak me out.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    u kids have no imagination

come back when you can get nightmares from casper the friendly ghost

l2gs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Does everybody remember some book from childhood that creeped them out?

I had a creepy book when I was a kid, too.

It was one of those 'unsolved mysteries' books that was about ghosts and aliens and demonic possession and spontaneous combustion and other X-Files-ish stuff.

One of the pictures that creeped me out from it was a pencil drawing of the Flatwoods Monster. it may have been this drawing, or a similar one: http://www.wvculture.org/goldenseal/fall02/images/graybarker.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Feral wrote:
    Hmm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scary_Stories_to_Tell_in_the_Dark
    This series is listed as being the most challenged series of books from 1990–1999[2] and seventh most challenged from 2000-2009 [3] by the American Library Association for its violence. Also there remains the problem of it being classified as a children's book, due to the surreal and nightmarish illustrations contained within.

Awesome.

Some of the stories were pretty great too, if I remember right. There was one about a scarecrow that scared the shit out of young me. Three volumes, if I remember right. They got pulled from our elementary school library because kids were seeing shit like this:
    BudZj.jpg
    And getting traumatized.

My school had all three volumes but they were kept behind the desk to prevent the kids younger than 6th grade from getting them. When I was in 3rd grade, after schiool the other teacher's kids and I would sneak behind the desk and grab it and go into the dark media room and read it.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    Ocean scares me too. More in that I wouldn't want to be out of sight of land. I also don't like salt water.

Freshwater for life, yo.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:

not our ocean, he was talking about an ocean where saturn could float around in

i know, "the ocean" is referring to the ocean that he described. it seems to awaken in him a primordial terror.

that it doesn't in you is just because you're not fathoming just how big such an ocean would be.

i am fathoming it.

the thought does not awaken any primordial terror. the simple fact of a thing being enormous is not terrifying to me. it would awe me, and being stuck in a boat in the middle of such an ocean would make me extremely unhappy, but the thought of it existing does not freak me out.

And then you realize it's not an ocean, but is instead a gigantic gelatinous cube.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    i read a story in the scary stories book about a bride who went dancing at her wedding and died because the wedding dress had been taken from a corpse and was laced with poisonous preservatives which she absorbed through her skin

i was... nine, i think

I forget the story but the picture of the chick with no eyes terrified me for ages.

jesus looking up some of these they'd be scary in a white wolf book much less a kids book

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I fucking LOVE crazy bitches

hot and crazy is catnip to me

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    also the sex was great

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Ocean scares me too. More in that I wouldn't want to be out of sight of land. I also don't like salt water.

Freshwater for life, yo.

I don't like to be far enough from the sea that I don't know where it is anymore. Not a fear, but I just like it less there then.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    so this exists

I want it DON'T YOU JUDGE ME I LIKE MY BATHS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcS-C-OwphI

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

Freshwater for life, yo.
    Just bring a saltwater to freshwater convertor with you

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:

i was... nine, i think
    I forget the story but the picture of the chick with no eyes terrified me for ages.

jesus looking up some of these they'd be scary in a white wolf book much less a kids book
    Those books were the fucking greatest. I owned them, and loved them. They're also some of the most frequently banned books. Because most parents are giant wusses.

• Options
    bum bada bum bada bum bada bum bum bum

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

OOOOOOOOOOH

BARACUDA

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Feral wrote:

that doesn't scare me but it does send a kind of shiver up the spine.

I really liked the skyboxes on the random planets in Mass Effect for this sort of thing.

• Options
    Ludious wrote:
    so this exists

I want it DON'T YOU JUDGE ME I LIKE MY BATHS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcS-C-OwphI

this seems like a counterproductive bath

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

Freshwater for life, yo.

I'm pretty sure you can be out of sight of land on freshwater.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Feral that picture is both goofy and fucking terrifying.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Podly wrote:

Crazy bitches don't entice me at all. I like my women sane.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    you all suck for ignoring my West Side Story joke

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Podly wrote:

wait till one of them pulls a knife

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Also, they just did an anniversary edition of those Scary Story books, and got rid of all of the awesome pictures, and ceased publication of the old ones. Such fucking bullshit.

• Options
    Jacobkosh wrote:
    Feral wrote:

that doesn't scare me but it does send a kind of shiver up the spine.

I really liked the skyboxes on the random planets in Mass Effect for this sort of thing.

I was so sad to find out that instead of improving them, they'd just taken the mako sections out entirely for ME2.

Driving around an alien planet was awesome. And the skyboxes, man.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    i would love a sane woman

if they existed

amirite

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    mrflippy wrote:

Freshwater for life, yo.

I'm pretty sure you can be out of sight of land on freshwater.

you know land is p close in any direction

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:

I think because upsizing something kind of everyday to an astronomic scale really drives home the size of things in a way that just thinking about "millions of miles" does not. there is crazy, genuinely huge stuff in the universe - stars bigger than our solar system, walls of galaxies - but thinking about it doesn't weird me out because my brain has long since shifted gears.

The first time I sailed solo past the sight of land, I was in awe of how empty things were. How very alone I was at that moment. That was my first thought. My second thought is that if I decided to go without pants then no one would see or care. My third thought was that was a good way to get sunburned.
    desc wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote:
    desc wrote:
    Purchased: the new Margaret Weiss Cortex Marvel RPG.

This looks pretty interesting!

FATE and Hollowpoint are the two systems I'm hot on now, but damned if I don't want to try this out too.

Isn't that the same system as Smallville?

Kinda sorta -- there's funny dice pools but at a glance it seems a bit different under the hood.

Smallville is more I Love Clark Kent D6 + I hate Kryptonite D8. This is like a pool of dice, some o which can be turned into d4s in exchange for plot points, plus spending pp's on bonus dice when needed vs. The big pile of doom dicethe DM is using to represent the threat of the entire situation around you.

A lot of what really intrigues me is the whole approach to the game: the basic core rules manual is now out, with a dozen heroes and a mini-adventure based on "the breakout" (new avengers tpb vol 1, in other words).

What's interesting is that they're going to release complete books based on big events -- I believe Civil War and Annihilation are thbfirst two. So the book will have an entire multi-part campaign with big plot points and decisions and such all sketched outfit you and slathered with licensed art. It will have write-ups of the characters from the comics statted as would be relevant to that story. this really interests me: different books will have very different interpretations of, say, spider-man with different Milestones pertaining to the specific story (general goals for the character to hit and be rewarded).

There will be two versions of each book -- just the adventure and characters like any predone pro adventure, and then an edition with all of the rules and the adventure.

Apparently the idea is not just to sell a supers sandbox but to sell you a marvel event and system and characters all in one package.

That makes sense since apparently the license requires 16 books. I might have to get my hands on the core book.

• Options
    i would love a sane woman

if they existed

amirite
    choosy men choose men

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:
    Also, they just did an anniversary edition of those Scary Story books, and got rid of all of the awesome pictures, and ceased publication of the old ones. Such fucking bullshit.

That is terrible! I need to get copies of the old ones before they become collector's items and cost a fortune.

• Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote:

that sucks

I got all three from my schools book fair for godsakes

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Wash wrote:
    Podly wrote:
    this absolutely crazy girl I was hooking up with over the summer was deathly afraid of fish

like, she couldn't go to chinatown because they just have the fishmongers setting up shop in the street

god she was fucking bonkers

why were you hooking up with her if she was bonkers?

Crazy women are meant to be good in bed.

:|

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    ・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚ gurl was walkin2 skewl wit her bf n they were crossin da rode. (dis so sad btw mak u cry). she sed 'bbz wil u luv me 4evr' he said 'NO..' da gurl cried n ran across da rode b4 da green man came on da sine. she got hit by a car. boy was cryin and went 2 pic up her body. she was ded. he wispered 2 her corpse 'i ment 2 sey i wil luv u FIVE-evr....' (dat mean he luv her mor dan 4evr...) like if dis made u cry 。・:*:・゚★,。・:*:・゚

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    My massive phobia is snakes. Hate them. All of them. The thought of them bothers me.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Feral that picture is both goofy and fucking terrifying.

My dad used to go into paranoia mode once in a while about criminals. Like, he'd hear or see something in the backyard and he'd tell me and my mom to go hide in a room while he'd go into the back with his gun because there might be somebody sneaking about!

99% of the time, it was nothing, 1% of the time it was a stray dog. Sometimes he'd shoot the dog if he thought the dog was a threat to our animals.

I think when I was a kid, my brain developed this idea that there could be a creepy scary thing in the backyard at any time! and it didn't matter much whether that scary thing was a criminal or an alien.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Thanatos wrote:

That is terrible! I need to get copies of the old ones before they become collector's items and cost a fortune.

Haha, look at the Amazon page

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0060835206/

Every single review is one star, complaining about the loss of the incredible illustrations.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    "Don't you ever laugh as the hearse goes by,
    For you may be the next one to die.
    They wrap you up in a big white sheet
    From your head down to your feet.
    They put you in a big black box
    And cover you up with dirt and rocks.
    All goes well for about a week,
    Then your coffin begins to leak.
    The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out,
    The worms play pinochle in your snout,
    They eat your eyes, they eat your nose,
    They eat the jelly between your toes.
    A big green worm with rolling eyes
    Crawls in your stomach and out our eyes.
    Your stomach turns a slimy green,
    And pus pours out like whipping cream.
    You'll spread it on a slice of bread,
    And this is what you eat when you are dead."

• Options
    Thomamelas wrote:
    The first time I sailed solo past the sight of land, I was in awe of how empty things were. How very alone I was at that moment. That was my first thought. My second thought is that if I decided to go without pants then no one would see or care. My third thought was that was a good way to get sunburned.
    Don't underestimate satellites

• Options
    speaking of skyboxes in ME1 and ME2
    When the Derelict reaper was revealed - God, what a cool place. An ancient evil derelict in the athmosphere of a brown dwarf! - I squeed with joy

they foreshadowed that thing in such a cool way in ME1

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    What if my special talent is not being especially talented

This discussion has been closed.