As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Tower defense recommendations?

NezerNezer Registered User regular
edited February 2012 in Games and Technology
I searched the forums, and I didn't see any old threads on this. I'm looking for a tower defense game for PC. I generally love them, from casual to advanced.
I've played Defense Grid, Plants vs Zombies, Anomaly, and some free ones like Desktop TD and Protector. Any that have gotten you hooked? I need more.

Nezer on

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Defender's Quest.

It's a Tower Defense game but instead of towers, you summon RPG heroes who level up between stages.

http://www.defendersquest.com/

• Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    Get Sanctum, it's the next best thing.

• Options
    Mr. PokeylopeMr. Pokeylope Registered User regular
    I've had a lot of fun with Orcs Must Die

• Options
    slurpeepoopslurpeepoop Registered User regular
    Defender's Quest.

It's a Tower Defense game but instead of towers, you summon RPG heroes who level up between stages.

http://www.defendersquest.com/

Damned fine game. I second this recommendation wholeheartedly.

For $7, you'll easily get a good 15-20 hours out of it.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Sol Survivor on Steam is pretty good.

• Options
    IblisIblis Registered User regular
    Dungeon Defenders combines tower defense with RPG mechanics and loot grinding. If that sounds like your cup of tea, it's currently three bucks on Amazon.

Steam Account, 3DS FC: 5129-1652-5160, Origin ID: DamusWolf
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I'll third Defenders Quest for sure. Wonderful little TD game that mixes in some RPG elements.

After that for less "pure" TD games and more action-y go with Dungeon Defenders if you want TD with your action/RPG, Sanctum if you want some FPS with your traditional TD and OMD for just a fucking blast.

DD and sanctum have multi, though at this point DD's is more active and easier to find people to play with. OMD is solo only as is Defenders Quest.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Iron Brigade.

It's a fantastic combination of mech games and tower defense.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Kroyd_KrensonKroyd_Krenson Registered User regular
    Iron Brigade.

He said for the PC, I believe Iron Brigade is Xbox only.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Got Defender's Quest. Amazing. I appreciate all the other recos - I planned on checking out OMD, but haven't decided on 360 or PC. I also want DD but I've heard it's very MP intensive and I play mostly single player.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I really like Harvest: Massive Encounter. It's a bit special with RTS elements in that you need to mine for resources and then provide a power grid for all your buildings.

I don't think the demo is on Steam, but it's on the dev's site.

• Options
    StuntspikeStuntspike Don Juan De La Nooch In the midstRegistered User regular
    There are a few amazing TD games via SC2 custom maps. Other than that being a huge fan of tower defense games, I am willing to try them all at least once, pokemon TD was kinda fun for a flash game, Gemcraft is ok, and Warzone TD held my interest for almost a month. I'm kinda waiting to see a few other responses to decide which to play next myself.

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
  • Options
    Free Giraffe Rides!!!Free Giraffe Rides!!! Registered User regular
    Orcs Must Die is by far the best game that could be considered to fall under this category.

• Options
    StuntspikeStuntspike Don Juan De La Nooch In the midstRegistered User regular
    OMD isn't so much tower defense in the classic sense, I suppose it depends on what your looking for, myself personally I like to have a top down view of my map and a decent array of weaponry (towers).

"Give a man a match, and he'll be warm for a minute, but set him on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's a ton of pretty decent free ones on Kongregate or similar sites. I don't even like TD style games and many of them manage to hold my attention for at least a couple hours. Gemcraft and Ghost Hacker are two of the ones I really like.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Iron Brigade.

He said for the PC, I believe Iron Brigade is Xbox only.

Its PC cousins are Orcs Must Die and Sanctum. Iron Brigade got ESRB ratd for PC so perhaps later.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Yeah, if Iron Brigade gets a PC release, seek that one out. Had a blast with it on my 360.

• Options
    I liked the Iron Brigade demo, but I've been avoiding making more 360 purchases -they've screwed me over quite a bit. Not to mention I hate the new layout and placement of products.

• Options
    Nezer wrote:
    I liked the Iron Brigade demo, but I've been avoiding making more 360 purchases -they've screwed me over quite a bit. Not to mention I hate the new layout and placement of products.

When Zen piball comes out on Steam Ill never need XBLA again.

Oh...and Ill be giving away tables like a Santa Claus...of pinball tables.

• Options
    Oh yeah, Trenched got renamed to Iron Brigade. Wondered what I had missed. :P

• Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    No Defense Grid mentioned yet?

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Nezer wrote:
    I searched the forums, and I didn't see any old threads on this. I'm looking for a tower defense game for PC. I generally love them, from casual to advanced.
    I've played Defense Grid, Plants vs Zombies, Anomaly, and some free ones like Desktop TD and Protector. Any that have gotten you hooked? I need more.

• Options
    ssendamssendam Registered User regular
    a few years old: Immortal Defense.

• Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    As the other guys said Iron brigade is pretty cool, considering you have and Xbox... and it's a DOUBLE FINE game too.

Also, Kingdom Rush Is my favorite orthodox TD game.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    Skyrim.

"But... Frollo... Skyrim is not a tower de-"
    SKYRIM

• Options
    edited February 2012
    the_Frollo wrote:
    Skyrim.

"But... Frollo... Skyrim is not a tower de-"
    SKYRIM

In Skyrim, you fight dragons by yelling at them. I think you'll be fine.

Cantido on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Echo wrote: »

Why did they do that? It seems like a bad idea to rename a game, especially after it's already come out.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    anoffday wrote:
    Echo wrote: »

Why did they do that? It seems like a bad idea to rename a game, especially after it's already come out.

There was this whole drama that somebody in either MS or Double Fine did not research international trademarks. A dude in Portugal owns a tabletop game named Trench, and his lawyers and MS's lawyers got all lawyery. Tim Schafer and Brad Muir say they have become friends with the dude and ask that nobody send him hate mail, but this caused the game to be delayed by a lot.

The AirMech alpha has a pretty sweet Tower Defense mode.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJqw7zGS5QI

I must say that I don't like his strategy, simply on how ridiculous it looks. I got far just with land mines. Quality over quantity.

Cantido on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    I never understood that. There are only so many words. What happens when all the good ones are taken? Are we going to have to start naming games by things completely unrelevant to the game. A FPS titled Banana? Or game #237462324? People are too sue happy.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote:
    I never understood that. There are only so many words. What happens when all the good ones are taken? Are we going to have to start naming games by things completely unrelevant to the game. A FPS titled Banana? Or game #237462324? People are too sue happy.

Welcome to the horrible, archaic, fucked up world of Intellectual Property Rights.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Kingdom Rush is one of the best Flash-based TD games I've played.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    I'm going to second or third or whatever Dungeon Defenders. It's about half tower defense and half action RPG but that's why it's so much fun. You can do either or both and still end up doing very well.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    My favourite TD games are Defense Grid, Plants vs Zombies and Orcs Must Die. I see in the OP that you've played the first two, so perhaps the third will be up your alley.

I've only given a glance to DD but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I got my ass kicked in the tutorial because the towers I could place weren't terribly effective and I was hitting the guys with 500 hp for like 3-7 per shot. I'll conceed that I might just be bad at it.

Anomaly: Warezone Earth or whatever it is that makes up the accronym AWE is pretty good, though the first few levels took a little backtracking before it really clicked together for me.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Anomaly is a reverse TD game. Rather than placing the defenses to stop the waves, you control the waves and try to make it past the defenses.

• Options
    the_Frollothe_Frollo Riiiiiight.... THERE.Registered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Anomaly is a reverse TD game. Rather than placing the defenses to stop the waves, you control the waves and try to make it past the defenses.
    uh, this is very interes-
    SKYRIM

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I really should finish Defense Grid. I'm on the last mission on XBLA and I rebought it on Steam with all the extra DLC. It's just I hate the "open" levels so much that I spent the second half of the campaign youtubing' my way through them because fuck that.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Lucascraft wrote:

I should pick that up again. Played the demo, liked it a lot, bought Anomaly on a sale, but never played it.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Forar wrote: »
    I've only given a glance to DD but it wasn't really my cup of tea. I got my ass kicked in the tutorial because the towers I could place weren't terribly effective and I was hitting the guys with 500 hp for like 3-7 per shot. I'll conceed that I might just be bad at it.
    You were the victim of an unfortunate bug, in which somehow the Tutorial monsters were at Nightmare Mode levels rather than Easy Mode. It was patched sometime last month. You may want to give it another go, as it shouldn't take more than 3 to 5 shots to kill a tutorial monster with no weapon.

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    I've been playing Defender's Quest non-stop. Totally worth it, and I liked supporting a small developer. I saw Unstoppable Gorg on Steam too and that looks neat, along with the Revenge of the Titans one. I've been playing Anomaly a bit here and there too, that's good. I'll look back into Trenched when I lift my xboxlive purchase boycott. :) Looking at Kingdom Rush too.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Dillon's Rolling Western is a different take on the genre, but a fun one if you have a Nintendo 3DS.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!